Sign in to follow this  
teejay booker

Jamarcus Russell has a CANNON

Believe me, I know he didn't play top talent teams. But I watched him quite a bit. He's a winner.

My point being that if I needed a QB, I'd wait and take this guy in the late 1st to mid 2nd round (over the above mentioned QBs) and be very happy about it.

:pointstosky:

Oh, I completely agree. IMO, Russell is worth taking that high because he has tremendous upside. You can't teach size and armstrength. The bigger question with him is does he have the psychological makeup and mental aptitude to play QB in the NFL? I don't know much about him, but from what I saw last nite, he's got incredible physical skills.

Compared to last year's draft, this one is weak IMO.

Reminds me of McNabb/Culpepper without the scrambling

He reminds me alot of Culpepper, except he does have some touch on the ball. His arm strength, though, is unbelievable.

If he happens to go to Oakland, Davis better fix that offensive line.

Russell was ruthless last night, and I agree that he is a better pro prospect by far than Quinn, there are some things you may want to think about before annointing this kid.

Where was all this #1 overall pick hype before this game? This game proves a lot, but he IS human.

Armstrength is overrrated in the NFL and everyone here knows it so we'll move on.

How will he adjust to the pro-style defenses coming at him?

I dunno, I think he'll succeed, but I think people's expectations are beginning to rise a little too fast. After all, he'll still be a rookie.....in Oakland.

Armstrength as far as throwing a deep ball is overrated. But not the ability to throw a deep out or just use the flick of your wrist to get it downfield...

If he happens to go to Oakland, Davis better fix that offensive line.

:ninja:

If he trades for Vick, he better fix that OL. Flash Gordon could be back there and have more pressure on him than Rosie O'Donnell on top of her girlfriend.

arm strength is indeed overrated--in and of itself. but if you have that PLUS touch and accuracy, look out.

it certainly appeared to me that russell has the trifecta (arm strength+touch+accuracy) and (this is really impressive) he has all those things rolling out of the pocket and throwing on the run.

then again, maybe i saw him on his one hot game of the year. i don't know. i only know what i saw last night. others who have watched him consistently all season may be able to share more insights on these matters.

They guy threw a 50+ yard pass on his backfoot. You got to see the replay on that pass.

At the Manning Camp over the summer, I watched him drop 5 yards deep in the end zone and put it on the opposite 20-15. I AM NOT EXAGERATING! The second strongest arm of the bunch was Lester Ricard (Tulane) who was putting it out there around 70 yards. Eli, Peyton, Leak, Stanton, and Zwick were all hanging around 60-65. The announcer (Cooper Manning) during the exhibition was pumping Jamarcus up as the biggest quaterback on the planet with the strongest arm he had ever seen. This coming from the son of Archie and the borther of Peyton and Eli, who no doubt has seen his share of QB talent.

P.S. The mannings are some of the biggest male whores I have ever seen. They go stupid every year they come down here. :pointstosky: The bar tab is always open wherever they go!

Vick has a CANNON also. Look at what good his cannon does him. His instincts tell him to run, run, run.

Yeh, you could also ask Brett Favre. :(

the knock on brees coming out was arm strength.

some guy named montana didn't exactly have a cannon either.

At the Manning Camp over the summer, I watched him drop 5 yards deep in the end zone and put it on the opposite 20-15. I AM NOT EXAGERATING! The second strongest arm of the bunch was Lester Ricard (Tulane) who was putting it out there around 70 yards. Eli, Peyton, Leak, Stanton, and Zwick were all hanging around 60-65. The announcer (Cooper Manning) during the exhibition was pumping Jamarcus up as the biggest quaterback on the planet with the strongest arm he had ever seen. This coming from the son of Archie and the borther of Peyton and Eli, who no doubt has seen his share of QB talent.

P.S. The mannings are some of the biggest male whores I have ever seen. They go stupid every year they come down here. :wacko: The bar tab is always open wherever they go!

I have had the chance to take part in some of that Manning generosity in the past. Despite Eli's performance this year. I will always say the entire family is very classy. Those guys will talk to anybody and treat you like an equal. Just nice guys. Hats off to them.

russell certainly did light it up last night in a great demo for his prospects for the pros. he was firing short, intermediate, and long balls with authority and command. his release jumped out at everyone, and is what was most notable last night---very, very quick. his body is culpepper, but his game seems more pocket oriented, with some footwork to escape and create time for receivers to get open.

quinn is a mystery to me now. i wanted to really scout him last night, and had seen him on only 2-3 other occasions. the positives are that he is in a complex, nfl level offense, big time program versus big time competition, under an nfl-caliber coach/coordinator who can help him for his position at the next level. he had 2 college-stud wrs, a decent o-line, and decent hb. i dont question his leadership, but the aforementioned competition: he flunked every big game they had this yr. they got smoked by michigan, and he was beaten by usc as well. he didnt have his best games versus their 2 most important opponents---their whole season basically. his body of work also includes a loss versus ohio state last yr versus a tough defense.

i will have to wait on the individual performances/workouts as i did with leinart. i thought matt was a bumpkin last yr, until i saw his workout and demonstration of 40yd range with velocity. i think quinn has the tools and teaching to succedd in the nfl, but will need to fit into the right situation/offense/coaching.

If Russell declares, I don't see how he could fall from the top 15, really. As for Kolb, I have a feeling his stock is going to rise even higher after the combine, though I'm hoping Houston can nab him in the second round.

Vick has a CANNON also. Look at what good his cannon does him. His instincts tell him to run, run, run.

What's that got to do with Russell?

Russell's career stats:

797 pass attempts for 6625 yards and 52 TDs

139 rush attempts for 79 yards and 4 TDs

Vick's college stats:

360 pass attempts for 3504 yards and 22 TDs

262 rush attempts for 1318 yards and 18 TDs

I'll answer my own question: Vick's tendencies have nothing to do with Russell.

What's that got to do with Russell?

Russell's career stats:

797 pass attempts for 6625 yards and 52 TDs

139 rush attempts for 79 yards and 4 TDs

Vick's college stats:

360 pass attempts for 3504 yards and 22 TDs

262 rush attempts for 1318 yards and 18 TDs

I'll answer my own question: Vick's tendencies have nothing to do with Russell.

doesn't Jamarcus Russell have the highest passer rating in the SEC?

:lol:

did vick have the highest passer rating in the ACC?

You guys are JUST noticing this???? :first:

feels good doesn't it.... :banana:

and it will feel even better if he comes back next year....

Physically, Russell is everything that you look for in a quarterback prospect. He has outstanding size for the position, and his arm strength (as many saw tonight) is unmatched. He also has very good accuracy.

The biggest knock on him that I've heard is immaturity and off-the-field issues (the scout making the comments wouldn't elaborate, other than to say that they were "not well known"). He's supposedly not a very hard worker (thus the weight issues) and not particularly bright. I know that many will point to Vince Young as a counter-case to the "not particularly bright" argument, but Vince works his butt off and has outstanding off-the-field leadership and attitude.

Also, Russell's decision-making against better defenses was sometimes questionable. He put his team in some early holes before later bailing them out.

Ummm, you are WAY off base here dude and it's clear you have no clue what you are talking about. Off the field issues?? Such as? He's been a tremendous leader since the time he stepped on campus. The whole team rally around him, he's a natural leader. I don't know where you're getting this stuff from but it sounds like something someone just has to make up so he can have some sort of downside. Totally untrue about his intelligence as Jimbo Fisher has praised his intelligence. If you are bashing his "lack of intelligence" just because he's black, well that's just stupid.

doesn't Jamarcus Russell have the highest passer rating in the SEC?

:rolleyes:

did vick have the highest passer rating in the ACC?

Actually yes. In 2000, Vick had the highest passer rating in the country, I think. But with Vick that had everything to do with the fact that he basically just took the easy passes and ran whenever he was in doubt. Obviously that is not the case with Russell.

Ummm, you are WAY off base here dude and it's clear you have no clue what you are talking about. Off the field issues?? Such as? He's been a tremendous leader since the time he stepped on campus. The whole team rally around him, he's a natural leader. I don't know where you're getting this stuff from but it sounds like something someone just has to make up so he can have some sort of downside. Totally untrue about his intelligence as Jimbo Fisher has praised his intelligence. If you are bashing his "lack of intelligence" just because he's black, well that's just stupid.

I'm quoting what I heard. The scout was Chris Landry. He didn't elaborate on the off-the-field issue, and he said that it was not well known. Leadership does not equate to lack of off-the-field problems.

Find me a coach that comes out and says that his quarterback is "not too bright". Seriously. Again, I'm passing on what I heard. I don't see any reason to infer racial bias. It sounds to me like you might have Russell a little too far up on a pedestal. :sleep:

I'm quoting what I heard. The scout was Chris Landry. He didn't elaborate on the off-the-field issue, and he said that it was not well known. Leadership does not equate to lack of off-the-field problems.

Find me a coach that comes out and says that his quarterback is "not too bright". Seriously. Again, I'm passing on what I heard. I don't see any reason to infer racial bias. It sounds to me like you might have Russell a little too far up on a pedestal. :pointstosky:

Oh contraire sir. Go ahead and pass on what you heard, I'm telling you it's crap. For simply defending a player against an untrue smear campaign, I don't see how this is worshiping the guy. I for one think he's a tremendous athlete with all the physical tools. The only thing he needs to improve upon is his consistency. He'll be a good pro. BTW, he plays in a very complex, pro-style offense that Jimbo Fisher runs. It's not WVU where it's snap and hand off or run.

