Sign in to follow this  
brentleim

Brandon Jacobs

Just out of curiosity. He is the 3 down back, the goal line back and receiving back in the system that created and then made a monster of Tiki.

I see 330/1550/15 rushing and 60/500/4 receiving

Any other opinions???

it all depends on if he's gonna be the feature back or 3rd down back.

if featured, then I see him having a great year (top 10 probably)

if he's not, then it'll be like last year, he'll do great some weeks, but disappear others.

Just out of curiosity. He is the 3 down back, the goal line back and receiving back in the system that created and then made a monster of Tiki.

Any other opinions???

Oh ya! This guy is just as good as Tiki! Definately! :wacko:

I like Jacobs more than most people do. I think he will be a solid #2 back. Droughns isn't going to beat him out for the feature role. It's more likely that Jacobs will be the 1st and 2nd down back with Droughns or Bradshaw mixing in every 3rd or 4th series and on 3rd downs.

However, I think Jacobs will average around 15-20 carries a game and catch more balls than most people think (over 30).

He's a solid 3rd round pick IMO

I like Jacobs more than most people do. I think he will be a solid #2 back. Droughns isn't going to beat him out for the feature role. It's more likely that Jacobs will be the 1st and 2nd down back with Droughns or Bradshaw mixing in every 3rd or 4th series and on 3rd downs.

However, I think Jacobs will average around 15-20 carries a game and catch more balls than most people think (over 30).

He's a solid 3rd round pick IMO

I am not a real Drougns fan, but who's to say that Jacobs will beat him out for the job. Droughns is not great but he is proven. Jacobs is not proven but he is big and fast but that doesn't mean he will be great or even good.

Oh ya! This guy is just as good as Tiki! Definately! :dunno:

Never said he was as good as Tiki. He is in the same system and the games I watched him play, he has more of an ability to roll over tacklers where Tiki was much more of a wiley type back. Besides, he will be the starter and like i have said, get the third down, short yardage and receiving downs. Coughlin will ride this one horse all year.

Never said he was as good as Tiki. He is in the same system and the games I watched him play, he has more of an ability to roll over tacklers where Tiki was much more of a wiley type back. Besides, he will be the starter and like i have said, get the third down, short yardage and receiving downs. Coughlin will ride this one horse all year.

Who has said he will play every down?

Never said he was as good as Tiki.

Yes you did.

I make BJ a top 20 RB, and a top 30 player, but not top 15 and top 20.

J

I can't wait to see what he can do. I for one am routing for the guy and all the naysayers :dunno:

Jacobs is a beast. He's going to have a monster year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_pgc8as90

Wow! Why wasn't he the starter? Oh, because he wasn't has good as Tiki. Why was Tiki getting 1st and 2nd down carries? Beacuse Jacobs wasn't good enough. There is more to RB than being big and strong. Ask Emmit, LT, Faulk, Dickerson, Payton, OJ, Sayers. . . . .

Wow! Why wasn't he the starter? Oh, because he wasn't has good as Tiki. Why was Tiki getting 1st and 2nd down carries? Beacuse Jacobs wasn't good enough. There is more to RB than being big and strong. Ask Emmit, LT, Faulk, Dickerson, Payton, OJ, Sayers. . . . .

Tiki didn't get the full time duties until his 6th season. Because they didn't hand the job to Jacobs over a probowler in his second season means he won't be good? :dunno: I guess LJ sucks too because he wasn't starting over Holmes in year 1.

Jacobs is a physical beast, and certainly capable of handling the work load as a starting RB. While he is a punishing runner, and actually has a pretty good burst, he lacks the ability to cut against the grain, identify seems, or cut well. If you run him in one direction and let him ram it, he is likely good for a 4+ ypc.

Its just had to know how he will be used, or how well he will run if he can't simply steamroll...

I am not a real Drougns fan, but who's to say that Jacobs will beat him out for the job. Droughns is not great but he is proven. Jacobs is not proven but he is big and fast but that doesn't mean he will be great or even good.

find me one article that hints at Droughns being the starter...

I have 2 that says Jacobs will be...

I can only make decisions with the information that I have been provided. That information indicates Jacobs will be given every opportunity to handle the job.

http://fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=552007nkf5951kg

http://fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=5122007cav2032av

I hope the haters allow him to slip into the late 3rd/early 4th where he is an excellent value pick.

Happens all the time, somebody who doesn't have the resume gets an opportunity and blows up. Next year we will be discussing whether he is worth a 1st round pick...

Any other opinions???

:unsure:

Tiki had great vision, and cutback ability. Jacobs is a completely different kind of back.

Jacobs could be a monster, this yr, not so sure. i think he will have good games against teams with holes in their run D.

First let me say this, I don't post on here very often but I do enjoy reading good posts. I didn't believe any of the hype on this guy until recently I read that one of the coaches on the Giants claim in mini camp that B Jacobs was faster than Tiki Barber! Take it for whats it worth, but I will gobble this guy up in the third round and ride him, he will be this years Steal of The Draft!

I hope the haters allow him to slip into the late 3rd/early 4th where he is an excellent value pick.

I am one of the bigger Jacobs haters here but the title of this thread was "is he a top 5 back?" basically meaning the first 6 picks. Even I will admit I would take the guy in the end of 3/ beginning of 4.

Have you ever watched this guy try to catch a football? I honestly would say you have a better chance of catching 60 passes for the Giants next season, especially considering the fact that Droughns is a fairly good receiver and would be on the field in all 3 and less than 2 plays also. Droughns will almost certainly have more receptions this year.

I am a big Jacobs fan. I could definitely see him in the 1200 yard 10-12 TD range. I do not see him catching 60 balls. I think he will get close to 20 carries a game. He is deceptively quick. He is a big guy, so when he runs he looks slower than he actually is. People give him less credit. He is a decent receiver, not great, but not terrible either. I would not be surprised to see him catch 30-35 this year. He has break away speed so he can definitely break some long runs. The number predicted by the poster are a little far fetched though. He may crack the top ten, but Droughns, and maybe Bradshaw, will eat into his carries a little...especially because it is his first year with a heavy load of carries. 1400-1500 total yards and 10-12 TDs. Rudi Johnson like numbers. I would take him in the 2nd round.

Top 5..No, He seemed to have learned quite abit more this past season and picked up blocking schemes better. I,m guessing Droughns will be insurance to start the season and used for breathers and more recieving plays. It seems Jacobs will have every chance in pre-season to prove to the Giants that he deserves to start full-time.

My guess...1,,100 yds and 8tds. He probably will drop in many drafts to 3rd rnd. I can't see him going higher with the uncertainty until pre-seaon gets underway.

BJ and RD are both too big and easily covered when going out of the backfield for more than ten yards but good luck stopping Jacobs up the middle for five.Brandon Jacobs should pan out to be an awesome number two.

2 cents

Not really a BJ hater or lover, but I wouldn't dare spend a 1st on him this year, and 2nd would really depend on where I was drafting and who was available. Solid value, imho at least, at end of 2nd to the early 3rd round. If he gets 1300 total yards and 10 total TD's, he is gonna be a nice steal, but if he can't handle the load, or gets his carries heavily chewed into, his totals could be a lot closer to 1000 yds and 6 TDs, which isn't anything super for a 2nd round pick.

just don't see those kinds of #s in his first year as a starter. i want to make sure he can carry the full load and i have my doubts (not to mention droughns looming). i'd take him probably mid 2nd, but not top 5. too many other proven guys out there.

I am one of the bigger Jacobs haters here but the title of this thread was "is he a top 5 back?" basically meaning the first 6 picks. Even I will admit I would take the guy in the end of 3/ beginning of 4.

Have you ever watched this guy try to catch a football? I honestly would say you have a better chance of catching 60 passes for the Giants next season, especially considering the fact that Droughns is a fairly good receiver and would be on the field in all 3 and less than 2 plays also. Droughns will almost certainly have more receptions this year.

This is simply not true. I live in the NY area so see almost every Giants' game. Jacobs is a fine receiver out of the backfield. They didn't throw to him alot last season since they had Tiki, but they did swing him out of the backfield on a couple of occasions with success. I've also see him go out in "TE type" patterns and bring the ball in, he has soft hands and is agile for his size. He doesn't look like a third down back for sure, but he is capable of succeeding as one.

With this said, I don't know if he will be used on third downs or not, no one does at this point. I can see Bradsaw or Droughns out there on third downs as they are both capable and the Giants will not overwork Jacobs, but Jacobs can catch at least at the average level for RBs.

Have you ever watched this guy try to catch a football? I honestly would say you have a better chance of catching 60 passes for the Giants next season,

Honestly, I can only assume that you have never watched him catch a football having made this statement. I've seen every catch he's made including the preseason and seen him catch a lot of balls in camp. Jacobs is very comfortable catching balls out of the backfield and has good hands.

Jacobs is a physical beast, and certainly capable of handling the work load as a starting RB. While he is a punishing runner, and actually has a pretty good burst, he lacks the ability to cut against the grain, identify seems, or cut well. If you run him in one direction and let him ram it, he is likely good for a 4+ ypc.

Its just had to know how he will be used, or how well he will run if he can't simply steamroll...

This is a pretty fair/accurate assessment.

Honestly, I can only assume that you have never watched him catch a football having made this statement. I've seen every catch he's made including the preseason and seen him catch a lot of balls in camp.

I just do not agree at all that he currently is going to be any sort of pass catching back. Even aside from my assessment the guy has caught a grand total of 23 passes in his 6 seasons of post-high school football. Obviously I am not going to sit every practice in Giants training camp and watch the guy catch passes. I'm not going to go to Mankato to watch Peterson run the ball so I certainly am not going to Albany or wherever they are and scout him. You probably do have a better read on him then because I am just going by what I saw in games and what I read. Maybe the guy surprises me, I certainly have been wrong before.

I do agree completely that if he wants to work heavily on his receiving skills that it will improve his very slim odds of succeeding given that a guy of his size basically has never made it as a workhorse on the NFL level past a couple of good seasons. But assuming that he can do that is like assuming he can be a guy you can rely on for 20 carries a game when he hasn't had more than 150 carries in a season since playing in community college.

My bottom line on him is they brought in Droughns for a reason. Jacobs filled a role very nicely last season. Even though Droughns is a little bigger he still will complement Jacobs nicely with his skill sets. Obviously I don't like Jacobs as an overall back aside from scoring but I think the two of them combined give the Giants a pretty good tandem at that position.

It's only natural to want to draft any starting RB under Tom Coughlin. The man makes great RBs. I just wish the situation wasn't so cloudy. It sucks taking big risks with an early pick. In any case, here are some stats:

Brandon Jacobs 6-4, 264 lbs, 25 yo (turning 26 in a month)

2005 NYG 16 G, 0 GS, 38 att, 99 yards, 2.6 avg, 7 TDs, 0 rec

2006 NYG 15 G, 0 GS, 96 att, 423 yards, 4.4 avg, 9 TDs, 11 rec, 149 rec yards, 13.5 avg rec

Holy crap he's tall for a RB! That's gotta make him an easier target to throw to, whether or not he can actually catch. But 264 lbs is huge for a RB... makes you wonder how fast could he possibly be? I doubt he'll break off any 50+ yard runs, on the other hand he's probably a great blocker. I like that rushing average of 4.4 yards last year. 16 career TDs in his first two years with only limited duty is impressive. He clearly has a nose for the endzone.

Reuben Droughns 5-11, 220 lbs, 28 yo (turning 29 in two months)

2000 DET 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2001 DET 9 G, 3 GS, 30 att, 72 yards, 2.4 avg, 0 TD, 4 rec, 21 rec yards, 5.3 avg rec, 1 rec TD

2002 DEN 16 G, 0 GS, 4 att, 11 yards, 2.8 avg, 1 TD, 5 rec, 53 rec yards, 10.6 avg rec, 1 rec TD

2003 DEN 15 G, 4 GS, 6 att, 14 yards, 2.3 avg, 0 TD, 9 rec, 87 rec yards, 9.7 avg rec, 2 rec TD

2004 DEN 16 G, 15 GS, 275 att, 1240 yards, 4.5 avg, 6 TD, 32 rec, 241 rec yards, 7.5 avg rec, 2 rec TD

2005 CLE 16 G, 16 GS, 309 att, 1232 yards, 4.0 avg, 2 TD, 39 rec, 369 rec yards, 9.5 avg rec, 0 rec TD

2006 CLE 14 G, 12 GS, 220 att, 758 yards, 3.4 avg, 4 TD, 27 rec, 169 rec yards, 6.3 avg rec, 0 rec TD

Besides his one great year in Denver, his stats have been very unimpressive. Apparently he couldn't even win a starting RB position in his first 4 years in the league... that's not good for any RB. His rushing average was horrible last year at just 3.4. He has a grand total of 19 TDs to show for his 7 year career. Turning 29, you gotta think he probably only has a couple years left in the NFL. Looks like back-up material.

Given all that, I don't see Coughlin trying to resurrect Drougns career. Not when he has a younger RB with all the attributes of Jacobs, who already has two years of experience playing under Coughlin. The only real knock against Jacobs is his weight/speed. BTW - did Coughlin personally draft Jacobs two years ago? If so, you might think Coughlin has a personal agenda in wanting to see Jacobs succeed.

Gobble,

Coughlin was the coach when Jacobs was drafted, but I don't think that means much. If he felt Droughns was the better option, he'd get the bulk of the carries.

Jacobs has good speed -very good for a guy his size. In his time to date, he's proven he has the speed to turn the corner, and many of his best runs have been to the outside. The RB coach has stated that he's actually faster than Tiki, and Tiki himself has confirmed this. The consideration for him isn't his speed, it's his quickness/change in direction. But cutting and slashing simply isn't the sort of runner he is.

Top 5 is not realistic. At all. But I like the guy and would like him in the 3rd round.

Ill say he ends up with around 1100/9 32/275/1

The RB coach has stated that he's actually faster than Tiki, and Tiki himself has confirmed this. The consideration for him isn't his speed, it's his quickness/change in direction.

I read that ealier... that's amazing if it's true. Faster than Tiki!?!?! Obviously tough, changing direction ain't easy for anyone at that weight.

Any word on his blocking skills? At his size, you'd think he'd be a natural. If he is, you might not want to discount him on all 3rd downs as coaches need to protect the QB on 3rd and long.

I read that ealier... that's amazing if it's true. Faster than Tiki!?!?! Obviously tough, changing direction ain't easy for anyone at that weight.

Any word on his blocking skills? At his size, you'd think he'd be a natural. If he is, you might not want to discount him on all 3rd downs as coaches need to protect the QB on 3rd and long.

Tiki had tremendous acceleration and change in direction, but his top speed was not exceptional. He was as good at slashing his way through a secondary as I've ever seen (outstanding vision), but would sometimes get caught from behind in his long runs (he had a lot of them).

Jacobs has come a long way with his blocking. That's an area rookie backs tend to struggle on, and Jacobs was no exception. Not due to lack of skills, but in learning to pick up on the complex NFL blitzes. He was pretty good in this area last year, and I don't think this is an area the staff has any particular concerns with. This would be a far bigger concern for the rookie back they drafted this season, and could definitly limit his value to them as a 3rd down back. I'm assuming it's not at all a concern for droughns either.

I gotta say the more I'm reading about Jacobs, the more I like.

Mock drafts currently have him going in the early 4th round. Unfortunately, by the time the real draft rolls around, I gotta believe his ADP will increase to mid/late 3rd. Still seems like a value pick for a Coughlin RB.

I gotta say the more I'm reading about Jacobs, the more I like.

Mock drafts currently have him going in the early 4th round. Unfortunately, by the time the real draft rolls around, I gotta believe his ADP will increase to mid/late 3rd. Still seems like a value pick for a Coughlin RB.

He will be an alternate 2nd round #2 rb for me, depending where I draft, and how it falls. I currently only have 2 backs in the 2nd round over him. I know I might be in the minority.

Besides his skills, do you know what I like about him?

His character.

He stated that he studies Eddie George's style, trying to emulate a successful, big running back (I'm paraphrasing a bit here). Which indicates to me that he understands the drawbacks of being a big running back and is trying to compensate by working on such things as pad level and contact.

Also, this is the guy that said, "If it bleeds, I can kill it". Now that's the right attitude.

Sounds like the type of player who knows his strengths/weaknesses, is willing to work hard and who wants to win the starting position and be an elite player.

Or, I may be looking into the contents of a few interviews way too much. But there's definitely something I like there...

Last year he averaged 4.3 yards per carry.

Even if you estimate a more conservative/realistic 4.0 average, and only 20 carries per game... times 16 games equates to 1,280 rushing yards. And a conservative TD total would be 10. Throw in a low ball estimate of 30 receptions.... and we're talking about a player who should be a late first rounder with the potential to be this year's Frank Gore.

For a 3rd round pick, that's value my friend. I'm officially on the Brandon Jacobs bandwagon. :pointstosky:

I think Jacobs is the clear cut starter, and Droughns will provide him a breather. Coughlin has a history of riding his horses, and only acted differently as Tiki asked for it and aged.

The last 2 years the Giants used Jacobs in a pretty predictable way, ran him up the gut. He was successful in most cases. He needs to work on his pass blocking, but I don't think he'll have a problem catching the ball. The Giants love to run that little slip screen Pittsburgh and Green Bay run so efficiently and the Giants ran efficiently with Tiki. Jacobs gets up to speed pretty quickly, and should break a few long ones.

The main issue for him will be staying healthy.

Droughns struggled the last 2 years, and can't get in the endzone. saying that, if Jacobs gets dinged Droughns could be a solid bye week guy.

I have Jacobs as a RB2 who will get lots of opps. He could be very good, but I haven't looked at his schedule yet.

Jacobs is faster than Tiki, Jacobs is probably faster that LT. Even LT's back-up is faster than him. But LT is better than both. Speed is great but it is not everything. I always laugh about the College QB's who get on their knees and throw the ball 50 yards through the goal posts. :cry: And what does it mean? Absolutely nothing!

Another example: Look at all the big and strong o-lineman that come out of college each yeat. Oh, look at that guy, he is as big as a mountain and strong as an ox. But guess what, very few of them go on to be great. It's not all about size and strength or speed.