Sign in to follow this  
famousb

So where could CPep end up playing NEXT season...

In watching all that's going on, it seems more than likely that if he goes anywhere, it'll just be as a backup simply due to the fact his knee probably won't be ready by week1...

So i'm wondering where he could go this year, that he could even have a chance at being the starter NEXT year... or even possibly late this year... so many teams already are entrenched with their starting QB that CPep's value really has to be in the sh!tter....

1. I think the popular sentiment is OAK, which i just don't agree w/. They traded DET to get a "vet" QB, and drafted a young gun. So i'm looking at them as sitting Russell to start, but then possibly going to him later in the season...

2. Maybe TB?? I know Gruden has a liking for older QBs, and if Plummer holds up his retirement threat, i could see Gruden bringing him across the panhandle for cheap just to have an extra guy there... We all know Garcia doesn't have many years, and it seemed fairly obvious that Simms was not the answer either...

3. CHI?? Sexy Rexy (as Kornheiser likes to call him) is definitely on the hot seat if he has too many bad games this year. If he can fix his mechanics, and figure out that throwing off the back foot is[/is] a bad idea, he should be good, but if not... CPep could be good for that organization possibly...

4. SEA? They were looking at Carr as a backup, maybe bring in CPep out of concern for Hass and his injury problem?? Holmgren can turn QBs into something good...

5. ATL? people say this cause they swear Vick is gone... but even if he is, I don't see CPep as a Petrino-type QB... i think he wants more of the traditional passer...

1) No chance Oakland, their depth chart will be McNown/Russell/Walter to start the year without question. Culpepper would just be a distraction to Russell.

2) I can't see Tampa bringing him in, they already have about 10 QBs and he doesn't suit the offense

3) Might be a fit in terms of Chicago's offense but I think Grossman/Griese/Orton will be the depth chart again

4) Doesn't suit Seattle's offense, and they love Hasslebeck/Wallace/Greene. Even though Wallace is likely gone after this season I can't see it.

5) No idea about Petrino, Atlanta's QB situation seems more unsettled than the others, I can't see wanting to bring in Culpepper and have three guys with confidence problems

Honestly I don't see how any team would want to add Culpepper until his stock drops for awhile and he realizes he's only a #3 QB for now.

As I've said before, Culpepper is one of the worst possible choices for Chicago.

They need a solid, if unspectacular, QB. One who is accurate, moves the chains, and doesn't throw INTs, even if that means not throwing the long ball. In short, one who lets the defense kick ass, and not put them in bad situations.

Daunte's the complete opposite, he can be either kickass, or god awful.

Redskins or Lions

Campbell and Kitna.......Seriously.

Kitna has actually played pretty well. His only real downside is that he seems to throw too many INTs in critical situations. He'll be adequate until Martz develops Stanton/Orlovsky to start in a year or two

i could see Gruden bringing him across the panhandle for cheap just to have an extra guy there...

Tampa is in Central Florida. Miami is in South Florida. The "panhandle" is Northwest Florida.

In order to "bring him across the panhandle", they would have to pick him up in Miami, drive up to Alabama, and then drive back down to Tampa.

:pointstosky:

(yes, I'm bored)

Jacksonville, if Leftwich doesn't start proving more. Garrard didn't fare so well last year after the latest Leftwich injury.

Agreed. That does sounds like a good fit for Culpepper and the Jags. :dunno:

Redskins or Lions

Campbell and Kitna.......Seriously.

CPep needs an OL that blocks for him so he can take deep drops and chuck it down field... that's not going to happen in a Martz-style offense.

Tampa is in Central Florida. Miami is in South Florida. The "panhandle" is Northwest Florida.

In order to "bring him across the panhandle", they would have to pick him up in Miami, drive up to Alabama, and then drive back down to Tampa.

:banana:

(yes, I'm bored)

ok, i shoulda said the panhandle state... i was wrong... :dunno: or maybe the sunshine state would have been better (or is that CA?)... ok, how about just the place where old people go? :clap:

Jacksonville, if Leftwich doesn't start proving more. Garrard didn't fare so well last year after the latest Leftwich injury.

That's not a bad call at all, since he fits their exact mold of a QB... 6'4, 230+ lbs...

but i just don't see him going there this year which would make it hard to get him there next year... They claim Leftwich is still the guy, Garrard is only a good backup (even though he's an ECU grad...), and Quinn Grey has potential but is just buried on the depth chart...

I think Detroit should grab him. Kitna's 35 and prone to make mistakes. Drew Stanton is horrible - don't even argue it, he sucks, I gaurantee he won't succeed.

I like him in Chicago, Carolina, Denver, Dallas.

All these teams could afford the 2 million a year and have either shaky starting situations or need a proven backup...Don't count out Green Bay.

I realize Carolina has Carr, but I could see Daunte there in 2008

As I've said before, Culpepper is one of the worst possible choices for Chicago.

They need a solid, if unspectacular, QB. One who is accurate, moves the chains, and doesn't throw INTs, even if that means not throwing the long ball. In short, one who lets the defense kick ass, and not put them in bad situations.

I have a different thought on the Chicago possibility. I think for Chicago to beat an AFC team in the Superbowl they will need more offensive firepower. Culpepper can do that with his arm. But I think the chances of Cpep in CHI are pretty low.

I really like the Cpep to ATL idea. He is a better passer than Vick (IMO).

All these teams could afford the 2 million a year and have either shaky starting situations or need a proven backup...Don't count out Green Bay.

I completely disagree with Denver and Dallas. Cutler and Romo are QB gold - and future and current pro-bowl players.

I completely disagree with Denver and Dallas. Cutler and Romo are QB gold - and future and current pro-bowl players.

I like CPep as a backup in those 2 places...Make 2 million and backup Cutler, and push Romo in Dallas. Culpepper can get completely healthy and learn from Johnson, Romo, Garrett, and Wilson. Dallas can take a chance on the talent

Giants could use a backup with some game experience as well

I think Detroit should grab him. Kitna's 35 and prone to make mistakes. Drew Stanton is horrible - don't even argue it, he sucks, I gaurantee he won't succeed.

not that i think Kitna, or Stanton, are the long-term answers there... but CPep would suck there too... Martz's system is notorious for letting the QB get pounded, and CPep couldn't take that mentally... in his heyday in MIN, he played behind a very stout OL that would give him tons of time (and i mean TONS) to drop back and just chuck the deep ball to Moss... He's not fit for a quick passing & timing type O...

i thought about GB too, until i thought of how GB paying CPep to be a backup, but they wouldn't pony up for any starters would look... could you imagine Favre's hissy-fit if they brought CPep in to be his backup and maybe future replacement, but they wouldn't bring in any other offensive FAs??

as for CAR... i may have to kill Jerry Richardson if he even pays for CPep to come here for a visit...

If he hadn't come from the Vikes, that would be an obvious choice. Maybe he regrets leaving the land of 10,000 lakes and will.....................never mind, we don't want him up here!!!! If Minnesota doesn't want/need him, then he is really in trouble since there may not be a worse quarterback situation than theirs!!!

I have a different thought on the Chicago possibility. I think for Chicago to beat an AFC team in the Superbowl they will need more offensive firepower. Culpepper can do that with his arm.

Either kickass or god awful? Sounds like Grossman. Strong arm? Sounds like Grossman.

I disagree with you both. The Bears got to the Super Bowl with an inconsistent QB. Could they have used a more consistent QB in the Super Bowl? Yes, but they could have used less rain, better defense, and a lot of other things as well. IMO the Bears don't necessarily need a different style at QB, they just need a better player. But Grossman is better than Culpepper. There are a lot of QBs in the league who could help the Bears, but Daunte isn't one of them.

Best fit I have heard so far in this thread is Jacksonville. It seems like the Jags are about ready to move away from both Leftwich and Garrard. And they've got good receiving RBs/TEs which I think is healthy for Daunte, he kept his completion % up in Minnesota by throwing a lot of dinks and a few long balls, with less success on the in-between stuff.

PFT says Jax has an interest in him.

I'd say logically that Jax, Minn, or ATL would be his best suitors.

Also, it would be very ironic if he winds up in ATL, if Vick is out of course, and then starts over Joey Harrington...again...

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

:thumbsdown:

Anothuh brothuh's gotta head north!!

:dunno:

Being only six hours from Minneapolis, Winnipeggers have probably seen a fair bit of Culpepper, and the Bombers DO need a quarterback.... :D