Sign in to follow this  
gocolts

I need some help with a new game

I keep getting this message when I try to install it.

"Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

This is the second copy I'have tried. Both give me the same message. I went through 20 pages of forums on the official Command and Conquer site and tried everything in there with nothing solving my problem. Both DVD-ROM's give me the same thing. THey are both CD-R's too, if that matters. I really want to play this game but can't even get it started.

Can anyone help a fellow Geek out????

I do not even no where to go from here.

A lead in the right direction would be most helpful.

I keep getting this message when I try to install it.

"Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

This is the second copy I'have tried. Both give me the same message. I went through 20 pages of forums on the official Command and Conquer site and tried everything in there with nothing solving my problem. Both DVD-ROM's give me the same thing. THey are both CD-R's too, if that matters. I really want to play this game but can't even get it started.

Can anyone help a fellow Geek out????

I do not even no where to go from here.

A lead in the right direction would be most helpful.

Does your CD-ROM drive read other disks? Could be a sign your drive need replacing.

Does your CD-ROM drive read other disks? Could be a sign your drive need replacing.

It reads everything else just fine. I actually have two different drives and both play the others fine and niether will even read the disk.

Both of my drives read dual layer disks as well. I have been playing Hulk since then it works fine on both drives. I have Windows XP PRO as an operating system. My system has more than enough to run the game.

I have 768 mb of ram

AMD athon 2100+ that runs at about 1.74GHz

One drive is external, one is internal.

:thumbsdown:

Could be some kind of copy protection? :dunno:

Is that something I can turn off on my drives

have someone else try them and make sure they are good copies. if they are then the next thing to evaluate is your drive age and firmware

Is that something I can turn off on my drives

no. If it's copy protected, it means that you can't bootleg the CD by burning your pal's - it used to work like this: if a disk was 647 MB, the initial sector would read that it was smaller or larger than the actual, which focks up the burn process because the tracks are all out of whack.

At least that's what I vaguely recall reading once. :wacko:

no. If it's copy protected, it means that you can't bootleg the CD by burning your pal's - it used to work like this: if a disk was 647 MB, the initial sector would read that it was smaller or larger than the actual, which focks up the burn process because the tracks are all out of whack.

Can he beat it with a Sharpie?

Well I am not using a bootleg (this time).

I bought it brand new at the store. Then I took the first copy back and told them it didn't work. They gave me my second copy. Still, same message everytime.

:dunno:

Have you tried restarting your computer or blaming Clinton?

have someone else try them and make sure they are good copies. if they are then the next thing to evaluate is your drive age and firmware

I'm using a new external drive and the internal drive both. Both play everything else fine. :dunno:

Have you tried restarting your computer or blaming Clinton?

I have not thought of blaming Clit-on yet :wacko:

How old is your computer? Just because it says you have enough RAM, you may need other requirements. Take a good luck at the requirements on the box for the game. Is it possible you don't have enough gaming capapbility on your computer? Is there an updated game card on your computer? I'm guessing there is something you need in your hardrive that you don't have. Mhz, ram, other memory, game card, etc. What Windows version do you have?

How old is your computer? Just because it says you have enough RAM, you may need other requirements. Take a good luck at the requirements on the box for the game. Is it possible you don't have enough gaming capapbility on your computer? Is there an updated game card on your computer? I'm guessing there is something you need in your hardrive that you don't have. Mhz, ram, other memory, game card, etc. What Windows version do you have?

I meet the requirements. Plenty of memory, 768mb. 1.74 GHz . I have a decent video card, 128DDR Radeon 9000 pro. Windows XP pro.

:blink:

Have someone try the disc in their PC. If it works fine (and I'm going to assume so), then you probably have a controller issue.

You said you have 2 CD device drives, right? DVD and a CD rom drive?

If so, disconnect which ever was the 2nd device installed...if you don't know...assume the DVD.

Unplug the data cable and the power and retry.

Or try cleaning the lens on the CD drive with a clean, lint free cloth, NO CLEANERS...NO FINGER PRINTS.

Are you sticking a DVD into a drive that doesn't read DVD's? :lol:

Are you sticking a DVD into a drive that doesn't read DVD's? :thumbsdown:

Nope. It is a DVD ROM.

Have someone try the disc in their PC. If it works fine (and I'm going to assume so), then you probably have a controller issue.

You said you have 2 CD device drives, right? DVD and a CD rom drive?

If so, disconnect which ever was the 2nd device installed...if you don't know...assume the DVD.

Unplug the data cable and the power and retry.

Or try cleaning the lens on the CD drive with a clean, lint free cloth, NO CLEANERS...NO FINGER PRINTS.

They are both DVD-ROMs

I just hooked up the external DVD-ROM when I couldn't get the game to work on the internal DVD-ROM.

I'm not real sure how to clean the lens on the DVD-ROM. :)

most of the P.C. games that I buy have a technical support number or website. I used it when I had issues with Battlefield 1942.

The number is probably in the ( :thumbsdown: shh..) instructions.

most of the P.C. games that I buy have a technical support number or website. I used it when I had issues with Battlefield 1942.

The number is probably in the ( :thumbsdown: shh..) instructions.

I have been looking for it there. Maybe I missed it. I'll look again.