Sign in to follow this  
Kellys Heroes

Will D Rhodes become the 2005 Thomas Jones?

D Rhodes is becoming the guy that everyone is seeming to pass on.

There I was last night w/ the my 10th round pick. I already had S Jax, C Talyor, & Dillion; so I had to choose between Rhodes and Maroney. I took Maroney because a) He most likely wouldn't comeback to me and :blink: I have Dillion as my 3rd starter. 11th round guess who comes back around, Mr. Rhodes; I had to take him. Even though I already had 3 starter w/ 1 handcuff, even though 2 of those starters have the same bye week as Rhodes, I had to pull the tigger.

Come on 11th round; this guy is going to at least start the year off. And you know what gets me more than anything; I will never get an good value for him as trade bait, no matter what he does. Just Like last year, no matter what Thomas Jones did, I couldn't get anything respectable for him. Not until Benson what down.

D Rhodes is becoming the guy that everyone is seeming to pass on.

There I was last night w/ the my 10th round pick. I already had S Jax, C Talyor, & Dillion; so I had to choose between Rhodes and Maroney. I took Maroney because a) He most likely wouldn't comeback to me and :blink: I have Dillion as my 3rd starter. 11th round guess who comes back around, Mr. Rhodes; I had to take him. Even though I already had 3 starter w/ 1 handcuff, even though 2 of those starters have the same bye week as Rhodes, I had to pull the tigger.

Come on 11th round; this guy is going to at least start the year off. And you know what gets me more than anything; I will never get an good value for him as trade bait, no matter what he does. Just Like last year, no matter what Thomas Jones did, I couldn't get anything respectable for him. Not until Benson what down.

(I'll try to look past the fact that you feel you got good value for your picks and wanted to show us all how well you think you did.)

I think you couldn't go wrong with that pick. Addai is getting overvalued right now and Rhodes is getting pimp slapped. If Rhodes stays healthy, Addai may just end up with spot duty this year while we're all calling Rhodes the "Dominator" by mid-season. It was a very good value pick and Rhodes could be a top 15 back this year.

Also - why do so many guys get Corey Dillon's name wrong. It's not a tough one. Where do you get Dillion from?

(I'll try to look past the fact that you feel you got good value for your picks and wanted to show us all how well you think you did.)

I think you couldn't go wrong with that pick. Addai is getting overvalued right now and Rhodes is getting pimp slapped. If Rhodes stays healthy, Addai may just end up with spot duty this year while we're all calling Rhodes the "Dominator" by mid-season. It was a very good value pick and Rhodes could be a top 15 back this year.

I'm just saying, Rhodes is being overlooked. Trust me; my wrs sucked last night.

I agree about Rhodes. Same thing every year. Highly touted rookie will come in and supplant the incumbent, who's been in the system for several years. More often than not, it doesn't seem to happen.

Not sure Rhodes will stay the starter for the full year, but I think for the first half of the season at least he will provide great value for where he's drafted.

Rhodes has not looked the same since his ACL injury. There's nothing wrong with the pick in the 11th round, but it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that you found a stud late in the draft. Addai might be starting by week 1.

Rookie RBs can typically make a quick a transition to the NFL in their rookie years. Of course, playing time is usually predicated on how well they block, especially on the blitz, so that remains to be seen.

Rhodes seemed to have a role as a goal line threat and change of pace back to Edgerrin James. My best guess is that Addai gets the majority of the playing time based on ability and draft investment, with Rhodes getting goal line looks and spot duty.

11th round for Rhodes is fine, since we still don't know how things will play out yet.

Rhodes has not looked the same since his ACL injury. There's nothing wrong with the pick in the 11th round, but it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that you found a stud late in the draft. Addai might be starting by week 1.

why would addai start? it seems that it would be rhodes' job to lose and how could addai take it before games even begin?

i see addai going first in mocks and i dont get why. i guess everyone knows something that i dont?

why would addai start? it seems that it would be rhodes' job to lose and how could addai take it before games even begin?

i see addai going first in mocks and i dont get why. i guess everyone knows something that i dont?

Teams don't typically draft backs in the first round to ride the bench in favor of a journeyman. Happens once in awhile but not very often.

Addai, Maroney and Lendale White are all getting overvalued right now.

But I think that will not last through spring training when the coach announce that these 3 guys will be 2nd string.

Because Addai is the prized first round pick and Rhodes is nothing but an undrafted free agent. I know that seems stupid, but it's meaningful to the coaching staff. The only reason Addai is considered "overvalued" is because it's not sure if/when he'll start. However, people are hedging their bets on the fact he'll be starting sooner or later, and I personally think it's a wise investment. I sure as hell wouldn't want him as my RB2, but as an RB3 he provides good upside.

Rhodes is nothing more then a stop gap RB. How long will he fill the gap reamins to be seen. I think the comparisons to Jones is a bit of a stretch. Jones is an extremely talented back that is still feeling the effects of RB hell that is known as Arizona. The Cards to this point have ruined the chance Jones has ever had at being considered the main guy for more then a year or two. Rhodes, to me, is nothing more then a good backup. With a more talented back sitting behind him at this point, he'll lose his job sooner then later. Best case scenerio with Rhodes is a RBBC this year with Addai becoming the feature back in '07.

Why is everyone so sure that Addai is way more talented than Rhodes? I never saw him in college, but from what I've read he wasn't that impressive. I don't care what his physical stats are. I know Rhodes hasn't been the same back he used to be, but he does have much more experience and is familiar with Manning's audibles. And if Addai holds out, he could be this year's Cedric Benson (who was a better RB coming out of college).

Teams don't typically draft backs in the first round to ride the bench in favor of a journeyman. Happens once in awhile but not very often.

uh, actually if the rook gets picked past #20 they usually do :thumbsup: for a good amount of the year - history and statistics have shown that... guys picked in the top5 might get alot of the pt, but not late 1st rounders... that's just an assumption everyone makes...

on another note, why hasn't anyone brought up Tony Dungy's RB history prior to his coming to be the head coach of the most prolific offense in the NFL? Look back at what he had in TB - RBBC with the quick, agile Dunn, and then the big bruising Alstott to smash it in... When he came to Indy he didn't have to worry about that because he had Edge, arguably one of the top all-around backs in the game

Not saying that's what he's going to implemenet in Indy now, but there is a strong possibility it could happen if any one of the RBs shows a nose for the stripe, but doesn't have the break-away speed of another RB...

You have no clue what you're talking about. :thumbsup:

I dont think addai will hold out. i dont think he was worth a 1st round pick. he could have been had as an early 2nd rounder. i think addai will be glad to get first round money. usually late first rounders arnt the holdout problems.

Why is everyone so sure that Addai is way more talented than Rhodes? I never saw him in college, but from what I've read he wasn't that impressive. I don't care what his physical stats are. I know Rhodes hasn't been the same back he used to be, but he does have much more experience and is familiar with Manning's audibles. And if Addai holds out, he could be this year's Cedric Benson (who was a better RB coming out of college).

I think is more of Rhodes just hasn't looked very good the last few years and has been a carreer backup with no interest from any other teams over that time, how can even a late first round pick not be better than him most people think. I have read a bunch of mixed reviews on Addia, but one thing that was said in almost every one was that he is a good blocker. Indy will win games with either guy running the ball so I see them going with the young guy myself.

uh, actually if the rook gets picked past #20 they usually do :bench: for a good amount of the year - history and statistics have shown that... guys picked in the top5 might get alot of the pt, but not late 1st rounders... that's just an assumption everyone makes...

on another note, why hasn't anyone brought up Tony Dungy's RB history prior to his coming to be the head coach of the most prolific offense in the NFL? Look back at what he had in TB - RBBC with the quick, agile Dunn, and then the big bruising Alstott to smash it in... When he came to Indy he didn't have to worry about that because he had Edge, arguably one of the top all-around backs in the game

Not saying that's what he's going to implemenet in Indy now, but there is a strong possibility it could happen if any one of the RBs shows a nose for the stripe, but doesn't have the break-away speed of another RB...

Me, and every other Rhodes owner will take an RBBC; especially where hes being picked up. Addai will most likely be the 3rd down guy w/ his blocking abilty and Rhodes will get at least 65% of carries & GL.

If I had a cystal ball and saw that I was going to get Rhodes in the 11th; I would taken another wr in the 3rd instead of Chestor. Oh well, maybe he will be this next great thing too.

uh, actually if the rook gets picked past #20 they usually do :banana: for a good amount of the year - history and statistics have shown that... guys picked in the top5 might get alot of the pt, but not late 1st rounders... that's just an assumption everyone makes...

get um Famousb :lol: , can't believe you provide overwhelming evidence that later 1st round backs typically don't come in and have an impact yet people are still spewing the "they invested a 1st rounder in him, so he's going to play logic"

You have no clue what you're talking about. :banana:

Give me some names genius. First round backs who were drafted to be the starter who sat the bench the whole year behind a journeyman who wasn't the starter the year before.

I personally hope he starts the year and does well the first couple of games.

