Sign in to follow this  
jeffkomlo

Brady Quinn = Fraud

Interesting. I do remember hearing earlier in the year that Weis talked about Quinn being a top 3 QB in the NFL in three years. I highly doubt that. I do think top 15 is a possibility, maybe even top 10. A lot depends on where he goes and his supporting cast. But one does have to weigh the number of times he was unable to come up big against the "big boys". Superior talent or not, he did have two first-day picks at WR catching balls for him.

I know-at this point-I would rather wait a round and draft Drew Stanton than I would Quinn. Cheaper and less risk for about the same amount of talent.

The QBs this year are nowhere close to the top QBs from last year's draft class. I love Russell's potential but he came out too early to do anything soon. My favorite QB I've graded from the past two seasons was Brian Brohm, but as you know, he's sticking around.

Name to remember...John Beck

I think it's a wait it out scenario as it is with most QB's at the next level.... I mean David Carr and Tim Couch were "can't miss sure fire studs with all the tools to succeed in the NFL" according to the scouts while guys like Matt Hasselbeck and Tom Brady were labeled as suitable back-ups at the Pro-Level .... You just can't measure heart, swagger, grit and the will to win succeed until you see how a player matures in the roll

You just can't measure heart, swagger, grit and the will to win succeed until you see how a player matures in the roll

No you can't measure it, but you can observe it and recognize it. The players you mentioned that succeeded had it for many to observe while in college. But they also developed better techniques while in the pros.

Obviously, I am not an NFL scout nor do I claim to be. However, I have watched a ton of football, both college and pro, in my lifetime. Because of this sometimes you look at a player and you say wow that guy has it or wow that guy is missing something. While I have not watched every single Brady Quinn game, the times that I have seen him play I kept looking for that something special that a lot of people claim he has. But my untrained eye never saw it. Not saying he won't be a star in the NFL, but I wouldn't want my team taking this guy top 10, that's for sure!

One of my favorite things to do is grade players on what I have seen rather than what the "experts" say.

As for Quinn, He's not as good as advertised. he can make an excellent pro if he lands in the right place and is given time to learn and mature.

But all it will take to turn him into a bust is landing on the wrong team with the wrong coaches and forced to perform long before he's ready.

At the price he will command, the latter is more likely to happen.

This guy's getting a lot of bad press. I could see him dropping, ala Aaron Rodgers, but I don't see him getting past Carolina at 14. :huh:

The QBs this year are nowhere close to the top QBs from last year's draft class. I love Russell's potential but he came out too early to do anything soon. My favorite QB I've graded from the past two seasons was Brian Brohm, but as you know, he's sticking around.

Name to remember...John Beck

Brohm may live to regret his decision to stay in school. This is one weak QB class and next years may be pretty good. By April, Brohm's stock could have put him into the top 10....maybe even top 5.

Obviously, I am not an NFL scout nor do I claim to be. However, I have watched a ton of football, both college and pro, in my lifetime. Because of this sometimes you look at a player and you say wow that guy has it or wow that guy is missing something. While I have not watched every single Brady Quinn game, the times that I have seen him play I kept looking for that something special that a lot of people claim he has. But my untrained eye never saw it. Not saying he won't be a star in the NFL, but I wouldn't want my team taking this guy top 10, that's for sure!

I...I...

:dunno:

I...agree with FlaHawker.

This guy's getting a lot of bad press. I could see him dropping, ala Aaron Rodgers, but I don't see him getting past Carolina at 14. :dunno:

PLEASE do not put Quinn in at 14 for CAR... :wall: :ninja:

The dreaded Joey Harrington comparison. I've watched the kid play for 4 years, Quinn moves so much better than Harrington. I don't understand why we watch somebody play for 4 years then turn around and let some "scouts" rewrite history for us. I watched him almost single handedly beat a much more talented USC team 2 years ago, he played his ass off.

Everybody has their faults I'm sure, this kid has been on national TV for 4 years though, somebody should go back and look at what Russell did against decent competition this year. No TD's against Auburn and 1 TD and 3 Int's against Florida, the rest of the teams he played were garbage.

The dreaded Joey Harrington comparison. I've watched the kid play for 4 years, Quinn moves so much better than Harrington. I don't understand why we watch somebody play for 4 years then turn around and let some "scouts" rewrite history for us. I watched him almost single handedly beat a much more talented USC team 2 years ago, he played his ass off.

Everybody has their faults I'm sure, this kid has been on national TV for 4 years though, somebody should go back and look at what Russell did against decent competition this year. No TD's against Auburn and 1 TD and 3 Int's against Florida, the rest of the teams he played were garbage.

Yep true about Russell. Again, the stats mean very little. I graded Addai very high last year and the year before. In fact I mentioned Addai a good pro prospect in one of my columns in 2004 prior to anyone even thinking he'd be more than a ultility player behind Justin Vincent. When I observe these players, the stats mean little because if you evaluate their talent with a good system you tend to see the talent despite the numbers. A guy can have great numbers but exhibit few of the qualities that will make him a viable talent at the pro level (See Oklahoma's QBs in the past 7 years) or a guy can put up sub par numbers and have great talent (Addai vs. Auburn or Tennessee in the past). Common sense isn't about stats. Common sense is about watching the guy do the little things right consistently.

Where are all the posters that thought Quinn was the next coming of ?. All season we heard "who will win the Brady Quinn bowl". Allot of people here had him going number one. I never liked him rated that high but he could be a good late first or second round value pick. I look at this report as a correction of allot of bad information provided by our pathetic media.

I agree that the media over-hyped him. And we all know they don't really have a clue about talent evaluation.

Common sense isn't about stats. Common sense is about watching the guy do the little things right consistently.

Excellent point Wildman! Now, first let me state that I have nothing against Quinn or the Irish for that matter and I hope that where ever he gets drafted, that Quinn goes on to have a great career.

However, let me tell you why a team like the Lions should not take the chance in drafting this guy top 10. ND has a history of hyping QB's (Ron Pawlus sp?, Rick Mirer immediately come to mind) because everyone thinks the next Montana will come from that school. I was livid when the Seahawks took Mirer back in 1993. I wanted Bledose but it was clear NE was taking him. I actually wrote Tom Flores a letter begging him to trade down in the top 10, sign Chris Chandler who was FA at the time, and draft Marvin Jones the LB from FLA St.

Drafting Mirer set the Seahawks' organization back a good 3-5 years. Can the Lions or any team drafting that high afford to take that risk? the Seahawks had a DOMINATING defense in 1992, led by Defeisive Player of the Year Cortez Kennedy. Had they added a veteran QBvia FA, like Chandler to go along with Brian Blades at WR and Chruis warren at RB, and then added Marvin Jones to that defense, the Hawks might have risen above the constant 6-10 seasons they endured.

Mirer set the offense back and if Quinn falls into that category another team will pay for it for quite some time. The Lions can get by with Jon Kitna (heck Rex Grossman went to the Super Bowl); they don;t need Brady Quinn. But there is the Charlie Weiss connection so teams are gonna overpay. It happens every ytear.

I'm actually going to be doing more study of Quinn this week. I haven't formed an opinion of him yet--just making that point about stats. Plus, I don't care about where they are drafted. I just like seeing if I think they have the skills to be any good.

I don't like Quinn either. Word on the street his value is dropping quickly. I just don't see Miami taking him at 9 and Carolina would be retarded to take him in there spot.

I also don't like Russell, either

Where are all the posters that thought Quinn was the next coming of ?. All season we heard "who will win the Brady Quinn bowl". Allot of people here had him going number one. I never liked him rated that high but he could be a good late first or second round value pick. I look at this report as a correction of allot of bad information provided by our pathetic media.

i was thinking the same thing a little earlier this year... all the way up until the last few weeks of the college season, you would hear about Quinn being #1 overrall. Then Russell played one game on national tv, and Quinn was all of a sudden a ? for the #1 pick to the Raiders. Now, Quinn may not actually even make the top 10...

it's amazing how everyone buys into the media hype (especially ESPN's nut-licking of certain schools and people).

Quinn will definetely be a first round bust qb. I liken him to maybe MAYBE a Chris Simms. The guy has not demonstrated any outstanding skills that differentiate himself from other generic college qb's. He's too short, too small, not agile enough, and is like 13 years old. No way he's coming in and controlling a group of men. He'll for sure be a bust. If the future is lucky for him, he will get drafted, sit behind a good quarterback for numerous years, and then come onto the field. If not, and the team that drafts him pushes him out immedietly, look for David Carr type numbers.

I don't think you know for sure until they play.

But I would take Russell way before I would ever think of taking Quinn. The potential if that kid can play is ridiculous. Quinn I just don't see it. The competition was not up to what Russell faced. It will be fun to watch. You really don't know usually about these guys for 3 years into the league. Only the special ones can you see right off the bat.

I actually wrote Tom Flores a letter begging him to trade down in the top 10, sign Chris Chandler who was FA at the time, and draft Marvin Jones the LB from FLA St.

:unsure:

I have never seen the big deal about Quinn. I wouldn't invest a huge signing bonus on him.

Quinn will definetely be a first round bust qb. I liken him to maybe MAYBE a Chris Simms. The guy has not demonstrated any outstanding skills that differentiate himself from other generic college qb's. He's too short, too small, not agile enough, and is like 13 years old. No way he's coming in and controlling a group of men. He'll for sure be a bust. If the future is lucky for him, he will get drafted, sit behind a good quarterback for numerous years, and then come onto the field. If not, and the team that drafts him pushes him out immedietly, look for David Carr type numbers.

I am not going to say that Quinn will be a superstar, but I do think he can be a solid pro. Too short? He is 6'4". Too small? He is 225. Not agile enough? He is sufficiently mobile and is in excellent physical condition. I do not agree with any of your reasons for your evaluation. He is nearly prototypical NFL QB size. His accuracy on his deep ball may be his biggest problem. He will likely go higher than he deserves because it is a poor QB class, and he has some intangibles that teams look for. Despite what everyone seems to think, I believe he has good leadership qualities. He is from a pro system. He has good decision making abilities. He is a smart QB. He was constantly under pressure this season due to a less than stellar line. That, in my opinion, was the reason he performed poorly against better defenses...his O-line was mediocre. He did not truly have the talent around him that some other QBs had. Smardzija was reliable, but not truly as outstanding as some would lead you to believe. McKnight had difficulty making some easy catches. The only question in my mind is whether Quinn's stats were a result of Weis' system or his own ability. That question won't be answered until he gets his shot at the next level. I think his draft situation will be similar to that of Leinart last season. Hopefully, for Quinn, he ends up with the same type of weapons around him that Leinart did.

Excellent point Wildman! Now, first let me state that I have nothing against Quinn or the Irish for that matter and I hope that where ever he gets drafted, that Quinn goes on to have a great career.

However, let me tell you why a team like the Lions should not take the chance in drafting this guy top 10. ND has a history of hyping QB's (Ron Pawlus sp?, Rick Mirer immediately come to mind) because everyone thinks the next Montana will come from that school. I was livid when the Seahawks took Mirer back in 1993. I wanted Bledose but it was clear NE was taking him. I actually wrote Tom Flores a letter begging him to trade down in the top 10, sign Chris Chandler who was FA at the time, and draft Marvin Jones the LB from FLA St.

Drafting Mirer set the Seahawks' organization back a good 3-5 years. Can the Lions or any team drafting that high afford to take that risk? the Seahawks had a DOMINATING defense in 1992, led by Defeisive Player of the Year Cortez Kennedy. Had they added a veteran QBvia FA, like Chandler to go along with Brian Blades at WR and Chruis warren at RB, and then added Marvin Jones to that defense, the Hawks might have risen above the constant 6-10 seasons they endured.

Mirer set the offense back and if Quinn falls into that category another team will pay for it for quite some time. The Lions can get by with Jon Kitna (heck Rex Grossman went to the Super Bowl); they don;t need Brady Quinn. But there is the Charlie Weiss connection so teams are gonna overpay. It happens every ytear.

This is a great point. I had forgotten about that defense, and the readiness that they had. Mirer comes in, has one good year, and then disappears. I think it's overlooked how well a team can do with QBs that are experienced, or later round picks, but are then well-coached. Of course, there are examples of first round QBs who make it, but the coaching has got to be right, and the situation has got to be right. As much of a no-brainer as Peyton Manning seemed coming out, and as talented as he is, he struggled his rookie season behind a pretty good offensive line that only got better. He also had a guy named Marvin Harrison that helped a little, and this guy named Marshall Faulk in the backfield that took off a little bit of the pressure. That allows for a nice learning curve.

More often, however, a guy is expected to break the mold with a leaky offensive line, average receivers, and/or no running game. Very few ever do that, and the more likely scenario is that they crumble. Further, a quarterback who is going to succeed early has got to have a desire to study and learn, to absorb information as much as possible.

