Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

If Priest comes back this year, is it an open battle in KC?

I don't think anyone has said they think he will be the back he was, but what if he did fully recover?

The bottom line is, he has not announced his retirement. People are making jokes about Terrell Davis coming back, but he was an entirely different case. He had a degenerate knee condition and announced his retirement. Priest simply got hurt and Johnson started playing.

Maybe Priest will end up retiring, who knows? Fact is, he hasn't and is still on the Chiefs roster. Hypothetically speaking, if he returns like he was at teh start of 2005, he is the better back. LJ owners (or perspective owners) should keep their eyes on the KC training camp news before possibly wasting a first round pick for a backup of split-time player.

As I've stated earlier, even if Priest comes back healthy, do you honestly believe he'll compete with LJ and possibly win the job at his age? I believe Priest's time has come and gone. He was a great player and I'll never forget how he helped me win my only title in 2002, but to expect him to come back and be the player he was after being away from the game for a year and a half seems to be a little unrealistic to me.

Sure Priest could come back healthy and perhaps get some playing time, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see that happen. Do I think it will happen? Probably not but then again, who knows....

Look, I can understand how you feel about this and that's fine, I respect your opinion. In my view, great players at Priest's age don't just miss a year and a half and be the same player they were before.

I pick at No. 4, if LJ's there I'm taking him. I'll just handcuff him with Priest in round two.

Doesn't matter anyways, cause Priest would be our Marcus Allen (he always had a nack for getting in the end zone), and then he'd be in for 3rd down passing situations. He's a better pass blocker than Larry and also catches the ball better.

:mad:

LJ: 375 rushes, 1675 yards, 420 receiving, 12 TDs

Priest: 120 rushes, 800 rushing, 800 receiving (and you were all wondering who our receiver that was gonna step up was gonna be), 16 TDs :shocking: :shocking:

Michael Bennett: 650 combined yards, 4 TDs

:doh:

also dont draft medlock, 32 TDs simply from the RBS will mean a lot of short opportunities for the rook (I'm talkin 12 yarders) :banana:

i dont think priest has played a game under his new contract, and I believe the chiefs might ask for some of that money back if he never sees the field again. Might be incentive for him to suit up <_<

Holmes suffered a severe neck injury in week 7 of 2005....he will never play again!

Here's an exerpt from an article in a San Antonio newspaper:

The Chiefs have invited Priest Holmes (neck) to training camp.

Holmes recently had a sit-down with Chiefs GM Carl Peterson, and was told that "the key is underneath the mat whenever you are ready to return." Holmes has ruled out playing for any team besides Kansas City.

Definitely going to be an interesting Fantasy season in Kansas City.

Personally, I'd like to see Holmes beat him out again. Holmes is a very personable guy, unlike Johnson.

My prediction:

Holmes 850 yds. 10 TDs

Johnson 775 yds. 7 TDs

I would imagine that, at a bare minimum, they would want to have Holmes ready to take the reigns if LJ were to sit out. He has been threatening to sit out unless he gets a new deal and this would only make sense. Add in the fact that LJ wants to have his carries somewhat reduced to give him some longevity, KC would have to want to have Holmes back there instead of the other crap that they have on the roster.

I would definitely be handcuffing with Holmes early. Otherwise, you are taking a huge risk.

I would imagine that, at a bare minimum, they would want to have Holmes ready to take the reigns if LJ were to sit out. He has been threatening to sit out unless he gets a new deal and this would only make sense. Add in the fact that LJ wants to have his carries somewhat reduced to give him some longevity, KC would have to want to have Holmes back there instead of the other crap that they have on the roster.

I would definitely be handcuffing with Holmes early. Otherwise, you are taking a huge risk.

bennett is not crap though, and no one has seen what kolbe can do yet. I heard he was a pretty good back in college.

if i were drafting for a league that allowed a bench of like 12-15 guys, then maybe i'd take Priest just on a flyer... but i'd probably be just as likely to spend one on RW too...

the bad news about Priest is that it was a neck injury, but the good news was that it was NOT his legs/knees. So he could have potentially kept training and never really lost a step and not have taken the abuse...

i don't think even if he does come back that he would be 100% of what he was - i'm thinking 85% at best.

but the KC O isn't the same either, so that would be another limiting factor... and how would Herm use him as compared to Vermeil?? two completely different coaching styles...

if i were drafting for a league that allowed a bench of like 12-15 guys, then maybe i'd take Priest just on a flyer... but i'd probably be just as likely to spend one on RW too...

the bad news about Priest is that it was a neck injury, but the good news was that it was NOT his legs/knees. So he could have potentially kept training and never really lost a step and not have taken the abuse...

Good post.

The fact that it was a neck injury is scary stuff, but the fact that doctors have given him the green light to come back tells me that he must be completely healed. Doctors generally err on the side of caution when it comes to nuerological issues. If the doctors felt he could suffer some long term damage by returning, he wouldn't be having meetings with Carl Peterson about coming back. :thumbsup:

Priest may be getting a little long in the tooth, but for a RB his age, he doesn't have that many miles on his tires. The workload a RB gets means more than chronologic age. Unlike LJ who had like 800 carries last year, those legs should be fresh. I'm just sayin'. :dunno:

LOL, are you kidding man? Priest is done. And even if he did attempt a comeback, he would be battling for the backup job, not LJ's job....

LOL, are you kidding man? Priest is done. And even if he did attempt a comeback, he would be battling for the backup job, not LJ's job....

Why is that? :thumbsdown:

Johnson sat on his ass for three years because he wasn't good enough to beat out Holmes.

Keep in mind that he never did beat him out. He moved into the slot because Priest got hurt.

I'm not saying that Holmes is automatically awarded starter-status when he comes back, but to think that Johnson suddenly got better than a healthy Holmes is kind of naive.

That's why I'm hoping Holmes is fully healthy. It should be a great battle. We could have another Denver RB situation. Two great players who their fantasy owners won't know, from week to week, if they're getting 25 carries or 10.

My only question is in Carolina, Fred Lane is reanimating as a zombie monster. That coupled with his previous speed leads me to believe top 5 stats, is there enough wealth for Foster and Williams? will one get traded?

My only question is in Carolina, Fred Lane is reanimating as a zombie monster. That coupled with his previous speed leads me to believe top 5 stats, is there enough wealth for Foster and Williams? will one get traded?

You're comparing dead against 33 years old with a clean bill of health? :mad:

Now why do you think a 34 year old, out of football for a year and whatever, would take or share carries from one of the best backs in the league? Because of what he did 2 and 3 years ago? Thats foolish....................... and this thread is foolish.

:blink:

I've been trying to tell NewbieJR about Holmes being 34 and all of a sudden he's back to his old form before he got hurt but I believe he's choosing not to listen and that's his choice. Holmes may indeed come back but for NewbieJR to seriously expect him to share carries with LJ unless one of the things you mentioned happens at this point is not realisitic in my opinion. I'd love to see Priest healthy and be the dominant RB he was before he got hurt, but let's face it; the chances of that happening are about as slim as Trump sending Rosie a Christmas card.

I've been trying to tell NewbieJR about Holmes being 34 and all of a sudden he's back to his old form before he got hurt but I believe he's choosing not to listen and that's his choice. Holmes may indeed come back but for NewbieJR to seriously expect him to share carries with LJ unless one of the things you mentioned happens at this point is not realisitic in my opinion. I'd love to see Priest healthy and be the dominant RB he was before he got hurt, but let's face it; the chances of that happening are about as slim as Trump sending Rosie a Christmas card.

Well, first off, wouldn't that really amount to Trump's lackeys sending Rosie's lackeys a Christmas card? I mean, these people obviously don't do ANYTHING themselves. It's unlikely either of the two would ever know a card was even exchanged, lol. Maybe the fact would be noted in a memo, at best.

Anyway, I hope that KC totally plays this angle up, and convinces everyone that old man Holmes can beat LJ for the job. I also hope I'm drafting in a huge money league with a bunch of guys like NewbieJR, so someone will waste an early pick handcuffing Priest Holmes, or so maybe LJ will fall to me in the 2nd rd somewhere. Seriously, I'm not going to try to make people understand - I'm just going to enjoy the ridiculous hype machine, and hope that its machinations bring me LJ at some absolutely ridiculous spot in the draft.

Although I'll agree with you to some extent, you have to admit that a bit of history is on Newbie's side. Even recent history. Everybody said TO couldn't play in the Super Bowl because he had a bunch of screws in his leg and he wasn't healed. We all saw him blow up and nearly win the damn game, single handedly. Also, look at Teddy Bruschi. He had a stroke and looked like he was retarded for a while and he came back from that. Football players are tough. The Chiefs say the door is open. The doctors have cleared Priest to play. IPriest hasn't ruled it out. I certainly wouldn't take Priest with my second pick, like some of these crazies. I want them in my league. But he does have value. Once I get all my starters and my defense and maybe one backup WR, I think I take Priest if I got LJ in round one. Just in case he does come back and LJ gets hurt.

Although I'll agree with you to some extent, you have to admit that a bit of history is on Newbie's side. Even recent history. Everybody said TO couldn't play in the Super Bowl because he had a bunch of screws in his leg and he wasn't healed. We all saw him blow up and nearly win the damn game, single handedly. Also, look at Teddy Bruschi. He had a stroke and looked like he was retarded for a while and he came back from that. Football players are tough. The Chiefs say the door is open. The doctors have cleared Priest to play. IPriest hasn't ruled it out. I certainly wouldn't take Priest with my second pick, like some of these crazies. I want them in my league. But he does have value. Once I get all my starters and my defense and maybe one backup WR, I think I take Priest if I got LJ in round one. Just in case he does come back and LJ gets hurt.

I don't disagree with Newbie as far as recent history is concerned with TO and Bruschi. If Priest wants to come back and play, by all means he should try and do that. I have no problem with that whatsoever. Assuming Priest comes back and makes the team, sure he would then have value as he would most likely be ahead of Bennett and anyone else backing up LJ. I want to see him come back and play for myself before I say he has any kind of value. To sit here and say he'll be close to what he was before he got hurt, in my view, just isn't realistic at this time.

Well, first off, wouldn't that really amount to Trump's lackeys sending Rosie's lackeys a Christmas card? I mean, these people obviously don't do ANYTHING themselves. It's unlikely either of the two would ever know a card was even exchanged, lol. Maybe the fact would be noted in a memo, at best.

Anyway, I hope that KC totally plays this angle up, and convinces everyone that old man Holmes can beat LJ for the job. I also hope I'm drafting in a huge money league with a bunch of guys like NewbieJR, so someone will waste an early pick handcuffing Priest Holmes, or so maybe LJ will fall to me in the 2nd rd somewhere. Seriously, I'm not going to try to make people understand - I'm just going to enjoy the ridiculous hype machine, and hope that its machinations bring me LJ at some absolutely ridiculous spot in the draft.

It'll be interesting to see how many people will "buy" into the Priest hype machine. At this point, I'm at the wait and see stage with Priest. As I stated in an earlier post, if Priest does come back and play, I will make a determination as to what his value is and go from there. I believe most, if not everyone would say LJ is the starter and Priest does return, he'll most likely be the backup unless LJ holds out, traded or gets hurt and leave it at that.