Sign in to follow this  
SayChowda

Deion Branch news re: Traded to Seattle

-- Patriots Prefer to Keep Branch --

Mon Sep 4, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Seattle Post Intelligencer reports the Seahawks, who reportedly reached an agreement on a six-year, $39 million contract with New England Patriots holdout WR Deion Branch, his agent, appear unwilling to top the second-round draft pick offer made by the New York Jets for Branch.

thanks for the articles :banana: it was a nice thought..branch on the hawks...but i dont blame seattle, why cough up a 1st round pick..IF seattle plays well again..the 1st round pick will be in the 30s and will just about get 2nd round $ anyway...

i thought a poison pill would be saying...

if at anytime, you sign branch and he isnt the teams highest paid wr, he must be paid that way..they lost hutch that way..and went and signed burleson with that crazy 7 yr/49 mil contract..theres no way branch could be signed for more..

seattle needs a TE just as badly....too Bad Charlester Crumpler cant talk his kid into going to play for the team his dad once did... :mad:

i still hope seattle gets him(though it seems impossible)..i just hope they dont overpay...

Poison pills are irrelevant in this situation. There's no matching of offers, just one team that owns a player and two teams that would like to trade for that player.

Poison pills are irrelevant in this situation. There's no matching of offers, just one team that owns a player and two teams that would like to trade for that player.

yeah, i know..someone mentioned it, so i was just stating what i thought it was..

either way...he either goes somewhere else..or the pats get a disgruntled wr back...

what a deal :clap:

I think Branch is a team player who deserves to get more money. Without him the pats would not be a dynasty. I would love to see Branch go to the packers. That would be fun to watch him and Favre. :lol:

I think Branch is a team player who deserves to get more money. Without him the pats would not be a dynasty. I would love to see Branch go to the packers. That would be fun to watch him and Favre. :headbanger:

Yeah, it would be fun to watch Favre send a few balls spiraling towards Branch in triple coverage and get picked off. ;)

The pats are going to get a first round pick for Branch. That is his market value, an end of round first pick. Seattle with its predicted low level first round pick will pay fair market value. Branch is a decent WR who can get it done in the clutch, as evidenced by his performance in the playoffs and SuperBowl. That sounds like first round material to me. If you were a coach or an owner on NFL / College draft day and you had future knowledge of Branch and your competition did too, would you let Branch fall to the second round? If you needed a WR, would you let him fall? He is a first round pick.

One point that many of you are missing here is that the Pats don't NEED Branch. Brady spreads the ball around, alot! Therefore the Pats can posture all they want in these trade negotiations, they are not going to be hurt by a missing Branch. That is exactly what they're doing.

In the end, all sides will be happy. The Pat's will have two first round picks next year. Branch will get mo money. Branch's agent will have some bragging rights. Seattle will add another weapon to its arsenal.

dont get me excited with the seattle talk..

everything that ive read so far has been IF he moves..its about the situation with the jets...i see no mentions of seattle :dunno:

dont get me excited with the seattle talk..

everything that ive read so far has been IF he moves..its about the situation with the jets...i see no mentions of seattle :P

Deion Branch is a free agent on my league. Would he be worth picking up? Who should I drop Micheal Jenkins or Issac Bruce

Interesting perspective, but I think that you make a huge assumption that these players know their true market value. Their agents tell them what their market value is and it is almost always inflated. You also assume that the guys who get these nice signing bonuses play up to their contracted value. Many do not.

A player's recourse is not strictly relegated to holding out. Branch signed a rookie contract when no one knew whether he was even going to be any good. He had no problem with a signing bonus at that time. He play out this season, put up some good numbers, and then be in a position to either be a free agent or be tagged. Both are big bucks.

I have very little sympathy for either owners or players considering the billions that get spent. Bear in mind that the players get over 60% of the gross revenue for the league. That is a huge chunk of change. A guy like Branch can hold out, but when the $500k in fines plus 1/5 of his signing bonus are due, he better not cry about it.

ETA: I think that some folks legally disagree with your point as well

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...nt_back_branch/

I assumed nothing. You started out saying that Branch had a contract and should fulfill it. I simply stated that sitting is his only option if NE won't rework his deal. You say that "a player's recourse is not strictly relegated to holding out". :pointstosky: Ummmmmm, what's his other recourse?

As far as your link goes, I said nothing about Branch's claim against the Pats. I agree with the lawyers. My point is that Branch has the right to sit if he feels he's not being paid fairly....and it's the Pats right to fine him.

Smart teams like Cincy avoid this before it happens. Palmer and Chad Johnson played better than their contracts last year and Cincy paid both of them this offseason before any wounds could fester.

NE has screwed things up so much that Branch will never play for them again. Their options are to let him sit or to trade him and try to get something for him.

Can we un-pin this thread now? There is precious little news in it, mostly a lot of slapfighting.

So what your saying, is NE is NOT a SMART Franchise/team?

It sure sounded like you just said the Bengals were smart, and NE was dumb........

Hmmmmmm... I'll really have to think that 1 over.....:blink:

I assumed nothing. You started out saying that Branch had a contract and should fulfill it. I simply stated that sitting is his only option if NE won't rework his deal. You say that "a player's recourse is not strictly relegated to holding out". :( Ummmmmm, what's his other recourse?

As far as your link goes, I said nothing about Branch's claim against the Pats. I agree with the lawyers. My point is that Branch has the right to sit if he feels he's not being paid fairly....and it's the Pats right to fine him.

Smart teams like Cincy avoid this before it happens. Palmer and Chad Johnson played better than their contracts last year and Cincy paid both of them this offseason before any wounds could fester.

NE has screwed things up so much that Branch will never play for them again. Their options are to let him sit or to trade him and try to get something for him.

Really? The Bengals are a good franchise? Apparently, if you are measuring the police blotter, they are a great franchise. Otherwise, they are suspect at best. They have some talent and are conceivably on the road upward. Other than that, they have achieved nothing (yet?).

Branch will play for this team again and he is in the wrong. He signed a contract and he should honor that contract. He can feel free to sit, but expecting a big payday for breaching a contract is something that Drew Rosenhaus and TO would do. That alone should tell you that it is wrong.

he signed a contract he should honor, he saw the money he can get after this year, so he should be playing for a contract this one... THere will be more competition next year with all teams having a real opportunity, so i don't see why he would possibly hold out...

it gains him nothing... holding out has never helped anyone...

as long as the pats agree not to franchise him, he should be fine...

Discussing the issue of the picks involved, ok NE is just doing the safe thing asking for a No1 pick or several No1 picks. They know by being the "seller", the buyer will eventually talk the price down some. If NE started off asking for a 2nd, they'd get offered a 3rd.

I think NE knows Branch is not worth a first, he's not worth two firsts, he's probably not worth a second, but asking for two firsts is the one way to safely guarantee getting at least a second if they have to trade him. I mean at some level, this is standard flea market haggling here.

As for the value of the picks, in today's NFL, draft picks are gold. If the player pans out, you are getting him in his lowest earning years that are likely to be his most productive years (NFL guys average what? 4 year careers?) This is a Moneyball tactic used by Billy Beane and the A's. The Patriots were competitive for so many years recently because Brady was paid on the cheap for those first few years of their strong run. Sure he got his cash eventually, but they got great value out of him to start.

A 2nd round pick in next years draft, arguably would be worth as much as a No 1 pick ten years ago. Picks are worth more now, not worth less than before. The league isn't choked by a 49er or Cowboys dynasty anymore, there's parity, or balanced mediocrity, whatever you want to call it. Draft picks are asked to step in much faster and produce more quickly than ever before. And the NFL 6th and 7th rounds in the draft are like the NBA's 2nd round in the draft. Lots of reaches but odds are the guys won't do much and will probably be cut in a year's time or will be role players. So the NFL draft is really a 4 to 5 round draft now, where thats about as far as you can go and still stand a decent chance at a productive full time player. Sure some 6th and 7th rounders or low round pick or a street FA will surprise, but the odds of you getting a Jesse Sapolu or a John Randle is pretty low.

Should NE trade Branch? I don't know. Too many variables in play. But would a 2nd be a good value for NE for Branch? Yes. No doubt in my mind. Asking for a first in a trade is really expecting a 2nd in any trade. And Branch isn't worth more than a 3rd realistically. Even if it doesn't look it, NE is playing this one correctly.

Well, I agree branch is probably worth more than a 2nd.

As seattles first round pick is so late in the first that it might as well be a second round pick I feel that it is conceivable that this may be where Branch's value lies. a High second or late first round pick.

I have no doubt that NE should trade branch. if they managed to sign him now, I think that too many bridges have been burned and his presence would only disrupt the team now.

I'm sorry, but this one is over. Branch will never be a pat again, and you guys who like him and are big NE fans had better get used to it.

The Pats have always had a team first philosophy and this time, I think they decided to make an example out of branch. I do feel the offer they made was fair given his history, and receiving numbers. I also feel branch could put up better numbers on a team that doesnt do the 'receiver by committee' . Since Branch has shown he is a greedy player.... maybe this move is best for all concerned.

after all, you are expected to honour your contract, so if you're gonna be locked up for 5 years + you had better be happy with your deal. As Branch is not happy with this, I dont see a resolution coming anytime soon cuz I dont think the pats will improve on the current offer in any significant way. (nor should they)

if branch really wanted to be a pat, he'd sign a one year deal, and play his best to prove the last season wasnt a fluke. Then he can come back and ask for more money next year.

A real team player would do this.

But I dont see him making this kind of offer. He seems to want it all NOW.

As such, I cant support him in this. I hope he sits all year long.

as long as the pats agree not to franchise him, he should be fine...

That won't happen either. Why would they do that? If they are within their rights to franchise him as per the CBA, why would they just give that up. What is Branch giving up in this negotiation?

If someone wants to renegotiate a contract, there must be valid consideration on both sides in order for it to make sense. Branch wants the Patriots to give him more money or not franchise him next year.

What is Branch giving them in return? If you say that he will play to the best of his ability, then that is not valid consideration because he already signed a contract to do just that.

**off topic...

but lets say they decide where he goes on Wed..the day before the season starts....

has he even been working out much?...how long does it take him to fit into the Jets offense?....

is it either...starting for the pats week 1...

sitting out...or

playing for the jets week 4 or so?....

is he worth waiting 3-4 weeks for?...

**off topic...

but lets say they decide where he goes on Wed..the day before the season starts....

has he even been working out much?...how long does it take him to fit into the Jets offense?....

is it either...starting for the pats week 1...

sitting out...or

playing for the jets week 4 or so?....

is he worth waiting 3-4 weeks for?...

Supposedly, he has been working out regularly. It would probably take him a couple of weeks to be in game shape, maybe less.

However, he won't go to the Jets. The Pats would require compensation far greater from the Jets than from a team outside of their division. Besides, who would throw him the ball? :lol:

Supposedly, he has been working out regularly. It would probably take him a couple of weeks to be in game shape, maybe less.

However, he won't go to the Jets. The Pats would require compensation far greater from the Jets than from a team outside of their division. Besides, who would throw him the ball? :lol:

i almost made that comment...with pennington, he would only have to worry about 5 yards and out and 10 yard hooks since chad cant throw it much further....

Per the Boston Herald:

"Deion Branch is reportedly preparing to seek damages against the Patriots if he loses his arbitration hearings this week.

Branch would take New England to court for the $1.045 million base salary he is due to receive from the team, plus would-be first-year money from the Jets and Seahawks, which is over $13 million. Branch reportedly has no intention of returning to the Pats until the situation is resolved."

Per the Boston Herald:

"Deion Branch is reportedly preparing to seek damages against the Patriots if he loses his arbitration hearings this week.

Branch would take New England to court for the $1.045 million base salary he is due to receive from the team, plus would-be first-year money from the Jets and Seahawks, which is over $13 million. Branch reportedly has no intention of returning to the Pats until the situation is resolved."

well this blows

-- Branch & Patriots Disagree on Arbitrator Jurisdiction --

Wed Sep 6, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Boston Globe reports disputes have broken out between the sides in the WR Deion Branch-New England Patriots grievance case even before the arguments have been heard. Representatives of the Patriots, the NFL Players Association, and Branch will take part in a conference call this evening with arbitrator John Feerick of Fordham Law School not to argue the merits of Branch's grievance claiming the Patriots violated a verbal agreement to accept a reasonable trade offer for Branch after granting him permission to seek such a trade, but on whether Feerick has the jurisdiction to rule on that in the first place. The Patriots and the league filed a motion contending that Feerick has no jurisdiction over Branch's non-injury grievance because there is no issue to be decided by him under the rules established in the collective bargaining agreement. The union, arguing for Branch, insisted an arbitrator has jurisdiction over "the broken promise to trade him." The Patriots countered that there is no such issue, but if there were, it should go directly to the special master, Steven Burbank of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, who under the CBA has sole jurisdiction to decide non-injury cases involving an issue of whether or not a team negotiated a contract in good faith. The union claimed this was not an issue of negotiating in good faith, but a question of whether the team broke an oral agreement by not accepting reasonable compensation in the form of a second-round draft choice offered by the Jets. The issue of what "reasonable compensation" means is one Feerick might well have to rule on if he agrees with Branch's argument. The Patriots think they have the right to determine what reasonable compensation is for one of their players, while the union argues that it should be based on trades involving players with experience and production similar to Branch's. If Feerick retains jurisdiction in the case, it will be heard Saturday. If he does not, both issues would go immediately to Burbank and very likely would not be argued until late next week. Feerick's ruling would be binding and could not be appealed by either side. The ruling of the special master can be appealed in federal court. What all this seems to mean is that, unless an 11th-hour settlement is reached, Branch will not be playing for the Patriots or anyone else for several weeks at best and perhaps not until the 10th week of the season. He must play by that time to receive full credit for a year toward free agency.

from Peter King in MMQB...

3. I think, speaking of the Patriots, the mistake they made in trying to reel Deion Branch back into the fold was giving his agent permission to make a deal with other teams for a week -- when they didn't want to trade him at all. Because the salary cap rose $17 million from '05 to '06, and because so many teams were so flush with salary-cap money (the Jets were $7 million under, Seattle $10 million), the idea of splurging on a good player was appealing.

The Jets and Seahawks each reached deals with Branch for approximately $13 million in guaranteed money and $39 million over six years. In discussions with league sources close to the talks, I heard this weekend that the when both teams made their offers to New England, the Patriots did not counter either one. The Seahawks, my sources say, offered a second-round pick plus a lower pick; the Jets offered a second-rounder. The Patriots never asked for two first-round picks, contrary to what some people have said, and they were never offered a first-rounder. So it will be easy for the Patriots to say in arbitration that they were never offered what they consider to be fair market value for Branch.

It's hard to imagine an arbitrator determining what is fair compensation for Branch; beauty, and value, is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to trading players, and so what Green Bay considers fair for a receiver is not necessarily what New England would consider fair.

One more thing about this story that bugs me. Branch wants to be paid like a No. 1 receiver, which is his right. But he hasn't performed like one -- other than in two magnificent Super Bowls -- in his four years. His average season: 54 catches, 686 yards, 3.5 touchdowns.

When Branch signed his original contract, there were escalators in place to pay him at the level of high-achieving receivers. If he had four 900-yard receiving seasons, he'd have $1.5 million added to his '06 base salary of $545,000. He had one such season, last year, when he gained 998 receiving yards, and thus had $500,000 added to his base pay this year, bringing the total to $1.05 million. There would be, in addition, $1.5 million added in total if he had four 1,100-yard seasons. So if he'd performed like a No. 1 all four years, and had in excess of 1,100 yards each season, his base salary this year would have been a respectable (though under-market) $3.55 million.

The bottom line: Even if the Patriots win in arbitration, Branch will be so unhappy that he'll be a divisive force in a harmonious locker room -- if he chooses to go back at all.

When Meon gets traded he had better hope that he never plays against the Pats. I wonder how many clandestine "Branch leaves the field on a stretcher" clauses are being secretly written into the contracts of the Pats defense. :lol:

God help him if he does go to the Jets. I can imagine the call... "There goes Pennington, he's wheeling his hospital bed rolling out to the left. Branch is open in the flat. Pennington lofts the ball... waiting... waiting... *bam* the entire Patriot backfield level Branch at the same time...ouch look like that hurt..."

He's an idiot plain and simple. I understand his need to get the money he deserves, but the bottom line is he is under contract. He will lose, and he will lose badly.

Really? The Bengals are a good franchise? Apparently, if you are measuring the police blotter, they are a great franchise. Otherwise, they are suspect at best. They have some talent and are conceivably on the road upward. Other than that, they have achieved nothing (yet?).

Branch will play for this team again and he is in the wrong. He signed a contract and he should honor that contract. He can feel free to sit, but expecting a big payday for breaching a contract is something that Drew Rosenhaus and TO would do. That alone should tell you that it is wrong.

Rosenhaus and TO are idiots. This isn't about them.

Hundreds of players have held out in the NFL. Most either get a better contract or get traded.

Sorry, but you don't seem to understand the way that contracts in the NFL work. Players make what they are worth more than any other major sport. If they don't play to their contract, they renegotiate down or get cut. There are no guarantees. If they play better than their contract, they convince their team to renegotiate or they hold out. That's the way it works.

By you saying "Branch should honor his contract" twice now, you've shown that you have absolutely no clue how business in the NFL works.

Rosenhaus and TO are idiots. This isn't about them.

Hundreds of players have held out in the NFL. Most either get a better contract or get traded.

Sorry, but you don't seem to understand the way that contracts in the NFL work. Players make what they are worth more than any other major sport. If they don't play to their contract, they renegotiate down or get cut. There are no guarantees. If they play better than their contract, they convince their team to renegotiate or they hold out. That's the way it works.

By you saying "Branch should honor his contract" twice now, you've shown that you have absolutely no clue how business in the NFL works.

:(

Those people do not renegotiate their contracts all the time as you seem to think. They get extensions, which is what the Patriots suggested to Branch. However, he wants to tear up his existing contract, which is not how things get done.

You say that this has nothing to do with TO and Rosenhaus, but they are the prime example of what Branch is trying to do. Rosenhaus is CJ agent and you are the one who brought up his extension.

Also, please provide a link to the "hundreds of players who have held out in the NFL getting a better contract or are traded". I think that you are overly exaggerating this to make it seem commonplace.

He's an idiot plain and simple. I understand his need to get the money he deserves, but the bottom line is he is under contract. He will lose, and he will lose badly.

How so? Playing on essentially a one year contract is dangerous. He will make more money sitting out and signing a bigger contract next year then he would playing one season and risking injury. The Pats messed up by not realizing his value on the market when they could have paid much less to keep him. In the long run the Pats could be huge losers if they give future free agents the impression that they don't treat players right or if Bellichek gets the reputation of jerk. They might not realize it but the SB run is over, if want a whiff of another one they have to be FA friendly.

How so? Playing on essentially a one year contract is dangerous. He will make more money sitting out and signing a bigger contract next year then he would playing one season and risking injury. The Pats messed up by not realizing his value on the market when they could have paid much less to keep him. In the long run the Pats could be huge losers if they give future free agents the impression that they don't treat players right or if Bellichek gets the reputation of jerk. They might not realize it but the SB run is over, if want a whiff of another one they have to be FA friendly.

I'm sure glad you didn't tell them that their SB run is over..... geez, they would have cancelled the seaon. and I would have to watch CRAPPY teams on TV instead....:unsure:

Almost all NFL contracts are a series of one-year contracts. That is how the CBA is set up.

The Patriots offered a similar amount of money for Branch as the Jets and Seahawks did. The difference is that the Jets and Seahawks had longer contracts (6 yrs. vs. 3 or 5 yrs.). However, when you look at those contracts, Branch will never see those extra years.

So it comes down to guaranteed money and how that money is spread out as the key sticking points. The guaranteed money for the Pats was $11M and the Jets/Seahawks are looking at $13M. Another issue with the Patriots was that they were unwilling to tear up the existing contract for this season, but would have given him an extension, whereas the Jets/Seahawks would start with a new contract. The final straw was that the Pats wanted to spread out the up front payments over a couple of years rather than all in the first year.

I also don't understand how everyone thinks that the Pats treat their players unfairly. Look at guys like Colvin, Harrison, Brady, Bruschi, et al for instances where guys could have been taken care of by the team. I would be willing to bet that the Patriots are in the top 7-8 teams in the league in actual money spent over the last 6-7 years (i.e. not just cap space used).

Almost all NFL contracts are a series of one-year contracts. That is how the CBA is set up.

The Patriots offered a similar amount of money for Branch as the Jets and Seahawks did. The difference is that the Jets and Seahawks had longer contracts (6 yrs. vs. 3 or 5 yrs.). However, when you look at those contracts, Branch will never see those extra years.

I am sure you know more about the ins and outs of the Pats than me. It could also be because Branch feels like an underappreciated part of a SB run and he wants to go someplace that will throw him 100 balls where he won't freeze his azz off. In other words, he has his rings and just wants out. I hope this thing works out quickly, Holt, Driver and Branch would make my WR corp pretty sweet.

I am sure you know more about the ins and outs of the Pats than me. It could also be because Branch feels like an underappreciated part of a SB run and he wants to go someplace that will throw him 100 balls where he won't freeze his azz off. In other words, he has his rings and just wants out. I hope this thing works out quickly, Holt, Driver and Branch would make my WR corp pretty sweet.

He wants his money and I don't blame him. However, the amount of that money is subject to debate. He did not like what the Pats offered, so he is sitting. I personally think that he is overvaluing himself, but I think that his agent is seeing $$$$. It may be that it works out for him. There is always a sucker out there. Look at the Ravens, Eagles, and Cowboys for examples when dealing with TO.

However, it could be that it does not work out for him and the Pats might be using him as a wedge breaker on special teams during Week 11. :P

Good Article HERE

Furthermore, most expect the NFL Players Union to be denied the grievance.

Nobody is going to tell the Patriots that they have to trade Branch and what they can ask for.

The NFL is also not going to tell New England that the extension they give Branch has to be “Reggie Wayne type money.” How ridiculous a ruling would that be? Deion and his reps may then argue that New England set an unrealistic standard for their compensation to the point where no team would match and that this maneuver was intentional. But again, who is going to tell the Patriots what they can ask for and how can anybody prove that their demands were intentionally unworkable? If the Patriots choose to -- and I expect they will -- they can bring up the cases of Joey Galloway and Keyshawn Johnson. Dallas gave up TWO (!!!!) first round picks in exchange for Galloway and Tampa Bay also matched the precedent of two first-rounders to acquire Keyshawn. If Branch is arguing that he is a number one receiver and should be paid accordingly, surely the clever New England organization should receive at least a measly first round pick (if not more!), not the second rounders being offered. But it is a second rounder that Chayut says is reasonable compensation? Oh yeah? Well if Branch is worth a mid-to-late second rounder, doesn’t that make the more than six million dollars a year that the Patriots were offering seem generous for a player of that caliber?

Also, keep in mind that the NFL CBA states the the required compensation for a Franchised player being traded is 2 First Rounders.

NE was asking for a 1st and 3rd. It will be difficult for Branch/Chayut to prove that NE wasn't within their rights to demand that level of compensation for his trade.

and just to remind:

SEA offered a 2nd and "late" rounder

NYJ offered a 2nd only

He wants his money and I don't blame him. However, the amount of that money is subject to debate. He did not like what the Pats offered, so he is sitting. I personally think that he is overvaluing himself, but I think that his agent is seeing $$$$. It may be that it works out for him.

Which is it going to be, Patriotsfatboy? You said he "should honor his contract" and after I point out to you that it's completely within his rights to sit, you say "it may be that it works out for him".

What exactly are you trying to argue here, torrid? :thumbsup:

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Wisco...fiably_Villains

Here's a little article for you to read while you try and figure it out.

Which is it going to be, Patriotsfatboy? You said he "should honor his contract" and after I point out to you that it's completely within his rights to sit, you say "it may be that it works out for him".

What exactly are you trying to argue here, torrid? :blink:

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Wisco...fiably_Villains

Here's a little article for you to read while you try and figure it out.

I know that reading comprehension is not your strong suit, but even you must realize that your question is stupid. I said that he "should" honor the contract in play, but sitting might work out for him. There are many times that people do the wrong thing with results that are good for them in the short-term. Apparently, you are an "ends justifies the means" type of guy, which is all I need to know on this one.

I know that reading comprehension is not your strong suit, but even you must realize that your question is stupid. I said that he "should" honor the contract in play, but sitting might work out for him. There are many times that people do the wrong thing with results that are good for them in the short-term. Apparently, you are an "ends justifies the means" type of guy, which is all I need to know on this one.

Bullcrap. You said that he "should play out the contract". Also, "he made a commitment to the Patriots".

Also, ALSO!$@$!@ "sitting out is not the player's only recourse".

Since you've already dodged the question once, what is his other recourse if he's not happy with his contract?

:blink:

You sound like a whiny homer that wants one of your stars back without having to pay him what he's worth.

... pay him what he's worth.

the cornerstone of this entire ordeal.

Certainly Deion Branch deserves a raise.

But what exactly IS he worth?

What would YOU be willing to pay for Branch? "Reggie Wayne" money?

the cornerstone of this entire ordeal.

Certainly Deion Branch deserves a raise.

But what exactly IS he worth?

What would YOU be willing to pay for Branch? "Reggie Wayne" money?

That's not for me to figure out. :(

My issue was that I've been telling fatboy it's Branch's right to sit out. fatboy seems to think that Branch is in the wrong for sitting out a contract that underpays him. Now, he says it's Branch's option but everything fatboy types seems to say Branch should play for the contract he "committed" to. :cheers:

The ball is in NE's court. If they can't work out a deal with Branch, they need to suck it up and get what they can for him (like Denver did with Lelie) or let him sit and get nothing for him.

It's really their choice and everything I read makes me think they're being focks about it. If I were Branch, I wouldn't go back and play for them.

The ball is in NE's court. If they can't work out a deal with Branch, they need to suck it up and get what they can for him (like Denver did with Lelie) or let him sit and get nothing for him.

It's really their choice and everything I read makes me think they're being focks about it. If I were Branch, I wouldn't go back and play for them.

They're only being being "focks" (as you say) if you think that their offer to him was unfair.

Their offer would have put him in the ballpark of a top 10 paid WR:

they offered him a 3 year/18mil contract.

2006 (this year): they keep his salary where it is (1mil) but give him part of his new contract now: a $4 million bonus

2007: (the start of the new contract) $4 million roster bonus plus $1.75 million salary

2008: $4 million salary

2009: $4.25 million salary

Branch wants 6 mil per year and a 13mil signing bonus. And he's not worth that.

Is NE being a "fock" because they won't give up their right to franchise Branch next year?

- why would they do that. Paying Branch 6.5 mil (the going -rate for franchisee) with no signing bonus is a bargain.

Is NE being a "fock" because they want a 1st and 3rd round pick as compensation?

- why wouldn't they want at least that? The CBA states that a franchised player being traded requires 2-first round picks

- Both DAL and TB gave up 2-First rounders when acquiring Galloway and Keyshawn

- the precedent has been set, yet NE still only wants a 1st and 3rd.

NE holds MOST of the Cards right now. Branch has little leverage with any of these negotiations.

The only Card Branch holds will be gone the minute NE steps onto the field and starts winning games without him... and with their schedule this year, Deion will be losing that card very soon.

But if they start losing games and the passing game goes nowhere, fans like you and fatboy will start calling the radio stations and writing to the Globe that NE needs to sign Branch.

You say that NE has all the cards. Technically, they do. They don't have to give Branch more money. They don't have to trade him. They can just let him sit out the season.

But then they don't get anything out of their valuable investment of Branch.

Bullcrap. You said that he "should play out the contract". Also, "he made a commitment to the Patriots".

Also, ALSO!$@$!@ "sitting out is not the player's only recourse".

Since you've already dodged the question once, what is his other recourse if he's not happy with his contract?

:(

You sound like a whiny homer that wants one of your stars back without having to pay him what he's worth.

What he SHOULD do = play out the contract

What he COULD do = sit out and he might get a new contract

There is a HUGE difference between the two. That is what you are failing to see and why you think that I am "whining"

As far as other options for him, I believe that this is "asked and answered". You have it right there in front of you.

He could play and make $1M this season and then:

- be a free agent (market looks like $6M per season)

- be tagged (tagging looks like $6M+ per season)

- sign an extension with the Pats (offered $6M per season)

There is no whining here. I would like to see him playing for the Pats on Sundays. If he wants to play hardball, I hope that they trade him to Arizona or Minnesota and let him see what it is like to play somewhere else. The Pats have won with guys that are worse than him and they can win with guys that are different than him.

If the Pats lose some games (they could easily be 2-2), I won't be screaming for them to sign Branch. Others definitely might do so. However, the precedent that Branch is asking for here (tearing up a contract in the last year) is a bad one and one that could have long term ramifications far in excess to Branch's value.

Now, answer my question that you have been avoiding. Please give me the hundreds of guys that have sat out and gotten their new contract or been traded. There are a handful of guys where it has worked out okay for them, but in many of those instances (Keyshawn, Galloway, etc.), the team got quite a bit in return. Now, throw in the fact that most of those folks that made out actually got extensions to deals, identify those who had their contract torn up when they were in the last year of that contract in order to sign a brand new deal.

ETA: If you are getting your information from Ron Borges of the Globe, you might want to dig a little deeper. He has a huge axe to grind with Belichick and has probably taken a few too many punches to the head (he is a former boxer). Borges hates the Pats under Belichick and was the one who picked the Pats to lose 72-0 in their SB win against the Rams.

Borges is an idiot anyways, noone around here listens to his drivel......

Branch sits out this yr, thats fine...... they franchise his dumba$$, and get 2 1st rdrs for his services next year.

I like that deal !!