Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Should health insurance companies start charging fatties more?

actually if you NEVER use it you're probably more at risk to have something wrong you don't know about. A few times a year is no big deal, I was talking about people that go too much.

Or they could do something like this.

Give 5 free co-pays. Then it goes up to $150/apppointment or more. One of the biggest problems now is that people abuse their health insurance. Which, I don't necesarily have a problem with. But, people go to the doctor now every time their nose runs or they get a head ache. If yo uhave a cold take some OTC medicine for a few days and if it doesn't go away...then go to the doctor.

actually if you NEVER use it you're probably more at risk to have something wrong you don't know about. A few times a year is no big deal, I was talking about people that go too much.

That's the problem with health insurance in this country. If we made prevention a priority, health care costs would go down in the long run.

That's the problem with health insurance in this country. If we made prevention a priority, health care costs would go down in the long run.

Most health insurance polices have preventatvie measures in them. For example, giving women two trips to the gyno a year. and men one physical a year. Dental usually pays for 2 cleanings a year. Vision usually pays for one checkup a year.

Most health insurance polices have preventatvie measures in them. For example, giving women two trips to the gyno a year. and men one physical a year. Dental usually pays for 2 cleanings a year. Vision usually pays for one checkup a year.

First, I've never had a health insurance plan that gave me two free trips to the gynecologist.

Second, there's more prevention that could be done. Like covering more people for starters. People who don't have health insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor are likely to wait until their situation is so bad that they have to go to the emergency room for treatment. That costs all of us money.

And there's so much more that could be done for people who already have health insurance -- stuff like you were talking about with your company or your health insurance program. Or like my health insurance plan that gives you a $20 discount on your gym membership (my gym isn't included in the program, of course) if you go to the gym eight times a month.

First, I've never had a health insurance plan that gave me two free trips to the gynecologist.

Second, there's more prevention that could be done. Like covering more people for starters. People who don't have health insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor are likely to wait until their situation is so bad that they have to go to the emergency room for treatment. That costs all of us money.

And there's so much more that could be done for people who already have health insurance -- stuff like you were talking about with your company or your health insurance program. Or like my health insurance plan that gives you a $20 discount on your gym membership (my gym isn't included in the program, of course) if you go to the gym eight times a month.

Maybe i shoudlnt' have said free...I meant a $20 or so copay for preventative trips.

Maybe i shoudlnt' have said free...I meant a $20 or so copay for preventative trips.

I have had health insurance plans where my annual exam was covered at 100 percent.

I have had health insurance plans where my annual exam was covered at 100 percent.

My anal exams are never covered??? :mad:

My anal exams are never covered??? :mad:

They are if you ask the Doc to use his peamus instead

I think we've had this conversation about eleventy billion times. I'll use me as an example:

I'm well over 200 lbs. I haven't been to a doctor in at least two years.

My Buck-ten pscho ex? (32 C) At least twice a month - including the emergency room at least every quarter - including periodic checks of her rotting crotch - including psyciatiric care - outpatient mental health - you focking name it.

- Who's draining the system more?

The same goes for these yuppie fockers who strain their vulva at least once a quarter mountain biking, cayaking, or whatever dumb shiit they do.

I DO however, favor the idea of increasing/decreasing your premiums based upon usage - as long as it doesnt include preventative care - which would defeat the purposes. "Hemm, I'll skip the doctor for 3 years to save money, then end up neededing a billion dollars worth of treatment that could have been prevented for $100. "

It's more than just the insurance companies who are at fault here...it's our government as well.

I've talked about this before, but since it's so on point for this topic...

I live in NJ. Our great governor Corzine :rolleyes: decided that one way he'd plug the budget gap (casued by corrupt politicians and out of control healthcare costs....among other things) would be to start applying the newly increased sales tax to things that were never taxed before. Among those things to now be taxed are my gym membership and sessions w/the trainer. That all costs me an extra 7% now. Way to encourage people to be more healthy asshat. :thumbsdown:

Also, it is crazy that some CBF can get their stomach stapled and have their insurer or government pay for it while I can't even use a health FSA to pay for my gym membership w/my own money pre-tax. Again, good job encouraging people to strive for a more helathy lifestyle. :wall:

It is truly asinine that someone who neglects their helath for years can get a quick fix on someone else's dime, but if you want to be responsible for your health and proactively try to avoid such a situation it's all on you, the individual. It is almost as if we are rewarding people for ignoring their health until they are on the verge of a health crisis.

I think we've had this conversation about eleventy billion times. I'll use me as an example:

I'm well over 200 lbs. I haven't been to a doctor in at least two years.

My Buck-ten pscho ex? (32 C) At least twice a month - including the emergency room at least every quarter - including periodic checks of her rotting crotch - including psyciatiric care - outpatient mental health - you focking name it.

