Sign in to follow this  
chiz3

CBS Commish's...

Im in the finals this week. So I call my partner to ask what the payouts are(first year in the league). He then lets me know that the commish is trying to keep $100 of the winning for running the league! Are you kidding me? Do any of your leagues commish keep a portion or is this guy a crook because he finished in last this year. Any CBS league I know of is all money is paid back out. There is no more pencil and paper scoring what the hell is the money for. If He keeps any of the $, Ill be out for next year.

Im in the finals this week. So I call my partner to ask what the payouts are(first year in the league). He then lets me know that the commish is trying to keep $100 of the winning for running the league! Are you kidding me? Do any of your leagues commish keep a portion or is this guy a crook because he finished in last this year. Any CBS league I know of is all money is paid back out. There is no more pencil and paper scoring what the hell is the money for. If He keeps any of the $, Ill be out for next year.

Interesting.

No, none of our leagues pay the commissioner. I'll assume your league's pot was > $1000. If the winner(s) wants to tip the commissioner, they should do so out of their own pocket(s).

Of course, if this $100 pay day was written into the league rules at the beginning, then you are SOL.

The one thing I often wonder - and no offense to you - is why people join leagues where a) they do not know or trust the commissioner or :doh: they play for little or no money with strangers. (In the latter case, what do you actually win? Pride in beating owners who quit as soon as their team goes 1-4?)

Like you, I partnered with a friend in a league in which I had no association. Screwy rules, screwy commissioner. What the hell was I thinking!? I did not go back. Neither should you.

Start recruiting owners for next summer. Good luck.

p.s. Auction is the ONLY way to go.

pretty sure you should go over to his house and knock on the door and punch him in the face in front of his family

MERRY CHRISTMAS B!TCH :doublethumbsup:

Funny thing is, that I used to be in this league when it was pencil and paper scoring and there was too much bs going on, too many ways for guys to cheat, so I bolted the league. Then a few years ago they went to CBS. I partnered up with someone already in the league. I didnt know the payouts when I joined, but just assumed that if CBS is running the league then the commish wasnt getting $$. I dont think anybody else did either. Like I said new to the league, and probably already out. AT least Im leaving with some $$$$$ :doublethumbsup:

no, the commish should not get paid. maybe put aside $20 or something at the most.

Im a commish in a CBS league. we put aside some extra cash, that does not get paid out. but it goes

towards the website, trophies, draft board that kind of thing. I dont see any money. Dont need any.

also, you should have payouts written in the rules before the season starts. (as well as playoff formats

etc for that matter). no reason to have any questions at the end.

pretty sure you should go over to his house and knock on the door and punch him in the face in front of his family

MERRY CHRISTMAS B!TCH :banana:

What he said ^^^^..he's a cheat :ninja:

yeah the commish getting paid is lame. In my league that we've been running for like 6 or 7 years now everyone is just taking turns being commish... not like its a ton of work or anything that deserves to get paid.

This is my year and I have enjoyed being commish; I will be forever remembered for being the commish to initiate and forever impliment PLUS into your yahoo league giving us waiver rules and other cool plus features.

15+ years as Da Commish. My league pays for my beer at the draft. More than enough compensation. :banana:

I should add that I neither ask for this nor expect it. They just always do it because there is significant work that I do and they appreciate the fact.

This is my year and I have enjoyed being commish; I will be forever remembered for being the commish to initiate and forever impliment PLUS into your yahoo league giving us waiver rules and other cool plus features.

Well then do this, if you are spending that kind of $$$ for the PLUS league, do your whole league a favor and switch to CBS Sportsline or anybody else for that matter....

Question: Did everyone in your league pay a portion of the CBS Sportsline fee?

I think the league fee is somewhere in the range of $100-120. Possibly this is why he's trying to keep $100? Now if he's just being greedy, then you do need to leave the league.

why would I switch from Yahoo plus? Yahoo is the best fantasy football I've ever seen.

Why else do you think it's the #1 fantasy football website? - and they don't even have an entire network like CBS touting it every game.

I realize that there are alot of clowns on here that use yahoo's free leagues so they have dumb questions and don't know their asses from their elbows... but that doesn't mean that the quality of the yahoo fantasy football site is bad. Its the best format i've ever seen.

15+ years as Da Commish. My league pays for my beer at the draft. More than enough compensation. :cheers:

I should add that I neither ask for this nor expect it. They just always do it because there is significant work that I do and they appreciate the fact.

I've been commish for five years. No compensation but we're all pretty generous with each other regardless. All good friends.

I am unfamiliar with this "significant work" that you speak of :D

Website does most of the work :cheers:

if you don't play with strangers because you don't have friends worth their salt and you win and you don't take your commissioner out for all he can drink than you aren't worth your salt... and can take all the commas i left out and stick them in your eye

When my league started in 1990... the guy that "commished" it was given 1/2 off on his fee. Just a bunch of guys in college so it was only $25. That tradition continued for awhile... until we got online. Now it's cusomary to "tip" the commish if he (me) finishes out of the money. The amount varies depending on how the year went... if we had any major issues or if the Champ also collected the prize for high points.

I've only finished out of the money about half the years since I took over, but I've gotten anywhere from $50-500 from the winner.

It's a nice little gesture considering how much work I do.

I also tip the commish if I win in any of the lower $$ leagues that I'm in... depending on the job he did.

That is total BS. I would actually quit the league or smack the guy for even attempting this. Seriously, I'd be insulted & p1ssed off.

I've been a Commish for 7 years and playing Fantasy Football for 15 years, I've never heard of a commish getting paid. In the early days before the internet, our commish kept $20 or so to cover printing & mailing expenses of the weekly newsletter & stats. I think we all bucked up extra for that too.

I am the commish because I want to make sure it's done right, not to make money.

if you don't play with strangers because you don't have friends worth their salt and you win and you don't take your commissioner out for all he can drink than you aren't worth your salt... and can take all the commas i left out and stick them in your eye

considering how much work I do.

hah, weak. Im commish and it's easy as pie, infact i thoroughly enjoy it, if i wasnt commish i would pay just to be commish. some people, ill tell ya hwut.

hah, weak. Im commish and it's easy as pie, infact i thoroughly enjoy it, if i wasnt commish i would pay just to be commish. some people, ill tell ya hwut.

:first:

Yeah... it's easy when you play in stupid Yahoo re-draft league with an on-line draft.

Fockin' kids.

:first:

Yeah... it's easy when you play in stupid Yahoo re-draft league with an on-line draft.

Fockin' kids.

not even close, on all accounts, but enjoy basking in the filth if ignorance old and wise one

not even close, on all accounts, but enjoy basking in the filth if ignorance old and wise one

Okay junior. By the way... if I KNOW how much work I do for my league every year... how is it ignorance?

Lemme ask you this:

How much time did you spend in August shopping around for 6 month CD's to park your league's money?

Okay junior. By the way... if I KNOW how much work I do for my league every year... how is it ignorance?

Lemme ask you this:

How much time did you spend in August shopping around for 6 month CD's to park your league's money?

about a day, maybe 2, not that hard really. :doublethumbsup:

why would I switch from Yahoo plus? Yahoo is the best fantasy football I've ever seen.

Why else do you think it's the #1 fantasy football website? -

Dude....this is the 2nd thread where I've seen you state that Yahoo is teh #1 FF website, are you focken kidding me. Maybe if you compare it to ESPN like you did in that other thread.

Listen rook, check around and you will find that several sites out there are far, far better than Yahoo.

The reason it may be the most popular is because:

A) It's Yahoo

:doublethumbsup: It's FREE

Other than that, nobody should use that if they are serious about FF.

www.fanball.com

www.myfantasyleague.com

CBS Sportsline to name a few are all far superior than YAHOO....and ESPN shouldn't even be mentioned when talking FF

I am a commish in a CBS league and do NOT get paid. That's BS, one should be the comissioner because they enjoy it. Sounds like a sore loser.

about a day, maybe 2, not that hard really. :doublethumbsup:

So... maybe 8 hours then? What is your time worth to you? At my billing rate... that's $640... and that's just ONE of the many things I do every season.

What kind of rate did you get?

I've been commish for five years. No compensation but we're all pretty generous with each other regardless. All good friends.

I am unfamiliar with this "significant work" that you speak of :D

Website does most of the work :thumbsup:

I didn't want to get into it but our rules require me to manually approve and process all WW trx and trades not to mention creating a custom schedule (if you ever did this, you'd understand that it is far from a 5 minute task). So, there really is a fair bit of stuff for me to do.

So... maybe 8 hours then? What is your time worth to you? At my billing rate... that's $640... and that's just ONE of the many things I do every season.

I got the "not feeling like a dou.chebag rate"

I checked around town, it was the best rate i could find! :thumbsup:

I got the "not feeling like a dou.chebag rate"

I checked around town, it was the best rate i could find! :thumbsup:

Uh huh.

Just because you're league doesn't require that much of your incredible talents... don't assume the rest of us are a bunch of schlubs like you.

Thanks for playing.

Uh huh.

Just because you're league doesn't require that much of your incredible talents... don't assume the rest of us are a bunch of schlubs like you.

Thanks for playing.

you're welcome, it was rather amusing. :thumbsup:

Interesting thoughts on the value of a commish. I am commissioner of two CBS leagues and in both leagues my initial entrance fee is covered. Originally it was one league and used a pen and paper system that required much of the commish. Waiver wire pick ups had to be telephoned and there was a lot more to keep track of then. All of this predates my becoming the commissioner and when the switch to CBS came the commish at that time offered to return his entrance fee to the pool. Unanimously, everyone in the league voted for him to keep it. As knowledge of our league grew among friends and associates it became neccessary to form a second league and the original owners of this second league also agreed to allocate funds to the commish' entrance fee. The commissioner voted against. Since then I have become commish for both leagues and after the first year of doing it also offered to return the entrance fee to the cash pool. Again, everyone in both leagues decided this should not change. Would I do it for free? Absolutely. I do appreciate that my entrance fee is covered and at times feel guilty for receiving it. When I finish in the money I allocate the entrance fee funds I receive back to our year end party. My thought on the original question in the thread is this... the league should vote on if and how much is allocated to their commissioner. It definitely should not come as a surprise at the end of the season. If someone chooses not to be the commish because they believe they should receive compensation then they can step down. If a replacement is found who is fine with no compensation then problem solved. I have to believe there will always be someone willing to do the job for free. In fact, last year I made the suggestion that the job of commish should rotate among the owners each year. Voted down at that time but I plan to bring it up again for next year. I suspect that once enough owners have had that role they will agree not to allocate funds to the commish and eventually we'll get that change made.

Rams, do you seriously put the prize pot in a 6 mth CD? Our pot is $2500 and at 4% interest that's $50. Not worth my time....... I just throw the cash in a drawer.

Yeah... the interest is our third place prize. We used to only pay out the Champ and total points. Then everybody cried... so the runner up got his money back. I started doing this 4 years ago as 3rd place prize. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down... he he he. However... my league is pretty expensive... I wouldn't do it for only 50 or 100 bucks.

My league is $1,000 plus $20 per transaction... plus $25 weekly penalty for lowest score. Everybody pays me $1250 at the auction... that goes into a CD for 6 months. You can get a better yield than 4% also...

3rd place prize this season is $640. I think I got 5.19% back in August. I do it through my business as it's easier to get around the IRS bullsh!t that way.

No I don't get paid but some leagues do pay their commish.

Especially those that run waivers, listen to people bitching, run the draft, etc

allways tip the commish if you win, and buy the league a round or something, I hate cheap fockers. But no the commish should not be getting paid.

I don't get squat, and I'm very underappreciated.

I actually had an owner ###### about money he owes me, and question $2 I charge everone that total $18.

Covers 3 cases of beer, my wife driving an hour to take the kids to sleep over her parents, developing speadsheets for our draftboard on my projector.

Then trashing my basement, raiding our pantry, hosgin a kicka$$ draft.

I need to find new friends.

Now it's cusomary to "tip" the commish if he (me) finishes out of the money. The amount varies depending on how the year went... if we had any major issues or if the Champ also collected the prize for high points.

I also tip the commish if I win in any of the lower $$ leagues that I'm in... depending on the job he did.

The way it should be! Last year I won about $665 for first place and tipped the commish $50. Would've been if he finished out of the money. This year, he's out of the money and I have a shot to win $185 for third. I'll probably throw another $50 at him if I win this weekend because he put up with alot of shite this year.

Dude you are an idiot...all you have to do is go to BankRate.com...it gives you all of the rates throughout the country. Takes 5 seconds...how much do you bill for that??

The way it should be! Last year I won about $665 for first place and tipped the commish $50. Would've been if he finished out of the money. This year, he's out of the money and I have a shot to win $185 for third. I'll probably throw another $50 at him if I win this weekend because he put up with alot of shite this year.

yea I never understood people that don't tip and it happens alot, hell if a person is playing pull tabs at the bar and pulls a $500 or $350 they tip the stranger 50 bucks just for pulling it out of the jar. Then I see guys win over a grand and they don't even buy the commish/friend a beer. They usually have to deal with some crap during the year dealing with 10+ people. I know it shouldn't be expected but its just common courtesy if you ask me, unless of course he does a sh!t job at it for some reason.

yea I never understood people that don't tip and it happens alot, hell if a person is playing pull tabs at the bar and pulls a $500 or $350 they tip the stranger 50 bucks just for pulling it out of the jar. Then I see guys win over a grand and they don't even buy the commish/friend a beer. They usually have to deal with some crap during the year dealing with 10+ people. I know it shouldn't be expected but its just common courtesy if you ask me, unless of course he does a sh!t job at it for some reason.

what i dont understand about the original poster is why isnt this discussed before hand. I develop a league budget and it is distributed at the draft. the budget accounts for every last penny that comes in. also discloses expenses and payouts. this way there are no arguements at the end of the year. like others have said, I am the commish because i want it done right.