I got him at pick 195! in a 12 team league and was utterly shocked to see his name still on my list of undrafted players! I will gladly use him as trade bait before Addai takes the #1 RB spot or Indy goes to RBBC.

Since 1998, RBs drafted in first round

Fred Taylor- starter at beginning of season

Robert Edwards- starter at beginning of season

John Avery- Was drafted to be a change of pace back

Edgerrin James- starter at beginning of season

Ricky Williams- starter at beginning of season

Jamal Lewis- starter at beginning of season

Thomas Jones- 112 carries, RBBC

Ron Dayne- 228 carries, in RBBC with Tiki

Shaun Alexander- behind Ricky Watters

Trung Canidate- behind Marshall Faulk

LaDanian Tomlinson- starter at beginning of season

Deuce McAllister- behind Ricky Williams

Michael Bennett- starter by week 8

William Green- starter week 2

Willis McGahee- injured first year, starter second year week 5

Larry Johnson- behind Priest Holmes

Steven Jackson- behind Marshall Faulk

Chris Perry- behind Rudi Johnson

Kevin Jones- starter at beginning of season

Ronnie Brown- starter at beginning of season

Cedric Benson- held out, behind Thomas Jones

Cadillac Williams- starter beginning of season

With only a couple exceptions, all were either their team's week one starter or were behind an already established starter (usually an All Pro)

Give me some names genius. First round backs who were drafted to be the starter who sat the bench the whole year behind a journeyman who wasn't the starter the year before.

exactly! people keep putting up stats for 1st round running backs that don't do much there first year, and that is true, but most of the time a team drafts a running back they allready have a vet taking snaps. As in moroney, williams and bushs case, Addai only has Rhodes in front of him who has not done anything good for about 4 years. I could see rbbc, but no way do I see rhodes getting the lions share of carries.

John Avery- Was drafted to be a change of pace back

Yeah, they used a 1st round pick on a guy that they wanted to be a change of pace back for the almighty Kareeem Abbil-Jabbar

Curtis Enis doesn't count? or TJ Duckett?

Rhodes didn't have Jones's ability coming out of college and he sure doesn't have it now. he does have a fine offense to run for though, and he can be had at a value. I simply wouldn't want him in any other capacity then a #4 rb, and that's only if I had a tough Rb draft up top. Taken late he'll give you a game or two, but if you've drafted a true #1 and #2 rb, chances are you'd never use him anyway.

Thomas Jones his rookie year

BTW, Dominic Rhodes isn't some journeymen. He's a former 1000 yard rusher that's been riding the pine behind one of the better backs in recent history...

That was the 1st one off the top of my head.

But what about Curtis Enis. Edgar Bennett started over him having only one 1000 yard season under his belt.

I am going down the list from 1998 and will continue to update this accordingly...

How about John Avery, Abdul-Jabbar wasn't exactly an all-pro and only had one 1000 yard season in his career.

Ron Dayne- Tiki's best season was 500 yards before 2000

i'll help you out since i still have it all in spreadsheet form...

since 1982, there have been 86 RBs drafted in the 1st round. 45 of these guys have been drafted from pick 17 on.

As far as fantasy goes, only 2 of those 45 have finished as top12 fantasy backs their rookie year (Robert Edwards & Emmitt Smith). Only 9 of them have finished as a top32 fantasy back, and and only 27 have finished as a top64 fantasy RB in their rookie year.

Now, from an NFL standpoint, out of those 45 RBs drafted 1/2 way through the first or later:

Only 26 finished with 80+ carries in their rookie year - meaning an avg. of 5 carries a game.

Only 8 finished with 160+ carries - meaning an avg. of 10 carries a game.

Only 6 finished with 240+ carries - meaning 15 carries a game.

none of them broke the 300 carry mark in their rookie year.

As for yardage,

Only 14 surpassed 500 yards rushing

Only 5 surpassed 1,000 yards rushing

NONE surpassed 1,200 yards rushing.

So I would have to say that not too many of them made a significant rookie impact...

As far as guys NOT replacing incumbents that were drafted late in the 1st,

2001 - Michael Bennett - took over when R.Smith announced an early retirement - finished w/ 172 carries, 682 yds., 2 tds

ps

in 2001, Rhodes' ROOKIE year, when Edge was hurt and Rhodes played 15 games (starting only 10 of them), these were his stats:

rushing: 233 / 1104 / 9

rec'ing 34 / 224 / 0

which put him as the 11th overall fantasy back...

so i'm not too certain why people think he can't handle the load as a primary back in the SAME system...

