Sign in to follow this  
devius

Why Barry Sanders is the Greatest RB of ALL Time...

Everyone always talks about Barry and how great he was. Man, if Emmitt Smith had been behind that offensive line, he would have danced all over the place and lost just as many yards for his team!

im sorry but to this day i cant say ive seen a runner thats come close to sanders... he carried an entire football team on his shoulders....cant say that about many people imo...

If Barry played for the Cowboys..and Emmitt for the Lions. Barry would have had 20,000+ and we would be saying Emmitt Who??

As a true Barry Sanders fan, I am sick of seeing this post every frigging year. That being said, nobody better....

Just remember this. Reggie Bush will have the same video highlights 10 years from now. Sanders 5"9 205 didn't seem to small to help re-write the record books. Reggie will do the same thing to defenders.

that 2nd to last run was the best, Sanders hit a brick wall with about 5 defenders in hit, bounces right off them and proceeds to run by #75 for the Cowboys who's just standing there dumbfounded. Sanders could have shook his hand on the way by on the way to the end zone.

IF you were a true Barry Sanders fan you would know its a little early to be comparing Reggie Bush tot the kind of career Barry Sanders had. Bush hasn't even had an NFL carry yet, good grief.

that 2nd to last run was the best, Sanders hit a brick wall with about 5 defenders in hit, bounces right off them and proceeds to run by #75 for the Cowboys who's just standing there dumbfounded. Sanders could have shook his hand on the way by on the way to the end zone.

IF you were a true Barry Sanders fan you would know its a little early to be comparing Reggie Bush tot the kind of career Barry Sanders had. Bush hasn't even had an NFL carry yet, good grief.

Hey dumb a$$, that is what you do in sports. YOU COMPARE! Somebody is always the next Jordan, Sanders, Elway. It is in the comparing that the true fun of sports comes thru. If you knew you has already seen the best ever, why the hell would you watch players play? Reggie runs with the same style as Sanders, yet everybody says, "Well, he wont do that to NFL linebackers." YES HE WILL. If you can stop on a dime, make change & still have time to grab the groceries & put your kids in the car seat, you will dominate.

and how many NFL carries does Reggie Bush have? How many does Sanders have?

And while we are at since i am a "true Joe Montana fan" Matt Leinart is the next Joe Montana. Get real buddy, get back to me in at least 5 years, most RB's last 3 years in the NFL

I loved the one halfway through where Barry reversed his field, and Rodney Peete raised his arms for the TD when Barry was still at the 20 YARD LINE. Almost like he'd seen it so many times, he knew it was a given that he was getting 6.

I was a loyal Barry owner for 8 years (1991-1998) so it was a pleasure watching him work, although since it was a TD-only league, I don't feel like this video is complete until they show clips Barry taking it 65 yards to the 1 and Derrick Moore (OV - Original Vulture) plunging it in. :cheers: :pointstosky:

I compare Barry to Vince Carter. Great highlight reel guy, but has flaws in his game that keep him from being the best of all time. Barry is the best pure runner of all time. But he was a POOR goaline/short yardage back, a completely average receiver, not much of a leader from everything I've heard, never performed well in clutch situations(had one total stinker I think against GB in the playoffs. Only 1 game over 100 yards in the playoffs), and not a very good blocker.

Contrast that to someone like Walter Payton who did EVERYTHING well. Barry is great as a pure runner in the open field and he is a joy to watch. But he isn't in that small first tier of RBs because he comes up short in many areas. He makes the second tier imo. Emmitt Smith imo did all of those little things well and belongs in the first tier with Payton, Brown, and maybe one or two others.

Reason's why he isn't.

1) Couldn't block like Payton

2) Couldn't catch like Payton

3) Couldn't pick up 3rd and 1 like Payton

4) Ran out of bounds, didn't punish defenders like Payton

5) Couldn't leap over the pile for a TD like Payton

6) And for all the BS that you hear about how bad the teams Barry played on were, he spent a good part of his career with at least one Pro Bowl OL, Herman Moore, etc. Payton played with jack most of his career.

As for being a complete football player:

1) Couldn't throw like Payton

2) Couldn't punt like Payton

Hey dumb a$$, that is what you do in sports. YOU COMPARE! Somebody is always the next Jordan, Sanders, Elway. It is in the comparing that the true fun of sports comes thru. If you knew you has already seen the best ever, why the hell would you watch players play? Reggie runs with the same style as Sanders, yet everybody says, "Well, he wont do that to NFL linebackers." YES HE WILL. If you can stop on a dime, make change & still have time to grab the groceries & put your kids in the car seat, you will dominate.

Ok lets get this straight firstthere will NEVER I repeat never be another MJ....so lets not get into that convo....

2nd Im sick of seeing people say O Vince is the next Jordan Kobe is no Lebron is......and Vince fell flat on his face and Kobe is only Off and cant do it without shaq and Lebron is too young too even talk about....

Lets quit comparing Bush to anyone when he hasnt taken a handoff yet in a real game......Yes he runs like Barry...SOrta......As great of a College career as Bush had look at Barrys....while Thurman was there who is head and shoulders above White.....he set records returning and rushing....at OAK ST!!!!!!!!!......he wasnt pulled in big games.....!!!.......

Vince Dunks like MJ will he ever be MJ????......just because Bush has shown it against lesser players means nothing.....not saying he won't....but come on I hate when guys disrespect great players who played for years and years and go off and compare them to 23 year olds....

All those cuts take a toll.....most players would tear something making those cuts....Barry didnt really.....Bush has 10 years to run and cut without getting hurt....you are way too quick to say Bush will do the same in the NFL...

Yes he does run like Barry....but do not say he will do the same thing as Barry over 10 years....that is just ignorant.....people need to stop having no respect for great players who were able to do it for years....and do it the way Barry did it.....Bo Jackson was the best athlete I have ever seen.....yet what did he do played baseball....anything can happen injury.....bust.......lets get real....

:thumbsdown:

EMMITT SMITH IS #1 FOREVER. :huh:

There's a reason that the Lions didn't make the playoffs most years, and Barry is part of that. WAY TOO MANY RUNS FOR NEGATIVE YARDAGE = THESE ARE DRIVE KILLERS.

Sure he scored long touchdown runs too. But either with the long td runs for 6 or the many times there offense stalled (partly due to Barry's negative runs and O-Line too) that kept their defense on the field a lot.

I won't be checking this post again to here your emotional reactions and rants. Have fun though. I'm right!

The league isn't the same without Barry.

And after every one of those TDs, he just handed the ball to the official. Without a doubt the best ever, and a real class act too!! I just wish that it ended differently for him. :bench:

Yes he does run like Barry....but do not say he will do the same thing as Barry over 10 years....

:banana:

All i'm saying si that, yes he runs like barry. Obviously no one knows if he will put up stats cause he hasn't played yet. And stop telling people to compare. ITS ALWAYS GOING TO HAPPEN, EVERYONE WILL ALWAYS COMPARE OR BENCHMARK. ITS HUMAN NATURE TO COMPARE. ITS ONLY COMPARING. practice?

Barry was entertaining to watch . Payton was the Best I ever saw though.

It was already posted , but Sanders could make you nuts in a TD league . If he wasnt scoring from 20 yards out , he wasnt getting it. Another thing that used to make me crazy , was how he did get his yards. 1 , 1 , -1 , 50. When he did break for that 50 it was nice to watch though

I loved the one halfway through where Barry reversed his field, and Rodney Peete raised his arms for the TD when Barry was still at the 20 YARD LINE. Almost like he'd seen it so many times, he knew it was a given that he was getting 6.

:doublethumbsup:

ah the old best RB argument

Rice: Most receptions, most yards, most TDs, MVPs, Superbowls

Emmitt: Most carries, most yards, most TDs, MVPs, Superbowls

:banana: scoreboard :huh:

Can Walter say that? nope.

Barry? nope.

Jim Brown? not even close(that focken era had all the talent on offense while rejects were put on D. Owners wanted more points on the board and

refused to spend money on D because people didn't come to watch the D.)

Brown simply stood apart because most teams were RBBC and the Browns weren't.

Hell look at 1964 where Brown had about 1800total yards and 9tds at 5.2YPC

Lenny Moore: 1100 total yards 19tds

Colts other 4rbs: 5ypc 1700total yards 14tds

jim Taylor: 1500 total yards 5ypc 15tds

bill brown 1600 total yards 3.8 ypc 16tds

Chiefs top two RBs: 2000total yards 5.2ypc 13tds

Jim Brown 1200yds 5.8ypc 9tds WOW 5.9ypc he must be the best ever

John Crow 1071yds 5.9ypc 6tds 463rec 18.3yards per catch

Nick Pietrosante: 872yds 5.4ypc 8tds

Paul Lowe: 855yds 6.3ypc 8tds

anyways

Even the wideouts of that era had inflated yards per catch.

i was thinking the same thing about the QB. that was great. and yea, i have been watching football since the bears won in 85 and i have yet to see another guy like him. hope we will get the pleasure of seeing those kinda moves again before we die. maybe its bush, maybe not...right now i wont compare.

Sayers and Payton were both stronger. Not too many clips in there where Barry plows through someone. Cutting is nice but sometimes you need to forget about east-west and punish a quy- and turn the minus yardage into plus. That's why I wouldn't compare Bush to Barry. For some reason, people just flat-out ignore how strong th kid is. He absolutely punished some defenders in college. Yes, I know I just wrote "college" but he gave the Titans a small taste in preseason.

I won't say he's the next anyone but I'm as excited as heck to see him get his hands on the ball.

:thumbsup: scoreboard :doh:

Barry? nope.

Jim Brown? not even close(that focken era had all the talent on offense while rejects were put on D. Owners wanted more points on the board and

anyways

Most MVP's? Emmitt won it once - same number of times as Walter and Barry. Jim Brown won two...

Payton and Barry both made more Pro Bowls than Emmitt.

Speaking of Pro Bowls, how many pro bowlers did Emmitt play with on the offensive side of the ball in the prime of his career? 3 in 91, 5 in 92, 7 in 93, 7 in 94, 7 in 95, 5 in 96, 2 in 97, 2 in 98, 2 in 99, 4 in 00.... So 44 combined in his first 11 seasons.

How many pro bowlers did Walter play with on the offensive side of the ball in the prime of his career? Not a single one on the offensive side of the ball until 1985, his 11th season.

Nuff said. Emmitt isn't even in the top 3.

Barry was getting there, but not there yet when he bailed.

He may very well have been the best runner, but his blocking skills left something to be desired. He was getting better the last year or two though, so with a bit more time, I would quite possibly consider him the best RB ever. But he chose not to take that time.

:masturbate: :rolleyes:

EMMITT SMITH IS #1 FOREVER. :lol:

There's a reason that the Lions didn't make the playoffs most years, and Barry is part of that.

Playoffs 6 out of 9 years with Barry, and with the LIONS, best QB was probably Scott Mitchell. Barry was the ONLY reason they won more than 4 games every year, any moron could see that, which is why he won MVP in 97(everyone knows it shouldn't of been a split) and probably should've won a couple more.

Reggie Bush couldn't hold Barry's jock strap, not even close. You think Bush had a great college career??? Barry Sanders in 88'....2600 yards arushing, 39 TDs...in 11 games(didn't count bowl games, or, it would be 43 TDs) and he WASN'T on one of the greatest offenses ever. Bush has some great moves, but, a Barry Sanders he is not. Maybe Gale Sayers.

Most MVP's? Emmitt won it once - same number of times as Walter and Barry. Jim Brown won two...

Payton and Barry both made more Pro Bowls than Emmitt.

Speaking of Pro Bowls, how many pro bowlers did Emmitt play with on the offensive side of the ball in the prime of his career? 3 in 91, 5 in 92, 7 in 93, 7 in 94, 7 in 95, 5 in 96, 2 in 97, 2 in 98, 2 in 99, 4 in 00.... So 44 combined in his first 11 seasons.

How many pro bowlers did Walter play with on the offensive side of the ball in the prime of his career? Not a single one on the offensive side of the ball until 1985, his 11th season.

Nuff said. Emmitt isn't even in the top 3.

I got it, pro bowl > superbowl

season mvp > superbowl mvp + superbowl titles + postseason rushing records + superbowl rushing records

I loved the one halfway through where Barry reversed his field, and Rodney Peete raised his arms for the TD when Barry was still at the 20 YARD LINE. Almost like he'd seen it so many times

i was going to say the same thing. Barry was still behind the line of scrimmage at that point too. :headbanger:

Everyone always talks about Barry and how great he was. Man, if Emmitt Smith had been behind that offensive line, he would have danced all over the place and lost just as many yards for his team!

If Emmitt had that line, he would have gone nowhere. How many all-pros did emmitt have in his career on his oline? How many did Barry have? Not to mention actually having a QB, WRs, and a defense to get the ball back...

I got it, pro bowl > superbowl

season mvp > superbowl mvp + superbowl titles + postseason rushing records + superbowl rushing records

K look at each back's teams...1 man does not make a team.

Who had the better team to help him out? Emmitt. Barry didn't have anything to help out. Sorry but alot of credit has to go to the team around them. Put Emmitt on the Lions, nada, no probowl, no leading rusher. How did Barry outpace him in yards some years with an inferior team? Talent pure and simple.

Payton was the best ever.

Barry was the most exciting.

Emmitt is a tough one because you never know if he would have been just another very good player if he didn't have the best line in recent NFL history blocking for him. Still, because he holds the records, he's got to be afforded a lot of consideration as one of the best ever.

I wish we could make it through a nice Barry Sanders thread without discussing Reggie Bush.

:doublethumbsup: scoreboard :rolleyes:

Barry? nope.

anyways

This arguement is always fun. Stats aren't everything although anyone that is an Emmitt Smith fan with ALWAYS say otherwise. Stats tell some of the story but not all. I mean come on, look at some of the scrubs that have put up stats running in Denver over the past few years. Stats are a stronger sign of how good the players are around you and how good the system/coaching is. Pure running................Barry with no contest. Blocking, goal line.........blah blah blah..........Barry is the best there is, best there was, and the best there ever will be.

Greatest thing about Barry. He retired outta respect for the game, he didnt care about personal records, unlike Emmitt the Arizona Cardinal Smith

That's because much like Rice he is a stat wh0re.