Sign in to follow this  
illest

Problem with Best Buy Restocking Fee

I purchased a laptop from Best Buy. Their policy is they will charge a 15% restocking fee UNLESS it is defective.

The BIG problem I am having is that the laptop is only INTERMITENTLY defective. It will go days at a time working fine but then have various problems.

My wife brought it back for a refund but they would not waive the restocking fee because they could not verify it was defective.

I don't know what I can do because they are not seeming to budge and I am SURE it is defective but may not be able to prove that to them in the next 5 days I have left on the return period.

What can I do? Does the laptop have to be PROVEN defective or does the merchant have to take the consumers account of what is happening?

I'm sure i could exchange it for the same one but with a restockingfee; but my wife doesn't want it anymore-- this model has pissed her off royally.

I'm sure i could exchange it for the same one but with a restockingfee; but my wife doesn't want it anymore-- this model has pissed her off royally.

Restocking fees apply to returns, not exchanges. Sounds to me like you wanted to use a laptop for a week for free. :dunno:

ur not being helpful-- I have no reason to lie or mislead here, common....

my wife doesn't want that laptop anymore, and we will get different one, just not immediately. this is compleley not the point though. We just want to return the defective peice of HP crap for a refund.

Does best buy HAVE to see it was deffective legally to honor their agreement that it is waived for a defective product or do they have to take the consumers account of what is happening?

ur not being helpful-- I have no reason to lie or mislead here, common....

my wife doesn't want that laptop anymore, and we will get different one, just not immediately. this is compleley not the point though. We just want to return the defective peice of HP crap for a refund.

Does best buy HAVE to see it was deffective legally to honor their agreement that it is waived for a defective product or do they have to take the consumers account of what is happening?

No, how old are you? :dunno:

What can I do? Does the laptop have to be PROVEN defective or does the merchant have to take the consumers account of what is happening?

I take it you DIDN'T buy the warranty? Bad move. If you did, you can return it no questions asked. Since you probably didn't, you're obviously not trying hard enough. I would tell the manager, "This is a defective product. If you don't believe me, you and I are going to sit down together for 7 days straight. You and I together for 7 days. If during the seven days, this computer does not malfunction once, I will leave you alone. If you believe your product is a quality product, then you should have no problem with this. If you refuse to sit with me for 7 days, then I'll assume you believe that this product is probably defective, in which case, you owe me a refund or a new product. At least give me store credit."

Simple solution: Shoplift something that is ~ of value to the 15% restocking fee. :banana:

Oh, and don't ever shop at Best Buy. There isn't a thing they sell that you can't find cheaper elsewhere.

I could just as easily break somthing more obvious on it (not physically, with heat or something) if I wanted to get a dishonest return....anyone could, so the policy really encourages that...

It IS defective, and I wouldn't resort to that; so I was wanting to see what others thought I should do...

damn recliner, u love info that doesn't matter; the story is - it is MY WIFES like i said several times. NOT MINE. I don't want an exchange because she doesn't like that model because it has pissed her off royally and she doesn't trust HP anymore.... I dont' want another from best buy becasue best buys prices suck ass. We only bought this one at best buy because it ACTUALLY was a good deal compared to online and what not so I figured what the hell; get it locally..... All their other laptops are way overpriced.... THATS why an exchange is not an option...

I think I understand the problem now...

You have buyer's remorse, so Best Buy should accommodate this by changing their return policy!

:banana:

Best buy does have good long term interest free plans when you open one of their credit cards and the reward points lead to best buy gift certificates. Not a bad deal.

PS - I still think "intermittenly defective" = defective

damn recliner, u love info that doesn't matter; the story is - it is MY WIFES like i said several times. NOT MINE. I don't want an exchange because she doesn't like that model because it has pissed her off royally and she doesn't trust HP anymore.... I dont' want another from best buy becasue best buys prices suck ass. We only bought this one at best buy because it ACTUALLY was a good deal compared to online and what not so I figured what the hell; get it locally..... All their other laptops are way overpriced.... THATS why an exchange is not an option...

Wow! You should dump that b!tch and find one closer to your intelligence level.

Best buy does have good long term interest free plans when you open one of their credit cards and the reward points lead to best buy gift certificates. Not a bad deal.

PS - I still think "intermittenly defective" = defective

This is a good point, but still...as bad as I hate Wal Mart, they aren't forced to resort to such gimmicks to get people to buy their crap because they sell stuff cheap at the register. Best Buy's stuff is ridiculously overpriced and I can't think of a single reason to shop there other than for specific items they may drastically mark down from time to time.

This is a good point, but still...as bad as I hate Wal Mart, they aren't forced to resort to such gimmicks to get people to buy their crap because they sell stuff cheap at the register. Best Buy's stuff is ridiculously overpriced and I can't think of a single reason to shop there other than for specific items they may drastically mark down from time to time.

Best buy also has good warranty programs, they'll replace any item without question if defective as long as you purchase the warranty. Walmart doesn't have that. Best buy doesn't exactly have the best prices, but I did get my 52" DLP there on clearance pretty cheap. (Got almost $1000 off the floor model).

Best buy also has good warranty programs, they'll replace any item without question if defective as long as you purchase the warranty. Walmart doesn't have that. Best buy doesn't exactly have the best prices, but I did get my 52" DLP there on clearance pretty cheap. (Got almost $1000 off the floor model).

Hmm, I have never had a problem returning and/or exchanging something at Wal Mart, and I have never purchased an extended warranty. It has been a while since I bought a big ticket item from Wal Mart so I'm not sure if they have gotten tougher with their policies or not, but historically they are very lenient when it comes to exchanges and returns.

That doesn't mean they aren't evil though. <_<

23 posts and no mention of the service plan? wtf?

(unless i missed it)....

i steer clear of best buy any chance i can....

If I'm working at Best Buy and someone comes in claiming intermittantly defective, and they don't want an exchange because they don't trust HP...red flags are raising all over. Either they are 1) trying to rent a machine, or 2) have an ultra high maintenance wife who thinks illogically.

Either way, they are paying the restocking fee.

#1 Have you given any thought to contacting HP directly for help? Judge the company by the post sale service. Yes, I know, you dont want "another HP piece of crap", but see my next points.

#2 All major brand laptops are contract manufactured by the same group of 6-10 Taiwaneese companies. No matter what the label, you are buying the nearly the same product from the same mfg no matter who you go with. In addtion, consumer electronics have about a 5-10% defective rate and you just got unlucky.

#3 What is your exact problem? If it is the display, HDD, DVDRW, memory, CPU, or just about anything other than the MB/Chassis, then actual fault lies with the company who made said item. HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc. do not make these items.

#4 Your wife is illogical

#5 Go to the district manager for Best Buy if the store monkey will not help.

FWIW, you do sound like someone trying to take advantage of the system and/or buyers remorse.

buy a good toshiba, get their very cheap 3yr ext warranty, make sure there is a local designated repair depot, run the laptop into the ground

wearing out all the parts and get $1000 in repairs from a $130 warranty.

hth

http://www.notebookforums.com/

Maybe someone could help you out is you said what the problem was.

Call up HP and get them to fix it, that's what the warranty is for.

If I'm working at Best Buy and someone comes in claiming intermittantly defective, and they don't want an exchange because they don't trust HP...red flags are raising all over. Either they are 1) trying to rent a machine, or 2) have an ultra high maintenance wife who thinks illogically.

Either way, they are paying the restocking fee.

:banana:

Sounds like it's time to slap the wife around a little

or a lot

I see. Couldn't afford it right now, huh? :banana:

Either that or the wife had a report or something else that required a laptop and now they don't need it.

I'm assuming you paid for this laptop w/a credit card. If you did, then just call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Let your credit card company argue w/Best Buy.

Amateurs :dunno:

I'm assuming you paid for this laptop w/a credit card. If you did, then just call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Let your credit card company argue w/Best Buy.

Amateurs :dunno:

He used joneo's checkbook

Guest Davaco
I purchased a laptop from Best Buy. Their policy is they will charge a 15% restocking fee UNLESS it is defective.

The BIG problem I am having is that the laptop is only INTERMITENTLY defective. It will go days at a time working fine but then have various problems.

My wife brought it back for a refund but they would not waive the restocking fee because they could not verify it was defective.

I don't know what I can do because they are not seeming to budge and I am SURE it is defective but may not be able to prove that to them in the next 5 days I have left on the return period.

INTERMITENTLY defective isnt defective

pay up

who buys computers from BB anyways, buy a dell

so many things wrong with this post i almost dont even know where to start....

1) you should have asked here about what pooter to buy before you bought.

2 ) dont shop at best buy for pooters....

3) dont shop at best buy

4) whenever buying a pooter....always buy the warranty on it no matter where you get it from.....(unless you or a friend is a wizz at pooters)...this is th only time you will hear me say buy a warranty (pooters and cars)

5) can size of wife

6) shouldnt have got married

7) HP is good for printers........not pooters, why do you think it was on sale in the first place?

8) do your research...if you typed in to google best buy, you would have found many many unhappy customers...

9) if you are an idiot....get a damn dell!!!!!!!

10) if you read all of this you are ghey!

:(

Guest Davaco
10) if you read all of this you are ghey!

:dunno:

:doh: