Sign in to follow this  
Team Revell

Bad News for Giant fans

Eli gets 5-year extension

March 19, 2007

Giants fans have complained about the team's unwillingness to spend in the free-agent market, but the Giants have invested heavily in their own players this offseason.

They not only re-signed center Shaun O'Hara to a five-year, $19-million deal hours before the free-agency signing period began March 2, but they also spent big money to make sure Eli Manning remains their quarterback for many years to come.

Forget about Manning's inconsistency in his first three seasons; he's here to stay.

The Giants exercised a "buy-back" of Manning's contract earlier this month, a move that keeps the fourth-year quarterback under contract through the 2012 season, Newsday has learned.

Had the Giants not made the move, Manning would have become a free agent after the 2007 season.

The move wasn't cheap.

According to league sources familiar with Manning's contract, the Giants gave him a $5-million buy-back bonus as well as a $3-million roster bonus.

His base salary for the 2007 season will be $6.45 million. It increases to $8.45 million in 2008 and $8.95 million in 2009.

Manning signed a six-year, $54-million deal in July 2004, but the deal would have voided after four seasons because Manning achieved playing-time incentives in his first season.

Giants sources last night confirmed that the move was made and that the team had planned it well in advance.

A team source said the money allocated to Manning has not been a factor in the team's reluctance to spend big on free agents.

The source indicated that there were not enough quality players available in free agency worth pursuing, and that the huge contracts earned by some players was not in line with what the Giants believed their value to be.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese could not be reached for comment.

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.

They should just cut their loses and fully develop Jared Lorenzen.

How can you invest that much loot into an unproven NFL player? It's hard for me to talk, living in Atl and being a Falcons fan, but at least Vick makes his money

They should just cut their loses and fully develop Jared Lorenzen.

lol

How can you invest that much loot into an unproven NFL player? It's hard for me to talk, living in Atl and being a Falcons fan, but at least Vick makes his money

Yeah through endorsements

Eh, I'm gonna keep supporting Eli. He'll get better. <_<

Eh, I'm gonna keep supporting Eli. He'll get better. :cheers:

this is a make or break year for him-- coming into his 3rd full season as a starter-- Eli really has to show some improvement.. or else :cheers:

I'd say hes proven himself well enough.

I think hes top 10 in almost every statistical category as a starter. Agreed, he could be better, but I'd say hes done well enough to earn a long term deal.

comparing him to Vick is not realistic. Vick is really a glorified RB who can throw the football. He's not an actual Quarterback and has never thrown for 3000 yards in his six seasons as a Falcon.

Manning has thrown for 3000 Yards in both of his two full seasons as a starter (not counting his rookie year)

Manning is also still young enough that we can expect him to improve as a player. At this age, I'm not so sure we can expect a lot more upside from Vick.

Kind of funny how the media gets this 100% screwed up! :dunno:

How has he mde his money? What has he accompished?

Give the guy a break. Too much pressure in NYC. We have to be in the playoffs every year. We have to be 11-5 every year. Eli has to throw for 4000 yards and have a perfect games all season long. It takes the whole team to win. Blaming it on player is the easy way out. Weren't there some coaching time management questions this year?

this is a make or break year for him-- coming into his 3rd full season as a starter-- Eli really has to show some improvement.. or else :thumbsdown:

I actually thought he did regress a little last year. I believe the Giants were very interested in Kevin Curtis to help out Eli and offered him very comparable money to what the Eagles gave him. I saw the story out on ffmastermind.com under NFL Quick Bits within the last week or so. However, they were going to make him the no.3 to Toomer and Burress, which to me is a joke. Toomer has seen his better days and to give Curtis big money to be a no.3 would have been foolish in my view.

Back to Eli, if he doesn't improve much in 2007, do the G-men starting thinking about his replacement or is it too early to do that? I guess time will tell.

How has he mde his money? What has he accompished?

Playoff wins?

Vick has more playoff wins then LT (the greatest RB in the history of the NFL if you listen to people around here). More Playoff wins then Eli, Brees, Rivers, Palmer.

After reading the title and opening this up I thought it was going to say something like:

Joey Harrington is no longer available - defects to the CFL.

Harrington would have been an improvement over Eli...

|

|

|

|

(__|

Playoff wins?

Vick has more playoff wins then LT (the greatest RB in the history of the NFL if you listen to people around here). More Playoff wins then Eli, Brees, Rivers, Palmer.

that could be the most idiotic statement i have ever read in my life. u might wanna compare vick to players in his draft class that have the same numbers of seasons under their belts...eli and rivers, 2 seasons starting, palmer 3, brees 3...vick has 6, no ###### he should have more playoff wins

I don't know what you want the kid to do. He went 11-5 in his first full year as a starter and led them to a division title. In the process he threw 24 TD passes and set Giant scoring records for an offense with the second most points scored in their history. Then in 2006, even after his most reliable WR (aruably - Toomer) went down, he still led them to a wild card berth and threw 24 TD passes again, all against the toughest schedule in the league and some major team injuries. I'll admit, he's had some shaky spots but he is a young QB. You guys are sounding like he is Joey Harrington and went 3-13.

Give him a break!

I don't think this is bad at all. Avoid the Iggles homers and their replies.

I think he has progressed, but enough to warrant the money..well

He has has shown some brilliance and mediocraty so far. I think the jury is still out.

I believe this coming season wil not be his make or break yera. Next year will, dependes if they keep Coughlin and they are without Tiki.

If he really steps up this year adn leads them, He will start moving up the charts.

FF wise, He is on my RISK draft picks list.(backup)

damn it... why, reese, why?!!

and I had thought Accorsi bolted to avoid the consequences....

damn, at least making this his last year puts a fire under Eli's ass to perform... now.. no pressure... so STUPID.

By VINNY DiTRANI

STAFF WRITER

A report that the Giants have extended quarterback Eli Manning's contract through the 2012 season is not true, according to the team.

The Giants weeks ago triggered a buy-back option that increased Manning's salaries for the last three years of the deal, which terminates after the 2009 season. The final two years of the contract would have been voided if they were not bought back.

"It is the same contract that was reported as six years and $45-54 million back in 2004," reads a statement issued Monday by the Giants. "All of the buy-back bonus and simple escalators that have been earned are included in those same numbers that were initially reported.

Eli's contract goes through 2009. We exercised a buy-back which was intended to be exercised all along and has been planned for accordingly. There is nothing 'new' about Eli's current contract status."

As a result, Manning's salaries rise from $1.8 million to $6 million this year, $1.6 million to $8 million in 2008 and $2.1 million to $8.5 million in 2009.

Eh, I'm gonna keep supporting Eli. He'll get better. :banana:

Before its all said and done Eli will be the best QB in Giants history. I continue to find it hysterical how fans/FF'rs are so willing to write off guys if they don't develope hugh stats right away.

Eli will be great when they get him more than a Big mouth TE and one WR.

Look at his #'s to start 2007 when he had Shockey,Toomer,Tiki,Plaxico

Week Starter Opp Result Cmp Att Cmp% Yard TD INT Att Yard Avg TD FFPts

1 Y IND L 21-26 20 34 58.8 247 2 1 1 0 0.0 0 ff points 20.4

2 Y at PHI W 30-24 31 43 72.1 371 3 1 0 0 - 0 30.6

3 Y at SEA L 30-42 24 36 66.7 275 3 3 0 0 - 0 25.8

5 Y WAS W 19-3 23 33 69.7 256 1 0 4 6 1.5 0 17.4

6 Y at ATL W 27-14 17 30 56.7 180 2 2 0 0 - 0 17.0

7 Y at DAL W 36-22 12 26 46.2 189 2 1 2 1 0.5 0 17.6

8 Y TB W 17-3 16 31 51.6 154 1 0 1 -1 -1.0 0 11.6

9 Y HOU W 14-10 17 28 60.7 179 1 1 3 -3 -1.0 0 12.7

Two bad games in 9. Nothing wrong with that. 3 games above average and 3 games at average.

The following weeks he had 4 bad games out of 7 more FF games.

He's a fine young QB. And should be on the Giants for his enitre carrer, he needs weapons.

I love how people refer to Eli's #s when defending him.

Those only tell part of the story.

He has been woefully inaccurate, throwing passes behind people, over their heads, into the ground. He rarely if ever hits anyone in stride. His numbers look better in large part because Plaxico has made some miracle jump ball catches on bombs that he has thrown up there.

His mechanics were more sound at the beginning of the season, but he has had a habit of fading towards the end and going back to throwing the ball all over the place.

And he has been playing with the benefit of a dominant running game that bailed him out and didn't place the burden solely on him.

Eh, I'm gonna keep supporting Eli. He'll get better. :unsure:

The panzy ass biatch better start throwing the ball like a man instead of off his back foot every week. I am growing tired of his bullshit.

I love how people refer to Eli's #s when defending him.

Those only tell part of the story.

He has been woefully inaccurate, throwing passes behind people, over their heads, into the ground. He rarely if ever hits anyone in stride. His numbers look better in large part because Plaxico has made some miracle jump ball catches on bombs that he has thrown up there.

His mechanics were more sound at the beginning of the season, but he has had a habit of fading towards the end and going back to throwing the ball all over the place.

And he has been playing with the benefit of a dominant running game that bailed him out and didn't place the burden solely on him.

Aren't you supposed to look at numbers when judging a QB? The biggest number is wins, and he is 19-15 (including 2 playoff losses) in his first full two years as a starter which includes a division title and a wild card berth. He played the toughest schedule in the league last year with some major team injuries. Yes he does throw inaccurate at times, but who doesn't? Even the great ones throw inaccurately a couple times a game. He obviously does it more often, but he is a young QB.

Lets talk about accuracy. Did you ever think that most of those jump balls to Plax are designed? You think Eli cares about how people view this? When he has 1-1 coverage on Plax, it is designed for Eli to "throw it up for grabs" to the 6'6" Plax. Eli just cares about winning, he doesn't care about stats. Eli at times is inaccurate, I'll agree with you, but he is not as bad as you think. He will improve his accuracy issues and he did make improvement in this from 2005, just look at his completion percentage increase (52.8 in 2005 to 57.7 in 2006). I expect his completion percentage in 2007 to be >60 %.

He has been shaky at times, but he is a young QB, it takes 3-5 full years as a starter to really start to play at your potential consistently (ie, Drew Brees). He will only get better. Look at some of his great games. The great comeback vs. Denver in 2005 when he only had like 10 games under his belt. The Seattle game where he led a comeback, drove them in position for the game winning field goal three times only to have Feely miss each one. If they beat Seattle in 2005, they would have had homefield throught the playoffs that year. The Philly comebacks in 2006. The great one in the beginning of the year and the playoff loss where he drove them for 10 points in the 4th quarter. I know you can site alot of bad games in there too but this is the trademark of a young QB. Eventually he will become more consistent as he gets more experience.

He is a LOSER...hopefully for him, he will somehow face the Pats in the superbowl, so the Pats can hand him a SuperBowl, like they handed Peyton one.

Biggest shams in the history of sports is that a manning won a SB. :banana:

He is a LOSER...hopefully for him, he will somehow face the Pats in the superbowl, so the Pats can hand him a SuperBowl,

Or two. :first: :first:

He is a LOSER...hopefully for him, he will somehow face the Pats in the superbowl, so the Pats can hand him a SuperBowl, like they handed Peyton one.

Biggest shams in the history of sports is that a manning won a SB. :banana:

hahahahahahaha!!!!!

:cheers:

He will become incredibly CLUTCH...hopefully for him, he will somehow face the Pats in a couple superbowls, so the Pats can hand him a SuperBowl, like they handed Peyton one.

The most awesome thing in the history of sports is that the Mannings will have won THREE SBs by the 2012 season. :banana:

How prophetic of you! :lol: