Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Anyone watch The Black Donnellys last night?

NBC was smart. I think throughout the hour, there were maybe 3 commercial breaks. They never gave you a chance to start channel surfing and forget about the show. Plus, they made the first episode kind of like a movie. They explained a lot of stuff and got the show started. They introduced all the characters and this episode really felt like an intro.

As far as the actual show, i'm undecided. I wasn't immediately impressed but since its on right after heroes i'm pretty sure i'll watch it next week. I would definitely recommend watching the first episode and make your own decisions. It wasn't a show like friday night lights where i got sick of it after 10 min and knew i would never ever watch that show again.

I just hope its not another show in the lost/heroes mold. I can only handle so many of those shows at a time.

I thought it was OK.

There were a couple of times that I got a little bored with the episode, and I had some trouble remembering the different brothers' names.

However, it was told in an interesting manner (from the past-perspective of an acquaintance of the brothers during an interrogation) and the last scene was pretty awesome.

It's probably worth watching at least once...

Good info here, thanks. Looks like it can be watched online so I'll try to do that sometime before next monday.

Keeping track of all the names is kinda hard, but i figure that its not all that important right at first. If you can't keep track of the names, it doesn't take away from the episode all that much. But thats my attitude towards all shows and the beginning of movies.

Nope didn't watch one second. Once Heroes was over I changed the channel

I saw about 90 seconds and I changed the channel. :wall:

Watching it online right now. :doh:

First of all ... according to the NY POST and the NY DAILY NEWS, this is supposed to be set in Hell's Kitchen (west side of Manhattan ... 34th to 58th streets, 6th ave. to the Hudson River) ... I grew up there, and still spend alot of time there, and this did not have the look and feel of the kitchen. It struck me more like Queens, or up 'round Bainbridge Ave. in the Bronx.

That being said ...

The real "gangsters" from the kitchen don't look like they just stepped out of a fockin' Old Navy commercial (the only convincing character in this respect was Hughie, the boss). These guys looked a bit too clean to be taken seriously. It's also quite apparent that they tried REEEAAALLLL hard with their fake ass NY accents. As far as the whole ambiance is concerned :huh:

Anyone familiar with the criminal element in that 'hood (mostly Irish, yes .... but some eastern Europeans), and the subsequent books/movies ("The Westies", "State Of Grace" ... check that flick for some REAL Hell's kitchen scenery/ambiance ... "Sleepers") saw elements of each of those included and fleshed out in that opening episode. Was all to predictable to me.

But, I gotta admit ... the end was a total blast. It almost made up for the shortcomings. As a result, I will give it another look. Due to the ending of episode one, things can only get more hectic/hot. Worth checking out, from a curiosity standpoint ...

I think that was done on purpose. Kinda like they were forced into doing all that. The main guy, forgot his name, isn't the kind of guy to get caught up in that stuff. He goes to school and tries to keep his brothers out of trouble. The ending was pretty bad ass though. I'll probably watch it next week and see if its any good.

Its probably gonna be pretty easy for me to get into this show because i have nothing to do at work. I sit behind a computer with internet access all day. Watching that on abc.com could kill 45 minutes and thats not a bad thing.

But yea, i guess its good i don't have much background on hells kitchen and crime family/mob history. The only thing i know of the whole mafia stuff is either from godfather. Same thing for the accent. The only exposure i've had to the NY accent is t.v. and maybe 3 guys i've met from NY.

I don't really like the Black shows. I mean, fine - have them - somebody likes them - just not me. Even Cosby wasn't really my thing. Is this show on UPN? (err CW). Cause these days, it seems like all the Black shows on there.

The Pilot is a free download on iTunes this week. I just checked it out and thought it was pretty cool. You gotta stick around for the ending or it will suck.

what was cool about the end? I made it about 1/2 way through abd got lured to bed. Didnt DVR the rest, hadnt been enjoying it that much up to that point.

what was cool about the end? I made it about 1/2 way through abd got lured to bed. Didnt DVR the rest, hadnt been enjoying it that much up to that point.

Without giving anything away, the end made the straighter brother pretty focking cool.

Didn't watch it, but question for those that did. What does 'Black' from the title have to do with the show? Obviously it's not refering to race, so what gives? Just curious. :banana:

Didn't watch it, but question for those that did. What does 'Black' from the title have to do with the show? Obviously it's not refering to race, so what gives? Just curious. :dunno:

Black Irish. :ninja:

I watched it and thought it was pretty good, although it pretty blatantly borrowed from Godfather, Goodfellas and Sopranos.

I might keep watching it if it doesn't conflict with more important things.

:ninja:

I know we are not supposed to trust wiki, but I was curious as to what Black Irish

meant.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Irish

Black Irish is a traditional term believed to have originated in the United States that commonly ascribes to a dark brown or black hair phenotype appearing in persons of Irish descent. It can be distinguished in contrast to the (lighter) brown, blond or red hair color variant, the latter stereotypically perceived by many to solely personify the look of typical Irish folk. The term itself is rather ambiguous and not frequently used in everyday conversation. As such, the description of those it depicts has been known to vary to a degree in that some have differing views on which physical characteristics (e.g., dark hair, brown eyes, medium skin tone or dark hair, blue eyes, pale skin tone) better define the appearance of the so-called Black Irish.

Actually, the black donnelly's were an irish immigrant family in canada that were murdered in their sleep i think in the late 19th century(wikipedia). Anyway, as for the show itself, none of it, at least from what I could see, was in Hells Kitchen. The bar they hang out in is in Long Island City in Queens, right under the 7 train. The italian mob restaurant looks like it is in the west village, and the brothers seem to constantly be hanging out in way upper eastside (saw a sign saying 116th street and 3rd avenue). The NY accents are pretty bad, sound like a bad boston accent if anything. Although the first 30 minutes were pretty weak, the second half was great. For a NYer, though, the toughest parts to swallow are the clear violation of it not being in hells kitchen, not to mention that hells kitchen, for the most part, is all gentrified now anyway. There are no irish gangsters left in hells kitchen, and this is coming from an irish american, but its true. all in all, loved the show, and will definately watch it.

Didn't watch it, but question for those that did. What does 'Black' from the title have to do with the show? Obviously it's not refering to race, so what gives? Just curious. :ninja:

It's a phrase derived from Ireland ... dealing with a certain segment of the Irish that had their bloodlines/features altered by the Moors (not the MOOPS). The "Black Irish" are considered to be "swarthy", with their mediterranean influence ... dark hair, brown eyes.

To some, it's considered a flat out insult (because it means not 100% Irish) ... to others, it's become a badge of honor. To each their own. I think most of the stigma attached to it is that a great majority of the "Black Irish" were also considered/called "shanty" Irish (as opposed to "lace" Irish) ... being called "shanty" or "culchy" is tantamount to ~ white trash~ , and, in some cases, ~n!gger ~

Actually, the black donnelly's were an irish immigrant family in canada that were murdered in their sleep i think in the late 19th century(wikipedia). Anyway, as for the show itself, none of it, at least from what I could see, was in Hells Kitchen. The bar they hang out in is in Long Island City in Queens, right under the 7 train. The italian mob restaurant looks like it is in the west village, and the brothers seem to constantly be hanging out in way upper eastside (saw a sign saying 116th street and 3rd avenue). The NY accents are pretty bad, sound like a bad boston accent if anything. Although the first 30 minutes were pretty weak, the second half was great. For a NYer, though, the toughest parts to swallow are the clear violation of it not being in hells kitchen, not to mention that hells kitchen, for the most part, is all gentrified now anyway. There are no irish gangsters left in hells kitchen, and this is coming from an irish american, but its true. all in all, loved the show, and will definately watch it.

Well, Seinfeld was filmed in LA and that was still a pretty decent show!! :ninja:

Seriously though, I don't know a damn thing about NY, but it looks like you said it yourself, "not to mention that hells kitchen, for the most part, is all gentrified now anyway." Sounds like it wouldn't be much of a show if filmed it all there.

I thought the first episode was awesome. Not once did I get bored and thinking about shutting it off. I actually missed the first episode when it played on NBC, so I just watched it online. I'll be watching on Monday night for sure.

Although the kitchen has been in the throes of gentrification since the Koch years, there is still a ramshackle feel to much of that area. 10th ave will forever be the main drag there, and I don't care how many yuppie twats from Ohio move in, it'll always be "the avenue".

Gentrification cannot/will not ever cleanse the grit from that neighborhood ...yes ... changes have forever altered it's esthetic, but not to the extent that you would have others believe by your observations. The real neighborhood in danger of losing it's old school luster is the LES. It's a fockin' shame watching the upheaval down there ...

PS - yeah, the Italian joint was in the village ... they all are. No coincidence that the Italian mobster was named Minetta (Minetta lane is in the Village) ... I thought the bar the Italians were doing business out of looked like Fanellis.

Although the kitchen has been in the throes of gentrification since the Koch years, there is still a ramshackle feel to much of that area. 10th ave will forever be the main drag there, and I don't care how many yuppie twats from Ohio move in, it'll always be "the avenue".

Gentrification cannot/will not ever cleanse the grit from that neighborhood ...yes ... changes have forever altered it's esthetic, but not to the extent that you would have others believe by your observations. The real neighborhood in danger of losing it's old school luster is the LES. It's a fockin' shame watching the upheaval down there ...

PS - yeah, the Italian joint was in the village ... they all are. No coincidence that the Italian mobster was named Minetta (Minetta lane is in the Village) ... I thought the bar the Italians were doing business out of looked like Fanellis.

Not to hijack the thread, but agree 100% on LES. Those monstrocity 20+ story hotels/condo's they are putting up are atrocious.

NBC The Black Donnellys, A Stone of the Heart, 10pm EST NBC

As the family learns of Sean's condition, Jimmy impatiently sits in a holding cell; Tommy confides in a longtime childhood friend, which leads to more than friendship. CC Stereo

:mad:

Did it already jump the shark? :mad:

I read that they were going to introduce an adopted little brother in the 2nd episode. :mad:

Hitting dead guys with a sledge hammer. Quality family entertainment. I give it :banana: and a few

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Hitting dead guys with a sledge hammer. Quality family entertainment. I give it :cry: and a few

;) :banana: :banana:

:cheers: I still like the show!

The whole Joey Ice Cream thing with him narrating and popping into the scenes kind of got weird and annoying. It would almost be better if they didn't ask him how he knew about what was going on. That's a small gripe, I really enjoy it.

:rolleyes: I still like the show!

The whole Joey Ice Cream thing with him narrating and popping into the scenes kind of got weird and annoying. It would almost be better if they didn't ask him how he knew about what was going on. That's a small gripe, I really enjoy it.

Yeah, that part is kinda lame....I actually had the show on, but wasn't totally watching it for the first 25 minutes or so (playing poker)...kinda wondering what everone else thought of the 2nd episode. When I started really watching was the metal barrel scene. :dunno:

I liked it. Sure the Joey Ice Cream popping in is a little weird, but it's clever. I never watch shows anymore because the only thing I usually put on is whatever game is on. However, this show has really gotten my attention and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Last night's was kinda tame compared to the first three episodes. I'm hoping that next week someone gets their toes cut off with an axe.

:doublethumbsup: :unsure: :banana:

I think it's a good show, although it is hard to keep up with who is who and who did what to who.

It sure beats the hell out of Miami CSI.

last nights episode was pretty greta, IMO.

Jimmy and Joey making Louie's pick-ups will sink them furhter into trouble.

Tommy showing up at the dego's mother's house was a smooth move and the WOP respected him for it.

Jimmy and Joey making Louie's pick-ups will sink them furhter into trouble.

Oh, yeah I forgot about the beat down on the dude who wouldn't pay the gambling debt that wasn't even owed to them. Guess it wasn't as tame as I first stated. :thumbsdown:

:banana: :dunno: :doh:

The Black Donnellys

Run Like Hell

Tommy involves himself in Jimmy and Kevin's bookmaking scheme when he realizes the guy about to get busted is his friend Maxwell (John Lavelle); Jenny learns about her father's (Kevin Conway) medical condition when the diner receipts go missing. CC Stereo

This could be the shark jumping episode. :cheers:

This could be the shark jumping episode. :lol:

No way!! There will be no shark jumping with this show! :o