Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Tipping a cab driver

A buddy of mine doesn't tip cab drivers. He says that, unlike say, a bar or restaurant, they get to keep 100% of what they collect. The then take the proceeds of what they make and apply it to the lease of the cab.

I don't think he's right about that. Does anybody know? Seems to me, some guys own their cab and other guys lease theirs.

Regardless, I tip cabbies. - Unless they really suck. It seems like they work pretty hard. What I don't get is why about 1/2 of them are Nigerian immigrants. - Granted, they smell better than Arabs, but it just seems like an unlikely segment of the population. - But, I digress....

What's an acceptable tip for a cabbie - if you tip at all?

I just tipped a cabbie in last week. $30, I gave him $6. I don't like them helping me with bags, that usually means an extra $1. I typically do 20% when unsure.

I agree with your friend. I went grocery shopping last night and this place has baggers take your bags to your car. I always decline, but this guy last night was persistent. I let him take my bags to the car (mind you I'm bigger and stronger than this leprechaun) and he graciously reminds me that he "accepts tips". I told him that I only had big bills and that I was sorry.

It was true, but at the same time, I declined his service. I'm not tipping for something I don't want.

take a cab? I just put a saddle on Torridjoe and beat him with a riding crop until I get to my destination.

and no, I don't tip.

If the companies they worked for paid them more it wouldn't be necessary. In some situations it does seem a bit overblown, that said tips are pretty vital for them to make a living. I think that with cabbies, it depends on the local regulations, cab company, etc. Cabbies often have to lease their cabs from the company, pay gas, and give a cut of their fares to the company. Other cabbies are independent operators and do keep their fares.

In other countries the tipping custom doesn't exist (I lived in Japan for a number of years, and tipping was generally frowned upon), but again, they usually pay their workers better, and tips aren't necessary for these folks to put food on the table and pay the bills.

From my perspective, unless you get horrible service, you should tip your cabbie, pizza guy, and especially your resturant staff. I usually go about 20%. In the end, it's just good karma.

I usually tip them the change, just let them keep it, unless all I have is a twenty and its like a twelve dollar fare. Just round to the nearest five.

Their leases are a huge scam. There is one that hangs around my house, and I usually take him on the weekends. He told me that their leases are like 90 bucks a day, and if they can't pay it, it increases to 100 (or something like that). Well, lots of these cabbies are stuck on these leases, and once you get behind, you're totally screwed. They also have maintainance contracts with whomever, and it costs like 60 bucks for an oil change, etc..

He once told me of a cab driver that died, and he owed yellow cab something ridiculous like 40K.

yeah alot of cabbies pay their own gas and insurance. when I was like 20 I got my hack to make a couple extra bucks - you'd start your 12 hour shift $75 bucks in the hole.

Guest Davaco

i dont tip em at all. i will never see them again and i can scatter out of the car quickly, so why bother?

you should tip your cabby.....it does depend on where they are cabbing....btu i can tell you that most cabbies make their money on the tips....i would say 10-20% is fair....at least a dollar ....

It depends on the terms of employment. Different cab companies do it different ways.

For those cabbies that pay a fixed fee to the company for their cab per shift, it's a pretty stiff fee.

You won't see many cabbies at the yacht club.