Kyle Boller could throw it 50 yards from his knees. He's turned into a great QB. :wacko:

Arm strength doesn't make a great NFL QB.

Kyle Boller could throw it 50 yards from his knees. He's turned into a great QB. :dunno:

Arm strength doesn't make a great NFL QB.

And Montana couldn't throw it 50 with a running start. A 60 yrd pass into triple coverage is a lot less valuable than a 7 yrd out completed. Get off the armstrenght argument, it almost shouldn't be a factor.

Very interesting thread as we all think we are capable of scouting football players to some degree. Which IMO is half the fun of playing FF.

I was very impressed with Russell the other night. Of course the arm strength was ridiculous but it was a lot of the other things that impressed me. His release is VERY fundamentally sound. High, quick, and finishes with a snap of the wrist. He seemed to be in complete control of LSU's offense which looked very "pro-style" to me. He looked comfortable with 3, 5, and 7 step drops as well as out of the shotgun and throwing on the move.

NFL QB success is hard to predict as evidenced by the number of busts and surprises over the years. I would say it is about 30% physical attributes, 30% ability to read D's and make good decisions, %20 attitude, leadership and intangibles, and 20% system and players around you. Obviously these are numbers that I pulled out of my azz but the point is that it is a combination of things that go into making a good QB and if you are deficient in one of these areas you better be unbelievably good in almost ALL the others.

People drool over physical specimens b/c that is one area that cant be coached or improved upon that much. Russell obviously has the physical skills to be a big time NFL QB. From the few games I have seen him play his decision making seems decent. Not great, not poor. I dont know much about his attitude, leadership, and intangibles but I havent seen any red flags at this point and I was pretty impressed with the game winning drive he led at Tennessee. At LSU he obviously benefits from a good system and top flight talent around him.

I think Russell will be very good at the next level provided that he maintains a good attitude and is willing to work. He has a great arm and is a legit 6'6. I am a HUGE advocate of the advantage of height for NFL QB success. Now more than ever. I still believe that this is Vick's #1 problem. People point to Brees but he is one exception and that just makes me respect his success that much more. Height allows the QB to see downfield, makes it easier to find passing lanes, and gives the QB much more comfort in standing in the pocket. IMO, Manning has an average NFL arm and overall physical attributes but what makes him great is the the fact that he is the best in the league at preparing and reading D's, he has a great attitude, he's in the perfect system for him, and he's 6'5. We all know about Brady's leadership and blah, blah. He's 6'4. I have been a huge fan of Vince Young's since a run I saw him make against Oklahoma as a freshman. I have gotten into plenty of arguments with people about over the last year about his prosepects as a pro. I maintain that the #1 reason that Young will be able to succeed in the NFL with his skill set is because he is 6'5 and he is a natural leader and winner.

As far as Quinn. I live in South Bend and have watched just about every ND game including in person twice. He has good size, makes good decisions, seems like a pro QB. But I dont know. I just dont see anyhing special about him. I cant remember any throws or moments where I was overly impressed by him. I think he will be a very average NFL Qb.

I havent wathced him closely enough but I have not been overly impressed with Brohm either. In the Orange Bowl he missed wide open guys on at least 3 occasions. I think Troy Smith is a great college Qb but I would still be concerned about his height. His ability to get out of the pocket makes up for that but I wouldnt take him in the 1st round. Kolb and Brennan I havent seen enough of to comment on but based based on what I have seen if I was an NFL Gm who needed a QB I would either take a gamble on the huge upside of Russell or wait until later and take a Kolb or a less touted QB later.

:dunno:

How did this guy fly under the radar? I believe Russell, Johnson, and Thomas are the clear top 3 talents in this years draft. AD, Alan Branch, and Troy Smith make up the next level.

How Brady Quinn can be rated above this guy boggles my mind.

Wait til the Wunderlic tests are taken. You'll see why.

Quinn: "E=MC2"

Russell: "I can count to potato!"

Russell has as many ? as Quinn, he is far from a sure thing. The team that takes him too high will probably regret it. See the Florida game, he looked like a CFL QB. Get him in the right system with a good QB coach/offensive cordinator, he could turn into a solid pro, if he goes to Oakland, see Akili Smith/CadeMcNown/etc....

Wait til the Wunderlic tests are taken. You'll see why.

Quinn: "E=MC2"

Russell: "I can count to potato!"

Is this a serious post? There are absolutely no signs that Quinn is smarter than Russell...unless I have missed something.

Is this a serious post? There are absolutely no signs that Quinn is smarter than Russell...unless I have missed something.

Thats a flat out racial steroetype! Go f*ck yourself ######! :lol: