Sign in to follow this  
Doyle Redland

Oscar De La Hoya Vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr
  2. Oscar De La Hoya

As you can tell, I are a poll rookie. any body want to help me out with this

plenty of time as the fight is not until May 5th

Years ago, this fight would have been much better. As it stands right now, I think Mayweather will run away with it.

My boss swears up and down that De La Hoya's gonna win but Mayweather's a pretty heavy favorite at -220 last I checked. Anyone else have any insight? Going to his place on the 5th to check it out. Last big fight I watched was Tyson vs. Lewis so I'm a bit out of the boxing loop.

both these guys are entertaining boxers who give the fans a good time, even if they are well past their prime.

sounds like a great matchup.

There's a reason that Mayweather is -220. Honestly, I don't see how De La Hoya can win this one. :mad:

Anyone remember the Ward vs. Gatti fights?

Best boxing evah.

both these guys are entertaining boxers who give the fans a good time, even if they are well past their prime.

sounds like a great matchup.

PBF isn't past his prime. DLH is.

Mayweather is just too quick. I'd like to see DLH win, but I don't see it happening. Mayweather is about the only personality in sports that I can say I hate. Wow is he an arrogant punk.

They? As in, both of them? Mayweather is NOT "well past his prime."

I do want De La Hoya to kick his ass, though, now after reading this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=ArGV...o&type=lgns

Oops. Guess I shoulda read the entire topic before posting.

BTW...Sherk would make PBF look like a helpless monkey's ass in the octagon.

Mayweather is in his prime and probably the best lb 4 lb fighter in the world. He should win easily.

As a Mayweather fan/Delahoya hater, this fight worries me a little.

Granted, Mayweather is in his prime and the best fighter in the world, whereas Oscar is almost done....but the weight difference is major.

This fight will be at 154 lbs...

Oscar has been at 154 for (and 160 for a couple fights) since 2001....Whereas Mayweather has fought at weights of 130, 135, 140, and 147 since 2001, and anyone will tell you Mayweather has looked small at 140 and 147. This will be Mayweather's first fight at 154.

And the way they make the 154lb limit will be different...Delahoya will dehydrate himself for the weigh in and come in around 170lbs on fight night...Mayweather will be eating cheeseburgers the day of the weigh in and come into the fight at 152lbs probably.

Mayweather will have a lot more skill and speed...Delahoya will have a significant power and weight advantage.

I'll still take Mayweather by decision.

As a Mayweather fan/Delahoya hater, this fight worries me a little.

Granted, Mayweather is in his prime and the best fighter in the world, whereas Oscar is almost done....but the weight difference is major.

This fight will be at 154 lbs...

Oscar has been at 154 for (and 160 for a couple fights) since 2001....Whereas Mayweather has fought at weights of 130, 135, 140, and 147 since 2001, and anyone will tell you Mayweather has looked small at 140 and 147. This will be Mayweather's first fight at 154.

And the way they make the 154lb limit will be different...Delahoya will dehydrate himself for the weigh in and come in around 170lbs on fight night...Mayweather will be eating cheeseburgers the day of the weigh in and come into the fight at 152lbs probably.

Mayweather will have a lot more skill and speed...Delahoya will have a significant power and weight advantage.

I'll still take Mayweather by decision.

All very true. The other thing that would worry me if I was a Mayweather fan is just how fractured his camp seems to be. I was watching the HBO special that I was talking about above. Man, Mayweather's camp is a focking mess.

You've got Mayweather's uncle who is his trainer...and this guy seems like a focking clown...calling in to radio shows where Oscar's trainer is being interviewed and he's prank calling the show trying to get Oscar's guys to reveal their strategy.

Meanwhile, Mayweather's father, who was Oscar's trainer until Oscar cut him loose for this fight (as Oscar points out, how can this guy be truly for Oscar fighting against his own son) is sniping w/the uncle about how HE should be training his son and how the uncle is not listening to him, even though he knows Oscar very well from training him all those years.

Then you look at the fighters' training styles. Oscar has a very regimented routine. He's got other famous fighers who he's sparring against. Then there's Mayweather. He trains at all kinds of strange hours...pretty much whenever he feels like it. He's surrounded by what look to be suck-ups and other hanger's on.

Frankly, when you watch the behind the scenes look at their camps it's the difference between what looks like a professional, organized team and amateur hour.

I don't think Mayweather has a chance.

I was unaware that anyone still gave a shat about boxing.

:D

For the most part, no...but every once in a while a fight worthy of my attention comes about. This would seem to be one such fight.

Mayweather has been around for a while and I think the sun is setting on him.

I do think he's past his prime, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

From the Wikipedia entry on Mayweather:

At the post-fight press conference, a teary-eyed Mayweather stated he would like to retire after one final fight. This announcement has caused shock and even some anger in the boxing community, as many feel that Mayweather should still test himself against the top welterweight champions and contenders while still in his prime. However, many also believe that Mayweather, although clearly emotional, may just be weary after 10 years of boxing, and is merely selling his next fight as a retirement fight to both raise the stakes and give him the opportunity to take a break.

man...this fight is going to be awesome. We're having a big Cinco party and getting the fight.

I agree with what a lot have already said here. I think the weight and strength difference will be key in the fight for both sides. Definitely a plus for Oscar and will be a shock to Floyd's system, punches will be harder and heavier.

Oscar's camp looks solid. They look on task everytime we see them. Freddie Roach is an amazing trainer and having Sugar Shane in for sparring was brilliant. If training and focus can decide a fight, this one would go to Oscar, hands down.

Someone mentioned earlier that Floyd's camp was a wreck and it is. The power struggle between Sr. and the uncle is apparent, they can say it isn't, but it's there. I haven't seen a whole lot of training out of Floyd. I mean we've seen him hit the bag, we've seen him run, we've seen him work out....I want see him sparring with a bigger man.

I'm sure HBO is editing this to go with the media pigeon hole of who Mayweather is. Either way, I'm putting my money on DeLa Hoya...I've bet against Floyd before and been shocked, but I'm thinking Oscar makes this an interesting fight.

Is it gonna be pay per view or just on regular HBO?

I'd love to see it, but I ain't paying any $50.

Looks like pay per view. Fock that. Maybe watch it if HBO reruns it a couple days later for free.

Is it gonna be pay per view or just on regular HBO?

I'd love to see it, but I ain't paying any $50.

Looks like pay per view. Fock that. Maybe watch it if HBO reruns it a couple days later for free.

then I don't think you'll see it. :console:

$54.95 in HD PPV

For that much, they should send you a couple pizzas.

it should be consistenly in the 90's by then....we'll be outside in the pool all day, cookin' carne asada. I've got a fresh keg of DosXX in the kegerator and the fight will start at 6.

KICKASS@#!

My boss swears up and down that De La Hoya's gonna win but Mayweather's a pretty heavy favorite at -220 last I checked. Anyone else have any insight? Going to his place on the 5th to check it out. Last big fight I watched was Tyson vs. Lewis so I'm a bit out of the boxing loop.

This fight reminds me a lot of Mike Tyson vs Lennox Lewis back in 2002. Everyone in the world knew Lewis was the better fighter and should have been heavily favored. But Tyson had such a massive following that the spread never got any higher than Lewis -200 or so. Gamblers who knew the spread was screwed up, cleaned house with Lennox.

I get the feeling this fight is kinda similar. Mayweather is definately the better boxer, but De La Hoya's following is so great that the spread hasn't moved nearly as much as it should.

If I was betting on the fight, I'd take Mayweather. But as a sports fan, I'll be rooting the Golden Boy.