Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

for or against the Cuban Embargo?

I was thking about it this weekend, then saw a story in the news this morning. It seems like that's one seriously failed policy. Seemsl ike engagement would bring about more change than anything else. The only real voice against lifting the embargo has been those axxhole cuban 'fugees in Miami. You know the ones - the first ones to biitch and protest about America - while loving the crap outta living here. Turns out, even their opinions are starting to sway. link

With Castro's health apparently failing, it seems like now's a good time to re-address that whole thing. Seems to me like the cubans seeing a bunch of rich, free Americans would make the call for reforms in Cuba's government a whole lot easier.

And, while we're at it, if Cuba does become a free(er) country, can we ship all those farging Cubans back and reclaim Miami?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Keep the embargo!!! If the US drops the embargo, the quality of Cuban Cigars will go to sheet and the price will triple!!!

i dont really care too much about smoking cubans, but castro just uses the embargo against us to rally his people. Kinda defeats the purpose, so might as well let our farmers have another place to sell their product.

I was actually thinking about the Cuban embargo the other day. I was riding the bus and as we went past the light rail station I saw a light rail car that had advertising on it to visit/vacation in Cuba. I thought that was kind of odd. I mean, I know that Cuba used to be a big vacation destination for the US (pre-revolution), but I thought that one of the reasons for the embargo was to hurt the Cuban resort industry. So, is it legal for US citizens to go to Cuba? I thought one had to enter Cuba via a 3th country (not directly from the US.) If that's the case, then how can NJ Transit accept advertising from Cuba's tourism board that encourages US citizens to break the law?

Politically correct people would say that I'm supposed to love living with foreigners, but as a 4th generation Floridian who's family has been here since the late 1800's, I don't. Florida's population has increased at a stagering rate and a lot of that is Spanish. Meanwhile, the quality of life is going down the tubes. Traffic congestion, over-crowded schools, crime increase, etc...

If Cuba ever became a common wealth like Puerto Rico, hundreds of thousands of Cubans would likely move here. And I don't blame the Cubans... if I were living in Cuba, I'd want to move my family here too. But as a Floridian, more people moving here doesn't sound very appealing.

But that's only if they ever become a common wealth. As for the embargo... ? I don't know what the implications are. I assume the reason we don't trade with them is because of "human rights violations", which sounds like a good reason. But it's interesting how we have no problems trading with countries like China and Saudi Arabia who are supposedly guilty of the same things.

I was actually thinking about the Cuban embargo the other day. I was riding the bus and as we went past the light rail station I saw a light rail car that had advertising on it to visit/vacation in Cuba. I thought that was kind of odd. I mean, I know that Cuba used to be a big vacation destination for the US (pre-revolution), but I thought that one of the reasons for the embargo was to hurt the Cuban resort industry. So, is it legal for US citizens to go to Cuba? I thought one had to enter Cuba via a 3th country (not directly from the US.) If that's the case, then how can NJ Transit accept advertising from Cuba's tourism board that encourages US citizens to break the law?

They can accept any advertising they want. It isn't illegal for them to do so. It is illegal as a U.S. citizen to travel to Cuba. Even through a third country.

It is also illegal to purchase any Cuban products. REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU GET THEM FROM.

People have this misconception that if you are out of the U.S., you are free to buy Cuban products..(cigars most notably). Nope. If you buy a cuban cigar in Mexico, for instance, you have just traded with the enemy and are subject to the penalties that carries.

They can accept any advertising they want. It isn't illegal for them to do so. It is illegal as a U.S. citizen to travel to Cuba. Even through a third country.

It is also illegal to purchase any Cuban products. REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU GET THEM FROM.

People have this misconception that if you are out of the U.S., you are free to buy Cuban products..(cigars most notably). Nope. If you buy a cuban cigar in Mexico, for instance, you have just traded with the enemy and are subject to the penalties that carries.

Actually, I think US citizens can get permission to travel to Cuba once every 3 years. I know that's true for many Cubans living in America who have to go back for funerals and such, and are currently forced to decide when to use the once every 3 years rule.

As for illeaglly purchasing Cuban products while abroad... I didn't know that, I'll assume you're right. But if that's true, what about the US citizens are legally allowed to travel to Cuba during that "once every 3 year rule"? They can't buy anything while they're in Cuba? I guess they'd get a special exception... ?

It just seems a little "off" to me that a publicly subsidized entity (like NJ Transit) could/would accept advertising that promotes illegal activity.

While I'm sure that they can accept any advertising that they want, I find it suprising that they would accept it. I mean, why not just plaster the side of the train w/an ad for hookers? :dunno:

It just seems a little "off" to me that a publicly subsidized entity (like NJ Transit) could/would accept advertising that promotes illegal activity.

While I'm sure that they can accept any advertising that they want, I find it suprising that they would accept it. I mean, why not just plaster the side of the train w/an ad for hookers? :dunno:

I would assume it's because NYC is a large international tourist draw and the ads might be directed to those that travel from outside the US who can legally travel to Cuba.

I would assume it's because NYC is a large international tourist draw and the ads might be directed to those that travel from outside the US who can legally travel to Cuba.

The ads are on the commuter light rail in NJ. These trains do not provide service into Manhattan.

Furthermore, that does not explain why a publicly subsidized agency can post advertisements for something that is illegal in this country. Again, to use to over-the-top example I gave about ads for hookers... There are many parts of the world where prostitution is legal. What kind of reaction do you think NJ Transit would get if the ads were from the Neatherland's tourism bureau and promoting visiting a hooker in its famed Red Light district?

The ads are on the commuter light rail in NJ. These trains do not provide service into Manhattan.

Furthermore, that does not explain why a publicly subsidized agency can post advertisements for something that is illegal in this country. Again, to use to over-the-top example I gave about ads for hookers... There are many parts of the world where prostitution is legal. What kind of reaction do you think NJ Transit would get if the ads were from the Neatherland's tourism bureau and promoting visiting a hooker in its famed Red Light district?

Dood..I don't know. That was my only suggestion----I can't answer why they took the ads, but I can tell you that travel to Cuba is illegal(except for certain examples cited earlier).

It's an archaic policy that the Washington sh!theads won't touch for fear of political backlash, kind of like the idea of a state income tax in Texor.

Sure, it's a great idea and would straighten out our wacky school funding system, but it's a political hot potato.

We trade all the time with bigger d!ckhead countries than Cuba.

:pointstosky:

We trade all the time with bigger d!ckhead countries than Cuba.

:pointstosky:

... like Canada. F'n Canadians. :huh: