Sign in to follow this  
MissionCoach

Gates isn't getting it done

With Rivers, NOT Brees, under Center in S.D. now, it seems like Gates is not an upper tier FF option anymore.

I'm in a very competative 12 team league...we start 3 Receivers (WR/TE)...Gates has been rec. #3, but he is just not getting it done this year.

JMO, but Gates has joined the rest of the pack and is not a difference maker at the TE position any longer.

Agreed, but the blame lies completely on Martyball.

Shittenheimer has been a fantasy killer since he was born. He gets a 3 point lead in the first quarter and then starts to run the clock out. Focking genius.... then he wonders why his record in big games is so bad. :rolleyes:

Charger players where vocal about the game against the Ravens where they feel they should have won. Essentially they were claiming that their "Play not to lose" mentality caused the loss. Focking Martyball! They threw like 9 passes inthe second half. NINE focking passes! :rolleyes:

Anyways, yes, Gates can be safely benched in most leagues. e'll grab a few short TD's here and there but you can forget the 100 yard games...they left along with Drew Brees. His days of having gaudy WR #1 type numbers are over unless something drastically changes.

Agreed, but the blame lies completely on Martyball.

Shittenheimer has been a fantasy killer since he was born. He gets a 3 point lead in the first quarter and then starts to run the clock out. Focking genius.... then he wonders why his record in big games is so bad. :lol:

Charger players where vocal about the game against the Ravens where they feel they should have won. Essentially they were claiming that their "Play not to lose" mentality caused the loss. Focking Martyball! They threw like 9 passes inthe second half. NINE focking passes! :wall:

Anyways, yes, Gates can be safely benched in most leagues. e'll grab a few short TD's here and there but you can forget the 100 yard games...they left along with Drew Brees. His days of having gaudy WR #1 type numbers are over unless something drastically changes.

Not sure I'd bench him quite yet... I'm hoping SD wakes up and opens up the offense a little bit. He still had 4 pts last week, which should be the low end of his normal stats.

I am also a Gates owner....my leauge plays 3 WR 1W/R 1W/T......our leauge droped the TE spot.....dunno really why, but i picked gates up in the 5th round thinking he would be a steal.......he's done Sh!t so far but im waiting for this rivers kid to get comfortable......with a guy like LT at RB he didnt have to worry about passing to much........i expect it to turn around, but if i dont get numbers from him this week ima be forced to :lol: him

Ive picked him up in 2nd round in 16 teams league. What a mistake that i have made.

I traded Gates & Phil Rivers for Heath Miller and Delhomme. My other QB is Losman and I can move Colston in to TE and trade miller or drop him.

You cant get too much out of gates right now.

Why can't you trade him? I'm sure he was your third pick and I'm sure someone will take him.

3 receiver league, no TE position...I actually picked Gates up in the 5th round....I tried packaging him in a trade, but no takers. I'm weak at the WR position to begin with, and Gates is not producing even average numbers for a receiver. Jurevicious is sitting on the WW, I'm thinking of dropping Gates for him.

i think if you drop gates now u will regreat it later......the season is still young, if you worried, i would not drop him, but ;) him untill you see production from him......like i said if he puts up nothing this week ima do just that.....but come on......drop gates???....its almost unheard of.....

From Fanball today.

10/04 10:01 Chargers: Rivers wants to get the ball to Gates

The News

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers is happy with his progress, but he knows that he needs to feed his best target, tight end Antonio Gates, more often. "We've got to get him the ball more," Rivers told the team's official web site. "He's a big play-maker for us, and it will be a continuous effort to get him more touchdowns. That fits what we try to do week by week, but we'll put more of a focus on it as we move forward." Amongst tight ends, Gates currently ranks 13th in catches (10) and 12th in yards (122), and he's caught only one touchdown.

Our View

Rivers and Gates will have more chances to hook up once Marty Schottenheimer and Cam Cameron take the training wheels off their young quarterback. This Sunday's home game against the Steelers may not be the best scenario for that, but the Chargers' schedule eases up a bit after that.

i think if you drop gates now u will regreat it later......the season is still young, if you worried, i would not drop him, but :dunno: him untill you see production from him......like i said if he puts up nothing this week ima do just that.....but come on......drop gates???....its almost unheard of.....

If he can't produce

I'll cut his azz loose :unsure: :(

He actually has really nice matchups for a TE for a large chunk of the upcoming season. He also, is tailor-made for Rivers who seems like he'll progress into a smart, somewhat weak-armed QB. With LT keeping defenses honest in the red zone, i can't see Rivers not using his stud TE.

The big question: Brees could pretty much throw any kind of pass and mixed up his throws very well. From what i've seen of Rivers, he's still does have the training wheels on and while Brees is no rocket arm, Rivers really does not put alot of zip on his passes.

I'd bench but hold on for now, but defenses may try to take away the gates option over the middle and force Rivers to throw to his WRs and to the edges. gates has freakish ability, but extra safeties draping on him could make it hard for him to go off.

If he can't produce

I'll cut his azz loose <_< :lol:

If you're the dummy who drops Gates,

you'll kick yourself for every touchdown he makes.

Attention dummies: dropping gates is sheer idiocy. He is the best TE in FFB and someone in your league will deal you something for him. So if you really don't want to wait more than 3 weeks to see if he gets something done (SD already had the BYE) then try to move him before flat out dropping him.

Drop gates....How dumb can you be? :cry:

Marty doesn't trust Rivers to throw the ball yet. It was pathetic how SD lost because of Marty's conservative play calling. They were in FG range and a 3rd and 9 or something and they just ran the ball to kick a FG. Now, thats how a team plays to LOSE. SD deserved to lose with the conservative play calling.

Marty loved Brees and wanted him back, but the management didn't want to keep him. He really trusted Drew.... and right now he's developing the trust with Philip. Once he settles down and gets more experience, he'll pass more and more... and that means Gates will get his numbers.

From watching Rivers play... the kid got an arm and good accuracy. He just haven't gotten the chance to throw the ball much cause of Marty.

Why can't you trade him? I'm sure he was your third pick and I'm sure someone will take him.

Totally agree here. If you don't want him, trade him, don't just drop him.

Attention dummies: dropping gates is sheer idiocy. He is the best TE in FFB and someone in your league will deal you something for him. So if you really don't want to wait more than 3 weeks to see if he gets something done (SD already had the BYE) then try to move him before flat out dropping him.

Drop gates....How dumb can you be? :banana:

If my league had a TE position, I wouldn't even think about dropping Gates...but right now, even as a my #3WR Gates is sucking wind.

I did try to trade him...but so far no takers.

Sometimes you gotta know when to cut your losses

I own him in 2 of my 4 leagues and can't get crap for him. I picked up Winslow late in both leagues thinking he might be huge and Gates might bust. Obviously Winslow is putting up better numbers so I'm trying to shop Gates. I've offered trades like Gates/Gore for DJax/scrub and got laughed at.

I'm sure as hell not going to drop him so I guess I'm just going to carry two TE's all year.

A lot of people were complaining about Santana Moss the first few weeks too, and look what happened. There are over ten weeks to go people. Gates will be fine.

A lot of people were complaining about Santana Moss the first few weeks too, and look what happened. There are over ten weeks to go people. Gates will be fine.

Now Santana will put up another 3 or 4 eggs before exploding for another 2 or 3 TD day. Santana scored 7 of his 9 TD's in 3 games last season. He's definitely going to win you a couple games but his inconsistency is going to cost you a few too. That being said, WR's in general are very inconsistent so I guess the numbers are exagerated.

Gates hasn't put up freakish numbers this year, but I would never even think of dropping him. He's had kind of a low three games, (especially last week's 4 pts) but he's solid and rivers is going to need a big athletic guy in the redzone. he'll pick up, maybe no more 100 yard games, but he'll be the best FFL tight end by the end of the season.

Drop gates....How dumb can you be? :bench:

Scooter, that is what this bored has become. You pretty much have to accept it at some point. Idiotic threads about dropping Cadillac Williams and Gates after three games and people complaining wildly about their free yahoo teams. I remember back when I joined we use to have great debate on this bored about real football topics. Sadly now this is pretty much it.

With Rivers, NOT Brees, under Center in S.D. now, it seems like Gates is not an upper tier FF option anymore.

I'm in a very competative 12 team league...we start 3 Receivers (WR/TE)...Gates has been rec. #3, but he is just not getting it done this year.

JMO, but Gates has joined the rest of the pack and is not a difference maker at the TE position any longer.

You are an idiot. Go and drop a stud TE in the 4th week of the season.

I've offered trades like Gates/Gore for DJax/scrub and got laughed at.

Gore may be cold at present, but he's too good for SF not to work with him on the fumble thing -- he's no more of an injury risk than DJax -- i would jump on a trade like that for those two guys -- Gore will be a viable RB soon enough and Gates is still Gates.. It's just a transition for SD -- He'll prob. have a big 2nd half.

The warning signs were there since Brees left.

Gates will still be a Top 5 TE, but Heap for one has surpassed him and will lay claim to best fantasy TE by season's end.

Drop gates....How dumb can you be? :wacko:

You tell 'em scooter :dunno:

You are an idiot. Go and drop a stud TE in the 4th week of the season.

Thanks for your contribution, but if I had wanted FF advice from someone with your IQ, I'd be at my local supermarket talking to the vegetables.

Your stud TE is ranked 68th in scoring among WR/TE's in my league...there are 15 FA's ahead of Gates in scoring in my league. Even among TE's he's ELEVENTH in scoring....and in case you can't do the math genius, FOUR weeks is 1/4 of the season. No doubt you're still debating about picking up Berrian and Cotchery off the WW in your 4 man league because you don't want to drop your stud RB Priest Holmes...So shut your cakehole stupid unless you have all the facts.

Here's a tip: no one will ever know that you've had a lobotomy if you wear a wig to hide to the scars;