Sign in to follow this  
gocolts

Senate denies funds for new border fence

:o

Less than two months after voting overwhelmingly to build 370 miles of new fencing along the border with Mexico, the Senate yesterday voted against providing funds to build it.
:o

"We do a lot of talking. We do a lot of legislating," said Sen. Jeff Sessions, the Alabama Republican whose amendment to fund the fence was killed on a 71-29 vote. "The things we do often sound very good, but we never quite get there."

Ain't that the truth :cheers:

old news :lol:

The fence is a stupid idea. Wasted money.

Cut of the reasons they come, and they won't come anymore.

The fence is a stupid idea. Wasted money.

Cut of the reasons they come, and they won't come anymore.

Yup, fock up those that hire them and the problem goes away

Yup, fock up those that hire them and the problem goes away

1) Fock up those that hire.

2) No more welfare/schools/any govt assistance.

3) No more health care.

4) Seize all vehicles that an illegal is caught driving.

3) No more health care.

Got to admit, I think 1 and 4 handle the problem in spades

3) No more health care.

1 2 3.....no fockin chance....employers own these puppets

its easy to work for 3 bucks a hr....when your familys needs are met thru welfare

Less than two months after voting overwhelmingly to build 370 miles of new fencing along the border with Mexico, the Senate yesterday voted against providing funds to build it when it was determined that illegal immigrant labor would be required for construction

3) No more health care.

:banana:

This is what they should do, but they never will.

Big deal. You get one vehicle per 20 Mexicans.

I like plans 1, 2 and 3, but "seizing possessions"... not so much.

Why not? They do it in other criminal situations. If you know for a fact that if your car gets pulled over with an illegal driving it, it will be seized, would you let them drive?

Why not? They do it in other criminal situations. If you know for a fact that if your car gets pulled over with an illegal driving it, it will be seized, would you let them drive?

I don't care for it in criminal situations either.

No, obviously I wouldn't let an illegal drive my car if I knew it could be seized. But just because it's an effective deterent, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Our government shouldn't engage in seizing people's possessions.

Our government shouldn't engage in seizing people's possessions.

They are not going to your house at night and taking your car for no reason. They seize possessions all the time in the form of tickets and fines. They are taking your money. Doing this will actually do several things:

1) Add additional restrictions and problems to employers of illegals.

2) Reduce the number of uninsured drivers on the road.

They are not going to your house at night and taking your car for no reason. They seize possessions all the time in the form of tickets and fines. They are taking your money.

Putting a lien on a car or house is one thing. Seizing people's possessions with no compensation is something else.

Even if a citizen is guilty of having drugs or illegal immagrants in their car, it doesn't make it right.

Putting a lien on a car or house is one thing. Seizing people's possessions with no compensation is something else.

Even if a citizen is guilty of having drugs or illegal immagrants in their car, it doesn't make it right.

Right or not, there are no constitutional guarantees about the government not seizing propety used in an illegal manner.

Forfeiture statutes apply mostly to illegal drug trafficking. I'm not 100% but I believe some modifications would be needed in order to apply them to illegal aliens. It would be easy to do and, as Toro has already correctly stated, it is not unprecedented and might help serve as a deterrant. Then again, we see how well it has worked out vis a vis illegal drug trafficking...

Also, the wall is a stupid idea in its current iteration.

Forfeiture statutes apply mostly to illegal drug trafficking. I'm not 100% but I believe some modifications would be needed in order to apply them to illegal aliens. It would be easy to do and, as Toro has already correctly stated, it is not unprecedented and might help serve as a deterrant. Then again, we see how well it has worked out vis a vis illegal drug trafficking...

There will be some modifications needed.

Right or not, there are no constitutional guarantees about the government not seizing propety used in an illegal manner.

Exactly. There is absolutely 0 guarantee that your property won't be seized. The Constitution only guarantees "due process" beforehand. While I personally find the government's use of this power distasteful, it is most certainly legal.

So, do you hit your head againt the wall every time your maid or lawn guys come by?

Actually, my maid is legal and has been for 10 years.

My yard guy is Jamie Dayton. We went to school with him at SFA.

Next?

Your house. Did you ever check on all the guys who built it or offer to pay more for leagl labor?

Did you stop going out to eat?

Not my problem. I did not employ those who made my house. David Weekley did. But then again, David Weekley didn't hire illegals either. They subcontracted to a drywall company or a framer.

Once again, me and the wife going to Chili's is not advocating nor supporting the illegal immigrants. I am purchasing legal goods and services from legal companies in the US.

I am not seeing your point to this?

Toro does not need me to speak for him. :thumbsdown:

That said...it is not Toro's responsibility to enforce the immigration and labor laws of this country. It is the responsibility of the executive branch on the federal level, the governor on the state level, and the local sheriffs and chiefs of police on the local level. At least in theory, if we INSIST that government does its job with respect to immigration and labor law, the rest of this problem is academic.

One cannot simply put his life on hold merely on some sort of unrealistic principle that he can solve the illegal immigration problem by living the life of a hermit.

Cut your own lawn. Clean your own house......fat, lazy focking Amerikans.

:thumbsdown: :rolleyes: :(

Why does not cutting your own lawn make you lazy?

Why does not cutting your own lawn make you lazy?

People should take pride in their own property and tend to its needs themselves.

It's better than hiring a swarthy beaner.

:cheers:

People should take pride in their own property and tend to its needs themselves.

Not wanting to get out in the 100 degree/100% humidity for three hours in Houston is basic common sense and has nothing to do with pride in the appearance of my lawn. I also know that because I hate doing it, I usually do not do as good of a job as my yard guy does. So instead of spending 2 hours out of my weekend making myself completely uncomfortable and hating it the whole time, I just have it done. If I didn't have any pride, I just wouldn't cut it. :huh:

Just get one of them there ridin mowers.

:huh:

He has one of those stand on the back, zero radius bad boys that cuts my 10,000 sq ft lawn in 15 minutes.

Not wanting to get out in the 100 degree/100% humidity for three hours in Houston is basic common sense and has nothing to do with pride in the appearance of my lawn. I also know that because I hate doing it, I usually do not do as good of a job as my yard guy does. So instead of spending 2 hours out of my weekend making myself completely uncomfortable and hating it the whole time, I just have it done. If I didn't have any pride, I just wouldn't cut it. :huh:

I'd say there is nothing wrong with paying people to do that work. If you can afford it, and if people want to do it and need the work, what's wrong with helping the community by providing that option. Nothing wrong with that.

We don't need no stinkin' fence....

LANDMINES BABY, LANDMINES!!!

One cannot simply put his life on hold merely on some sort of unrealistic principle that he can solve the illegal immigration problem by living the life of a hermit.

My point is to practice what you preach. Why would it be okay to patronize a business employing illegals yet want them punished for employing such people? Are you not contributing to the problem?

An honest question.

My point is to practice what you preach. Why would it be okay to patronize a business employing illegals yet want them punished for employing such people? Are you not contributing to the problem?

An honest question.

Are you required to check out every single supply chain to ensure that every business on that supply chain is following business practices that completely align with your personal beliefs? Seems a bit unrealistic to me.

An honest question.

It's not really an honest question. You're suggesting that anytime someone uses a business that employs illegals he/she is aware of that practice. We're not necessarily aware and we shouldn't be required to do background checks on any business we associate with. It's the federal gov'ts job to do that. Why don't you simply ask if any of us knowingly associates with businesses that use illegals. That would be a more realistic question.