Sign in to follow this  
jdon

ronnie browns future

I've been argueing ith a coworker about ronnie brown's future. I think he should be good for 12-1400 rushing, 300-500 recieving and 10-14 touchdowns a year for the next 5-7 years. Which is at least 210 points a year for my leagues scoring (pretty standard). My buddy says that Brown is a bust and won't be in the league in two years....

in our arguement I stated that brown had a least the value of portis in our dynasty league. Maybe a little brazen, but certainly not out of line. Well, he went apemillen and started screaming that I am crazy. So, what do you guys think about ronnie brown going forward.

jdon

He plays the Jets twice a year so you can only assume that about 36 of his total yards come from those two games combined. Just my 2 cents.

I've been argueing ith a coworker about ronnie brown's future. I think he should be good for 12-1400 rushing, 300-500 recieving and 10-14 touchdowns a year for the next 5-7 years. Which is at least 210 points a year for my leagues scoring (pretty standard). My buddy says that Brown is a bust and won't be in the league in two years....

in our arguement I stated that brown had a least the value of portis in our dynasty league. Maybe a little brazen, but certainly not out of line. Well, he went apemillen and started screaming that I am crazy. So, what do you guys think about ronnie brown going forward.

jdon

Unfortuanely I bought into the Dolphin hype and drafted both Brown and Chambers. Thus, I watched a lot of Dolphin games. Brown is a STUD. The Dolphin O problems were QB and coaching related. Mike Mularkey was clueless as an O coordinator and Saban must have been just as clueless for letting Mularkey call the garbage he called. While I don't think Borwn will ever be in LT's class, watch Cam Cameron make Brown a fantasy stud for years to come.

jdon

What exactly are you basing these rather optimistic projections on? He barely cracked the 1000 yard barrier for the first time this year, hasn't gone over 300 yards receiving yet, and doesn't even have 10 TDs in his CAREER, much less one season. Miami hasn't bolstered their offensive line in the off-season (that I know of) and still has Joey Harrington as a QB (or Culpepper). I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting those kinds of numbers consistently for the next 5-7 years. :lol:

What exactly are you basing these rather optimistic projections on? He barely cracked the 1000 yard barrier for the first time this year, hasn't gone over 300 yards receiving yet, and doesn't even have 10 TDs in his CAREER, much less one season. Miami hasn't bolstered their offensive line in the off-season (that I know of) and still has Joey Harrington as a QB (or Culpepper). I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting those kinds of numbers consistently for the next 5-7 years. :banana:

he had 276 recieving this year in 12 starts, he had 200 something last year when he was sharing time in the backfield... as for TDs he has 5 each year and hasn't ever carried the ball even close to 300 times. with a new coach and some more time in the league I think he becomes a steady 320 carries a year kind of guy: which equals at least 1200 yards if he can get next to 4 yards a carry... I don't think my low end projections are all that crazy and I think the high end projections speak to the opportunity of the line getting better (it can't get much worse) and a new QB coming in (again, it can't get much worse).

jdon

he had 276 recieving this year in 12 starts, he had 200 something last year when he was sharing time in the backfield... as for TDs he has 5 each year and hasn't ever carried the ball even close to 300 times. with a new coach and some more time in the league I think he becomes a steady 320 carries a year kind of guy: which equals at least 1200 yards if he can get next to 4 yards a carry... I don't think my low end projections are all that crazy and I think the high end projections speak to the opportunity of the line getting better (it can't get much worse) and a new QB coming in (again, it can't get much worse).

jdon

Fair enough. I guess I was speaking more to the high end projections - your low end ones would just be my high end ones, that's all. My guess is that it takes Cameron more than a year to improve the offensive line.

Brown has a lot of talent. That's easy to see. As far as actual production there's a few things to consider:

*He has not proven he can handle a full 16 game workload. He shared carries in college and his rookie year. He was hurt last year. Not saying he can't do it but there's nothing to back up that he can do it as well.

*The Dolphins are a mess and it could get worse before it gets better. They have key players on D getting older, a very iffy QB situation and an O line that's nothing more than ordinary. On paper this is not a recipe for fantasy success.

*They have a new coach. Since he's a former OC this could be good news. Yet, since his only head coaching experience involved losing a lot of Big 10 games at Indiana it's still an unknown.

