Sign in to follow this  
VaTerp

How do you determine draft order in your redraft?

My main league is a redraft. I prefer auction but havent been able to convince them to make the switch yet. Anyway, we use to determine draft order by drawing cards on the day of the draft.

Last year we changed b/c some of us wanted to know our draft spot earlier. So the commish and two other owners had a drawing about 2 weeks before the draft. First name pulled was given 1st choice of where they wanted to draft and so on.

So, the commish end up with the 1st pick for the 2nd year in a row, the second owner present gets the 3rd pick, and the other owner, who is a pushover, ends up with the 7th pick. Seemed fishy to me but I was told everything was on the up and up.

Still I would prefer a better process. Since it is not possible to get all of us together before the draft Im wondering what process others use to determine draft order. There has to be a more open way.

Thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

This is only going to be our second year but after randomization for the first year, I think we may just go with draft order based on final ranking last year. (Last place goes first, like the real draft)

This is only going to be our second year but after randomization for the first year, I think we may just go with draft order based on final ranking last year. (Last place goes first, like the real draft)

I HATE this idea for a redraft. In a keeper or dynasty yes, but in a redraft I dont see why you would punish a guy the next year for drafting a good team the year prior. Its not like you get to keep any of your players.

Also, it seems like if you were having a bad season you could just tank games to be assured of a high draft pick the next year.

:banana:

My main league is a redraft. I prefer auction but havent been able to convince them to make the switch yet. Anyway, we use to determine draft order by drawing cards on the day of the draft.

Last year we changed b/c some of us wanted to know our draft spot earlier. So the commish and two other owners had a drawing about 2 weeks before the draft. First name pulled was given 1st choice of where they wanted to draft and so on.

So, the commish end up with the 1st pick for the 2nd year in a row, the second owner present gets the 3rd pick, and the other owner, who is a pushover, ends up with the 7th pick. Seemed fishy to me but I was told everything was on the up and up.

Still I would prefer a better process. Since it is not possible to get all of us together before the draft Im wondering what process others use to determine draft order. There has to be a more open way.

We do it this same way, only we try and schedule the "lottery" at an event that at least 5 or 6 members will be at, like a BBQ, party or some other social event. I've been present each year but one, I totally trust the members of my league though so wouldn't care if I was there or not.

We do it this same way, only we try and schedule the "lottery" at an event that at least 5 or 6 members will be at, like a BBQ, party or some other social event. I've been present each year but one, I totally trust the members of my league though so wouldn't care if I was there or not.

Ditto

We have an NFL draft party every year and the FF draft order is picked after the NFL Home Team makes their selection.

http://www.irony.com/igroll.html

We roll 8 die, take away the highest and lowest, and the highest total goes first, down to the last.

You can set it up so each dice roll gets sent to just the commish, or to everyone in the league.

Terp,

Check this out--http://www.net-commish.com/tools/random/index.php

This is a randomizer that the commish can set up and do from home without anyone present. All he has to do is make sure that all league member's email addresses are entered in before he randomizes the draft order. As soon as he clicks to randomize, each member of the league gets an email stamped with time and pick #. Thus, everyone should have an email with the SAME TIME. This takes out the "fishiness" of not being present when draft order is chosen. We did this in my league and the commish listed teams alphabetically by last name before randomizing draft position.

l

draw cards 10 minutes before the draft....I like it like that, hurts the unprepared...

I really didnt mind doing it right before the draft but the Commish and others really wanted to know where they were picking in advance, which I dont mind either.

http://www.irony.com/igroll.html

We roll 8 die, take away the highest and lowest, and the highest total goes first, down to the last.

You can set it up so each dice roll gets sent to just the commish, or to everyone in the league.

This is along the lines of what I was looking for. But it seems like it would be easy to manipulate this with the number of rolls options . . . :cry:

Any other ideas?

Terp,

Check this out--http://www.net-commish.com/tools/random/index.php

This is a randomizer that the commish can set up and do from home without anyone present. All he has to do is make sure that all league member's email addresses are entered in before he randomizes the draft order. As soon as he clicks to randomize, each member of the league gets an email stamped with time and pick #. Thus, everyone should have an email with the SAME TIME. This takes out the "fishiness" of not being present when draft order is chosen. We did this in my league and the commish listed teams alphabetically by last name before randomizing draft position.

l

Dont know how I just missed this post but this sounds like the type of thing that would work. Thanks, I'll look into it.

:mad:

This is along the lines of what I was looking for. But it seems like it would be easy to manipulate this with the number of rolls options . . . :dunno:

Any other ideas?

There isn't a way to manipulate it because it says how many dice they rolled (and all the other qualifications you guys decide) in the e-mail as well. If they did it wrong, they just need to do it over.

I HATE this idea for a redraft. In a keeper or dynasty yes, but in a redraft I dont see why you would punish a guy the next year for drafting a good team the year prior. Its not like you get to keep any of your players.

Also, it seems like if you were having a bad season you could just tank games to be assured of a high draft pick the next year.

:cheers:

this makes sense to me. thanks, terp. our 1st 4 years, we drew places at the draft. i wanted a little time to prepare knowing my position so about 8 of our 14 teams drew out of a hat over beers a few weeks before the draft. a bar patron, other than a team owner, drew for the guys not there. that worked fine. in order to know all offseason, i was going to propose reverse order of last year's finish but this convinces me that this is not a good idea. knowing your draft position for a couple of weeks is enough.

your commish probably isn't playing games but it just doesn't look good. if the owners are all (or mostly) in the same town, get as many together as possible for the drawing and then everyone will be comfortable.

Last year- we picked names out of the hat starting with the last pick first-- This year-- I am putting everyones name in a hat and having the members in the league pick cards-- Ace being the first pick with the Jack being the 11th and the Queen being the 12th.. The hat will be passed around-- so the person with the queen will select a name out of the hat and whos ever name comes out-- has the 12th pick-- all the way down to the Ace who will have the first... This is a total random way of doing it I feel

Haven't read the others....but here's what we did.

Take final standings from last year. We have 12 teams. Team that got 1st gets one piece of paper in a hat...2nd gets two...3rd gets three...so on and so on. Lottery system.

I ended up dead last 12th out of 12th...even though I was 7th and just missed the playoffs due to Ronnie Brown and Chester Taylor doing nothing during playoffs due to injuries. I get 12 "ping pong" balls this year...but with my luck...I'll probably end up being pick 5-6 or something.

My main league is a redraft. I prefer auction but havent been able to convince them to make the switch yet.

Convince them... Auction is the only way to go. :doublethumbsup: :banana: :headbanger:

draw cards 10 minutes before the draft....I like it like that, hurts the unprepared...

Yea, we have a loser bowl for the teams who did not make the playoffs, the winner of the loser bowl gets his choice of draft position for next year (keeps the teams who wont make the playoffs, interested) we all pick 1 envolope that is on the commish's table once we get to the draft for our draft position.

I wrote an Xcell program that does it (generates random #'s then ranks them). Bring my laptop to the draft and prior year SB champ holds the F6 button for as long and he wants and when he releases it, there it is. Everyone stands around yelling at him while names and #'s are flashing way faster than anyone can cheat at. Great fun indeed.

We've done it several different ways, draft night and before. This one is crazy, but we liked it - We determined draft order for the next year based on the Kicker scores for week 14 of the current year - with weeks 13 and 12 as tie breakers if needed....gives the bad teams something to play for at the end of the season if there team is already out of the playoff hunt.

I randomly place the numbers 1-12 on a sheet of paper, then another league member picks names out of the hat and we go in order.

For instance say we have 3 6 4 9 2 11 9 8 7 12 10 5 1. The first name drew picks 3rd, the second name picks 6th and so on... no one knows the numbers on the sheet until all 12 names are pulled...

works fine for us.

NOTE: always have as many people possible when drawing draft position, this will help later...

We do the name in the hat deal, from first position down at the first Buc's pre-season game where there is usually 4-5 of us to verify and one of our buddies not in the league always picks so it's pretty square.