Sign in to follow this  
teejay booker

Jamarcus Russell has a CANNON

How Brady Quinn can be rated above this guy boggles my mind. He just made a throw moving laterally (the TD that put LSU up 34-14) that some NFL QBs couldn't make. I'd pick Russell above Quinn without a hint of hesitation.

I would also rate Brohm above Quinn.

Brohm

Russel

Quinn

So of course my Raiders will take Quinn.....

he just threw the ball 50 yards while moving that was some incredible ######. i also just heard the commentators say he can throw the ball 40 yards will sitting on his ass. pretty fockin remarkable. this kids got great arm strength and a quick release

Brohm

Russel

Quinn

is russell even coming out? i haven't heard that he was.

his accuracy isn't too shabby, either.

Brohm

Russel

Quinn

I wouldn't put Brohm above Russell. Russell can flick the ball 75 yards if he wants to. He makes throws that nobody else in college FB can make.

his arm strength is ridiculous, but unfortunately that is not all that matters for NFL QBs...

Quinn's arm looks like a wet noodle compared to Russell though.

However, history of ND QBs v. LSU QBs plays in Quinn's favor in the NFL draft, much like the last name Manning helped Eli...

for whatever it means or doesn't mean, quinn sucks donkey balls tonight.

First time in a long while quinn has actually faced a good Defense.

Didn't see the game tonight but I have seen a few ND games this year. I kept looking for why Quinn gets the pub he does. I never saw anything special about him. :banana:

his arm strength is ridiculous, but unfortunately that is not all that matters for NFL QBs...

Quinn's arm looks like a wet noodle compared to Russell though.

However, history of ND QBs v. LSU QBs plays in Quinn's favor in the NFL draft, much like the last name Manning helped Eli...

Well, he also has proven that he has MANY other skills other than arm strength:

1) He's sufficiently accurate

2) He's mobile enough to create more time for his WRs

3) He makes great decisions

4) He knows how to lead his WRs on deep balls

5) He's gigantic

6) His release is INCREDIBLY quick.

And as I'm typing this, he throws an INT into double coverage.. go figure

5) He's gigantic

6) His release is INCREDIBLY quick.

And as I'm typing this, he throws an INT into double coverage.. go figure

As I said in the Quinn thread. I'd wait in the draft and take Kevin Kolb from Houston.

oh, i wasn't saying the kid doesn't have other skills by any means... more i was saying that recent LSU QB success hurts his status. Look at what Matt Mauck & Rohan Davey alone have done in the NFL (zip). And i'm trying to think of the last high-profile NFL QB that came from LSU. While Brady Quinn gets all sorts of media hype and love just cause he's from ND, and they've had some great NFL QBs throughout the years (as well as some busts too though)...

I think Russell will make a great backup QB to Jake Delhomme for a year here in CAR until he can take over the reigns completely... :banana:

Russell is head and shoulders above the rest of the QBs even being talked about in this year's draft.

His size gives him such an advantage when reading defenses, seeing blitzes, and just standing in the pocket.

His arm is incredible. I will say, though, that he needs to lose about 20 pounds and tighten up a bit (if he's gonna be a pocket passer in the NFL).

The Raiders would be foolish to pass this guy up.

he just threw the ball 50 yards while moving that was some incredible ######. i also just heard the commentators say he can throw the ball 40 yards will sitting on his ass. pretty fockin remarkable. this kids got great arm strength and a quick release

They said the same thing about Kyle Boller a couple years ago, so that doesn't say much.

I haven't seen much of Russel though, so maybe he is as great as you all are making him out to be.

They said the same thing about Kyle Boller a couple years ago, so that doesn't say much.

I haven't seen much of Russel though, so maybe he is as great as you all are making him out to be.

Russell absolutely SH1TS on Kyle Boller.

Russell has made as much improvement over the past two years as any college QB I have seen recently. Weis said within three years that Quinn would be a top 3 QB. I have yet to see him have a good game (or at least one that justifies the hype he receives) from Quinn. I agree with Booker and chemboy, Brohm and Russell are better prospects at this point than Quinn.

Let me tell you why Quinn is rated above the other QBs. You see, the world seemingly revolves around Bill Belichick. Weis succeeds with Ty Willingham's players and is suddenly a great coach-the guy won a Super Bowl or two with the Giants under Parcells. Mangini brings back a Jets team from a 4-win season and no one can figure out how a team with so little talent can win 10 games. What people forget is that the Jets were a 10 win team in 2004 and have only had one losing season in which Pennington played a fair part of the season. Pennington stays healthy and the Jets play a last place schedule and what do you know? They win 10 games. And it is very easy to forget that last season the Jets used four QBs last season and were ravaged with injuries. They have stayed healthy this season (especially on offense) and they made a couple shrewd picks with Ferguson and Mangold. Either way, because Weis tutored Tom Brady, it is naturally assumed that Weis can make any talented QB a 3-time SB champ. Quinn, while a good prospect, will not be a top-tier pro QB unless he is paired with a couple top-notch receiving threats. Has Quinn even had a good game against a top college opponent? I know he's a good decision-maker and accurate, but as Quinn had one good game against a top notch opponent lately?

Anyway, back to Russell. He is showing a great arm, the ability to move around in the pocket, and more accuracy than I thought he had. He's the best QB prospect I have seen that is likely going to be available in this year's draft.

I would love to see Russell in silver and black.

Tell you what, if the draft were today, I would say:

Raiders - Russell

Lions - Joe Thomas

Browns - Brady Quinn (not b/c he should go this high, but more b/c the Browns will feel obligated to take a QB)

Russell has made as much improvement over the past two years as any college QB I have seen recently. Weis said within three years that Quinn would be a top 3 QB. I have yet to see him have a good game (or at least one that justifies the hype he receives) from Quinn. I agree with Booker and chemboy, Brohm and Russell are better prospects at this point than Quinn.

Let me tell you why Quinn is rated above the other QBs. You see, the world seemingly revolves around Bill Belichick. Weis succeeds with Ty Willingham's players and is suddenly a great coach-the guy won a Super Bowl or two with the Giants under Parcells. Mangini brings back a Jets team from a 4-win season and no one can figure out how a team with so little talent can win 10 games. What people forget is that the Jets were a 10 win team in 2004 and have only had one losing season in which Pennington played a fair part of the season. Pennington stays healthy and the Jets play a last place schedule and what do you know? They win 10 games. And it is very easy to forget that last season the Jets used four QBs last season and were ravaged with injuries. They have stayed healthy this season (especially on offense) and they made a couple shrewd picks with Ferguson and Mangold. Either way, because Weis tutored Tom Brady, it is naturally assumed that Weis can make any talented QB a 3-time SB champ. Quinn, while a good prospect, will not be a top-tier pro QB unless he is paired with a couple top-notch receiving threats. Has Quinn even had a good game against a top college opponent? I know he's a good decision-maker and accurate, but as Quinn had one good game against a top notch opponent lately?

Anyway, back to Russell. He is showing a great arm, the ability to move around in the pocket, and more accuracy than I thought he had. He's the best QB prospect I have seen that is likely going to be available in this year's draft.

Tell you what, if the draft were today, I would say:

Raiders - Russell

Lions - Joe Thomas

Browns - Brady Quinn (not b/c he should go this high, but more b/c the Browns will feel obligated to take a QB)

the accuracy is the key that i saw tonight. the head stuff (reading defenses, going through progressions, etc) i don't know enough about yet concerning him.

In the NFL, armstrength is highly overrated.

Still tho, what a freaking cannon.

yep, just ask andre ware.

Physically, Russell is everything that you look for in a quarterback prospect. He has outstanding size for the position, and his arm strength (as many saw tonight) is unmatched. He also has very good accuracy.

The biggest knock on him that I've heard is immaturity and off-the-field issues (the scout making the comments wouldn't elaborate, other than to say that they were "not well known"). He's supposedly not a very hard worker (thus the weight issues) and not particularly bright. I know that many will point to Vince Young as a counter-case to the "not particularly bright" argument, but Vince works his butt off and has outstanding off-the-field leadership and attitude.

Also, Russell's decision-making against better defenses was sometimes questionable. He put his team in some early holes before later bailing them out.

With all of this taken into consideration, I can't imagine that there isn't at least one team in the top 15 that is going to fall in love with this kid's physical ability and draft him very high. There could easily be three top-10 QBs in this year's draft in Brohm, Russell and Quinn.

I also think that Quinn is overrated, but he's definitely a first-round prospect. He has the physical attributes and success at a top notch program. He appears to have good leadership ability, and he plays in an NFL-style offense. I don't think his supporting cast is as good as the hype either. I definitely have Brohm ahead of him, and I'm not sure about Russell and Troy Smith. I can't believe that Drew Stanton is considered a first-rounder in anyone's evaluation, but he is getting mention as a possible first round pick because of his physical ability.

For me, Troy Smith is the big wild card. He's very short for the position. It's impossible to ignore his production as a passer and his physical ability as an athlete. He has great arm strength, and he's very accurate. Athleticly, the comparisons to Vick are not a joke, but it's laughable to compare them as passers. Smith is a very good passer. If he were 3-4 inches taller, there's a good chance he'd be the #1 overall pick. The success of guys like Brees at 6'0 might have opened doors for guys like Smith, though. I'll be very interested to read more of what scouts have to say about him.

Last year Leinart was the #1 overall pick (if Bush didn't come out) and looked what happened there. Vince Young took his spot for one performance in the Championship game. Don't get me wrong, Vince deserved to be taken ahead of Matt and he had a great year, but the bowl game vaulted his status way up.

The same may happen now with Russell.

Yeh, you could also ask Brett Favre. :lol:

or Michael Vick - but half the people around here seem to think he suxors though... :banana:

Does anyone know anything about Russell's intelligence and personaility/character?

Quinn sure was sucky last last. Sucky like a fox.

He dudn't want be a Raider

How Brady Quinn can be rated above this guy boggles my mind. He just made a throw moving laterally (the TD that put LSU up 34-14) that some NFL QBs couldn't make. I'd pick Russell above Quinn without a hint of hesitation.

I wouldn't necessarily. A great thrower doesn't make a great QB. I'm still deciding on this one, but Randall Cunningham could make some throws that Joe Montana couldn't. Did that make him better?

I'm telling you, Kevin Kolb. Mark it down.

This year alone.

67.6 % completions

30 TD's vs 4 INTs

another 4 rushing TDs

3809 yards passing

This is the man to groom if you really want one. Mark it down.

I'm telling you, Kevin Kolb. Mark it down.

This year alone.

67.6 % completions

30 TD's vs 4 INTs

another 4 rushing TDs

3809 yards passing

This is the man to groom if you really want one. Mark it down.

Statistics begotten against teams like Grambling State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Tulane, and Memphis.

He played in one high profile game (against Miami) and was very average.

I'm not saying he sucks, and you could be right. I'm just saying those stats are meaningless against a bonk schedule, that's all. :thumbsdown:

Right now, the scouting news I've read has him as a second round pick. Not too shabby.

Statistics begotten against teams like Grambling State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Tulane, and Memphis.

I'm not saying he sucks, and you could be right. I'm just saying those stats are meaningless against a bonk schedule, that's all. :clap:

Right now, the scouting news I've read has him as a second round pick. Not too shabby.

Believe me, I know he didn't play top talent teams. But I watched him quite a bit. He's a winner.

My point being that if I needed a QB, I'd wait and take this guy in the late 1st to mid 2nd round (over the above mentioned QBs) and be very happy about it.

:thumbsdown:

Didn't see the game tonight but I have seen a few ND games this year. I kept looking for why Quinn gets the pub he does. I never saw anything special about him. :thumbsdown:

Ive doubted him for a while and last night only confirmed my doubts. Does not seem to have the zip on his passes.

As for Russell...his big knock is decision making at times. The INT in the endzone last night as a big example of that...as was another incomplete pass where he threw the deep ball into triple coverage. Its the reason that team was not playing for a Title...mistakes by Russell (check the Florida game for that).

I'm not saying he sucks, and you could be right. I'm just saying those stats are meaningless against a bonk schedule, that's all. :banana:

It's all relative. Notre Dame had a fairly easy schedule too, as Brady Quinn played against teams like Stanford, North Carolina, Army, Air Force, etc.

Kolb is a decent prospect.

Personally, I feel Colt Brennan of Hawaii is the best college football QB right now. He just had simply the best year a college QB has ever had. Many records broken. Repeatedly lit up legitimate defenses in non conference games and burned to the ground, raped, and pillaged in-conference defenses. Among the top vote getters in the Heisman race. And no one has ever heard of him.

But he still has years of eligibility left. He will not be entering the draft this year.

It's all relative. Notre Dame had a fairly easy schedule too, as Brady Quinn played against teams like Stanford, North Carolina, Army, Air Force, etc.

Kolb is a decent prospect.

Personally, I feel Colt Brennan of Hawaii is the best college football QB right now. He just had simply the best year a college QB has ever had. Many records broken. Repeatedly lit up legitimate defenses in non conference games and burned to the ground, raped, and pillaged in-conference defenses. Among the top vote getters in the Heisman race. And no one has ever heard of him.

But he still has years of eligibility left. He will not be entering the draft this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong. This is the guy from Hawaii that is like 24 and still has 1-2 years left of eligibilty?

I watched him tear it up in the bowl a week ago.

Russell was ruthless last night, and I agree that he is a better pro prospect by far than Quinn, there are some things you may want to think about before annointing this kid.

Where was all this #1 overall pick hype before this game? This game proves a lot, but he IS human.

Armstrength is overrrated in the NFL and everyone here knows it so we'll move on.

How will he adjust to the pro-style defenses coming at him?

I dunno, I think he'll succeed, but I think people's expectations are beginning to rise a little too fast. After all, he'll still be a rookie.....in Oakland.

Does anyone know anything about Russell's intelligence and personaility/character?

I'm a big time Tiger fan down here in LA. and as much as you guys are praising Jamarcus he has got an equal amount of bull$hit from fans who still think Matt Flynn needs to be the QB. Alot of those ignorant fans use that sterotype of thinking Jmarc is dumb or has charachter issues, WHICH IS UNTRUE. Russell has never had an issue off the field at LSU, the only real knock on him was the inability to control his weigh in the offseason, which I think was also mostly bull. I see him every offseason during the summer at the Manning Passing Academy and he has never seemed out of shape or over weight. He also put Peyton, Eli, C. Leak and D. Stanton to shame with his arm strength during the thrwoing exhibition they put on here every summer.

All this being said, HE'S GONE. I told all my friends 3 months ago that if the Raiders have the number 1 pick they will select Jamarcus Russell, I think I'm in pretty good shape with my 3 to 1 odds I bet with someone. :first:

The broadcasters said Russell can throw the ball 85 yards. I doubt that is true, deep range is often exaggerated with quarterbacks. If it's true, he'd have the best arm in the NFL right away, because the winners of the distance competition in the NFL QB Competition thingys usually throw about 73 yards.

The broadcasters said Russell can throw the ball 85 yards. I doubt that is true, deep range is often exaggerated with quarterbacks. If it's true, he'd have the best arm in the NFL right away, because the winners of the distance competition in the NFL QB Competition thingys usually throw about 73 yards.

They guy threw a 50+ yard pass on his backfoot. You got to see the replay on that pass.

They guy threw a 50+ yard pass on his backfoot. You got to see the replay of that pass.

I saw that. I've seen other QBs do it too. What I haven't seen is a guy throw the ball 85 yards.