- Who's draining the system more?

The same goes for these yuppie fockers who strain their vulva at least once a quarter mountain biking, cayaking, or whatever dumb shiit they do.

I DO however, favor the idea of increasing/decreasing your premiums based upon usage - as long as it doesnt include preventative care - which would defeat the purposes. "Hemm, I'll skip the doctor for 3 years to save money, then end up neededing a billion dollars worth of treatment that could have been prevented for $100. "

:thumbsdown:

In order to keep costs down for the few of us people still under 200 pounds, I think HEALTH insurance companies should start charging people based on their weight and health.

and also, just like car insurance, they should give you a rating. if you never use your health insurance you should pay less than the 400 pound fattie that goes to the doctor 12 times a month.

Who's with me? :thumbsdown:

Dumb ass!

:rolleyes:

Okay, let's all get pissed at the fat people in the world for our increased health insurance dollars.

Not me. I'd rather get pissed at the pharmaceutical companies. Their practices over the past 8 or 10 years has hurt health insurance a lot more than fatties have.

Keep on watching your biased shows to drive your opinion against fatties.

Dumb ass!

Dumb ass!

:rolleyes:

Okay, let's all get pissed at the fat people in the world for our increased health insurance dollars.

Not me. I'd rather get pissed at the pharmaceutical companies. Their practices over the past 8 or 10 years has hurt health insurance a lot more than fatties have.

Keep on watching your biased shows to drive your opinion against fatties.

Dumb ass!

Shutup fattie. :thumbsdown:

Biased shows? :wall:

Such as?

It already exists, it's called a deductable.

Care to elaborate?

Do you have any idea how much money it costs to bring a drug study from phase 1, all the way down the pipeline, and finally get it passed by the FDA? Not taking into account the 90% of the ones that never make it?

People always get mad at the US Pharma industry in regards to health insurance, however US Pharma are the ones making the most breakthroughs in medicine today.

It is truly asinine that someone who neglects their helath for years can get a quick fix on someone else's dime, but if you want to be responsible for your health and proactively try to avoid such a situation it's all on you, the individual. It is almost as if we are rewarding people for ignoring their health until they are on the verge of a health crisis.

Exact same situation with home insurance. If you have a dead tree rotting in your backyard, looming precariously over your home, the insurance company won't pay to remove the tree before it falls. It will, however, pony up a LOT more $$$ to repair the damage when that tree finally keels over and crashes through your living room window.

This is the Ostrich technique of financial management. Bury your head in the sand, hope the problem never occurs, and deal with the consequences when it inevitably does.

well... obviously they shouldn't calculate it by weight... but by body fat %... and women should be allowed a little more than men for the tats... :rolleyes:

Exact same situation with home insurance. If you have a dead tree rotting in your backyard, looming precariously over your home, the insurance company won't pay to remove the tree before it falls. It will, however, pony up a LOT more $$$ to repair the damage when that tree finally keels over and crashes through your living room window.

This is the Ostrich technique of financial management. Bury your head in the sand, hope the problem never occurs, and deal with the consequences when it inevitably does.

the 9/11 technique?

the 9/11 technique?

you don't really want to go there, do you? That's an entirely different thread.

I strained my vulva last night in a collision with the catcher at home plate.

It hurts :rolleyes: but I refuse to go to the doctor, after all its just my vulva.

I really think it would start helping people realize they aren't healthy and they really should start doing SOMETHING.

Do you really think they don't realize they aren't healthy? They don't have the will power to change it now, raising health care premiums isn't going to make them step up and change their lifestyle. And raising the premiums won't save YOU money, it will just make the health care companies richer. Lowering premiums based on continued good health is great, but raising everyone else's just on prinicipal of them being overweight, is stupid, it does nothing for you.

In order to keep costs down for the few of us people still under 200 pounds, I think HEALTH insurance companies should start charging people based on their weight and health.

and also, just like car insurance, they should give you a rating. if you never use your health insurance you should pay less than the 400 pound fattie that goes to the doctor 12 times a month.

Who's with me? ;)

Spoken like a TRUE Conservative :banana:

Care to elaborate?

Do you have any idea how much money it costs to bring a drug study from phase 1, all the way down the pipeline, and finally get it passed by the FDA? Not taking into account the 90% of the ones that never make it?

People always get mad at the US Pharma industry in regards to health insurance, however US Pharma are the ones making the most breakthroughs in medicine today.

Research and development has always been a part of the industry. I have no problem what so ever with R&D. What's fairly new is the marketing and advertising that never existed in the past. The monetary bribery of doctors to use their drugs for patients never mirrored what it is today.

I work in the health care industry. Twice a week the drug companies come and bring lavish food spreads. All 140 employees can fill their bellies at lunch and take home enough food to feed their families that night. It is supposed to be an educational event, but they just drop the food off and run. They try to justify their marketing and advertising costs by saying they train medical staff. All they are doing is training the medical staff to use their products by stuffing the faces of medical professionals. My company is like a grain of sand on the beach and these drug companies make sure they visit every single grain of sand on the beach.

Why are more and more companies telling drug companies to stay away and keep their money? Because they too know that drug companies are the primary reason for increased health care costs in America.

Fock off with your R&D argument and stop harassing doctors to sell your products.

Research and development has always been a part of the industry. I have no problem what so ever with R&D. What's fairly new is the marketing and advertising that never existed in the past. The monetary bribery of doctors to use their drugs for patients never mirrored what it is today.

I work in the health care industry. Twice a week the drug companies come and bring lavish food spreads. All 140 employees can fill their bellies at lunch and take home enough food to feed their families that night. It is supposed to be an educational event, but they just drop the food off and run. They try to justify their marketing and advertising costs by saying they train medical staff. All they are doing is training the medical staff to use their products by stuffing the faces of medical professionals. My company is like a grain of sand on the beach and these drug companies make sure they visit every single grain of sand on the beach.

Why are more and more companies telling drug companies to stay away and keep their money? Because they too know that drug companies are the primary reason for increased health care costs in America.

Fock off with your R&D argument and stop harassing doctors to sell your products.

Drug sales (marketing) is what drives R&D. The more money the company makes, the more investment in Research and Development. Does this really need to be said? But anyway, Over the past few years there have been more and more of a crackdown on Pharma Salesmen and their practices such as the one you have stated. It sounds as if some of the drug reps you are encountering are circumventing the rules a bit which I agree, can be a bit over the top.

My main concern is that this is America, home of capitalism. The more money the drug companies make, the more and better drugs will be developed for all kinds of deadly diseases such as cancer, as well as better toothpaste. :huh:

If you want to disparage the Pharma sales tactics to doctors, or you feel they are wasting money instead of re-investing in R&D, then that is fine and I somewhat agree. Also, thanks for my first "fock off" of the day! :banana:

If you ask me, the problem is that health care is treated like a commodity in this country. It is not a good to be bought and sold, like cars or babies.

you don't really want to go there, do you? That's an entirely different thread.

The "Ostrich technique" is what Clinton/Bush used when it came to 9/11 :banana:

Health Insurance companies already do that, in california at least. I'm 6'2" and when signing up i put down i weighed 230. It caused a 25% raise on my premium. Its kinda dumb that they only go off of weight though because even when i was 230, i could run a mile in about 6:30-7 minutes, had 110/70 bp, no diabetes risk, nothing like that. And the other dumb thing is they can't change my weight for the first year even though i'm down to about 215 now.

But yea, maybe its different state by state, but i got charged a fat tax.

That's exactly what all companies need to do, but health insurance companies need to give those companies a discount as well. I go to the Doctor on average once every 2 years, why should I pay the same as someone that goes once every 2 weeks? <_<

Like I said before, just like car insurance. I have the lowest STEP you can possibly have 9, because I don't get into accidents and I don't get tickets. The guy that has 6 speeding tickets in the last 3 years and has caused 2 accidents probably pays twice what I do. Why can't they do it that way?

Drivers are penalized for speeding tickets and at fault accidents. Both are avoidable. Not all health issues are.

In reality, the person with health problems does pay more for their insurance than you do, in the form of deductibles and % of their stop loss.

You're mistaken. Insurance companies (I won't say ALL, because I haven't worked for all; but I believe it to be common insurance law) won't pay for damage from a dead tree. That's a normal maintenance issue you should have dealt with.

If a live tree causes damage as a result of being felled by wind storm, lightning, etc, they'll pay.

Health Insurance companies already do that, in california at least. I'm 6'2" and when signing up i put down i weighed 230. It caused a 25% raise on my premium. Its kinda dumb that they only go off of weight though because even when i was 230, i could run a mile in about 6:30-7 minutes, had 110/70 bp, no diabetes risk, nothing like that. And the other dumb thing is they can't change my weight for the first year even though i'm down to about 215 now.

But yea, maybe its different state by state, but i got charged a fat tax.

My problem with the "fat tax" is that where do you draw the line. I am 6'5" and my target weigth is around 210 I think. I haven't weighed 210 since like 8th grade. If I were to be 210 I would look like an ethiopian. I think my 250 is a good size...but I would get murdered by the "fat tax." I guess I shoudl jsut <_<

Who's with me? <_<

Had sex without a condom since 1985 or so? If so, you should pay more, right? Knowingly endangering your health.

Had sex without a condom since 1985 or so? If so, you should pay more, right? Knowingly endangering your health.

Nice comparison. :doublethumbsup: