Sign in to follow this  
santa*69

Buckeye Fans this just in from Senior Bowl

Espn reporting today that he has thrown several interceptions and his stock is sliding even further down the board.

:dunno: Believe the Hype.

Espn reporting today that he has thrown several interceptions and his stock is sliding even further down the board.

<_< Believe the Hype.

You are just now figuring that out?

The same thing has been said on previous Troy Smith threads. Here is one:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=261297

"Ask Jason White, Danny Wuerffle, Andre Ware, Gino Torretta, or Charlie Ward. Cuz he's gonna join that club."

Entries from Scott Wright's Senior Bowl Coverage:

Mon

At quarterback this is definitely one of the more talented groups we've seen in a while yet nobody really managed to stand out on the first day. Troy Smith probably looked the best, showcasing a strong arm and good accuracy.

Tues

At quarterback Ohio State's Troy Smith is clearly the cream of the crop and he tosses a nice ball and showed the ability make all the throws.
It's safe to say that Troy Smith of the North is the top quarterback in this game right now and it's really not even close.
so far the story of the week has been Troy Smith, who in my mind is clearly emerging as the #3 rated quarterback in this draft.

Wed

At quarterback Troy Smith of Ohio St. was solid once again

Thurs

As he has been all week Ohio State's Troy Smith was once again the top quarterback on the North roster, showcasing a great arm by throwing 20 yard ropes and also what appeared to be strong hands.

I'm not sure what ESPN was looking at, but I suspect you can't provide a link.

Entries from Scott Wright's Senior Bowl Coverage:

Mon

Tues

Wed

Thurs

I'm not sure what ESPN was looking at, but I suspect you can't provide a link.

I am sure this is one of the same Big 10 guys telling us all year how great Troy Smith is.

I saw it on cold pizza yesterday. But I saw all I needed to see against Florida a few weeks back.

Keep buying in Buckeye. Big 10 exposed.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/

NFL Draft Countdown

For one-stop shopping of NFL draft information, Scott Wright has one of the best independent free draft website. Nice layout, easy navigation, solid rankings, decent profiles, and Scott produces one of the better independent mocks every year. Also has a good blog.

I wonder where he went to school

Troy Smith is only at the Senior Bowl because he is horrible. Can't beat real competition.

Florida was not a pro team. He will be riding the pine and then selling insurance.

You have been thouroughly owned in this thread. Your responses get weaker each post. Keep going, it's getting more and more funny. :cry:

You have been thouroughly owned in this thread. Your responses get weaker each post. Keep going, it's getting more and more funny. :cry:

No kidding. I'm all for some good trash talking, but at least try to sound non-inbred.

Actually it turns out there may be some truth behind his post. He might be refering to comments made by a Bengals scout in this Philadelphia Daily News piece. In the same article though, Chris Mortenson seems to think that Smith is a pretty good prospect. Anyway, I'm willing to bet Troy has a pretty good game on Saturday. His biggest weakness is when he is forced to make quick decisions and since there is no blitzing in the Senior Bowl that shouldn't be a problem. The only QB I could possibly see moving ahead of him into #3 is Trent Edwards, but I doubt he gets enough attention to warrant it.

I am hearing the exact opposite myself-

QB Troy Smith, Ohio State (6-0, 222) Troy Smith is proving to be the best quarterback in the Senior Bowl. For four days now, he has looked like the best quarterback. He has a nice spiral with tight passes and is reluctant to scramble when things break down. Instead, he is known to check down his targets and dump the ball, but still isn't afraid to get some extra yardage with his legs. The common fan thinks Smith isn't worthy of spit after his BCS National Championship performance but you can't write him off just yet. He is playing with a chip on his shoulder and won't fall out of the 2nd round as of now. People have a knack to knock him for his height, but Drew Brees is only 6 feet tall. Smith's mechanics aren't as bad as previously though and by all accounts, he is drawing Drew Brees comparisons.

Chairman's article

guy is 5'10"

No chance to make an impact in the NFL.

Stick a fork in him.

Yeah, no doubt. This bonehead is talking all this trash... so where is Chris Leak gonna end up?

I think he'll be sitting next to Michael Bishop

guy is 5'10"

No chance to make an impact in the NFL.

Stick a fork in him.

At the senior bowl weigh-in he was 6'0", 222lbs.

Disinformation? Bengals are looking for a backup for Palmer, and if Smith slides it helps them. Regardless, McNeal would be a better option than Smith...either way, Smith's not that great but is anyone projecting him as anything more than a #2 QB in the NFL?

Unless you are Brain Dead, the best player in the draft is CJ from Tech.

Disinformation? Bengals are looking for a backup for Palmer, and if Smith slides it helps them. Regardless, McNeal would be a better option than Smith...either way, Smith's not that great but is anyone projecting him as anything more than a #2 QB in the NFL?

Unless you are Brain Dead, the best player in the draft is CJ from Tech.

I think discounting Peterson is a mistake.

North Team Practice Report - Thursday

Jan 25, 2007, 8:27 PM

http://www.ontheclockdraft.com/

Today the team practiced in helmets and shorts, so there wasn't alot of contact. The majority of the NFL team scouts left town this morning, but we are sticking around until the end. Here is what we were able to get from today's practice:

Tyler Palko - Fumbled on a playaction in 7-7 drills and fumbled a snap during the scrimmage. Ran the two minute drill well. Coach Gruden made a comment about him having problems with his elbow.

Drew Stanton - Coaches praised him on his playaction fakes. He had an ugly deepball that was underthrown early on in practice, but he threw a nice 40 yard pass later on during skeleton drills. He was accurate with his short to intermediate range passes.

Troy Smith - Fumbled a snap during 7-7 drills. Looked better in the scrimmage, but he took too many chances over the middle during redzone drills. He threw an interception over the middle today, having thrown one yesterday as well.

This is from Wednesday

Troy Smith - Wasn't very impressive today. He fumbled multiple snaps and threw an interception in the scrimmage.

I am sorry had to go make a buck. This is from on the Clock he also had two fumbles first day. I think from reading he has had 8 turnovers in 4 practices. Were talking practice.

Maybe you are reading the same Yankee press that told us all year that the Big 10 was by far the best going.

Maybe I am reading the truth. We will see he will get drafted if he is good he will make the field.

No blitz in senior bowl but still will be interesting but not not a true test.

Gruden has said some nice things about Smith but what is he going to say. He wouldn't tell us he sucks.

I am reading on the clock draft. But I love the responses that Championship game must really still sting. :lol:

I think discounting Peterson is a mistake.

I like both of those guys cj and peterson. I think CJ will go first.

:banana: Believe the Hype.

Not a OSU fan...

But nice link.... :lol:

bottom line is the guy is maybe a #2, most likely a #3 backup.

Short, weak arm, played on arguably the most stacked team in the nation skillposition-wise.

North Team Practice Report - Thursday

Jan 25, 2007, 8:27 PM yada yada

Seems like Smith's performance has received some pretty mixed reviews. Scott Wright liked him, as did Mike Mayock if you watched any of the NFL Network coverage. Tony Pauline wasn't impressed, and neither were Mel Kiper or Todd McShay. From everyone's analysis though it seemed to me like all the QBs there were unimpressive and Troy was the best of the bunch. From that and the fact that so many teams will probably be looking for QBs in the draft, I'm guessing he gets taken in the 2nd. No one expected him to compete with Russell or Quinn, but he's the legit #3 in the draft. Whether he will succeed in the NFL or not, who knows. Not many people do, regardless of how hyped or talented they are.

Oh, and yes my eyes were finally beginning to dry this morning, until I read your post. Thanks a lot.

Seems like Smith's performance has received some pretty mixed reviews. Scott Wright liked him, as did Mike Mayock if you watched any of the NFL Network coverage. Tony Pauline wasn't impressed, and neither were Mel Kiper or Todd McShay. From everyone's analysis though it seemed to me like all the QBs there were unimpressive and Troy was the best of the bunch. From that and the fact that so many teams will probably be looking for QBs in the draft, I'm guessing he gets taken in the 2nd. No one expected him to compete with Russell or Quinn, but he's the legit #3 in the draft. Whether he will succeed in the NFL or not, who knows. Not many people do, regardless of how hyped or talented they are.

Oh, and yes my eyes were finally beginning to dry this morning, until I read your post. Thanks a lot.

:thumbsup: :(

Your a champ. Okay I will leave Ohio St alone until Kirk Herbstreet starts pumping up the Big 10 again in like mid June.

PS I know how to spell his name Kurt Herbstreit...I think I just hate to give him any more pub

bottom line is the guy is maybe a #2, most likely a #3 backup.

Short, weak arm, played on arguably the most stacked team in the nation skillposition-wise.

weak arm?.....do you know what you are talking about?....or just talking?

Troy Smith is only at the Senior Bowl because he is horrible. Can't beat real competition.

This is the most thoughtful, intelligent, and insightful comment I have seen on this board.

This is the most thoughtful, intelligent, and insightful comment I have seen on this board.

Man if you are the best player in college football and a qb you don't play in these senior bowl games.

You have nothing to prove you can only get hurt and really crash your draft. I guess you don't understand that. I am sure you are just a Ohio St or Michigan fan. Get over the hype its over. Mr. insight. :P

Man if you are the best player in college football and a qb you don't play in these senior bowl games.

You have nothing to prove you can only get hurt and really crash your draft. I guess you don't understand that. I am sure you are just a Ohio St or Michigan fan. Get over the hype its over. Mr. insight. :headbanger:

You sir are an idiot!

Senior Bowl QBs

2005 Charlie Frye

2004 Phillip Rivers, Matt Schaub

2003 Carson Palmer, Chris Simms

2002 David Carr, Patrick Ramsey,, David Garrard

2000 Tim Rattay, Chad Pennington

none of these guys will succeed in the NFL

and Marino, Farve, Bradshaw, McNabb were coupla more losers who played in the Senior Bowl

You are owned!

:thumbsup:

whatever. he will get drafted and some team will be lucky to have him.

lets look back at how greta the 'pros' did.

kiper 2001

Quarterbacks

1. Michael Vick, Va. Tech

2. Drew Brees, Purdue

3. Chris Weinke, Florida St.

4. Mike McMahon, Rutgers

5. Jesse Palmer, Florida

Running Backs

1. Deuce McAllister, Miss.

2. Michael Bennett, Wisc.

3. LaDainian Tomlinson, TCU

4. Kevan Barlow, Pittsburgh

5. Anthony Thomas, Michigan

5. Correll Buckhalter, Nebraska

Wide Receivers

1. David Terrell, Michigan

2. Koren Robinson, N.C. State

3. Chad Johnson, Oregon State

4. Rod Gardner, Clemson

5. Santana Moss, Miami (Fla)

5. Reggie Wayne, Miami (Fla.)

his top 5 overall

mike vick

david terrell

koren robinson

deuce mcallister

gerrard warren

:doh: :cry: :huh:

Troy Smith is not an NFL QB. I could see him working out as a nice backup with (dare I say it) "Slash" skills.

I don't blame him for getting hosed by Florida. That was Tressel's worst coaching job, ever. He tried the same game plan that he used against Michigan. It surprised Michigan. Florida was ready for it (and Tressel should have scrapped the game plan when Ginn got hurt). The best play OSU ran the whole game was the option and Tressel only ran it twice.

Anyhoo, Smith is not big enough to be an NFL starter. The only QB I can think of with similar size is Garcia and Smith doesn't have nearly the accuracy or NFL brain that Garcia has.

He'll be a nice back-up that can be thrown into two-quarterback situations like Van Pelt and Seneca Wallace have.

He's definitely not an NFL starting QB and never will be.

You have nothing to prove you can only get hurt and really crash your draft. I guess you don't understand that. I am sure you are just a Ohio St or Michigan fan. Get over the hype its over. Mr. insight. :doublethumbsup:

You are an idiot.

HTH

Troy Smith is not an NFL QB. I could see him working out as a nice backup with (dare I say it) "Slash" skills.

I don't blame him for getting hosed by Florida. That was Tressel's worst coaching job, ever. He tried the same game plan that he used against Michigan. It surprised Michigan. Florida was ready for it (and Tressel should have scrapped the game plan when Ginn got hurt). The best play OSU ran the whole game was the option and Tressel only ran it twice.

Anyhoo, Smith is not big enough to be an NFL starter. The only QB I can think of with similar size is Garcia and Smith doesn't have nearly the accuracy or NFL brain that Garcia has.

He'll be a nice back-up that can be thrown into two-quarterback situations like Van Pelt and Seneca Wallace have.

Although I think Smith won't be that great in the Pros, he could be...Brees is about the same size, if not smaller I think 6 foot as Smith is but Smith is a rock...he goes about 220-225.....Im not saying Smith will be good but I doubt you can say already that he wont be good at all, i hate how peopl look at his size and the game vs the Gators and those only to determine how good he will be, not every QB has to be 6'4.....Experts are wrong all the time, people on this board act like they have broken down film and watched everyone of his college games and know exactly what they are talking about.....when 0% have.

I don't know how any of us can be so sure of this. I've been surprised so many times by guys coming out of college that I've lost count.

When it comes to what college player will or will not be a good pro, I've just learned to keep my mouth shut. Who really knows......

I don't know how any of us can be so sure of this. I've been surprised so many times by guys coming out of college that I've lost count.

When it comes to what college player will or will not be a good pro, I've just learned to keep my mouth shut. Who really knows......

He's too small.

Exactly. How big or tall a guy is does not determine their success in the NFL, their ability to play football does. A NFL QB's height is supposed to affect their ability to see the whole field, which honestly is sometimes a problem for Troy, but it doesn't seem to bother Drew Brees. Troy has improved in this department by leaps and bounds over the past couple seasons though, so he has a decent chance of fixing it in the NFL, although that doesn't mean he will. However, clearly several current NFL QBs have proven that Troy is plenty tall enough to play in the NFL. Prototypes are for barstool coaches and Al Davis. At the end of the day NFL coaches would rather have Doug Flutie playing QB than Ryan Leaf.

You have been thouroughly owned in this thread. Your responses get weaker each post. Keep going, it's getting more and more funny. :thumbsdown:

What do you expect from whiner*69

Check out his string of posts recently...usually to bash a player or whine about something...its all he has.

Then...like this...he is proven wrong...and will be in denial...or just disappear.

Exactly. How big or tall a guy is does not determine their success in the NFL, their ability to play football does. A NFL QB's height is supposed to affect their ability to see the whole field, which honestly is sometimes a problem for Troy, but it doesn't seem to bother Drew Brees. Troy has improved in this department by leaps and bounds over the past couple seasons though, so he has a decent chance of fixing it in the NFL, although that doesn't mean he will. However, clearly several current NFL QBs have proven that Troy is plenty tall enough to play in the NFL. Prototypes are for barstool coaches and Al Davis. At the end of the day NFL coaches would rather have Doug Flutie playing QB than Ryan Leaf.

Not that you'd have any bias toward an Ohio St player, right? :thumbsdown:

Yes, there are guys who aren't prototype size who have made it. But the size issue isn't always about talent, or heart, or anything the player brings to the table. Very often it's about getting the chance to show those attributes. And that's where Smith's size will work against him the most. You'd like to think it's all about being able to play football, but if you can't get on the field, that really doesn't matter.

Flutie's name has been tossed around, and he's a prime example. I'm not going to look up how many years he sat on an NFL bench or how many he had to play in Canada. But for all the success he had in his NFL appearances, each and every team couldn't wait to turn the ball over to a 6'4" guy. Remember Rob Johnson? You can talk about the NFL guys that might want Flutie now, but where were they when he was playing?

Brees got a chance only because the franchise, prototype QB-of-the-future thay drafted was a bust for the ages. Someone mentioned Smith & Sanders, but those guys were highly regarded (and drafted) players coming out of college. Did anyone think they'd be #1 and 3 all time? Probably very few, but their situation is nothing like Smith's.

From what I've seen, I don't think Smith is an NFL QB. His height isn't really part of the equation; I thought Brees could play coming out of college. IMO, he's a great college player, who doesn't have all the requisite skills needed for the NFL. Size and arm strength between he and Brees are comparable. Smith is probably faster in a straight line, but I don't see the pocket presence and elusiveness behind the line that Brees displayed. Brees obviously read defenses better at the same stahe in their careers, and played in an offense where he threw 30 times a game.

The biggest factor? In every college game I saw Brees play, I always felt he could bring his team back, often making plays where there was no play to be made. He had no upper echelon talent on defense, or at RB or WR (I know, the one little guy whose name I can't remember was pretty good). Smith has been surrounded by blue chips and, in the biggest game of his career, when times got tough, he couldn't muster a big time performance. To me, that's one way to spot the NFL players from the college ranks.

:pointstosky: Believe the Hype.

Since you were so right about Reggie Bush being a bust I have no choice but to believe everything you say about any incoming rookies. :D