Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

If Priest comes back this year, is it an open battle in KC?

People tend to forget that Priest Holmes was one of the NFL's top three backs prior to his injury. There's an old adage that you don't lose your job due to injury.

If Holmes comes back and wins the job, how high would gamble on drafting a backup, albeit a great one, in Larry Johnson?

with priest's injury history, i'd definitely want to handcuff LJ to him before anyone else scoops him up. maybe the 6th round or so.

People tend to forget that Priest Holmes was one of the NFL's top three backs prior to his injury. There's an old adage that you don't lose your job due to injury.

If Holmes comes back and wins the job, how high would gamble on drafting a backup, albeit a great one, in Larry Johnson?

I did forget all about Priest Homes' great years, just looked up his numbers. Wow, impressive. Danm alcohol.

You'd have to think that age makes Johnson the favorite, but if they're both 100% healthy, it could be a very interesting training camp in Kansas City.

Yeah I agree..... but I wouldn't take LJ with a 6th rounder, maybe a 7th or 8th which is a nice spot to grab a handcuff... Any guy that has been known to "still have the diapers on" I'm not taking before the 7th round :doublethumbsup:

is there any substance to this wild speculation? everything I've read has said that Holmes has not been cleared to practice, much less compete for a starting position.

Seems like this topic is dramatically premature and only serves to speculate about something that's not even a remote possibility. Might as well start a "if Barry Sanders comes back, will he challenge for the DET starting RB job?" topic.

:dunno:

actually, the real question is what round do you draft Julius Jones to be the Padre's backup since LJ is getting traded to DAL....

i'm thinking Priest in the 2nd, JJ in the 6th, MBennett in the 12th...

HTH

:pointstosky:

Are you laughing because you think that Priest should lose his job because of the injury or because you don't think he'll be the same now that he's been injured?

TIA

Are you laughing because you think that Priest should lose his job because of the injury or because you don't think he'll be the same now that he's been injured?

TIA

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

j

..<><......

smells re-chumming of the water...swims away.

:pointstosky:

TIA

ARe you a fool?

Or just a fool trying to act like a bigger fool?

You really have me stumped.

ARe you a fool?

Or just a fool trying to act like a bigger fool?

You really have me stumped.

:unsure:

I've not heard anything in saying Holmes was a) cleared for practice and :unsure: coming back to play for the Chiefs. Even if he was healthy, do you honestly believe he'd have a shot to unseat LJ now that Priest hasn't played in a long time?

I've not heard anything in saying Holmes was a) cleared for practice and B) coming back to play for the Chiefs. Even if he was healthy, do you honestly believe he'd have a shot to unseat LJ now that Priest hasn't played in a long time?

dude. its priest we're talking about here. It's his job to lose. :ninja:

dude. its priest we're talking about here. It's his job to lose. :ninja:

You're funny....

B) :clap:

dude. its priest we're talking about here. It's his job to lose. :cheers:

Well, I certainly don't think it's Priest's to lose, but they would have to make it an open competition.

How quickly we forget that Johnson sat the bench for years because he couldn't beat out Holmes. Holmes was the much better back. That isn't an insult to Johnson. Hell, Priest was better than 95% of the backs in the NFL.

Now, obviously, the questions will be just how fully recovered is he, and, did he lose anything in the year and a half he was off. He's no spring chicken.

Either way, I can't wait til training camp.

:popcorn:

This thread is better than a soap opera... and just as far-fetched. Show me Priest, on a field, with LJ scared, and then MAYBE I'll give the notion some credit.

Well, I certainly don't think it's Priest's to lose, but they would have to make it an open competition.

How quickly we forget that Johnson sat the bench for years because he couldn't beat out Holmes. Holmes was the much better back. That isn't an insult to Johnson. Hell, Priest was better than 95% of the backs in the NFL.

Now, obviously, the questions will be just how fully recovered is he, and, did he lose anything in the year and a half he was off. He's no spring chicken.

Either way, I can't wait til training camp.

:popcorn:

I can't imagine if Priest did come back, he would be the same guy he was before the injuries as he's another 1 1/2 years older and pushing 34 years of age. I don't think if Priest would come back that it would be an open competition. Priest would be the backup unless KC traded LJ before they unsuccessfully tried to negotiate a contract extention with him. I do remember that Priest was the better RB and yes, LJ did ride the bench. However, that was then and this is now.

Even if LJ was traded and Priest did return healthy, if you're KC, could you really have your no. 1 RB pushing 34 coming off of 1 1/2 years of being hurt?

I gotta say, at first when I saw this thread, I thought it was a joke. Initially I thought, LJ is the 2nd best RB in football...he has massed over 4000 yards and a billion TDs over the past couple years, and I couldn't imagine the Chiefs benching him.

And while I still don't think he has any shot to "get benched" it is intriguing when I hear all this talk about Priest's return.

However, even if Priest get cleared to play, proves he is healthy on the field, and still has enough in the tank to be effective...LJ is not going to be a backup. IF Priest somehow overcomes the beforementioned questions...at most the Chiefs will play a RBBC with the two. Priest was an even better receiver out of the backfield than LJ, but LJ is a beast who punishes people...a great #1-#2 punch IF (HUGE IF) Priest can come back healthy and fresh.

Anyone who talks about Larry Johnson in round 6 under any circumstances should please contact me immediately for info on how to join my league.

I gotta say, at first when I saw this thread, I thought it was a joke. Initially I thought, LJ is the 2nd best RB in football...he has massed over 4000 yards and a billion TDs over the past couple years, and I couldn't imagine the Chiefs benching him.

And while I still don't think he has any shot to "get benched" it is intriguing when I hear all this talk about Priest's return.

However, even if Priest get cleared to play, proves he is healthy on the field, and still has enough in the tank to be effective...LJ is not going to be a backup. IF Priest somehow overcomes the beforementioned questions...at most the Chiefs will play a RBBC with the two. Priest was an even better receiver out of the backfield than LJ, but LJ is a beast who punishes people...a great #1-#2 punch IF (HUGE IF) Priest can come back healthy and fresh.

Anyone who talks about Larry Johnson in round 6 under any circumstances should please contact me immediately for info on how to join my league.

This thread is a joke. People are just bored I guess.

HTH

Well, if he ends up being a backup, coupled with the fact that the Chiefs don't really have a quarterback, I'll be curious to see how high people want to gamble on him.

This thread is a joke. People are just bored I guess.

HTH

Post Count Padding 101...

Well, if he ends up being a backup, coupled with the fact that the Chiefs don't really have a quarterback, I'll be curious to see how high people want to gamble on him.

I just can't imagine LJ would be a backup in KC, period.

WOW! Great info. I just updated my RB rankings:

1. LT

2. Priest (I know this seems a little low, but I just don't think you pass on LT at #1)

3. SJax

4. Randy Moss (now in the best offense ever know to the world of football OR futball. And have you seen the NEW attitude??)

5. Brady (more weapons than EVER! I guess the kid in the 3rd row loses his catches this year.)

6. SA

7. Addai

>

>

>

>

33. LJ (I don't like to target back-ups until all the starters are gone).

WOW! Great info. I just updated my RB rankings:

1. LT

2. Priest (I know this seems a little low, but I just don't think you pass on LT at #1)

3. SJax

4. Randy Moss (now in the best offense ever know to the world of football OR futball. And have you seen the NEW attitude??)

5. Brady (more weapons than EVER! I guess the kid in the 3rd row loses his catches this year.)

6. SA

7. Addai

>

>

>

>

33. LJ (I don't like to target back-ups until all the starters are gone).

I also think that putting Priest ahead of SJax is a gamble. Priest didn't finish the last two seasons he played. I have him at top five, but no higher.

95 % of the Rb's in the league weren't running behind a top 5 offensive line of ALL -TIME !!!!!!!! Priest was great and followed his blocks like no other, but I honestly believe 10 or so RB's during that time could have put up the same numbers if they got the touches he got running behind a Pro Bowl FB and 5 golf carts paving the way

HTH :dunno:

I also think that putting Priest ahead of SJax is a gamble. Priest didn't finish the last two seasons he played. I have him at top five, but no higher.

I seriously hope this thread about Priest isn't a joke but if it is, it doesn't surprise me.

With Henry firmly entrenched in Denver, any chance the Bronco's trade the rights to Terrell Davis to the Chiefs? There is a lot of tread on those tires. He could be huge again behind that line! My vote for comeback player of the year, right there. Mark it down!

Oh, it's no joke.

How can he possibly think Priest would come back and be the RB he was before his injuries? I just don't get it.

How can he possibly think Priest would come back and be the RB he was before his injuries? I just don't get it.

I don't think anyone has said they think he will be the back he was, but what if he did fully recover?

The bottom line is, he has not announced his retirement. People are making jokes about Terrell Davis coming back, but he was an entirely different case. He had a degenerate knee condition and announced his retirement. Priest simply got hurt and Johnson started playing.

Maybe Priest will end up retiring, who knows? Fact is, he hasn't and is still on the Chiefs roster. Hypothetically speaking, if he returns like he was at teh start of 2005, he is the better back. LJ owners (or perspective owners) should keep their eyes on the KC training camp news before possibly wasting a first round pick for a backup of split-time player.