Sign in to follow this  
GhostofMeanMachine99

Owens Book to Hit Walmart Stores

Phil Sheridan | T.O.’s act could plague Cowboys next

By Phil Sheridan

Inquirer Columnist

Owens is back with enough gripes to fill a book

No doubt Terrell Owens' plan is to disrupt yet another Eagles season with the carefully timed release of T.O., his 242-page prepared statement.

A preliminary glimpse, however, suggests that this thing is really much worse news for the Dallas Cowboys, Owens' new team, than it is for the Eagles.

Why? Because the moral of this particular story is that Owens is still every bit the no-class, no-clue team-wrecker he was in Philadelphia. The man portrayed by Owens and coconspirator Jason Rosenhaus is a sociopath, coldly unconcerned with the consequences of his actions and guided by a self-deluding logic all his own.

If you're Jerry Jones or Bill Parcells or especially Drew Bledsoe and you read this mess, you have to be very, very afraid.

It is clear in retrospect that we in Philadelphia were negligent in the summer of 2004, when Playboy magazine published the interview in which Owens implied that former San Francisco teammate Jeff Garcia was gay. Friends in the Bay Area pointed out that Owens eventually would turn on Donovan McNabb, too, but that seemed crazy at the time.

Hey, we were young and foolish. The Eagles had their best team in a generation and everything looked possible. Owens was in his full-on charmer mode, thrilling fans at Lehigh with his speed and grace and vacuum-cleaner hands. This unfortunate choice of words - "If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat..." - was just a remnant from whatever had transpired with the 49ers. Not our concern.

Wrong.

See, there are two possibilities. Either Terrell Owens is a fundamentally good person (and great athlete) who struggles occasionally with authority and inadvertently causes commotions, or Terrell Owens is a fundamentally selfish and cruel person (and great athlete) who can hide behind a wide smile and charming persona for short periods of time.

In 2004, from the perspective of a Philadelphian, Owens looked like a misunderstood guy who had learned from his mistakes. And, hey, the Niners were a disaster area, right?

In 2006, we know better. And if you had any doubts, his latest ghostwritten autobiography should sweep them away for good.

(How many books do you think Owens has read in the last three years? Is there any chance he's read as many as he's had published?)

It would take most of today's Sports section to address all of Owens' claims. Some, of course, could only be affirmed or denied by getting statements from the other people involved. That was not possible on short notice, made necessary by the puzzling marketing strategy of releasing the title only to random Wal-Marts.

(Your humble narrator was inside five of the megastores yesterday. They were all, um, Wal-Marty.)

The one constant throughout Owens' version of events, carefully phrased by the less-distinguished Rosenhaus brother, is that he is never to blame for anything. He has the mind-set of the average 4-year-old, before concepts such as right, wrong and personal accountability have had a chance to take root.

He signs a contract with the Eagles against the advice of the NFL Players Association, but that's not his fault. He continually agitates McNabb, just as he used to do with his San Francisco quarterbacks, but that's McNabb's fault. He has the ability to read McNabb's mind, assuming that McNabb is jealous of Owens' popularity. In his quest for more money, he criticizes McNabb's Super Bowl performance in the most cowardly fashion, then hides behind the fact he didn't use McNabb's name.

It goes on and on like that.

McNabb was wrong, coach Andy Reid was wrong, the 49ers were wrong, his former agent was wrong, Eagles president Joe Banner was wrong, the arbitrator who upheld his suspension was wrong - the world is wrong and Terrell Owens is right.

There's a name for that kind of logic: insanity. Unless you're a Galileo or Albert Einstein, and it's safe to say Owens is not.

For a lot of Eagles fans, a fresh round of Owens-related nonsense will be as welcome as another thunderstorm. He's gone. He signed with the dreaded Cowboys. Enough already.

Surely Owens' first priority is to sell books by creating a fresh round of controversy. His second, though, is to toss a big ol' stink bomb into the Eagles' camp. He's proven how much damage he can do to this team when he's here, so why not try a little long-distance sabotage?

But the joke ultimately will be on the Cowboys. Just as the Playboy interview should have sounded alarm bells here, the 242-page prepared statement should scare the hell out of the Cowboys.

The guy in that book, the human toxic-waste spill, is now in their locker room, fouling up their chemistry.

That third book should be a real doozy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Eagle fan, I will admit that I was duped when he got here, and completely wrong in believing he could change when he came over from San Fran. :(

With that said, a few observations from this article:

TO have never admitted wrongdoing in anything that's happened to him in his entire career :lol:

TO cans his life-long agent, even though he writes an entire chapter on him in his previous "book" :bench:

TO signed the Eagle contract regardless of what the NFLPA told him :banana:

TO will not change. When he signed with Dallas in the off-season, he said he wanted to become a better teammate (which he said before coming to the Eagles), and more importantly, wanted to put the whole Eagles thing behind him. Well, is the release of a book detailing that 2 year history the best way to put the past in the rearview mirror? :huh:

I honestly can't wait until the first Parcells-Owens confrontation.

If there is just God in the world, T.O. would blow out both of his knees while taking jump shots in his backyard

I'm personally done with the whole TO thing, but when I read this article, I had to get it on the bored.

I think it's a pretty fair assessment of this self absorbed man-child.

Shame on us Eagle fans for believing he was a different guy than the one in San Fran, and shame on TO and all of his enablers for not allowing football fans the ability to appreciate his athleticism without all of the crap that surrounds him.

He's a car wreck that keeps moving down the road.

I firmly believe in karma, and karma's gonna come into Dallas like a whirlwind and strike that mother effer down with a furious vengeance.

who gives a crap he's gonna be a stat monster this year :first:

For the first half of the season, though. I would not be against drafting him in FF, but I would definitely trade his azz before week 8.

People tend to forget the injury history. He hasn't played a full season in awhile. Last year, he went into the season hurt.

Terrell Owens is a modern day hero. We should all be so lucky to have a player of his caliber on our team.

For the first half of the season, though. I would not be against drafting him in FF, but I would definitely trade his azz before week 8.

People tend to forget the injury history. He hasn't played a full season in awhile. Last year, he went into the season hurt.

I think he's going to be fine the entire year this year myself, he's had plenty of time to heal up from any nagging injuries and is always in great shape. I expect the breakdown/meltdown next year if its going to happen.

I think he's going to be fine the entire year this year myself, he's had plenty of time to heal up from any nagging injuries and is always in great shape. I expect the breakdown/meltdown next year if its going to happen.

From what I've heard quoted from the book, the meltdown started in the overtime game in Cleveland in the first year.

He's always had time to heal up in the off-season from the groin problems, but they always seem to pop up every season. It's been that way since his days in San Fran.

He may be in fantastic shape, but regardless, his age will not allow him to heal as quickly.

Like Phil Sheridan pointed out in the article, he does have short spurts where he appears to be a good guy. However, those spurts seem to be getting shorter and shorter in duration. Just my opinion.

From what I've heard quoted from the book, the meltdown started in the overtime game in Cleveland in the first year.

I thought I heard on the news it was a Giants game and it was when TO came back to the huddle and told McNabb that he was open and McNabb told him, as TO put it, "to *bleep* off. That's when TO's feeling got hurt and "he realized his relationship with his best friend would never be the same".

:angry:

I never thought he would change, and was weary of him coming here. But I sure was glad when he was here. And you know what, I sure am glad he's gone, and he's gone to wreck the "Boys".

Man on man, if TO flipped out over McNabb missing him on one pass, ONE PASS, how bad will he flip out when Bledsoe misses him constantly. :banana:

I thought I heard on the news it was a Giants game and it was when TO came back to the huddle and told McNabb that he was open and McNabb told him, as TO put it, "to *bleep* off. That's when TO's feeling got hurt and "he realized his relationship with his best friend would never be the same".

:wall:

I never thought he would change, and was weary of him coming here. But I sure was glad when he was here. And you know what, I sure am glad he's gone, and he's gone to wreck the "Boys".

Man on man, if TO flipped out over McNabb missing him on one pass, ONE PASS, how bad will he flip out when Bledsoe misses him constantly. :thumbsup:

It supposedly starting in Cleveland, when McNabb threw to Pinkston on a play designed to go to Owens. It happened again in New York, when McNabb told him to STFU when they were in the huddle.

2 perceptions I have now that I've heard pieces of the book: that McNabb runs that huddle, and that McNabb did get a little jealous of TO stealing some of the spotlight.

It took Owens at least 2 years to write his ticket out of San Fran, and a little over a year to write the same ticket out of Philly. Doesn't bode too well for the Cowboys if history holds serve here.

[TDRYAN] :banana: :banana: :banana: [/TDRYAN]

I did not know the ignorant wank knew how to read or write!

With that said if he falls low enough in any of my drafts I'll take a chance on him...again...

I don't care id he is a dilusional, self-indulgent ignorant wank as long as he catches the deep ball and scores the TDs.

FF (to me) has no moral code for choosing or not choosing a player. It's about wins and loses and holding that cash in my hand at the end of the year nad rubbing it in everyones nose that I AM BETTER THAN YOU!

If a guy beats his wife, gets a DUI in every town he plays, disrupts practice, hell he can run around in a pink tu tu in pre-game warm ups for all I care. Just put up the numbers and I'll draft the guy.

I did not know the ignorant wank knew how to read or write!

With that said if he falls low enough in any of my drafts I'll take a chance on him...again...

I don't care id he is a dilusional, self-indulgent ignorant wank as long as he catches the deep ball and scores the TDs.

FF (to me) has no moral code for choosing or not choosing a player. It's about wins and loses and holding that cash in my hand at the end of the year nad rubbing it in everyones nose that I AM BETTER THAN YOU!

If a guy beats his wife, gets a DUI in every town he plays, disrupts practice, hell he can run around in a pink tu tu in pre-game warm ups for all I care. Just put up the numbers and I'll draft the guy.

Ah, but it is an issue. If a guy gets benched, suspended, or injured, he really have an opportunit to put up points.

I'm thinking TO owners were none to thrilled when Owens was hurt, then was suspended for half the season. :blink:

I firmly believe in karma, and karma's gonna come into Dallas like a whirlwind and strike that mother effer down with a furious vengeance.

I think karma's already gotten him. He has no friends he can trust, he's totally alone in life, he had a crappy childhood and his small window in the NFL is about to close. Very soon he will no longer be relevant and the media will spit him out faster than they chewed him up. His only chance to be considered is if he gets on a football show and becomes a talking head.....not nearly as glamorous.

I think karma's already gotten him. He has no friends he can trust, he's totally alone in life, he had a crappy childhood and his small window in the NFL is about to close. Very soon he will no longer be relevant and the media will spit him out faster than they chewed him up. His only chance to be considered is if he gets on a football show and becomes a talking head.....not nearly as glamorous.

Next stop, The Surreal Life. :blink:

I could not care any less about TO at this point. He's gone, I'm glad he's gone, I'd rather root for a 6-10 team for the next ten years than put up with his bullsh1t for five more minutes. Owens is a terrific player but it will be interesting to see how he pans out in Dallas. Say what you will about McNabb - he's got a better arm and gives his receivers a lot more time to get open than Bledsoe. What happens when Bledsoe doesn't get Owens the ball, or when Dallas decides it's time to start grooming a young QB? Who knows?

Next stop, The Surreal Life. :cry:

;)

I could not care any less about TO at this point. He's gone, I'm glad he's gone, I'd rather root for a 6-10 team for the next ten years than put up with his bullsh1t for five more minutes. Owens is a terrific player but it will be interesting to see how he pans out in Dallas. Say what you will about McNabb - he's got a better arm and gives his receivers a lot more time to get open than Bledsoe. What happens when Bledsoe doesn't get Owens the ball, or when Dallas decides it's time to start grooming a young QB? Who knows?

I disagree with a couple things here. 1st, where did you get this info that McNabb's arm is stronger than Bledsoe's? Where's your proof? Bledsoe's got an excellent arm.

I've heard a lot of :P by Philly fans that say stuff like "I'd rather root for a 6-10 for the next 10 years". I have to call bullskit on this. I'm a Green Bay fan and when there was talk of T.O. going to the Packers, I was excited about it. T.O. is one of those guys you love to hate until he's on your team and he totally turns your team into a winner. I'd rather be at a playoff game watching T.O. pull out the sharpie than having a 6-10 team. It's just business with a guy like Owens. You know what you're getting.....a hired gun. I want my team to win and I'd be glad to have a stud wr like Owens for a year or 2 and get to the Superbowl because of him.

And about the 6-10 for the next 10 years......be careful what you wish for.... :thumbsup:

I disagree with a couple things here. 1st, where did you get this info that McNabb's arm is stronger than Bledsoe's? Where's your proof? Bledsoe's got an excellent arm.

I've heard a lot of :P by Philly fans that say stuff like "I'd rather root for a 6-10 for the next 10 years". I have to call bullskit on this. I'm a Green Bay fan and when there was talk of T.O. going to the Packers, I was excited about it. T.O. is one of those guys you love to hate until he's on your team and he totally turns your team into a winner. I'd rather be at a playoff game watching T.O. pull out the sharpie than having a 6-10 team. It's just business with a guy like Owens. You know what you're getting.....a hired gun. I want my team to win and I'd be glad to have a stud wr like Owens for a year or 2 and get to the Superbowl because of him.

And about the 6-10 for the next 10 years......be careful what you wish for.... :thumbsup:

How am I supposed to proove that McNabb has a stronger arm than Bledsoe? Having watched them both play I think it's pretty obvious. McNabb might have the strongest arm in football.

It's true, I really would rather root for a losing team than put up with Owens' bullsh1t. When TO was just making dumb comments to the media I could turn a blind eye to it, but when he started repeatedly ripping the QB, telling the coach to shut up, and just showing no regard for the team or the fans, I'd had it. Football is a team sport and no one player is worth that. Sure I wish it worked out and Owens was still with the team but TO made the situation intolerable and forced the Eagles to cut him loose - good riddance.

I've heard a lot of :D by Philly fans that say stuff like "I'd rather root for a 6-10 for the next 10 years". I have to call bullskit on this. I'm a Green Bay fan and when there was talk of T.O. going to the Packers, I was excited about it. T.O. is one of those guys you love to hate until he's on your team and he totally turns your team into a winner. I'd rather be at a playoff game watching T.O. pull out the sharpie than having a 6-10 team. It's just business with a guy like Owens. You know what you're getting.....a hired gun. I want my team to win and I'd be glad to have a stud wr like Owens for a year or 2 and get to the Superbowl because of him.

And about the 6-10 for the next 10 years......be careful what you wish for.... :cry:

He does not speak for us, trust me.

The Eagles were successful before TO, and I would expect the same after he's gone. Barring injury, I expect 8-8, and if things go in our favor, 10-6. The defense will return to dominance, and McNabb will make the offense more efficient (limiting turnovers and controlling the clock).

The arm arguement is ridiculous. Both have great arms. Bledsoe throws a nicer ball, but for sheer arm strength (like being able to throw it thru a wall), McNabb has the rocket on his shoulder.

My point of contention with McNabb's mechanics has always been his grip in regards to his hand size. QBs with bigger mitts have an easier time throwing a spiral, while guys with smaller hands need to really focus on their grip.

I truly believe if McNabb changed his grip by putting his index finger on the back point of the ball (ala Terry Bradshaw), he'd be much more accurate with his passes, and would throw a tighter spiral. Instead, he grips and muscles the ball, which is why sometimes his balls will wobble. It's the same premise when swinging a golf club. Gripping too tight only tenses the swing.

Just my .02 cents. I could be wrong.

who gives a crap he's gonna ruin the teams chemistry this year :thumbsup:

[tdryan] :first: :huh: [/tdryan]