Brown is a real tough guy to get a handle on as far as projecting numbers. There's a lot of factors to consider with him. Some he can control and others he can't. I don't see how Miami can solve all their issues in one offseason so their has to be a little blind faith in his overall talent and durability if you're going to select him early next year.

To make a declarative statement like that without any consideration to the offense, or division they play in is assinine.

The dolphins can't run the ball. They play NE, Buf, NYJ, all three have strong run defenses. Their O-line is garbage.

He is a solid back, but Ricky Williams will also have a chance to platoon next year.

He may have a good season, but is no lock to rush for a grand and 8 scores, much less 1500 and 14

To make a declarative statement like that without any consideration to the offense, or division they play in is assinine.

The dolphins can't run the ball. They play NE, Buf, NYJ, all three have strong run defenses. Their O-line is garbage.

He is a solid back, but Ricky Williams will also have a chance to platoon next year.

He may have a good season, but is no lock to rush for a grand and 8 scores, much less 1500 and 14

I guess you didn't watch Ronnie Brown run it right down the Jets throats in week 17.

I guess you didn't watch Ronnie Brown run it right down the Jets throats in week 17.

Actually, no. I was long out of the FF race at that point after drafting Ronnie #1 in two different leagues. Im a pats homer, I got to see plenty of that offense.

After the 10th 15 carries for 32 yards performance, I got numb.

The Jets run defense is really bad. Until they get a big NT, and a better compliment to Ellis(maybe by shifting Robertson over to DE??) in the 3-4, it will continue to be bad.

I would really keep up with Ricky Williams before betting on Brown. If Brown is the only back, then the #'s should be very nice. If Ricky ends up back with the Fins, I would see the torture of a Benson/Jones or BarberIII/Jones type of combo - a fantasy football mess. Stay tuned.

Actually, no. I was long out of the FF race at that point after drafting Ronnie #1 in two different leagues. Im a pats homer, I got to see plenty of that offense.

After the 10th 15 carries for 32 yards performance, I got numb.

To lay the blame all at RB's feet is not accurate. He had terrible QB play, terrible play calling form Mularkey, and not the best OLINE. Cam Cameron will fix it. Borwn will be a stud.

OBTW I drafted Ronnie # 1 as well and took 2nd place and nice little $600.00 payout.

Not sure why the Dolphins would want Ricky back. He's more of a headache than he's worth. He was very unimpressive against "inferior" talent in the CFL, and he's another year older. Why bring this on yourself if you're starting out fresh with a new coach and new attitude? Surely he could be traded away for a draft pick.

If the Dolphins have any brains, they'll move him for whatever they can get and save themselves the embarassment of his next failed drug test.

I think Ronnie Brown will be a stud, but not until they fix that O-line and get a co-ordinator who realizes that the best weapon you have is NOT Joey Harrington.

And as I you can see from my sig, I paid top-dollar for Ronnie in my dynasty league and still managed to take the title. Before he got injured, he was a top 5 RB in our PPR league.

To lay the blame all at RB's feet is not accurate. He had terrible QB play, terrible play calling form Mularkey, and not the best OLINE. Cam Cameron will fix it. Borwn will be a stud.

OBTW I drafted Ronnie # 1 as well and took 2nd place and nice little $600.00 payout.

You think a team that hasn't been able to run the ball since before the Marino-Era is just going to suddenly fix everything?

And thats wonderful you won your league. You either play with idiots or caught some lucky breaks down the line in your draft/FA....

Best team doesn't always win in FF or NFL.

And thats wonderful you won your league. You either play with idiots or caught some lucky breaks down the line in your draft/FA....

or maybe you just can't draft worth a shite :clap:

Future might not be as bright with the return of Williams. Top 10 rb, but not top 5.

I'd pencil him in as my #2 RB at best, until he proves otherwise. I think he may have the skills to be a #1 RB in FF, but that doesn't mean he'll perform as a #1 as long as his situation is what it is.

w/ Ricky coming back, he's guaranteed to lose some carries.

w/ that offense, he's guaranteed to get focused on by opposing D's until they prove they can throw the ball effectively.

w/ a new coach, you don't know what you'll get. so i'd rather wait and see.

i wouldn't even think of drafting him Rd1, and probably would let him slide until the end of Rd2 at best this upcoming year just due to the facts above.

There are at least 15 RBs that i would take ahead of him (in no particular order):

LT,

SA,

LJ,

SJax,

Westy,

Rudi,

Gore,

Parker,

CTaylor,

KJ (if healthy for week1),

Edge,

McGahee,

Caddy,

McCallister AND Bush,

and i'm not a guy that's big on 2nd year RB hype - so i left Addai, Maroney, and MJD off the list (but i couldn't leave out Reggie).

Why in the world would Miami bring Williams back. How many times do they need to get burnt by him before they realize they're wasting their time on someone they can't rely on. Time to move on and leave his bongish antics to another organization.

Why in the world would Miami bring Williams back. How many times do they need to get burnt by him before they realize they're wasting their time on someone they can't rely on. Time to move on and leave his bongish antics to another organization.

A. He plays for the league minimum

B. He owes them money and at least with him playing they can collect

C. He is flat out better than Brown and when he is focused Ricky is a to 10 RB - or at least he loked alot better 2 years ago :mad:

A. He plays for the league minimum

B. He owes them money and at least with him playing they can collect

C. He is flat out better than Brown and when he is focused Ricky is a to 10 RB - or at least he loked alot better 2 years ago :D

Check his stats last year playing for the Argos. This isn't the same Ricky who had that one great season with Miami. He is no where near as good as Brown.

jdon

I think you're pretty much on target there jdon... maybe your rushing expectations are a LITTLE high, but as a whole I say you're pretty much on point..... His first two seasons remind me of Steven Jackson's....

Brown's first season he started a few more game's than SJax but he out produced him as well and they both platooned as rookies.... Brown w/Weed Man, and SJax with Marshall Faulk

Brown - 207 carries for 907 yards and 4 TD's - 32 receps for 232 yards and a TD

SJax - 134 carries for 673 yards and 4 TD's - 19 receps for 189 yards

In his 2nd year the stats and situations are also very similar if you factor in Brown missed 4 games and they both had their first "feature back" role in the pros

Brown - 241 carries for 1008 yards and 5 Td's - 33 receps for 276 yards

SJax - 254 carries for 1046 yards and 8 Td's - 43 receps for 320 yards

Now I'm not saying Brown is on the bubble for the type of year SJax had in his 3rd season which was roughly 2300 all purpose and 16 Td's, but Ronnie will be a very good RB in this league for the future... I could see him going for about 1,250 -1,300 yards rushing, 10 Td's... 50 receps for 450..... Cam Cam will utilize his talents no doubt.... For your co-worker to say what he said was ignorant.... he won't be in the league 2 years ? thats just a dumb statement :mad: Kick um in the yam bag next time you see him for me :mad:

or maybe you just can't draft worth a shite :ninja:

Clearly you are a moron. you brag about playing in some league with a bunch of idiots who ride the short bus.

The far and away strongest and deepest team i've probably seen in the history of our FF league didn't win the championship. The had a collective off week in the playoffs and out they go.

You give yourself way too much credit.

Like a guy who wins the lottery and declares it a good business decision to purchase lotto tickets for 20 years.

You think a team that hasn't been able to run the ball since before the Marino-Era is just going to suddenly fix everything?

Ok. like the pats were able to throw the ball before the the Brady ERA. So you are saying bringing in a great player at a possition will not help a team because in the past they were not able to be sucessful with the crap that they had (jabr ciecil...lol..among the other crap they had)...oh and ricky didnt run the ball well there eithier....come on get a clue.

Ok. like the pats were able to throw the ball before the the Brady ERA. So you are saying bringing in a great player at a possition will not help a team because in the past they were not able to be sucessful with the crap that they had (jabr ciecil...lol..among the other crap they had)...oh and ricky didnt run the ball well there eithier....come on get a clue.

Before you start telling someone that Ricky didn't run the ball well either and to "get a clue", you'd better go have a look at Williams stats while in Miami.

Go look at arizona if you think that skill positions alone will produce big numbers.

Clown.

They have a terrible line, can't block, RB's are a dime a dozen. go look at denver.

I remember the Pats putting up very respectable passing numbers before the Brady era

Before you start telling someone that Ricky didn't run the ball well either and to "get a clue", you'd better go have a look at Williams stats while in Miami.

i was mocking his false statment. duhhhhhh

2002 Miami Dolphins 16 16 383 1853 4.8 63 16 7 89

2003 Miami Dolphins 16 16 392 1372 3.5 45 9 6 68

It was obvious that you were mocking. Foghorn isn't the sharpest pencil in the box...

Clearly you are a moron. you brag about playing in some league with a bunch of idiots who ride the short bus.

The far and away strongest and deepest team i've probably seen in the history of our FF league didn't win the championship. The had a collective off week in the playoffs and out they go.

You give yourself way too much credit.

Like a guy who wins the lottery and declares it a good business decision to purchase lotto tickets for 20 years.

Clearly you drafted RB and then shite the bed with the rest of your draft...oh and BTW you are ust like every other loser who chokes the fantasy season away and then blames it on the players you drafted. Anyone else who had success either plays in crap leagues or simply "got lucky" with other picks. :doublethumbsup: the fact is your draft sucked and that is no one's fault but your own...loser

Go look at arizona if you think that skill positions alone will produce big numbers.

Clown.

They have a terrible line, can't block, RB's are a dime a dozen. go look at denver.

A terrible line? do you realize how young thier line is...how they only have 2 starters that have played together in the last 2 yrs.......the fact that they have on of the best o-line coaches in football.

im sure you realize it takes a couple of years for a line to gel. they have some talent at the position and now the have a couple yrs under thier belt together.

You're right - I wasn't paying attention to what was said.

My bad. :doublethumbsup:

It was obvious that you were mocking. Foghorn isn't the sharpest pencil in the box...

Clearly you drafted RB and then shite the bed with the rest of your draft...oh and BTW you are ust like every other loser who chokes the fantasy season away and then blames it on the players you drafted. Anyone else who had success either plays in crap leagues or simply "got lucky" with other picks. :dunno: the fact is your draft sucked and that is no one's fault but your own...loser

You are a focking tool.

A terrible line? do you realize how young thier line is...how they only have 2 starters that have played together in the last 2 yrs.......the fact that they have on of the best o-line coaches in football.

im sure you realize it takes a couple of years for a line to gel. they have some talent at the position and now the have a couple yrs under thier belt together.

Ricky had one good year, the second year he averaged 3.5 a carry. Kareem abdul jabar had a good year. Hell that RB that worked for the UPS had a good year once. Its called an anomoly.

So much discussion for a guy who doesn't deserve it, he is a average back.. Nothing special.. 1300 and 9 are high end projections for him.. We have 2 years of history to work with on this guy..

Ricky even at 29 is way better than Ronnie Brown. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricky taking a majority of the carries.

I think Brown's value is going to take a big hit.

Ricky even at 29 is way better than Ronnie Brown. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricky taking a majority of the carries.

:wub: you people are nuts

I have a chance to r,brown for the 1st pick in rookie draft,, think I should it?

All depends on where Peterson ends up and what you think of him. Outside of that I really don't see how this deal makes sense.

First of all, it never pays to argue with knuckleheads. I gotta believe anyone claiming Brown is a bust at this point is undoubtedly a knucklehead. Either that or just having fun making up stupid arguments to see how far the other person will go. I can see no reason looking forward to think the numbers forecasted by jdon are unreasonable. Considering it's a prediction made before free agent signings, the draft, etc. have occured a lot can change so I don't think it's unrealistic to look at it through somewhat rose colored glasses. A few in this thread are assuming Williams is coming back and that if he does he will still be as capable as in previous years. I'd say that's going out on a limb. Not sure what the Pats fan is basing his opinion that the Dolphins haven't had any running game for years on. I generally use stats but that's just me. As for Ronnie Brown... I can't help but wonder how many backs have been as successful as he was this year when their starting QB(s) averaged only ten yards per completion to go along with a completion % under sixty per cent. Certainly there have been a few, Jamaal Lewis and Tomlinson come to mind although I haven't checked the stats to make sure, but the point is that to have averaged over four yards per carry on a team with an inept passing game and the calibre of offensive line that Miami has is not common in the NFL. Miami's got a lot of work to do in improving their offense and if Cameron is succesful in doing this I think there will be a couple seasons that Brown puts up more than 1400 / 14. From what I've seen, there's no doubt Brown has the talent and plays hard enough to be among the leagues top backs if he's healthy, he gets adequate blocking and opponents have some amount of respect for Miami's passing game. Probably too many "ifs" for a dramatic improvement next year, especially on the TD totals, but not so crazy to rule out any likelihood that Brown can average between 75 and 90 yards rushing along with averaging a TD every other game to just less than one per game most years over the next five to seven. His health is my biggest concern.

Well said, Sharkie, and I agree.

With their new coach, and some O-line improvements, along with a healthy & coached Culpepper, Ronnie Brown can and should be a top 10 RB for many years.