Sign in to follow this  
jvizzini

Brandon Jacobs Next Year

So if Tiki retires next year, how much hype will Jacobs get? will he be the starter.. how high in drafts will people reach for him? A definite keeper..and if so over who???

Lets discuss :banana:

1-1

Think Tiki's yards that he'll get in the Giants offense combined with Betti's ability to find the end zone.

I say 1750 yards, 18-23 TD's.

Mark it down.

1-1

Think Tiki's yards that he'll get in the Giants offense combined with Betti's ability to find the end zone.

I say 1750 yards, 18-23 TD's.

Mark it down.

You are saying he should be the #1 pick next year????

2nd rounder IF he's going to be the feature back. He won't have the value that Tiki does because he isn't as good of a receiver and won't bust the long ones. Tiki often pads his stats with 50 or 60 receiving yards, Jacbos won't do that.

LaDanian will still have the adp 1.1 spot locked up, but Brandon will be a top 5 pick. The guy is a beast and has a chance to produce even better numbers than Tiki. Amazing but true. As for breaking long runs, I guess some of us don't watch the preseason. :mad:

what Jacobs doesn't get in recieving yardage, he will make up for in TD's. I see him being a more valuable rb than Tiki in the world of FF. Alot can change if the Giants look to bring in someone to compete for the starting job or Jacobs proves he can't stay healthy. My personal opinion based on a few little things I've read, is that the Giants are happy with the progress Jacobs has made and will give him a chance to carry the load

Micheal Turner....in NY

Believe it

Jacobs will be hyped and probably end up in the late 1st early 2nd depending on how thing shake out with the rest of the RBs this year. As things stand now.. LT, SA and LJ will still most likely be the top 3, with Portis and SJAX, Dunn (if he stays with the Falcons) coming next. After that, I can see guys taking a shot at Jacobs.

IF he's named the starter for New York next year, the hype will be huge. He will be drafted late first round or early second. Brandon Jacobs will be a MAJOR disappointment.

brandon jacobs has improved his play big time from last year. He actually looks good running the ball this year, but I dont think hes a 20 touch guy. The reason the guy runs everybody over is becasue he comes in fresh everytime he touches the ball.

Michael the "Burner" Turner!!! I hope it'll keep my w/ a keeper and a good back off the boards for my buddy!

He will be OVERhyped, ala every Miami player this year.

The potential is there, certainly, but so are the concerns that center around any unproven back. He'll be a high risk/high reward pick that plenty of people will jump at and plenty of people will avoid.

I'd pay attention towards the end of the season. If the coaches know for certain that Tiki is retiring, Jacobs may get a larger workload. I think that will be the best indication of potential, especially if he can get 15 touches.

And this whole Turner thing is pure speculation - most people touting it are Turner owners in a keeper league. Take all rumors with a grain of salt...

Same has where Chestor was taken in this yr Draft... between the 3rd and 4th...

Personally, i would take Bush and Maroney over Jacobs.. and depending on Rhodes' status; toss in Addia ove Jacobs too..

NYG will draft or sign another starting-quality RB. At best, it will still be RBBC for Jacobs, but he could see more carries. While his size makes him a beast, it would also likely be dehabilitating if he got 300 touches. At his size, he'll take exponetially more direct hits than a smaller back can avoid or deflect at the end of the run.

wait, did someone just blindly qualify warrick dunn as a top ten pick next year? i mean i own the guy, but it's near time to cut bait... i think i'ma use one of my three keeper spots on jacobs next season, but who knows. alotta talk from the peanut gallery without much substance to cement the opinions... it's crazy, evyone's so extreme on this one. according to my research in this forum brandon jacobs is the best running back who never deserves playing time... i get that right?

Micheal Turner....in NY

Believe it

Agreed , Jacobs wont be the featured back. They will have Thunder and Lightning again.

wait, did someone just blindly qualify warrick dunn as a top ten pick next year? i mean i own the guy, but it's near time to cut bait... i think i'ma use one of my three keeper spots on jacobs next season, but who knows. alotta talk from the peanut gallery without much substance to cement the opinions... it's crazy, evyone's so extreme on this one. according to my research in this forum brandon jacobs is the best running back who never deserves playing time... i get that right?

I'm pretty much in the same situation.

My three keepers coming into this year were SA, Cadi, and Holt. I drafted Chester in the first followed by Hines Ward and Donovan Mcnabb.

The way Donovan is playing I'd almost be tempted to keep him but if Jacobs ends up the starting RB in NY next season I'll probably end up keeping SA, Jacobs, and Holt or Chester (Probably Holt).

I don't know if you would consider this "inside info" but I coach with another coach who has a good relationship with Brandon and speaks to him every week. They talked a couple weeks ago about his role and he mentioned that it would be expanding, especially since Tiki was on his way to retirement. I know the news about Tiki is relatively new, but this was obviously known in the Giants locker room.

Earlier this week the same coach told me that Brandon told him that next year would be his year, and he would be the man in N.Y.

Take this for whatever you want but the guy is an animal and is worth a late 1st early 2nd in ANY league next year.

:thumbsup:

IF he's named the starter for New York next year, the hype will be huge. He will be drafted late first round or early second. Brandon Jacobs will be a MAJOR disappointment.

Sounds like a carbon copy of Ronnie Brown this year as far as hype goes. ADP will be like you said. Late first round, but there's always that group of owners who always take potential over proven production and put him in the top 5. And they'll probably get Ronnie Brown type production.

Micheal Turner....in NY

Believe it

This is the 2nd time you've mentioned this in a topic without a link to anything. Not that I'm calling you out here, but I've since looked everywhere, including 3 pay league sites (ESPN & CBS among them) and TSN and no one has mentioned this. Anywhere. Fanball, rotoworld, TSN, CBS, ESPN/SI, ESPN, Yahoo, etc. So I'm really starting to wonder what your source of this rumor is. Pretty please?

Why would the Giants even commit that much money to Turner anyway? He's going to get one fat paycheck. And at 5'10, 250 he's 45 lbs bigger than Tiki - not exactly a replacement.

It makes no sense. Giants fans can keep using the Michael Turner fantasy with their handloation. But soiling thier shorts over this isn't gonna make it happen.

As for the topic at hand, WHEN Jacobs is the starting RB for the Giants, and provided they grab a "Tiki Barber-type" 5'10" "undersized" back in the draft (of which there are always plenty) to use on 3rd down/change of pace/receiving plays, I would take Jacobs anywhere from 1.11 on. As the starting back, 20-25 carries a game he will be an explosive, punishing runner who will not be pulled at the GL.

The team has been thrilled with his progress, expanding his role each season since he got there, and I can only imagine that they gained more confidence in him with the role he's embraced this season. 5.2 ypc is no joke.

In week 4 of the post season, the Giants got a glimpse of their future. Giants fans here suggested as much. Jacobs responded with 15 carries for 130 yards and 2 TDs, 2 receptions for 13 yds. In my PPR league, that's 30 points. Sure it was the preseason, but he also didn't get a carry after his 2nd TD 5 mins into the 3rd quarter.

He'll be a beast if he starts and gets 25 carries a game. On a team with a good line a good young QB (even if he is a douche) a good WR corps and a run-based offense, Jacobs would probably merrit a mid-1st round pick.

As for Pdogg's "inside source", he should ask him how to spell his name. "Micheal"?

:ninja:

I'll say this - it'll be a year for taking risks. Maroney will also be huge if Dillon goes elsewhere or retires. They could both be mid-1st round value. Same with Tatum Bell and Cedric Benson, depending on what happens with Thomas Jones.

I don't know if you would consider this "inside info" but I coach with another coach who has a good relationship with Brandon and speaks to him every week. They talked a couple weeks ago about his role and he mentioned that it would be expanding, especially since Tiki was on his way to retirement. I know the news about Tiki is relatively new, but this was obviously known in the Giants locker room.

Earlier this week the same coach told me that Brandon told him that next year would be his year, and he would be the man in N.Y.

Take this for whatever you want but the guy is an animal and is worth a late 1st early 2nd in ANY league next year.

:pointstosky:

Exactly.

I don't know where this guy's getting this crap, but it's the 2nd time in a week he's posted it and claimed "inside info" - I think this might be Michael Turner's agent. :cheers:

NYG will draft or sign another starting-quality RB. At best, it will still be RBBC for Jacobs, but he could see more carries. While his size makes him a beast, it would also likely be dehabilitating if he got 300 touches. At his size, he'll take exponetially more direct hits than a smaller back can avoid or deflect at the end of the run.

uh, so Tiki was too small, and couldn't take the hits and Jacobs is too big and can't take the hits?

I totally disagree. Jacobs is a big punishing rusher and he's been very durable so far. Being able to take hits has nothing to do with size. Ask Brian Westbrook and Corel Buckhalter how their totally diverse frames held up respectively. They're both a mess. Meanwhile Tiki's always been underrated as an undersized back - he takes PLENTY of hits and has had good health most of his career carrying a huge load.

Tiki takes as many hits as an LJ who takes as many hits as an Alexander who takes as many as a Tomlinson. Longevity has nothing to do with size. It's not the quantity of hits a back takes but taking the one wrong hit.

Jacobs is a unique combination of power & speed and the Giants know well what they have in him.

So other than you saying so, on what do you base this prognostication?

:ninja:

I can tell you all kinds of reasons that Jacobs should be worth wherever he's drafted (within reason) but you failed to offer even one reason why he'll fail.

Please enlighten me - I'm curious. :cheers:

2nd rounder IF he's going to be the feature back. He won't have the value that Tiki does because he isn't as good of a receiver and won't bust the long ones. Tiki often pads his stats with 50 or 60 receiving yards, Jacbos won't do that.
what makes you think he won't break the long ones? His 4.46 40 yd dash seems to disagree with that statement...

This kid will be a beast. He has the size and the speed to be productive. Give him 20-30 carries a game and he will wear down defenses. The only reason he went later in the draft was because he went to a small college. Only reason he went to a small college is because he was competing w/ Caddy and Ronnie at Auburn.

I think he has top 5 potential with his talent.

what makes you think he won't break the long ones? His 4.46 40 yd dash seems to disagree with that statement...

This kid will be a beast. He has the size and the speed to be productive. Give him 20-30 carries a game and he will wear down defenses. The only reason he went later in the draft was because he went to a small college. Only reason he went to a small college is because he was competing w/ Caddy and Ronnie at Auburn.

I think he has top 5 potential with his talent.

:lol:

I remember Giants fans pissing themselves with glee around here after the NFL draft. I paid attention to him that year and he looked scary. He was the steal of the draft at RB. :lol:

Tiki is going to go out with style and Jacobs is a future star. It's funny - the Giants have been trying to get a

"thunder" to go with his "lightning" - they never could get that. Now I think they have a back that they won't need to go searching for the missing link. Jacobs is both. Get a MJ-J/Westbrook/Dunn type in there on 3rd downs and NYG will lose Tiki and not miss a beat in their run game. One man's opinion.

:doublethumbsup:

I remember Giants fans pissing themselves with glee around here after the NFL draft. I paid attention to him that year and he looked scary. He was the steal of the draft at RB. :dunno:

Tiki is going to go out with style and Jacobs is a future star. It's funny - the Giants have been trying to get a

"thunder" to go with his "lightning" - they never could get that. Now I think they have a back that they won't need to go searching for the missing link. Jacobs is both. Get a MJ-J/Westbrook/Dunn type in there on 3rd downs and NYG will lose Tiki and not miss a beat in their run game. One man's opinion.

If Lynch comes out though, I wouldn't be suprised to see them snag him in the mid-1st round. To return kicks and be involved on 3rd downs/change of pace

The Giants will get a new starting RB. Jacobs ain't all that. Don't let his size fool you, his strength and football intelligence are a big dropoff from Tiki.

Even if Jacobs is the featured back next year, he might not be a first-rounder. You have LT, LJ, SA, Portis, and SJax looking like locks for early picks. Any combination of Frank Gore, Willie Parker, Kevin Jones, Rudi Johnson, and Brian Westbrook could end up in the mix as well depending on how the rest of the season goes. Then you have Laurence Maroney and Michael Turner, who will likely get new starting roles and the hype that goes along with it.

Sounds like a carbon copy of Ronnie Brown this year as far as hype goes. ADP will be like you said. Late first round, but there's always that group of owners who always take potential over proven production and put him in the top 5. And they'll probably get Ronnie Brown type production.

How can you even compare the two situations? Ronnie Brown had hype solely because Ricky was suspended for the year and Ronnie has decent hands with no GL vulture. What the people who drafted him failed to realize (or in most cases ignored) was the MIA o-line is utter crap. If Tiki did retire and Jacobs took the feature role he'd be running behind one of the better lines in the NFL (4th in rushing, 3rd passing, and 2nd total). Granted alot of that is attributed to Tiki and I don't think Jacobs would be a 3 down back like Tiki but he'd still put up huge numbers and obviously get all the GL's. 15-20 touches a game + all the GL looks would easily make him a lock for 1400 combined and 12-14 TD's. Jacobs will also be in the 3rd year or his 4 year rookie contract so they might as well see what they really got. The Giants would be much wiser to spend a little more $$ on the DEF as they're in the lower half of the league in rushing (18), passing (19), total yards (17), and total points allowed (22). If I was a betting man I'd say Michael Turner is going to end up in Green Bay (Ahman is on a 1 year 2 mil contract and he obviously isn't the back he was 4 years ago), or possibly Jacksonville (Freddy will be in the last year of his contract in 2007 and MJD will never be more then a change of pace back).

assuming tiki retires we'll be hearing waaaay too much about jacobs come next season. i could see his adp ~6, which would be way too high imo. 12-15 might be getting reasonable, however.

If they don't draft a RB high or sign a starter-type free agent then I take Jacobs pretty high:

LT

LJ

SA

Portis

Rudi

SJax

are my top 6 (and I'd also add Peyton Manning) but after that, I'd entertain the idea of taking Jacobs at #8. Hell, Ronnie Brown #4 in some drafts this year and Jacobs has shown more ability if you ask me.

If they don't draft a RB high or sign a starter-type free agent then I take Jacobs pretty high:

LT

LJ

SA

Portis

Rudi

SJax

are my top 6 (and I'd also add Peyton Manning) but after that, I'd entertain the idea of taking Jacobs at #8. Hell, Ronnie Brown #4 in some drafts this year and Jacobs has shown more ability if you ask me.

I feel about the same way...risk? you bet - but that's one of the best rushing O-Lines in the league and they'll be relatively intact next year (injuries notwithstanding)

So what if the Giants draft a smallish 5'10" 200 3rd down option?

I still might take Jacobs between 8-12 and hope for an upside RB in the second round. That offense is going to be good, and Jacobs will be the centerpiece. I can only imagine Eli improves further still...

Lots of hype, but well...could well be worth it. Preseason and the 2007 NFL draft will tell us a lot about Jacobs value...right now it's all based on what-ifs.

This is the 2nd time you've mentioned this in a topic without a link to anything. Not that I'm calling you out here, but I've since looked everywhere, including 3 pay league sites (ESPN & CBS among them) and TSN and no one has mentioned this. Anywhere. Fanball, rotoworld, TSN, CBS, ESPN/SI, ESPN, Yahoo, etc. So I'm really starting to wonder what your source of this rumor is. Pretty please?

I don't think he was implying that Turner would be traded to NY... he's just saying Jacobs will play the same role in NY as Turner currently is in SD. In other words... not a full time role.

How'd it work out? :rolleyes:

him and glenn got me over on monday night... wasn't that much of a stretch since my other options were droughns and rhodes. i'm gonna get used to him winning me money... real easy, real quick. just the start of a wonderful relationship...

It's going to be a tough off season for me.

I can only keep 2 Keepers and my choices will be Portis, SJax, Maroney, Jacobs, Harrison, and CJ....doubt I'd keep either WR, but still I'd like to keep them all.

I don't think he was implying that Turner would be traded to NY... he's just saying Jacobs will play the same role in NY as Turner currently is in SD. In other words... not a full time role.

Turner's a FA, and in here and the other topic he is 100% insinuating that Turner will be in NY next year. He said it directly in the other topic.