Sign in to follow this  
Team Revell

My Chemical Romance

I liked their previous album more, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, as that was a great album from beginning to end.

This one, I'm still getting used to. It's decent, but I don't like it as much. Yet.

I think this is going to be the best album of the year.

no way in hell.

it's good...but it's a concept album...and those always seem better than they really are, especially due to the inherent flow between songs. it's their best, certainly, but i don't see them ever gaining a wide audience outside 17-year-old goth chicks and 30-something-dudes that think they're metal.

best album of the year contenders?

bob dylan

the roots

tv on the radio

the decemberists

gnarls barkley

arctic monkeys

ghostface killah

thom yorke

johnny cash

flaming lips...

' date='Oct 30 2006, 10:21 AM' post='2822519']

bob dylan

the roots

tv on the radio

the decemberists

gnarls barkley

arctic monkeys

ghostface killah

thom yorke

johnny cash

flaming lips...

I'd put Band of Horses at the top of that list, but I agree with everything on it. Oh, and Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, too.

' date='Oct 30 2006, 12:21 PM' post='2822519']

no way in hell.

it's good...but it's a concept album...and those always seem better than they really are, especially due to the inherent flow between songs. it's their best, certainly, but i don't see them ever gaining a wide audience outside 17-year-old goth chicks and 30-something-dudes that think they're metal.

bob dylan

the roots

tv on the radio

the decemberists

gnarls barkley

arctic monkeys

ghostface killah

thom yorke

johnny cash

flaming lips...

music today makes me sad.

I couldn't agree more. :lol:

i'll assume that you're excepting the dylan, cash, and (maybe) the flaming lips references?

music today makes me sad.

agreed...

there is no way a band like "the decemberists" should ever be in consideration for "best album of the year"

there lead singer has a horrible northeast accent. And besides the point his voice is horrible. Engine driver is the only song off of that album that i like.

talent at the music level is wearing thin

' date='Oct 30 2006, 02:02 PM' post='2823009']

i'll assume that you're excepting the dylan, cash, and (maybe) the flaming lips references?

I don't like Dylan and I never have. I think he's incredibly overrated.

I've always liked Johnny Cash though and the Flaming Lips are underrated IMO. Those 2 entries, I will accept. :lol:

Every single generation thinks that the music of the next generation is sad and has no talent and blah blah blah. So I guess you guys are no exception.

Love the video for the first single. Intro sounds very much like Queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCTq6p-fhvw

:lol:

How is My Chemical Romance "the next generation" for someone like me? They've been around longer than a couple bands that we've talked about in this thread.

Every single generation thinks that the music of the next generation is sad and has no talent and blah blah blah. So I guess you guys are no exception.

:banana:

it's a good tune, i like how it starts off like a simple marching band song, then it kicks it into high gear after the intro with power chord punk rock...

but... comparing them to queen? eh freddie mercury had the voice, and brian may had the guitar... these guys can't really compare. (and i'm not really a big queen fan)

that aside... good song, i've been waiting for the shout out louds with "please please please" to hit mainstream... but i don't think it's gonna happen... that's another good tune, and if they had been established like my chemical romance maybe they'd be on MTV and such... ah we'll never know

that aside... good song, i've been waiting for the shout out louds with "please please please" to hit mainstream... but i don't think it's gonna happen... that's another good tune, and if they had been established like my chemical romance maybe they'd be on MTV and such... ah we'll never know

The Shout Out Louds and My Chemical Romance are like oranges and rotten apples.

jessy: someone still loves you boris yeltsin is playing live at the woxy lounge (online) today at 4pm.

just an fyi.

' date='Oct 30 2006, 01:29 PM' post='2823090']

jessy: someone still loves you boris yeltsin is playing live at the woxy lounge (online) today at 4pm.

just an fyi.

Dammit. I'll be at work with no soundcard.

:P

I'm part of the same generation as you, and I think most of this music sucks. This isn't about your great grandparents telling your grandparents that Elvis is the debbil. This music just plain sucks.

How is My Chemical Romance "the next generation" for someone like me? They've been around longer than a couple bands that we've talked about in this thread.

You are an entirely different segment. You aren't part of that "this generation's music sucks" old fuddy duddy contingent. You are part of the "I don't like any band that gets popular because they are sellouts" and the holier than thou indie rock loving music snob contingent. :lol:

You are an entirely different segment. You aren't part of that "this generation's music sucks" old fuddy duddy contingent. You are part of the "I don't like any band that gets popular because they are sellouts" and the holier than thou indie rock loving music snob contingent. :banana:

I've never called My Chemical Romance sellouts. I have no opinion on whether they're sellouts or not. I haven't a clue as to their level of popularity. I just think they suck. Which is probably because I am a music snob. I freely admit that. And I don't know many music snobs who like My Chemical Romance.

Back to the selling out point, someone who gets mad because a band sells out and becomes popular usually liked the band before they sold out and/or became popular. I've never, ever liked My Chemical Romance.

My Chemical Romance bites (a frog)

i'm a little confused here... i thought you liked my chemical romance?? standing up for the shout out louds with me??? unheard of. do you think there you think there stuff has the potential to break through... i mean i know the album has been out for awhile, but i was a big fan of panic! at the disco when they came out, and it took that album a year and a half to reach radio play. (this was before i saw their performance live... i hate it when live bands disappoint)

i love them. i bought their cd as a gift for my daughter.

I've never called My Chemical Romance sellouts. I have no opinion on whether they're sellouts or not. I haven't a clue as to their level of popularity. I just think they suck. Which is probably because I am a music snob. I freely admit that. And I don't know many music snobs who like My Chemical Romance.

Back to the selling out point, someone who gets mad because a band sells out and becomes popular usually liked the band before they sold out and/or became popular. I've never, ever liked My Chemical Romance.

My Chemical Romance bites (a frog)

popular = bad. :wall: My Chemical Romance is fine. I like that Black Parade song. I have heard nothing else that I know of off that album. If those asstard bands that you music snobs listed were any good they'd be popular.

Also, johhny cash just talks. They played his entire album at a party and while I kinda dug it once through, no way I would ever listen to it again.

i'm a little confused here... i thought you liked my chemical romance?? standing up for the shout out louds with me??? unheard of. do you think there you think there stuff has the potential to break through... i mean i know the album has been out for awhile, but i was a big fan of panic! at the disco when they came out, and it took that album a year and a half to reach radio play. (this was before i saw their performance live... i hate it when live bands disappoint)

I think My Chemical Romance and Panic! at the Disco are awful.

The Shout Out Louds are a great band. I liked them well enough when I started hearing them on the radio, but then I saw them open for Kings of Leon and I was really impressed. I don't see Clear Channel trying to shove a bunch of scruffy Scandanavians down the public's throat, so their gaining broader appeal is probably not going to happen.

How original... a savage internet music critic who rips the sh!t out of bands with his witty online commentary. :doublethumbsup:

If we are going to use critics to justify our position, I can do that as well.

4 stars from Rolling Stone for the Black Parade...

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/mychem...he_black_parade

A solid review from Spin

http://www.spin.com/reviews/2006/10/0611_mychemicalromance/

4.5 stars from Blender

http://www.blender.com/guide/reviews.aspx?id=4243

Anyone can just post reviews one way or the other. ;)

Team Revell - check out a band called the Street Dogs.

I remember you liking the Dropkick Murphys. Well, the Street Dogs have the first lead singer of the Dropkicks (did the Do or Die album) and the drummer from the Bosstones.

Very quality stuff. They just released their 3rd album last week, Fading American Dream.

http://www.street-dogs.com/

I think My Chemical Romance and Panic! at the Disco are awful.

The Shout Out Louds are a great band. I liked them well enough when I started hearing them on the radio, but then I saw them open for Kings of Leon and I was really impressed. I don't see Clear Channel trying to shove a bunch of scruffy Scandanavians down the public's throat, so their gaining broader appeal is probably not going to happen.

the shout out louds are on teh radio here so you need to add them to the awful list.

How original... a savage internet music critic who rips the sh!t out of bands with his witty online commentary. <_<

It's not even a review of the album. I posted it because I thought it was funny, not because I thought it was a valid critique of the album.

I really don't put much, if any, stock into album reviews because most music critics are full of ######.

the shout out louds are on teh radio here so you need to add them to the awful list.

Um, didn't I say I heard them on the radio? Snow Patrol's popular and I still like them. So are The White Stripes.

Minneapolis's public radio station is proof positive that people will listen to good bands if you play them on the radio. I see it every time I go to a show that wouldn't have sold out two years ago before The Current was on the air, but now is sold out weeks before the actual date of the show.