Sign in to follow this  
Jetdoc

5th Round Commentary

For debate: KJones did pretty well in that offense last year.

Finished 23rd while missing 4 games...if prorated his ff scoring over 16 games would have finished top10.

If anything, think in 2nd year in Martz system, offense intact (sub Bell for Jones) and a certain rookie addition could be even better.

Am I missing something?

No, outside of the fact that he is available :(

all of it is right. its just a matter of who is going to get the carries, will it be a workhorse, and will any of them stay healthy enough for it to matter? my answer to those is ??, no, and no. so thats why i'll be avoiding. but its pretty clear that a full time back in martz's system could be gold.

First rookie WR.

Have to say, I think it's a reach. Even with the Lions looking decent on offense, he's still a rookie WR.

RC

LOL, my bad...fixored.

now delete yours.

BOMB

Understood.

all of it is right. its just a matter of who is going to get the carries, will it be a workhorse, and will any of them stay healthy enough for it to matter? my answer to those is ??, no, and no. so thats why i'll be avoiding. but its pretty clear that a full time back in martz's system could be gold.

:dunno:

I seriously doubt one of the RBs is going to get a lion's share of the carries. As of right now, no one really know who the primary back will be. Here's a tidbit from Lions insider Tom Kowalski

Scouting Report: Tatum Bell

Posted by Tom Kowalski May 27, 2007 06:00AM

Categories: Scouting Report

Viewed largely as insurance for the recovering Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell should actually provide the Lions a lot more this season. Coordinator Mike Martz wants to use Bell's speed on the edge in the running game and also in one-on-one matchups in the passing game. Bell can be very effective either flaring out of the backfield or dragging across the middle. The Lions never got their screen game going last year (because of offensive line and timing issues) but if they get that clicking, Bell will be a threat there, too.

Bell fits the Martz offense very well. Expect him to be a threat in Detroit's running back by committee.

There have been other former Broncos running backs who don't live up to expectations after leaving Denver, but Bell should fit in well to Detroit's running style. The Lions want to use a one-cut-and-go attack in addition to some power running stuff. Either way, Bell is very good at finding daylight and turning the play upfield without losing balance or speed.

The knock on Bell has been an inability to get the most out of plays between the tackles and, if that bears out, other backs - whether it's Jones or T.J. Duckett - will get more opportunities in the power game.

Bell, who rushed for 1,025 yards last season, has a reputation of fumbling but he only dropped the ball six times during his first three years in the league. The problem is that he lost all three of his fumbles last year so the rep stuck.

If Bell limits his fumbles and mistakes in Martz's offense, it's going to be an interesting competition at the running back position. Don't be surprised if the Lions decide to play the hot hand from game to game.

holy cow. im stunned by that one. i didnt expect him until about the 7th or 8th, and even then it would seem a bit high. calvin as the 21st WR off the board? wow. i obviously believe in the talent there, but to be basically a top 20 WR immediately?

Sorry for the delay guys, on calls the next 2 days, so it's hard to get a feel for what is going on.

Anyways, with my pick, bummed to see Brees, McNuggett, DJax, Dwill, and others all go today while I was out. I can honestly say there was not a single guy I was excited about sitting there. So I decided to swing for the fences again and take the rook. Calvin is a freak, period! Now we will see if he can excel from the start in Martz's system. I have a feeling he will under perform compared to some's expectations, but his upside is tremendous and is high enough i was willign to toss a 5th rounder at him.

Not to mention, my starting WR's are now: Johnson, Johnson, & Johnson :dunno:

holy cow. im stunned by that one. i didnt expect him until about the 7th or 8th, and even then it would seem a bit high. calvin as the 21st WR off the board? wow. i obviously believe in the talent there, but to be basically a top 20 WR immediately?

I really had no idea where to take him, but since I did not feel he would make it to the bottom of the 7th, and I just couldn't get excited about the other WR's there, he became the pick.

Looking for some feedback on this pick, as it's already looking I may have reached, but really want to know, that is part of the reason I took him here.

I have no problem with the Calvin Johnson pick, maybe a bit of a reach but if anybody really wants him they are going to have to reach at some point because there is no set area where he should be drafted. I was considering him for my next pick as well. Here you are looking for upside, and he is nothing but that at this point.

First rookie WR.

Have to say, I think it's a reach. Even with the Lions looking decent on offense, he's still a rookie WR.

Have to agree, especially with ROY there and some other WR options still available.

Sorry for the delay guys, on calls the next 2 days, so it's hard to get a feel for what is going on.

Anyways, with my pick, bummed to see Brees, McNuggett, DJax, Dwill, and others all go today while I was out. I can honestly say there was not a single guy I was excited about sitting there. So I decided to swing for the fences again and take the rook. Calvin is a freak, period! Now we will see if he can excel from the start in Martz's system. I have a feeling he will under perform compared to some's expectations, but his upside is tremendous and is high enough i was willign to toss a 5th rounder at him.

Not to mention, my starting WR's are now: Johnson, Johnson, & Johnson :ninja:

I really had no idea where to take him, but since I did not feel he would make it to the bottom of the 7th, and I just couldn't get excited about the other WR's there, he became the pick.

Looking for some feedback on this pick, as it's already looking I may have reached, but really want to know, that is part of the reason I took him here.

one time i think i drafted an entire team of johnsons. no pun intended. it was either johnson or smith. i think i went with johnson and was hurting at RB, whereas smith i think wouldve left me with only akili at qb. :wall:

i understand your excitement for calvin. i do. but rookie WRs so rarely make a big impact in the nfl right away, and you have a guy who probably wont even start right away bc of roy and unnamed-slot-wr-who-led-the-team-in-catches-last-year. personally even if i liked him i couldnt have considered him until the late 7th or 8th, where you can grab for a longshot huge upside guy. there are still about half the teams in the league with 0 WRs drafted, so youre passing on the #1 WR from half the teams in the league to take a guy starting at #3 for one of the worst teams in the league. again, i get the appeal, and i understand with no trading you had to take him now if you wanted to get him for sure. i just dont like the pick.

I think Calvin Johnson is an entity all to himself. In other words, I think the sky's the limit with respect to what he can accomplish. I love the pick....particularly since it's your third WR.

one time i think i drafted an entire team of johnsons. no pun intended. it was either johnson or smith. i think i went with johnson and was hurting at RB, whereas smith i think wouldve left me with only akili at qb. :P

i understand your excitement for calvin. i do. but rookie WRs so rarely make a big impact in the nfl right away, and you have a guy who probably wont even start right away bc of roy and unnamed-slot-wr-who-led-the-team-in-catches-last-year. personally even if i liked him i couldnt have considered him until the late 7th or 8th, where you can grab for a longshot huge upside guy. there are still about half the teams in the league with 0 WRs drafted, so youre passing on the #1 WR from half the teams in the league to take a guy starting at #3 for one of the worst teams in the league. again, i get the appeal, and i understand with no trading you had to take him now if you wanted to get him for sure. i just dont like the pick.

For One, Calvin is goinf to start, and Furrey will move to the slot where he is most dangerous. As far as the rookie WR's not makign a big impact, I think that is becoming an outdated thought as almost every year a rookie WR puts together a decent year. Gone is the 3 year rule it seems and WR's are getting a chance right away to make an impact and are coming through. Now it may not always be the one you would assume, see Colston, but one always seems to do it.

Detroit also has Roy, which adds to the appeal, Calvin will nto need to face off against top CB's all year, and defenses will nto be able to key on him by himself. Detroit being a bad team also adds value for me for this pick, they will still be throwing a ton, equaling garbage points, which I like as much as hard fought points :dunno:.

With all that said, I can understand hating the pick. Wanted to gauge the reaction to it. Personally all those other "#1" WR's don't do anything for me so I might as well shoot for some upside. Take the guy taken right after me for example, Reggie Brown. Nice WR, shoudl have a nice year, btu I don't see him doing anything special to help a fantasy team win it all. Calvin has double figure TD potential, probally won't happen this year, but it could......

the upside is certainly there, and yes id rather have that boom or bust upside than taking one of the other recent WR picks in reggie brown and mark clayton, both of whom strike me as decent WR3 upside guys. not picks i make at this point. or mabye i do, since its my pick and im about to pick such a WR1, just that i like this one a lot more than those two.

i get the calvin upside, and i buy all of your points. i actually think theres something of a longshot that calvin affects the lions the way randy moss did the vikings, their offense really clicks, and they explode for 10+ wins and the division. only then i remember its the lions. so im just not sure lol.

nice at least that hes your #3 WR and youre pretty set at RB now i suppose, so after you get a QB in your next turn, you can get some more upside WRs to go with your stud 2 already. some crazy potential there, no doubt about that.

I'm very happy with the progress so far (we're almost halfway done), so taking a little break isn't going to kill us.

This break is much worse. He was here for awhile, hours ago, then just decided to leave.