Yeah, they used a 1st round pick on a guy that they wanted to be a change of pace back for the almighty Kareeem Abbil-Jabbar

Curtis Enis doesn't count? or TJ Duckett?

That's exactly what Avery was drafted as. Was never intended to be a workhorse at 5-8 185 pounds. Sorry, missed Enis. Held out, came to camp very out of shape. Team worked him in slowly and was the starter 6-7 games in. Then he promptly blew his knee out.

Fred Taylor- starter at beginning of season (beat out James Stewart who's career high was 723 rushing yards)

Robert Edwards- starter at beginning of season (nobody even worth mentioning)

John Avery- Was drafted to be a change of pace back (couldn't beat out Abdul Jabbar career 3.4 YPC)

Edgerrin James- starter at beginning of season (nobody even worth mentioning)

Ricky Williams- starter at beginning of season (beat out Lamar Smith- career high 680 yards at that point)

Jamal Lewis- starter at beginning of season (He actually beat out Priest Holmes, not sure I would compare Addai to a young Jamal Lewis)

Thomas Jones- 112 carries, RBBC (got beat out by Michael Pittman despite career high of 289 yards)

Ron Dayne- 228 carries, in RBBC with Tiki (Tiki took majority of snaps, had 55 more touches despite only career year of 870 total yards at the time)

LaDanian Tomlinson- starter at beginning of season (beat out Terrell Fletcher :wub: now he was a stud)

Michael Bennett- starter by week 8 (he started the whole season beating out Doug Chapman fellow rookie)

William Green- starter week 2 (beat out James Jackson (600 yard best season) and Jamel White (850 total yard best season)

Kevin Jones- starter at beginning of season (beat out Bryson (850 total yd best season) and Pinner (unproven)

Ronnie Brown- starter at beginning of season (beat out Sammy Morris 650 total yd best season) and then was outlplayed in a RBBC by Ricky Williams look at there yards per game

Cadillac Williams- starter beginning of season (beat out Pittman, Alstott who both had some decent seasons in their careers)

It seems to me like only Caddy, Jamal Lewis, and Clinton Portis are rookie backs in recent history that beat out a decent back. I don't like the odds on Addai beating out Rhodes. I think best case scenario (for Addai) is RBBC.

Fred Taylor- starter at beginning of season (beat out James Stewart who's career high was 723 rushing yards)

Robert Edwards- starter at beginning of season (nobody even worth mentioning)

John Avery- Was drafted to be a change of pace back (couldn't beat out Abdul Jabbar career 3.4 YPC)

Edgerrin James- starter at beginning of season (nobody even worth mentioning)

Ricky Williams- starter at beginning of season (beat out Lamar Smith- career high 680 yards at that point)

Jamal Lewis- starter at beginning of season (He actually beat out Priest Holmes, not sure I would compare Addai to a young Jamal Lewis)

Thomas Jones- 112 carries, RBBC (got beat out by Michael Pittman despite career high of 289 yards)

Ron Dayne- 228 carries, in RBBC with Tiki (Tiki took majority of snaps, had 55 more touches despite only career year of 870 total yards at the time)

LaDanian Tomlinson- starter at beginning of season (beat out Terrell Fletcher :wub: now he was a stud)

Michael Bennett- starter by week 8 (he started the whole season beating out Doug Chapman fellow rookie)

William Green- starter week 2 (beat out James Jackson (600 yard best season) and Jamel White (850 total yard best season)

Kevin Jones- starter at beginning of season (beat out Bryson (850 total yd best season) and Pinner (unproven)

Ronnie Brown- starter at beginning of season (beat out Sammy Morris 650 total yd best season) and then was outlplayed in a RBBC by Ricky Williams look at there yards per game

Cadillac Williams- starter beginning of season (beat out Pittman, Alstott who both had some decent seasons in their careers)

All those nobodys these guys who started from the get go beat out sound just like Dominic Rhodes.

All those nobodys these guys who started from the get go beat out sound just like Dominic Rhodes.

you mean the Dominic Rhodes that has already proven he can rush for over 1000 yards?

How many of those guys had ever finished as the 11th fantasy back?

i'll help you out since i still have it all in spreadsheet form...

since 1982, there have been 86 RBs drafted in the 1st round. 45 of these guys have been drafted from pick 17 on.

As far as fantasy goes, only 2 of those 45 have finished as top12 fantasy backs their rookie year (Robert Edwards & Emmitt Smith). Only 9 of them have finished as a top32 fantasy back, and and only 27 have finished as a top64 fantasy RB in their rookie year.

Now, from an NFL standpoint, out of those 45 RBs drafted 1/2 way through the first or later:

Only 26 finished with 80+ carries in their rookie year - meaning an avg. of 5 carries a game.

Only 8 finished with 160+ carries - meaning an avg. of 10 carries a game.

Only 6 finished with 240+ carries - meaning 15 carries a game.

none of them broke the 300 carry mark in their rookie year.

As for yardage,

Only 14 surpassed 500 yards rushing

Only 5 surpassed 1,000 yards rushing

NONE surpassed 1,200 yards rushing.

:wub: nobody wants to argue with the numbers they just want to keep spouting out garbage that 1st round picks start right away

you mean the Dominic Rhodes that has already proven he can rush for over 1000 yards?

How many of those guys had ever finished as the 11th fantasy back?

:wub: nobody wants to argue with the numbers they just want to keep spouting out garbage that 1st round picks start right away

I mean the Dominic Rhodes who had 1000 yards 5 years ago and then blew out his knee. Since then he's had 130 carries in 4 years. 5 years ago is a lifetime. He's not the same player and anyone who watches the Colts can see that. He was a free agent and got very little interest from any other team.

I mean the Dominic Rhodes who had 1000 yards 5 years ago and then blew out his knee. Since then he's had 130 carries in 4 years. 5 years ago is a lifetime. He's not the same player and anyone who watches the Colts can see that. He was a free agent and got very little interest from any other team.

you can't judge a player based off that small of sample size. He's been waiting in the wings. The Colts kept him around for a reason...

He's only 27. You talk like he's 32 years old with CMart's knee.

He's only seen double digit carries 3 times since then. Did you know he was good when he was sitting behind Edge before his rookie breakout? No different now then it was then. He's completely healthy now.

you mean the same DRhodes who had 1,000 yards 5 years ago, when he replaced Edge who blew out his knee, and then proceeded to blew out his own knee. Then came back in 2003 to be the backup to the guy who finished as the 10th, 6th, and 5th best FF RB in the ensuing years, the same Edge that amassed a total of 5,425 total combined yards in those 3 seasons where DRhodes only had 130 carries?

Yeah, i feel like the guy must have been a horrible RB to sit the bench for the last three years since the guy in front of him was such a slouch... :o

you mean the same DRhodes who had 1,000 yards 5 years ago, when he replaced Edge who blew out his knee, and then proceeded to blew out his own knee. Then came back in 2003 to be the backup to the guy who finished as the 10th, 6th, and 5th best FF RB in the ensuing years, the same Edge that amassed a total of 5,425 total combined yards in those 3 seasons where DRhodes only had 130 carries?

Yeah, i feel like the guy must have been a horrible RB to sit the bench for the last three years since the guy in front of him was such a slouch... :o

What do Edge's stats have to do with Rhodes? Rhodes gets 40 carries a year mainly because he can't stay healthy. Indy wanted to make him a bigger part of the offense. He even received assurances of such when he resigned after 2004 after no other team wanted him. Guy is one of the most seldom used backups in the league and he still has a laundry list of injuries every year.

What do Edge's stats have to do with Rhodes? Rhodes gets 40 carries a year mainly because he can't stay healthy. Indy wanted to make him a bigger part of the offense. He even received assurances of such when he resigned after 2004 after no other team wanted him. Guy is one of the most seldom used backups in the league and he still has a laundry list of injuries every year.

he gets 40 carries a year because he's playing behind one of the best backs in the league - that's what Edges stats have to do w/ it. Did you expect him to beat out Edge? And now he will be getting that increased playing time and will be a bigger part of the offense - just as the team had assured him. They weren't going to let Edge :lol: for DRhodes unless DRhodes was better, and when DRhodes did go in and take carries, all the Edge owners cried that he lost goalline carries to the guy - some people whine either way.

Fact of the matter is, history shows us that RBs drafted later in the first round have very little significant FF impact in their rookie year, and some people on this board just don't want to recognize or acknowledge that fact because they'd rather draft every rookie RB touting them as the next big thing, and then if one out of 10 pans out they want to thump their chests trying to say that they picked him when in reality they said the same thing about every other rookie RB drafted in the first that was a bust their rookie year but don't ever mention that fact...

Dominic Rhodes didnt replace Edge much not because he cant run.......because he cant BLOCK. You cant block and protect Manning, you dont play. I dont see that changing much this year.

Dominic Rhodes didnt replace Edge much not because he cant run.......because he cant BLOCK. You cant block and protect Manning, you dont play. I dont see that changing much this year.

Off topic- Curious as to why you traded Jackson straight up for Brown? I traded him as well recently. You high on Brown or down on Jackson.......or both?