I don't know that Brady Quinn is that. Someone referenced his game against USC. That was 2005, when USC's defense was a red carpet . . . but don't let that stand in the way of an opinion. He's learned at the feet of Charlie Weis, and that will add hype, and likely a legitimate reasoning that he has some readiness. But as far as decision-making, I'm not sure I agree. Against better defenses, he consistently seems to disappear. Charlie Weis has put in a good pro system that provides great numbers, but they have been ineffective in bowl games, and in games against ranked opponents. Quinn seems to lack that moxie that QBs develop that says, "Give me the ball, I'll show 'em what I can do." I'll play wait and see, but I see Quinn succeeding in the NFL only if he falls down the draft board, lands in a good situation, and plays with a chip on his shoulder to show people like me that we're all wet about him.

Any Brady Quinn hype is due to Tom Brady.

Sucks for Quinn as he's held up against that but because of how Weis helped Brady along.

I'm also sick of all the Charlie Weis hype. What has he done on his own? As far as I am concerned he is over-rated by the media. Remember, most of the media are Writers or Announcers first. In the day of the internet most are less informed on sports than the avid sports fan.

one guys opinion (and the guy could be working for the Raiders).

Brady Quinn will be a All Pro level QB in 3-4 years and be the best QB in this draft IMO. Arm Strength and ability to run are SOOOOOO OVERATED in evaluating a QB. Quinn has a much better than average arm and good to decent mobility. He is smart and has played under pressure and in a complicated scheme for a great offensive mind.

This bunk happens every year around draft time cutting down proven College performers b/c others test better in the weight room. It happened to Marcus Allen/ Eddie George/Dan Marino/Joe Montana ect.

Quinn will be a star and if a team like Detroit or Cleveland passes on him, they will rue the day (and while many will not wonder why those teams have sucked for decades.

one guys opinion (and the guy could be working for the Raiders).

Brady Quinn will be a All Pro level QB in 3-4 years and be the best QB in this draft IMO. Arm Strength and ability to run are SOOOOOO OVERATED in evaluating a QB. Quinn has a much better than average arm and good to decent mobility. He is smart and has played under pressure and in a complicated scheme for a great offensive mind.

Yes, he has done everything but win and don't tell me winning is overated. If I am an NFL GM I would question someone who can't win at a lowwer level, playing for "a great offensive mind".

Yes, he has done everything but win and don't tell me winning is overated. If I am an NFL GM I would question someone who can't win at a lowwer level, playing for "a great offensive mind".

He hasn't won????? (.700 winning %)

WTF are you talking about?

He loses games To (OSU and USC) b/c their teams is completely overmatched athletically at virtually every single position!!

Brady Quinn played with slow, stiff WR's his entire career....two of which were .....GULP.....WHITE!!!! (shelton and Smardiza). The team was in the BCS two years in a row...How many QB's can claim that.

ND simply (until Weiss arrived) simply were not recruiting the same athletes that Jim Tressel and Pete Carroll were garnering...and i am a Ohio St fan.

Put Quinn on USC and you are looking at a different story.

He hasn't won????? (.700 winning %)

WTF are you talking about?

He loses games To (OSU and USC) b/c their teams is completely overmatched athletically at virtually every single position!!

Brady Quinn played with slow, stiff WR's his entire career....two of which were .....GULP.....WHITE!!!! (shelton and Smardiza). The team was in the BCS two years in a row...How many QB's can claim that.

ND simply (until Weiss arrived) simply were not recruiting the same athletes that Jim Tressel and Pete Carroll were garnering...and i am a Ohio St fan.

Put Quinn on USC and you are looking at a different story.

I love this stuff. Quinn has been the most celebrated QB of the past two years. He was the golden boy until he lost a game against #4 LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

Everyone falls in man-love for Russell for having one good game against a slow ND secondary, and all of a sudden Quinn is a pariah.

Yeah, you guys were right. He's aweful. For all of you smart guys saying he disappears in big games, try actually pulling some of the stats before you keep talking. His most average game was against the swarming LSU D. In all their games against big-time programs, he played very well. Michigan '06, USC '06, USC '05 (who had four legit Heismann contenders on offense: Leinart 1st round, Bush 1st round, White 2nd round, Jarrett (soon to be 1st round), and some schlubs in Steve Smith (future 2nd rounder), and Dominique Byrd (3rd rounder), and all Quinn had to do was keep up with that offense. Last time I checked, USC won it on the last play of the game on a RB assisted QB keeper.

Get the record straight. If you don't like Quinn, just say that for no special reason, you don't like Quinn. Thats cool. Just don't try to rewrite history and make him out to be a loser because of dreamed up stats.

His losses over the past two years: '05 USC (lost national championship that year), '05 Ohio State (in the Fiesta Bowl, 3 defenders drafted in 1st round, 6 defenders drafted overall), '06 Michigan (losses: OSU and USC), '06 USC (rosebowl champions), LSU (in the sugarbowl against one of the top 5 defenses for '06)

find some truth in posting or just state dislike and move on. Don't attempt to misquote history to prove your points.

I love this stuff. Quinn has been the most celebrated QB of the past two years. He was the golden boy until he lost a game against #4 LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

Everyone falls in man-love for Russell for having one good game against a slow ND secondary, and all of a sudden Quinn is a pariah.

Yeah, you guys were right. He's aweful. For all of you smart guys saying he disappears in big games, try actually pulling some of the stats before you keep talking. His most average game was against the swarming LSU D. In all their games against big-time programs, he played very well. Michigan '06, USC '06, USC '05 (who had four legit Heismann contenders on offense: Leinart 1st round, Bush 1st round, White 2nd round, Jarrett (soon to be 1st round), and some schlubs in Steve Smith (future 2nd rounder), and Dominique Byrd (3rd rounder), and all Quinn had to do was keep up with that offense. Last time I checked, USC won it on the last play of the game on a RB assisted QB keeper.

Get the record straight. If you don't like Quinn, just say that for no special reason, you don't like Quinn. Thats cool. Just don't try to rewrite history and make him out to be a loser because of dreamed up stats.

His losses over the past two years: '05 USC (lost national championship that year), '05 Ohio State (in the Fiesta Bowl, 3 defenders drafted in 1st round, 6 defenders drafted overall), '06 Michigan (losses: OSU and USC), '06 USC (rosebowl champions), LSU (in the sugarbowl against one of the top 5 defenses for '06)

find some truth in posting or just state dislike and move on. Don't attempt to misquote history to prove your points.

Um, at what point in this post did you prove your points with real statistics? Basically, you just enumerated all of Notre Dame's big game losses without explaining how Quinn didn't really disappear in them.

I have no idea what Quinn's big-game production has been. I'm just saying that this post wouldn't convince me that he's performed well against elite competition.

Um, at what point in this post did you prove your points with real statistics? Basically, you just enumerated all of Notre Dame's big game losses without explaining how Quinn didn't really disappear in them.

I have no idea what Quinn's big-game production has been. I'm just saying that this post wouldn't convince me that he's performed well against elite competition.

I didn't try to quantify, as I didn't really feel like pulling up the numbers. I've already done it once on another site, and frankly, already know the truth, just didn't want to cobble the number together again.

People who say he disappears in games need to provide more than hearsay and point to the Sugar Bowl. If the argument couldn't be made against him, this was more than enough to discredit 90% of the unintelligent blather.

Late in the '06 season, I was kind of down on Quinn; probably in reaction to him being the unanimous #1, next 'can't miss' stud QB. He's not going to be a prolific NFL passer. I am still not sold he'll be a bonafide star at the next level. However, the more I hear from the naysayers, the more I think he'll turn out to be a decent to pretty good QB in the NFL. He's got the physical tools and the smarts, and is comparable to Leinart in the attention he's received while in school. He's was in front of the cameras, and had to provide soundbites every weekend. He'll adapt very well being the golden boy for some franchise. This along with him having a pretty good head on his shoulders (seems humble, self-effacing) will make him a good leader on the right team (he'd get eaten alive with Raiders. Forget about talent, virtually any QB is gonna go nuts dealing with Moss/Porter). The thing I never liked from him was he seemed to start slowly in the big game. His passes sailed over receivers and he had difficulty getting into rhythm in the bigger games. He was able to make up for it later in the game, when ND was down and was forced to throw. As a Vikings fan, I was initially distraught at the idea of Chilly selecting him @ #7. The more I think of it, Quinn might be a solid pick granted they get someone to catch his passes. He'll be a good QB for the next decade. How many QB's can you say that about curently?