Sign in to follow this  
J5

Portis vs. Jordan

I assume most people like Portis straight up over Jordan but how do you think their stats will look at the end of the year?

Right now I am assuming:

Portis 1550 14 tds, 200 receiving 1 td

Jordan 1150 10 tds, 500 receiving 2 tds

I assume most people like Portis straight up over Jordan but how do you think their stats will look at the end of the year?

Right now I am assuming:

you can't count on Jordan's receiving stats . . . if they get a better passing game (with Walter, perhaps) they wouldnt be forced to dump it to Jordan so much . . .

Portis is the clear winner . . .

Right now I am assuming:

Portis will have close to 2000 total yards this season :thumbsdown:

What about a PPR league? FF Todays Projections:

Jordan Rush Yds 1,174 Rush TDS 10 Receptions 65 Rec Yds 492 Rec TD 2 Pts 244.1

Portis Rush Yds 1,480 Rush TDS 10 Receptions 28 Rec Yds 240 Rec TD 1 Pts 200.7

What about a PPR league? FF Todays Projections:

Jordan Rush Yds 1,174 Rush TDS 10 Receptions 65 Rec Yds 492 Rec TD 2 Pts 244.1

Portis Rush Yds 1,480 Rush TDS 10 Receptions 28 Rec Yds 240 Rec TD 1 Pts 200.7

Portis has had 1500 in all but one of his seasons in his career?? so you feel this upcoming year he wont hit that number? Can u elaborate on yout thought process please...

better OC, better WRs would make you think he will have even more yards then last year.

Portis has a tougher schedule. Lamont goes up against the shitty NFC West. 1480 projected rush yds is pretty close to 1500. Also, the skins loaded on new wideouts, perhaps maybe to throw to them than rather run the ball=less opportunites for Clinton.

jordan will NOT get mor than 8 tds on the ground (maybe less), that is a guarantee.... mark portis down for 1800-1900 total yds 13-14 total tds

Jordan does have a weaker schedule, but it's not to his benefit. The Raiders will continue to trail or be in shoot-outs in their division games, taking away touches. The Skins will be in a number of close division games (most of which they'll lose, imo), but those low scoring, tight contests will mean more attempts for Portis.

it's not that hard, really. People were determined to make Jordan a star before last season started. He's a pretty good back, but the team's system/personnel (on the defensive side) works against him. Portis over Jordan, regardless the scoring system.

i think your projects are pretty solid. i don't think portis will have quite that many TDs but 10-12 is not out of the question IMO.

I dont think this is even close, Jordan's receptions should go down this year but his rushing yardage will probably go up. Either way, he is not in Clinton's tier.

With the new Off Cordinator in Washington, I would not be surprised if Portis' catches go up A LOT! He has good hands when the ball is thrown to him, and while he was in Denver he excelled at catching the ball and running for great gains. A large part as to why he hasn't caught many balls in the Washington Offense has been because of Gibb's offense. That won't be the case this year.

More talented WR's, good TE's, a strong O-line, a decent QB, a new Off. Cord. that runs the game through the RB and that all means a big year for Portis.

I am going to make a bold statement here. I think Portis goes for over 15 TD's. Al Saunders likes to run the ball inside the 5 for sure ask Tony Gonzalez. So do you guys think Cooley will get 6 TD's again or Mike Sellers will get 7 TD's again? I don't think they will get that many and you can go ahead and add all those TD's to Portis's total because the skins will score as much if not more then they did last year. In the End Portis will be a top three back barring injury.

1700 Yards 17 TD's 250 Yards Rec 4 TD's

Take him Third and call me later to thank me. Remember SA has the Madden jinx on him.

Portis by a long shot and it wont even be close.

1. The Raiders wont be throwing to the back as often. Norv Turner loved to pass to the backs. Shell will run the hell out of Jordan but he wont catch nearly as many passes.

2. The Raiders defense sucks. They sucked last year and they will suck this year. They are young and might end up being good in two years but they will suck this year. This means they will be throwing the ball all of the place to play catch up. Good for Moss/Porter, bad for Jordan.

3. Al Saunders will come up with so many creative ways get Portis involved and use him properly that his final numbers will be much like LJ/Priest have had.

I’ll take Jordan in a PPR league. He outscored Portis last year, and I expect him to do it again in that format. In a TD-oriented league, I’d go Portis.

Portis max rec totals is 40 with Washington. Jordan had 70 last year. Thats a 30 pt differential which comes out to 5 TDS or 450 yards (15 yds rush/rec per point). Think Portis can make that up?

Its really a coin flip as to which will have better fantasy numbers at the end of the year. In my league last year Jordan edged out Portis by 3 points. I believe Jordan will improve more this year than Portis will..so I would take Jordan for fantasy purposes.

Portis has a tougher schedule. Lamont goes up against the shitty NFC West. 1480 projected rush yds is pretty close to 1500. Also, the skins loaded on new wideouts, perhaps maybe to throw to them than rather run the ball=less opportunites for Clinton.

I think Portis is more productive this year because of a better receiving corp. The pass opens up the run and with teams having to respect Cooley this year and adding Ranle El and Lloyd, CP should be close to 20tds this year. I have 4th in a 12 and he will be my choice

My thought is that the whole world is on the Portis bandwagon/jock right now which means that he's doomed for a serious injury. Go w/ Lamont "Sanford & Son" Jordan...

All depends on the scoring system of your league...

Raw stats though..

Portis 1400-1500 yards 12-15 TD's 200 Rec yards on 25-35 receptions 1 or 2 TD's.

Jordan 1200-1400 yards 14-18 TD's 400 rec yards on 40-50 receptions 1 or 2 TD's.

Portis - More yards, less receptions, fewer TD's due to Cooley in the redzone.

Jordan - Less yards, fewer receptions than last year but still a goodly number, more TD's than Portis due to him being the best option in close not named Moss.

Tally it up based on your system.....

I think they are a pickem... but I also think that Portis can only improve his TD's over last years, otherwise those numbers are pretty much going to be his upper limit in that offense. Jordan can improve immensely over last year by staying healthy and having an O that can actually stay on the field more. You have to take that chances of that into consideration....

Given the choice, even in a PPR, I would grab Portis though I wouldn't hesitate taking Jordan if Portis was gone.

I am going to make a bold statement here. I think Portis goes for over 15 TD's. Al Saunders likes to run the ball inside the 5...

I'll be there with you on the bold statement WW.

First off as far as Jordan I see 320carries at 4.0ypc, 50recs at 8.0 ypr (Brooks will use him yes, but Collins threw so much to Jordan b/c (1)he was gunshy to go downfield and (2)he often didn't have time to go downfield...improved OL play and Brooks being more mobile means more passes downfield).

So 1650totyds/12tds

As for Portis...long commentary from previous thread:

Looked at Gibbs career as an HC and found the following:

RUSH ATTS

6 of 13 seasons top5

9 of 13 top10

12 of 13 top15

Tells me Gibbs will run the ball

RUSH TDS

5 of 13 seasons top5

7 of 13 top10

9 of 13 top15

Tells me he likes to score on the ground

10 of 13 seasons, ONE rb got lion share of carries/tds

Tells me he'll give it to one guy, if that's his workhorse

SCORING

4 of 13 seasons top5

7 of 13 top10

9 of 13 top15

Tells me his teams score pts

Also looking at Portis himself, compared to other 'workhorse' rbs at this stage of his career...trend is for his carries to go up even more, likely to the 380+ range.

Overall, that tells me Gibbs/Portis first year back in WAS was more an aberration as far as pts scored as a team/Portis td totals.

And that this year Portis in for a big year.

Now I add this info re: the Chiefs while Saunders was OC:

'01

rush yds 6th, rush tds 4th

'02

rush yds 3rd, rush tds 1st

'03

rush yds 15th, rush tds 1st

'04

rush yds 5th, rush tds 1st

'05

rush yds 4th, rush tds 2nd

that tells me Saunders also likes to run the ball and that he likes to run at the gl (So Saunders and Gibbs are on same page about doing both).

From previous post I also see 375+, but let's just say 350 at 4.5 (again conservative as see closer to his career 4.7-4.8) and that's still 1575yds.

Add 45recs (he's had as much as 40 and Saunders likes to throw to rb but they could use Betts for some) at 8.0 and that's 360yds.

That's over 1900totyds...he gets just 20-25 more carries OR 8-10 more recs and that's 2000totyds.

Then from history of Saunders/Gibbs and rush td rankings, and more importantly giving those tds to ONE rb, I have no problem projecting 15-17 and wouldn't be surprised at 20.

I’ll take Jordan in a PPR league. He outscored Portis last year, and I expect him to do it again in that format. In a TD-oriented league, I’d go Portis.

Ecept for the fact that Norv Turner is no longer there.

:blink:

do you mean Lamont goes up against the shitty AFC west? AFC west isnt very shitty except for oakland.

:lol:

do you mean Lamont goes up against the shitty AFC west? AFC west isnt very shitty except for oakland.

Well KC twice a year is a pretty shitty Run D. But no, I was referring to the fact the AFC West gets to play the NFC West this year which benefits Lamont.

I've got Jordan just ahead of Portis. Everyone forgets how pitiful the 1st half of the season was for Portis, though I don't expect a repeat. To assume, however, that Jordan will get less touches than last year is just that, an assumption. I like knowing that, even if my back gets 50 yards rushing, he can still have a good game with 30 receiving yards and a TD. This is really splitting hairs, but I like Lamont by a hair.

Coming from a true Raider fan. Portis is the smarter choice of the 2 when it comes to your drafts this year. I'm not 100% sold that he will outscore Jordan by a landslide like the homers here on the board, but it comes down to consistency. And Portis has proven he's for real, and he can produce. If Jordan outscores Portis again this season (by 20 someodd points in my PPR league this past season) than we may be able to say that they are close to equal value.

I had the no4 spot in my new dynasty draft this off-season, and chose to trade down out so I wouldn't be forced to take Clinton, and took Jordan with the no7 overall pick. Maybe a long shot, maybe a blatent case of homerism but damnit I love watchin my team and cheering for my favorite players!

Also, the skins loaded on new wideouts, perhaps maybe to throw to them than rather run the ball=less opportunites for Clinton.

I see this comment all the time, it drives me nuts. Do people not realize that Gibbs is a run first coach?? When he had The Posse (Monk, Clark, Sanders) they were still a rush first team. I don't feel like looking up the stats - I've seen them before and this stuff should be common football knowledge anyways - but Gibbs' teams are traditionally top 10 rushing units. I also don't buy the argument that with Saunders calling plays he'll pass more, the Chiefs ran the ball over 500 times last year. Saunders does like to get the RB more involved in the passing game, look for 40-50 rec by Portis this year. Conversely, with the more mobile Brooks, I would expect Jordan's catches to decrease because Brooks can avoid a rush and not have to dump it to Jordan as often.

P.S. Looking at some of the other posts I see someone did take the time to do some research. Strong work!!

Hmmmm........would I choose the guy who averaged 3.8 yards a carry last year or the guy that's had 1,500+ yards in three of his first four seasons?

Lamont Jordan is a solid back. But, that YPC is a big red flag for me. I don't think he's in Portis's tier....at least as far as I'm concerned.

portis will rush for 16 td this yr

All depends on the scoring system of your league...

Raw stats though..

Portis 1400-1500 yards 12-15 TD's 200 Rec yards on 25-35 receptions 1 or 2 TD's.

Jordan 1200-1400 yards 14-18 TD's 400 rec yards on 40-50 receptions 1 or 2 TD's.

Portis - More yards, less receptions, fewer TD's due to Cooley in the redzone.

Jordan - Less yards, fewer receptions than last year but still a goodly number, more TD's than Portis due to him being the best option in close not named Moss.

Tally it up based on your system.....

I think they are a pickem... but I also think that Portis can only improve his TD's over last years, otherwise those numbers are pretty much going to be his upper limit in that offense. Jordan can improve immensely over last year by staying healthy and having an O that can actually stay on the field more. You have to take that chances of that into consideration....

Given the choice, even in a PPR, I would grab Portis though I wouldn't hesitate taking Jordan if Portis was gone.

I am sorry bro but this post makes no sense to me. The numbers you project are fine because we are all really guessing but you are going to take Td's away from Portis because of Cooley but then you are not going to take TD's away from Jordan cause of Moss? :headbanger: :cheers: You might not think Moss is that good anymore and that s your opinion but how can you base you numbers on Cooley being a better redzone target then Moss. :ninja:

Do people not realize that Gibbs is a run first coach?? When he had The Posse (Monk, Clark, Sanders) they were still a rush first team. I don't feel like looking up the stats - I've seen them before and this stuff should be common football knowledge anyways - but Gibbs' teams are traditionally top 10 rushing units.

The night before Super Bowl XXII, Joe Gibbs took me out to dinner on the San Diego pier (and picked up the check). As a thank-you, the next morning I crapped out Timmy Smith and gave him to Gibbs as a gift.

The night before Super Bowl XXII, Joe Gibbs took me out to dinner on the San Diego pier (and picked up the check). As a thank-you, the next morning I crapped out Timmy Smith and gave him to Gibbs as a gift.

BEST POST EVER! :wall:

Portis has a tougher schedule. Lamont goes up against the shitty NFC West.

I am confused by this statement. I know defenses change and rankings can be deceiving at times, but this season in the 15 relevant fantasy games Oakland plays 10 games against teams that were ranked in the top 10 against the run. Washington plays a total of 2 games against top 10 rated rush defenses and have Philly at home, NO and St. Louis in the fantasy playoffs who were ranked 21, 27, and 28 respectively. I'm not sure how you make the simple conclusion Jordan has an easier road.