Sign in to follow this  
michael_melhus

Colston at TE/WR in Yahoo sports...What do I do as Commissioner?

I'm the commissioner in our Yahoo league and the guys in my league are having a huge problem with Colston as a TE/WR. The owner is playing him as a TE. Anyone else out there having this problem. As commissioner I'm not sure what I should do? Suggestions?

If and only IF he was the starting TE on opening day do you let that person keep him as a TE. If he wasn't, you need to tell that owner that he is a WR!

Only the lucky few that started him as a TE week 1 should be the lucky ones to keep him that way for the rest of the season!

As commissioner I'm not sure what I should do? Suggestions?

Tell the rest of youre league to stop crying like little poohsays. There sure is a lot of whining in fantasy football about "it's not fair" and such. Guess what, life's not fair, you don't always get your way, deal with it you pansies. I thought we were all grownups around here? I guess I was wrong.

I think if the site lists him as a TE then you leave him that way and allow him to be started there. Tell everybody to stop complaining, you chose to use yahoo's settings and you should keep them and that has Colston as a TE.

If he was drafted then that is the luck of the owner for taking a chance.. If he was picked up, all teams had a chance to draft him...

Yahoo has a few players like this... oh well.....

Tell the rest of youre league to stop crying like little poohsays. There sure is a lot of whining in fantasy football about "it's not fair" and such. Guess what, life's not fair, you don't always get your way, deal with it you pansies. I thought we were all grownups around here? I guess I was wrong.

I am just looking for a little feedback. I didn't even give what my position is on it. It's not about growing up...I just wanted some suggestions. Don't respond if you're "above" just childish posts then....loser.

leave him at TE and tell everyone else in the league to grab a sack and quit complaining

I think if the site lists him as a TE then you leave him that way and allow him to be started there. Tell everybody to stop complaining, you chose to use yahoo's settings and you should keep them and that has Colston as a TE.

:doublethumbsup:

It isn't the job for you as the commish or the other managers to decide where a player can be played. It is the job of the site in question to decide what positions players can be played at.

I'm sure it's been brought up before but Chris Cooley could be used as a RB/TE last year. You didn't hear anybody bitching about that and I think we all know why. Cooley even though a pretty good TE did not put up numbers even comparable to bottom of the barrell starting RB's. Everyone just has a problem with Colston because he's puting up numbers. Even if he actually did move over to TE he'd still put up huge TE numbers.

Another good example of this is Fantasy Baseball. Brandon Inge for example coule be used as a C or 3B last year. He didn't catch a single game the entire year.

btw: I do not own Colston in either of my $$ leagues.

I am just looking for a little feedback. I didn't even give what my position is on it. It's not about growing up...I just wanted some suggestions. Don't respond if you're "above" just childish posts then....loser.

:doublethumbsup: Loser? Is that the best you have? :D No mom insults even? I feel ashamed of myself for even responding to such a pansy of a man :thumbsup: .

unfortunately something like this happens all the time. The guy was a TE in college, so when Yahoo did their database they didnt know he was gonna be a WR. Good news for the guy who has him, word of advice try to get Michael Robinson in the same league, if Gore goes down or continues to fumble he could be gold, a starting RB, who qualifies at guess what WR.

I think you should let the owner with Michael Vick start him at RB. Then it will all be fair.

It may be an oversite by Yahoo, however, as someone else mentioned in this thread, everybody had a chance to get him. If he was putting up 3 catches for 35 yards every week, nobody would care. Did anyone complain RIGHT AWAY when he was aquired? Are you going to change other players with multiple positions too? There are several.

Again, nobody would care, but he has turned out to be GOOD ... so NOW, people are complaining.

The only fair thing to do, is leave him as he is ... and if they want to blame someone, they can blame Yahoo.

You do absolutely nothing. Everyone has an eqaul opportunity to pick him up in a yahoo league. If you snooze you loose! I was amazed that there were people still coming to this board after week 4, asking for an poinion if Colston was for real.

I did not draft him. Two days before the season started, I called a sportswriter for the New Orleans newspaper to find out if it was true that he had beaten out Henderson and would be starting. I had my eye on him and I knew he was a dual eligible. I confess I did not pick him up until after his 3rd catch of his first game. It late first half or early second half.

Yaho has had a number of dual eligibles over the years. Cooley has been listed as TE-RB but nobody bitched about that. Yahoo sets the positions and thems the rules, like it or not.

I have another 'if you snooze, you lose' story that applies here.

Each day it varies a bit but Yahoo clears their transactions at about 3:30 am CST. My wife wakes up at 4:30 to go to work every day. On days that I want to beat the rest of my league to players that might clear waivers but are good enough to add to my team. I leave a note for here to wake me up. I make the transaction and go back to sleep. (I don't waste my waiver position for just anyone!) My wife left for Vegas yesterday. I had an interest in L.White who had been dropped by another team, but wasn't willing to use my waiver spot. Without my wife to wake me up, i slept in today. i checked yahoo transactions to find that another manager already picked up White. I checked the transaction time and it was 4:39 am.

I laughed my ass off that my strategy has now affected the sleep patterns of another manager in my league!

first off he wasn't a TE in college, that is an urban legend

second, if he was listed as a TE when the person picked him up, he's a TE. end of story, you can't revisit history. I'd bet the issue is really that people are annoyed that they didn't pick him up first.

The real issue is that he is playing well so far. If he had only 20 yards and no TD's so far this season, then nobody would be complaining at all. It's called being a cry baby pansy @ss jealous owner, and is laughable at best.

Changing it after 4 weeks have been played is the real problem, had you declared him a WR in week #1, that would be one thing.

But to "fix" it now, would be unfair to those who lost to this team already (because of the "loophole")...

The real problem is yahoo... but thats another thread... MB

You can't blame the commisioner or the player playing Colston as a TE, tell them to blame Yahoo. There's nothing wrong with starting him as a TE if the site lets them.

So if yahoo made a mistake and listed McNabb as a RB, I should be able to play him as a RB? I think that a major mistake like this, and I do consider it a major mistake, should be fixed if possible. I am a commish of 2 leagues and I think it is the responsability of the commish to keep things fair. If the site has it wrong, you need to fix it if you can. As someone mentioned, no one cares if the site makes a mistake on a player who isn't performing. But that's kind of like a lot of penalties that only get called if a team gains an advantage. In this situation, a team is clearly gaining an advantage and it should be stopped. I am in a Yahoo league where I have Colston. I am not the commish of this particular league, but I would have no problem if the commish told me I had to play Colston as a WR. There are very few, if any, owners who drafted Colston and planned to start him at TE. Most people drafted him as a late round flyer or more than likely, picked him off waivers. The easy thing to do is to leave it as is and blame yahoo. The right thing to do is to make the owners with Colston play him at the only position he plays.

Another Colston as TE position thread.

"So if yahoo made a mistake and listed McNabb as a RB, I should be able to play him as a RB?"

What a dumb example.... McNabb never was drafted as RB.. never line up as RB.. why would you ever consider him as RB? Colston at least had an excuse to be TE cause of his draft eligibility..

So it is commish's job to allow to have Bush in WR position as well huh? Oh hold up.. Commish cant do that since Yaoo does not allow Bush to be in WR position.. If Colston must stay as WR cause of his eligibility, you must allow Bush to have WR/RB eligibility as well cause thats' what Bush is.

It is not a job of commish to interfare with league's rule.. It is his job to make sure that everyone understands yahoo league's rule.

You didn't hear anybody bitching about that and I think we all know why. Cooley even though a pretty good TE did not put up numbers even comparable to bottom of the barrell starting RB's.

Actually, during Lamont Jordan's bye week last year, I started Cooley and he had two TDs for 18 points. I ended up winning a week in which I thought I was done for (Randy Moss and Jordan on byes) because of Cooley as an RB. :bench:

Um... yeah. Colston is very good, and he's listed as a TE. If Colston wasn't racking up points, no one would be complaining. Everyone had a chance to get him, the smartest one won out. Just like with every other good player in the league.

So if yahoo made a mistake and listed McNabb as a RB, I should be able to play him as a RB? I think that a major mistake like this, and I do consider it a major mistake, should be fixed if possible. I am a commish of 2 leagues and I think it is the responsability of the commish to keep things fair. If the site has it wrong, you need to fix it if you can. As someone mentioned, no one cares if the site makes a mistake on a player who isn't performing. But that's kind of like a lot of penalties that only get called if a team gains an advantage. In this situation, a team is clearly gaining an advantage and it should be stopped. I am in a Yahoo league where I have Colston. I am not the commish of this particular league, but I would have no problem if the commish told me I had to play Colston as a WR. There are very few, if any, owners who drafted Colston and planned to start him at TE. Most people drafted him as a late round flyer or more than likely, picked him off waivers. The easy thing to do is to leave it as is and blame yahoo. The right thing to do is to make the owners with Colston play him at the only position he plays.

PERFECT EXAMPLE!

Here we have a guy who, in leagues where he doesn't have Colston, he considers it a "major mistake", but in a league where he HAS COLSTON, he wont play him as a TE only IF the commish tells him to.

Stop being a whiny bich, and bending the rules to fit YOUR BEST INTEREST!

I just won this thread.

:huh:

ETA: Talk about getting THROTTLED! Nice 666th post, dumbass! :bench:

What if, for one play, Colston lined up as a TE ... would you be happy?

All of you who are bitching about Colston's dual eligibiliity...

WHy dont you go tell your commissioner that Reggie Bush should have WR eligibiility whether you have him or not?

I bet you.. you wouldnt do that if you dont own Bush. Then why the hell r u guys crying about Colston?

PERFECT EXAMPLE!

Here we have a guy who, in leagues where he doesn't have Colston, he considers it a "major mistake", but in a league where he HAS COLSTON, he wont play him as a TE only IF the commish tells him to.

Stop being a whiny bich, and bending the rules to fit YOUR BEST INTEREST!

I just won this thread.

:bench:

Um, you didn't win anything. And why do so many people feel the need for insults if they disagree? It sounds like a bunch of you are just being defensive because you own Colston and don't want to lose your advantage. I am not bending any rules to fit my interest. I am saying that I would favor a rule that would actually go against my interest. And for your info, I never said I was playing Colston at TE. I have actually been playing Heap at TE and Colston as a WR.

Sorry. I didnt even try to insult you. I was just pointing out that it is a bad example.

If you are concrete with your opinion on Bush's eligibility issue, your argument is totally valid.

I think both parties have good reason to speak up.. this argument will never end unless Colston gets injured or something. Ops..... i didnt say that.. :banana:

I think you should let the owner with Michael Vick start him at RB. Then it will all be fair.

haha. people only complain when they dotn ahve him. if you use yahoo!, and they continue to lsit him as te, then you have to let the manager paly him as one. ive had him for over two weeks and not a single person in either of my leagues has said anything. boo hoo.

IT'S WEEK 5 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

AND YOU WANT TO CHANGE RULES NOW??????

Umm, I think it is time to bury this topic permanently, guys. Consensus is: commish should NOT INTERFERE with yahoo classification, OK?

My guess, however is this: if people were still asking on this site in week 4 'is Colston for real?', they will still be debating whether the Yahoo determination of dual eligiblilty should (or should have) been overridden when we are in the play-offs!

My solution to the problem is a simple one. Yahoo should buy out ownership of the Saints, and then require

Coach Payton to play Colston one play per game at TE....end of controversy, OK?

It looks like Yahoo really screwed the pooch on this one. Your first mistake was running a league on Yahoo.... but that's besides the point. Let's address the issue at hand here; 1) NFL.com lists him as a WR, 2) The only reason that he is listed as either/or is because the NFL "experts" believed that going into the draft he lacked speed. That said, because he had some nice size they felt he was better suited for the switch to TE at the next level... but that just isn't the case. He is a WR and there shouldn't be any way around it. This is just a poor display of research on the part of Yahoo... but then again, it is Yahoo. 3) As a long time Commissioner I would simply ask the league to intuitively look at the situation and objectively realize that he isn't a TE... he never was a TE... and I personally haven't ever seen him lineup as a TE. Take the initiative and overrule Yahoo... that's what you need to do... that's the bottom line. My advice... move away from Yahoo and go to a site that will make adjustments accordingly.

You do absolutely nothing. Everyone has an eqaul opportunity to pick him up in a yahoo league. If you snooze you loose! I was amazed that there were people still coming to this board after week 4, asking for an poinion if Colston was for real.

I did not draft him. Two days before the season started, I called a sportswriter for the New Orleans newspaper to find out if it was true that he had beaten out Henderson and would be starting. I had my eye on him and I knew he was a dual eligible. I confess I did not pick him up until after his 3rd catch of his first game. It late first half or early second half.

Yaho has had a number of dual eligibles over the years. Cooley has been listed as TE-RB but nobody bitched about that. Yahoo sets the positions and thems the rules, like it or not.

I have another 'if you snooze, you lose' story that applies here.

Each day it varies a bit but Yahoo clears their transactions at about 3:30 am CST. My wife wakes up at 4:30 to go to work every day. On days that I want to beat the rest of my league to players that might clear waivers but are good enough to add to my team. I leave a note for here to wake me up. I make the transaction and go back to sleep. (I don't waste my waiver position for just anyone!) My wife left for Vegas yesterday. I had an interest in L.White who had been dropped by another team, but wasn't willing to use my waiver spot. Without my wife to wake me up, i slept in today. i checked yahoo transactions to find that another manager already picked up White. I checked the transaction time and it was 4:39 am.

I laughed my ass off that my strategy has now affected the sleep patterns of another manager in my league!

Dude, It's time to get your wife trained already. Why should you lose any sleep just to pick up a player. If she has to be awake anyway, why not just tell her the night before who you want to pick up and who you want to drop and let her do it in the morning. No reason for you to get up in the middle of the night.

Alright, that was a somewhat of a joke. You're gonna have to kiss some ass. Maybe cook dinner, buy flowers, sweet talk her, whatever it takes to convince her to do that for you. I have had my wife do 2 waiver pick ups for me so far this season. Fantasy sites are blocked at my work but not at hers. She was (and is) more than happy to do it for me. Then again she plays fantasy football too. It's a little different than your situation in the middle of the night, but I'm sure you could work something out with her.

If and only IF he was the starting TE on opening day do you let that person keep him as a TE. If he wasn't, you need to tell that owner that he is a WR!

Only the lucky few that started him as a TE week 1 should be the lucky ones to keep him that way for the rest of the season!

Really? Please tell me when Cooley last year started at either TE or RB?

I'm the commissioner in our Yahoo league and the guys in my league are having a huge problem with Colston as a TE/WR. The owner is playing him as a TE. Anyone else out there having this problem. As commissioner I'm not sure what I should do? Suggestions?

Dude, he was drafted as a TE or WR by the Saints. Yahoo categorized him as such because he was a rookie. You can't change it now. If it is to change, it has to be next year.

It looks like Yahoo really screwed the pooch on this one.

yahoo didn't screw the pooch at all. most sites had colston available to use as a TE in week 1. yahoo just believes it's more fair to not ever take away someones eligibility because people make their roster decisions based on it. some other leagues believe it's more fair to change it when they see fit.

it's different than if mcnabb was listed as a tightend because that would clearly be a slipup by the site/software. colston being listed as having TE eligibility on yahoo isn't a slipup, it was a reasonable classification in week 1. and because of their rules they're not going to change it.

From this loooong response you are obviously against starting colston as a TE. However, in the league you own him do you start him as a WR or TE? The answer better be as a WR or you are a hypocrite.

Yahoo's retaining Colston's TE eligibility is consistent with their position eligibility rules. As commisioner you should inform the other players of these rules and leave it at that. Depending on their level of maturity, you might be able to reduce their whining if you explain that forcing the Colston owner to start him at WR only would be breaking the eligibility rules set up by Yahoo and adversely affects the savy owner who is relying on the rules being enforced consistently (probably dropped or traded other valuable tight end) just to cover for their ignorance.

I say that commishes are obligated to correct any scoring errors allowed by the site used by the league. I think Yahoo is very short sighted in not correcting their error once it became obvious. If I were using Yahoo and they refused to fix it, I'd be switching sites ASAP. Colston is NOT a TE and commishes should announce that in some near future week, he would no longer be scored as a TE. To me its no different than if Curry would be pressed into action as OAKs QB for 2-3 weeks. During those weeks, he's a QB not a WR.

Don't ever let a site's weakness dictate how to run your leagues.

I have Colston in a Yahoo league where I can play him as a TE....so thats fair.

I do not have him in a CBS league where he is a WR...so also fair.

Fair = helps me

Unfair = hurts me

Jeez, not hard to figure out...

Unless you have a rule about it, there is nothing you can do as far as the past is concerned. Yahoo and any other site who has this wrong is really screwing the pooch on this one as he clearly is not a TE. People who are for or are against this most likely have ulterior motives.

My take is that owners have a legitimate gripe. He is not a TE... and everyone knows it. If owners are crying now... it will not get better and likely only get worse... and democracy and logic should be put into effect. In the league I commission rules/rulings are made mid-season by vote.

unfortunately something like this happens all the time. The guy was a TE in college, so when Yahoo did their database they didnt know he was gonna be a WR. Good news for the guy who has him, word of advice try to get Michael Robinson in the same league, if Gore goes down or continues to fumble he could be gold, a starting RB, who qualifies at guess what WR.

NFL.COM:

WEAKNESSES

Colston was a receiver at Hofstra and will need to learn to play a new position while trying to build a career in the NFL. He is not explosive off the ball and this will hinder his ability to release quickly into route. He will need to learn how to fight through the linebacker jam. He was not a highly competitive blocker as a receiver, so he is going to clearly have to become an aggressive blocker to be productive in the NFL. On easy passes within his frame, he has a bad habit of body catching passes (although he does catch them). While he had outstanding size for a receiver, he is going to need to bulk up and add approximately 25 pounds to make it as a tight end.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=119124

This guy was a WR at Hofstra, they PROJECTED him to be a TE in the pros.

I think it's BS that Yahoo decided to make him TE eligible, I even read that garbage that the guy from Yahoo said about him, being PROJECTED as a TE in APRIL made him te eligible, even though he was never put there even in PS....

Yahoo won't change it, even though CBSSportsline already has.

I asked them about it as well(after week1), they said " Sorry blah blah blah"