Sign in to follow this  
yostevo

Anyone own a Ford Focus?

What's your take on these? Reliable? Any problems whatsoever?

I'm trading in my Explorer lease for another vehicle that needs to be gas friendly and just more economical overall because I'll be doing a lot of traveling for work and school in the next 2 years.

Before all you Ford bashers chime in, you might as well save your breath because our family has worked for Ford and I get the discounts so I'm not going anywhere else. I've had very good experiences with the 5 cars I've had.

My wife just got the AWD Fusion and that's titties. We love it but I don't want another one and the Focus would save us about 5K over the course of the lease in payments and in gas over the newly designed 08' Escape or the Explorer.

27/34 mpg sounds pretty fine with me over the 14 my Explorer was pullin.

:banana:

My mechanic LOVES Ford. He says they put his kids through college.

They are just trying to do their part for America. Built Ford tough.

My SO has a '00 nice little car but lots of new car problems with the '00 handles break latch on the console broke and the motor blew up at 28,000 miles with regular dealer maintenance....shiotty car :banana:

Ford has a notorious ability to make great drivetrains, but everything else sucks. Can't kill the motor, tranny, rear end ... but you might not be able to roll up your drivers window. Crap like that. Little things. Stuff you can deal with. Chevy is the other way around ... you can roll your windows up ... but you threw a rod.

But a Ford Focus? My God man ... how about a Dodge Neon?

Think Honda ... if you want a small car. Indestructable.

But a Ford Focus? My God man ... how about a Dodge Neon?

Think Honda ... if you want a small car. Indestructable.

I've been living the good life for quite awhile with expensive vehicles but we've reached a point where I may need to sacrifice for my team of nappy headed ho's. :banana:

My SO has a '00 nice little car but lots of new car problems with the '00 handles break latch on the console broke and the motor blew up at 28,000 miles with regular dealer maintenance....shiotty car :ninja:

Without knowing for sure, I believe that was around the time they came out with the car in the first place so I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see some lemons roll off the line.

I'm actually leaning towards spending more money on the newly designed 08' Escape. http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/escape/ They are an Explorer looking clone now with slightly better gas mileage and a much more reasonable sticker price. I'm just trying to talk myself into getting a more economical sh!t bangin 4 cylinder Focus for a couple of years until I'm through with the chaos.

I too get the Z Plan from Ford through my parents. My wife has driven a Focus wagon for four years with absolutely no problems. I am pushing seven years with a Taurus SEL with nothing other than minor repairs (broken spring, muffler, brakes). I personally do not like driving her Focus, but we haven;t had any problems with it.

Seriously even with your discount you can get a Hyundai Elantra for about 2 k cheaper.

Better warranty, and probably a better car. I went and priced out all the cheap cars when I got the Elantra, Saturn, Focus, Civic etc. Hyundai beat them all by far.

16k so far no problems

Guest Black Label Society

My ex has a focus, and she has had basically no problems with it.

probably close to 80k miles on it and it gets good gas mileage.

Seriously even with your discount you can get a Hyundai Elantra for about 2 k cheaper.

I love the look of those. I always think they are Jag-you-ars at first glance.

As bad as my opinion of Ford is, these are nice little cars. Good space for being so small, too. I took a 500 mile trip with FBTs ex and a couple others and we were fine in it. My favorite thing is the turning radius. Economical, your rebate will basically pay the down payment and put you at a monthly $200. I wouldn't criticize anyone for buying this car.

At our local Ford dealer, the latest offer is buy a Ford Focus and get either $2000 cash back or get to make the 2nd the pick in the NFL draft.

I went next door to Dodge. :dunno:

my wife has one.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_focus.html

the ignition problem is common, my wife's car also suffers from it. she has to put the key in the ignition, hit it with a hammer a few times, and then the key will turn. as you can see from that thread, it is a widespread issue.

quality engineering there. :pointstosky:

That's a lot of ignition problems right there. :wub: All of them seem to be 2004 or older models though. Perhaps they've fixed the issue.

As bad as my opinion of Ford is, these are nice little cars. Good space for being so small, too. I took a 500 mile trip with FBTs ex and a couple others and we were fine in it. My favorite thing is the turning radius. Economical, your rebate will basically pay the down payment and put you at a monthly $200. I wouldn't criticize anyone for buying this car.

After test driving it yesterday, that was my initial thoughts. Good space for a fairly small looking car. I would never buy this, but to get through a couple of hectic driving years, it's a possible lease. :dunno:

Better warranty, and probably a better car. I went and priced out all the cheap cars when I got the Elantra, Saturn, Focus, Civic etc. Hyundai beat them all by far.

16k so far no problems

I believe with my discount, the top of the line Focus will be around 18k. I'd be committing a cardinal family sin to even check out a Hyundai but I gotta do what's best for right now.

no... but i see a lot on the road... that has to mean the car is semi-reliable (or it's incredibly cheap so everyone has one.)

I got this 90 Le Baron you might wanna check out....

Uhhh.... I try to keep my cars under the legal drinking age of Mexico.

Uhhh.... I try to keep my cars under the legal drinking age of Mexico.

PERVERT :first:

no... but i see a lot on the road... that has to mean the car is semi-reliable (or it's incredibly cheap so everyone has one.)

John Voight?

PERVERT :first:

Hi.....I'm Chris Hansen from Dateline and

That's a lot of ignition problems right there. :thumbsup: All of them seem to be 2004 or older models though. Perhaps they've fixed the issue.

After test driving it yesterday, that was my initial thoughts. Good space for a fairly small looking car. I would never buy this, but to get through a couple of hectic driving years, it's a possible lease. :mad:

I believe with my discount, the top of the line Focus will be around 18k. I'd be committing a cardinal family sin to even check out a Hyundai but I gotta do what's best for right now.

that and the escape recall .. seems like the 2004 fords in general have some serious issues. makes me a bit skeptical, i went with a 2007 Jeep Patriot (26/30mpg) over a Ford Escape.

you can get the Patriot for under 18k easily, but if you're set on fords because of the discounts you can get via family, i completely understand.

Price it out, there are 2 big Hyundai dealers Southfield and Waterford

I went to Southfield first to get the price, and then haggled over at waterford.

I got the basic model 5 speed which came with power windows and power doors for $12,400 AFTER TAXES

I went to Southfield first to get the price, and then haggled over at waterford.

I got the basic model 5 speed which came with power windows and power doors for $12,400 AFTER TAXES

Oh yeah also I get 31-34 MPG CITY, and about the same Highway sometimes a bit less. Since its a stick I am in 5th gear by 40 MPH, helps a lot on the gas mileage

Oh yeah also I get 31-34 MPG CITY, and about the same Highway sometimes a bit less. Since its a stick I am in 5th gear by 40 MPH, helps a lot on the gas mileage

4th place out of comparitive vehicles. :banana:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11...sentra-20s.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11...elantra-se.html

On the interstate, the engine turns raucous and irritating above 72 mph and downright annoying in the upper 70s.
:ninja: :lol:

I love the look of those. I always think they are Jag-you-ars at first glance.

whoops... wrong car. I think I confoose the Kia with the Jag

uh yeah those are all 5k more :wacko:

It's okay to just admit your car blllllllooowwws. It's good thing this is text because if we were talking at 70 mph we wouldn't hear each other.

It's okay to just admit your car blllllllooowwws. It's good thing this is text because if we were talking at 70 mph we wouldn't hear each other.

eh ok then pay a lot for a cheap car like the focus :rolleyes:

The Focus? I'd think with a car that crappy you'd end up paying more for maintenance and repairs than you'd save on the initial sticker price. I'd go just a little bit higher end if you can.

What's your take on these? Reliable? Any problems whatsoever?

I'm trading in my Explorer lease for another vehicle that needs to be gas friendly and just more economical overall because I'll be doing a lot of traveling for work and school in the next 2 years.

Before all you Ford bashers chime in, you might as well save your breath because our family has worked for Ford and I get the discounts so I'm not going anywhere else. I've had very good experiences with the 5 cars I've had.

My wife just got the AWD Fusion and that's titties. We love it but I don't want another one and the Focus would save us about 5K over the course of the lease in payments and in gas over the newly designed 08' Escape or the Explorer.

27/34 mpg sounds pretty fine with me over the 14 my Explorer was pullin.

:wall:

I have a 2002 Focus with 159,000 miles on it, a 5dr hatchback. I do maintenance by the manufacturer's manual, not by the dealer recommendations(who are a f'kn rip off).

Problems: changed the DPFE sensor twice(and long ago), both done under warranty.

changed the end links on the front sway bar at about 120,000.

No other problems, none. The car handles great, loads of room for passengers and cargo, 32MPG (over half highway miles). I have the original rear brake pads on the car, changed the fronts at 85K and also have the original exhaust.

What's not to like? The 00's and 01's had well publicized design problems that apparently have been eliminated, so stay away from those yrs.

I have a 2002 Focus with 159,000 miles on it, a 5dr hatchback. I do maintenance by the manufacturer's manual, not by the dealer recommendations(who are a f'kn rip off).

Problems: changed the DPFE sensor twice(and long ago), both done under warranty.

changed the end links on the front sway bar at about 120,000.

No other problems, none. The car handles great, loads of room for passengers and cargo, 32MPG (over half highway miles). I have the original rear brake pads on the car, changed the fronts at 85K and also have the original exhaust.

What's not to like? The 00's and 01's had well publicized design problems that apparently have been eliminated, so stay away from those yrs.

Nice. :blink:

It would be the 5 door 07' model. Some pretty decent features like ABS, heated leather seats, heated power mirrors, power moon, rear wiper (which is highly underrated up in the midwest winters). I'm currently scouring about 5 different dealers for quotes but I still may go the 08' Escape route.