Sign in to follow this  
bubba franks

Fred Thompson - the new hope for conservatives

Here's the meat of the article though....Non-story.

"Senator Thompson is pro-life. He has been consistently pro-life throughout his career, having been endorsed by National Right to Life and having a 100 percent pro-life voting record while in the Senate," Thompson spokesman Mark Corallo said in a written response to questions.

"As the senator has said publicly, he does not support a constitutional amendment banning abortion for the same reasons he believes Roe v. Wade (the 1973 Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion) should be overturned — though in that case he believes it is both bad law and bad science."

In his eight years in the Senate, Thompson's abortion votes were mostly on issues such as federal funding and research and did not directly address the kinds of questions the surveys asked.

He did vote in four separate years to ban so-called "partial birth abortion" procedures.

Roe was 'wrong decision'

Thompson most recently discussed his abortion views on Fox News after Tuesday's New Hampshire Republican presidential candidate debate.

"I've always thought that Roe v. Wade was a wrong decision," Thompson said, "that they usurped what had been the law in this country for 200 years, that it was a matter that should go back to the states. When you get back to the states, I think the states should have some leeway."

Corallo said Thompson's position on abortion stems from a fundamental belief that the power to decide such matters should lie with individual states. "He has been consistent in that position throughout his career."

'Record trumps rhetoric'

Thompson himself appears befuddled over how views expressed in the early 1990s came to be characterized as advocating abortion rights.

"Although I don't remember it, I must have said something to someone as I was getting

my campaign started that led to a story," Thompson was quoted as saying in an April article in the conservative political magazine Weekly Standard. "Apparently, another story was based upon that story, and another was based upon that, concluding I was pro-choice."

In a 1996 Tennessean article Thompson acknowledged his role as "an abortion-rights defender in a party with a pro-life tilt" as he headed to the Republican National Convention.

"We need to concentrate on what brings us together and not what divides us," Thompson said in an interview at the time, brushing aside his differences with the GOP's official pro-life stance.

Conservatives like him

Still, conservative groups locally and in Washington that are eyeing Thompson's likely candidacy seem to be giving him an approving nod.

"We look for a demonstrated record of supporting human life, and Fred Thompson certainly has that record," said Brian Harris, president of Tennessee Right to Life.

Evelyn Rodgers, a West Meade Realtor who said she considers the right to life "a basic civil right," said she would be excited to see Thompson enter the race.

"I think there's quite a bit of unease with Rudy Giuliani, who on all other fronts is an appealing candidate, but the fact that he has even supported late-term abortions recently, I would have a difficult time supporting him," she said.

Darla St. Martin, co-executive director of National Right to Life Committee, said she came to Tennessee in 1994 to meet with Thompson. "I eyeballed him and listened" and came away satisfied he was anti-abortion, St. Martin said. "The key is how he voted."

Tony Perkins, president of the influential Family Research Council, said he is confident of Thompson's anti-abortion credentials.

"Record trumps rhetoric," Perkins said.

Here's the meat of the article though....Non-story.

Documents The Tennessean located last week in Thompson's Senate archive at the University of Tennessee show:

• On a 1996 Christian Coalition survey, he checked "opposed" to an amendment to the U.S. Constitution "protecting the sanctity of human life."

• He included a handwritten clarification: "I do not believe abortion should be criminalized. This battle will be won in the hearts and souls of the American people."

:dunno:

"I've always thought that Roe v. Wade was a wrong decision," Thompson said, "that they usurped what had been the law in this country for 200 years, that it was a matter that should go back to the states. When you get back to the states, I think the states should have some leeway."

Corallo said Thompson's position on abortion stems from a fundamental belief that the power to decide such matters should lie with individual states. "He has been consistent in that position throughout his career."

He sounds like that RINO Ron Paul. WTF? Grow a pair and take a stand man.

No republican will get elected president after what Bush has done. He has ruined America.

And he's not even done.

Here is the poll you should be worried about:

The RCP avg Thompson vs. Hillary has Thompson within 6 points of Hillary.

AND HE ISN'T EVEN A CANDIDATE YET!!!! :dunno: ;) :banana:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/20...-266.html#polls

Wow! He's only down 6 points to a candidate that 50% of America said they'll never vote for....Impressive!

On a side note, NARAL's gotta be loving the idea of Thompson v. Hillary.

They're gettin skeerd. ;) Just wait till he enters.

I'm sure democrats are shaking in their boots about a candidate that no one can provide one reason as to why he should be POTUS (other than his being an actor and his not being Hillary). Woo.....

I'm sure democrats are shaking in their boots about a candidate that no one can provide one reason as to why he should be POTUS (other than his being an actor and his not being Hillary). Woo.....

I could, but you wouldnt listen because you are obviously a phucking retard from your posts. We'll revisit this post in a few months, you can count on it. Now go sniff your glue or smoke your meth, whatever the phuck you idiot kids do these days.

I could, but you wouldnt listen because you are obviously a phucking retard from your posts. We'll revisit this post in a few months, you can count on it. Now go sniff your glue or smoke your meth, whatever the phuck you idiot kids do these days.

How old are you? 12 fockin years old?

If you can't offer a reason justifying his candidacy why are you so excited about his running for POTUS?

As for a few months from now, I'll be surprised if he's still in the primary.

Fred Thompson has 4 times the amount of experience as a senator as Barack Obama.

If there were a Republican who believed in fiscal responsibility and who believed that abortion should not be messed with, then I would vote for them. One of the biggest problems I have had with the Republican party in recent years has been:

- they put GWB out there ('nuff said)

- they have pandered to the Religious right

- they have gone away from all fiscal responsibility

Given that the Dems have not done much better, it has been votes on the lesser of two evils for far too long.

- they have gone away from all fiscal responsibility

Given that the Dems have not done much better, it has been votes on the lesser of two evils for far too long.

There's my one and only reason to oppose a lot that the Republicans have done recently.

:lol:

They actually should be if you think about it. You just confirmed such before stating that 50% of the country wouldn't vote for Hillary. How do the Democrats expect to win this election then?

:lol:

Given the fact he is within 6 points and he isn't even a candidate yet, and the fact it really doesn't matter who the Reps nominate if Hitlery is the Dewit choice, your demwit boots should be doing the twist. :banana: :banana: :banana:

How old are you? 12 fockin years old?

If you can't offer a reason justifying his candidacy why are you so excited about his running for POTUS?

:rolleyes:

As for a few months from now, I'll be surprised if he's still in the primary.

Search function Sherlock.

your demwit boots

Who said I was a democrat? :lol:

Fred Thompson has 4 times the amount of experience as a senator as Barack Obama.

Whats that got to do with the price of chicken in Bulgaria? :rolleyes:

Who said I was a democrat? :lol:

Whats that got to do with the price of chicken in Bulgaria? :rolleyes:

Why arent you asking what makes Obama presidential material? Not a Dim, ha.

Why arent you asking what makes Obama presidential material? Not a Dim, ha.

This isn't a Barack Obama thread. Duh. :rolleyes:

Also, don't bother asking any questions until you answer the one I posed to you.

OK its been a few months. So, that Fred Thompson guy has the nomination wrapped up, right? :overhead:

No republican will get elected president after what Bush has done. He has ruined America.

You are forgetting about the GOP's secret weapon which is the Demoncrats will nominate the worst possible candidate.

You are forgetting about the GOP's secret weapon which is the Demoncrats will nominate the worst possible candidate.

So the best GOP candidate anyone could find in 2000 was George Bush. :banana:

So the best GOP candidate anyone could find in 2000 was George Bush. :thumbsdown:

No. Not at all. I said the GOP's secret weapon is the demoncrats themselves, always nominating the worst possible candidate.

Reading......catch it.

So the best GOP candidate anyone could find in 2000 was George Bush. :thumbsdown:

The GOP's worst guy > the democrats worst guy

(as far as electability)

The GOP's worst guy > the democrats worst guy

(as far as electability)

I know, just yanking gocolts chain. IMO, electability is by and far the #1 priority of the GOP, issues are a distant second.

My wife and I played a new drinking game tonight. Everytime THompson looks at his notes....DRINK! Needless to say I am now shitehoused.

"Thompson survey said: "I do not believe abortion should be criminalized"

Link

Hilary survey said: "I do not believe the Jews should be allowed to continue living in the Sudetenland." :pointstosky:

Link

C'mon. At least mine was funny. You can manipulate my posts all you want, but bring something better than "I'm a sad, sad man".

Try again. :shocking:

My wife and I played a new drinking game tonight. Everytime THompson looks at his notes....DRINK! Needless to say I am now shitehoused.

I sense a bit of a mancrush here...why else the obsession with Fred?

OK its been a few months. So, that Fred Thompson guy has the nomination wrapped up, right? :overhead:

Why yes, it HAS been a few months. And Bozo promised he's revisit your post after a few months. I'm sure he will be along presently.

C'mon. At least mine was funny. You can manipulate my posts all you want, but bring something better than "I'm a sad, sad man".

Try again. :pointstosky:

A link to a lemon party pic would have been funny. A pile of Holocaust victims is just icky.

A link to a lemon party pic would have been funny. A pile of Holocaust victims is just icky.

Damn, you're right. :pointstosky:

It's all about Rudi. After seeing him a the debate, it's clear to me that this Thompson guy is unelectable, no charisma. And he doesn't have the terrorism experience that my man Rudy G has.