Sign in to follow this  
Snoopy1

Brewer Ball 2007!

OGG HALL, HOME TO THOUSANDS OF STUDENTS, REACHES END OF THE LINE

MADISON - In a few days, Nick Wiersum will pack up his belongings and leave Ogg Hall, his first home away from home.

Wiersum is among the last of tens of thousands of students to live in the two-tower, 13-story residence hall, which will be demolished to make way for green space along the East Campus Mall.

"I recall that the first time I stepped through the door to my room and started unpacking my life into my new 10-foot-by-15-foot habitat, I had an overwhelming feeling that I was finally on my own, free to do what I wanted, when I wanted," Wiersum says. "Ogg wasn't just a dorm, but my newly acquired sanctuary of independence."

The 1,000-bed residence hall opened its doors in 1965, and was the last major residence hall project to open on campus until last year, when Newell J. Smith Hall opened on North Park Street.

The 425-bed Smith Hall, and the new 600-bed residence hall at Park and Dayton streets - which will retain the Ogg Hall name - were built to replace the outdated structure that has been a fixture of the campus skyline.

The new Ogg Hall will open to residents next August, and will feature a cluster-style floor plan, with bathrooms shared by no more than eight residents. It will also have kitchenettes on each floor, central air conditioning, classrooms, a music practice room, computer lab space and state-of-the art security systems.

"The new Ogg Hall really advances our philosophy that residence hall life is about more than providing a place to live - it's a way to help students become successful in the classroom and as leaders," says Paul Evans, director of University Housing.

Evans notes that it would have been too costly to renovate the old residence hall, which was one of the campus buildings constructed quickly in the 1960s to accommodate soaring demand of Baby Boomers for a college education.

"People who lived there will remember the old Ogg Hall fondly, but the new facility offers more comfortable living and learning experiences," he adds.

The old Ogg Hall will be demolished beginning in August, but it will not be brought down with explosives because of the nearness of Gordon Commons and due to the fact that major utilities run beneath the site.

As the years went by, the aging Ogg Hall acquired its share of critics, but residents remained a close-knit group, dorm-dwellers say.

"Ogg has a reputation around campus for being 'that' dorm," says Jim Handorf, a house fellow in the building's Wolfe House. "No one ever hears about how great the people are who live here."

Handorf says he will always remember the energy of the residents and their closeness.

"I would come home at night and see a dozen or so people mingling in our den, talking about life or complaining about classes," he says. "That is an example of what Ogg was all about to me: community."

Wiersum, a two-year resident who worked as an educational program coordinator at Ogg, says he will always remember friends, drinking hot chocolate in the Fireside Lounge there and the countless hours spent in the study rooms.

"I have enjoyed my experiences in Ogg immensely and will always carry a piece of this building's character in my heart," Wiersum says. "It will definitely be eerie to walk past 716 W. Dayton St. and not have Ogg there anymore."

You can see my dorm room in Ogg in the movie Back to School, in one of the early scenes of the movie. Good times.

Big series this weekend. 3 against a good Mets team. This will be the first test of the season.

Soup dropped the first game, giving up some 2 long balls that accounted for 4 in the 3rd. Strange game, Soup gives up 6 hits in one inning, never touched in the other 5 he pithced.

Sheets Today...lets go CREW!

Big series this weekend. 3 against a good Mets team. This will be the first test of the season.

Soup dropped the first game, giving up some 2 long balls that accounted for 4 in the 3rd. Strange game, Soup only gives up 6 hits in one inning, never touched in the other 5 he pithced.

Sheets Today...lets go CREW!

:dunno:

robin yount's son (dustin ;) ) plays for the local AA team here in town. If you guys want you can send me your robin yount memorabilia and I'll try and get it autographed for you sometime this summer, daddy's suppossed to make a couple appearances

also, george brett > robin yount

robin yount's son (dustin :dunno: ) plays for the local AA team here in town. If you guys want you can send me your robin yount memorabilia and I'll try and get it autographed for you sometime this summer, daddy's suppossed to make a couple appearances

also, george brett > robin yount

I don't know if I'd trust a guy who steals statues with my Robin Yount stuff. ;)

I don't know if I'd trust a guy who steals statues with my Robin Yount stuff. ;)

suit yourself :dunno:

Page 4? :blink:

Boy, you Brewer fans are diehards.

|||||||

|||||||

|||||||

(___)

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. U

:thumbsdown:

Page 4? :dunno:

Boy, you Brewer fans are diehards.

|||||||

|||||||

|||||||

(___)

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. ||

.. U

:D

If you got to the real Brewer thread you'll see me posting consistently through the losing as I have been through the last 15 years of losing.

You, on the other hand, I have not seen until now. :first:

Who are you? :mad:

Gary Frontrunningheim Bandwagonkowski???

:wub:

If you got to the real Brewer thread you'll see me posting consistently through the losing as I have been through the last 15 years of losing.

You, on the other hand, I have not seen until now. :wub:

Who are you? :dunno:

Gary Frontrunningheim Bandwagonkowski???

:D

That was the 2006 thread...that had 6 pages after 12 months. Get with the program Don.

Alright, Snoopy.... you can be T-Bone....

We'll do this thread this year. wink.gif

....still wish I could get at that massive first Brewers one we did.

Looks like a beautiful day for a ballgame. thumbup.gif

That was the 2006 thread...that had 6 pages after 12 months. Get with the program Don.

My quote that you quoted was before I had to single-handedly bump this thread to myself over and over 26 times in a row.

The other thread is better because you can bring back funnier quotes of people slamming the Brewers.

Nonetheless, we'll try this one one more time :D

My quote that you quoted was before I had to single-handedly bump this thread to myself over and over 26 times in a row.

The other thread is better because you can bring back funnier quotes of people slamming the Brewers.

Nonetheless, we'll try this one one more time :banana:

I just don't want to use that thread cause the Brewers didn't win the world series last year...I'm not blaming it all on your thread..just saying. :unsure:

I hope all you dumasses signed up on the fan list:

http://www.peeyourpantsforthebrewers.com/

im there b1tch...god bless peanut guy...

(only the county stadium diehards would understand)

robin yount's son (dustin ;) ) plays for the local AA team here in town.

so thats what happened to him? drinking problem?...im sure he is inspired by what josh hamilton has been able to do...

takes 12 steps to get to first base..god speed dustin...

im there b1tch...god bless peanut guy...

(only the county stadium diehards would understand)

so thats what happened to him? drinking problem?...im sure he is inspired by what josh hamilton has been able to do...

takes 12 steps to get to first base..god speed dustin...

he got cut from the Orioles in spring, but playin everyday at 1B for the team that plays a block away from my home. That's why if you did want to send me a card or something, and I heard he was in town it wouldn't hard for me to get down there, plus nzoner said he could get me some free tix anytime.

So really, the option is out there, I'd send it back to ya.

It's not like he's George Brett or anything :banana:

5/16/2007 1:50:00 AM Email this article • Print this article

Stepping out of his father's shadow

Rick Dunaway

Sports Reporter

The St. Joe Blacksnakes' new first baseman hopes to use his time in Phil Welch Stadium to make a name for himself.

For himself.

Dustin Yount arrived during the last few days of the Blacksnakes' spring training camp with his share of fanfare. After all, he comes with a notable pedigree - the 25-year-old first baseman is the son of major league Hall of Famer Robin Yount.

No offense to his father, but as happy as he is to have the pedigree, Dustin Yount wants to make it on his own in the baseball world.

"It gets a little old," Yount said of the constant references to his father. "But I'm actually kind of past that point. It kind of goes in one ear and out the other."

Yount came to St. Joseph earlier this month in a completely un-Cooperstownlike fashion. He struggled at the plate for Class A Frederick in the Baltimore Orioles organization and found himself released after getting just one hit in 33 at bats.

Yount blames the poor start at Frederick on bad luck.

"I was in one of those funks where I couldn't find a way to get a hit," Yount said. "It's kind of hard to explain, but sometimes you go through it, and it just happened to be right at the beginning of the season. Spring training wasn't like that. It's just the way it goes sometimes."

Looking for a place to play and further hone his skills after his release from the Orioles, Yount hooked up with Blacksnakes hitting coach Pete LaCock, a major league contemporary and friend of his father, who grew up in the same vicinity of Southern California. LaCock now serves as both coach and landlord, opening up his Overland Park, Kan., home to the younger Yount.

Under LaCock's tutelage, Yount's hitting woes seem to have vanished. In five games with the Blacksnakes, Yount is hitting a team-leading .333 with a double and the team's only home run, a towering shot over the right field wall against the St. Paul Saints.

Blacksnakes manager "Dirty" Al Gallagher said spacious Phil Welch Stadium could be a major reason for Yount's quick turnaround.

"This ballpark is very good for Dustin because from what I've seen in his stats, he overswung," Gallagher said. "When you get in little ballparks, it gets in your mind, and all of a sudden you get pull conscious."

Pitchers capitalize on that by keeping the ball away, forcing weak grounders to the corner.

Gallagher has not seen that at Phil Welch Stadium.

"Right now, he's got a good cut, a good stroke and he's hitting line drives," Gallagher said.

Yount has been a model teammate, Gallagher said, adding that he would not have brought him on board if he thought attitude would be an issue.

"He thinks he's just another kid playing baseball with a bunch of other kids," Gallagher said. "And from what I know about Robin Yount, he's taught his son to be a man. You're not judged on who your father is, you're judged on who you are; and so far, he's passed the test."

The Blacksnakes first baseman said he never considered any career other than baseball, but not because of any directives from his father.

"I've wanted to be a baseball player ever since I can remember," he said. "That's kind of the only life I knew, just being around it all the time."

Now, the Blacksnakes are happy to have him as one of their own, but certainly not as a player who will get special treatment.

"I had no hesitations on bringing him in here because of his father, nor do I treat him any differently because of his father," Gallagher said. "I'm sure Dustin wouldn't want to be treated any different. I'd be doing him a disservice if I did."

plus, margarita night is monday, all the more season for me to go!@#!! :hyper: ;) :banana:

:banana:

Ugh, not a great weekend, dropping 2 of 3 to a second echelon Twins team, AT HOME.

Jenkins hit a milestone though, cracking his 200th HR of his career. :wub:

The massive list:

Robin Yount (251), Gorman Thomas (208) and Cecil Cooper (201) are the top three on the club's all-time home run list.

Robin Yount (251), Gorman Thomas (208) and Cecil Cooper (201) are the top three on the club's all-time home run list.

who? :cry:

who? :cry:

I'll forgive not knowing Cooper, but Stormin Gorman was one of the most fun players in the game to watch. Sort of a mini John Kruk playing center, who knocked himself out against the center field wall on more then one occasion with some pretty damn violent collisions.

ETA: Like you should talk, KC all time HR list.

George Brett---317

M. Sweeney ---194

A. Otis ---193

Ugh, not a great weekend, dropping 2 of 3 to a second echelon Twins team, AT HOME.

Jenkins hit a milestone though, cracking his 200th HR of his career. :ninja:

The massive list:

that's...kinda sad.

that's...kinda sad.

I tried to find a list of the top 3 Tiger homerun hitters of all time---only their HR's with Detroit---but apparently nobody cares enough in the entire world about the the Tigers to compile that information. :mad:

I tried to find a list of the top 3 Tiger homerun hitters of all time---only their HR's with Detroit---but apparently nobody cares enough in the entire world about the the Tigers to compile that information. :mad:

Cecil Fielder...

;)

:o

I miss Snoopy1, aka Cyric29, aka Curlynight :(