Sign in to follow this  
deejsixer

DirecTV Sunday Ticket Deals

Every year I call up DirecTV and ###### about the price of my service and they throw a deal at me to stay. This year all I got was the package for $250 and the superfan package at no charge. Last year I got a better deal but I cannot remember what.

Has anyone cut any good deals yet. If not, get on the phone! You should also upgrade your dish and HD receivers before the season starts!

I called and said, this thing is getting really pricey. Even though I've gotten it for 8 years, I think I'm going to have to cancel.

They said, OK.

I called and said, this thing is getting really pricey. Even though I've gotten it for 8 years, I think I'm going to have to cancel.

They said, OK.

This is DirectTV at it's finest. If they didn't have exclusive rights to the Sunday Ticket, they'd be out of business

One of my friends called and complained and they gave him $10 off his bill each month for the next year.

Another friend called and they gave him a $100 off the package and SuperFan for free.

When I called I said...

...this thing is getting really pricey. Even though I've gotten it for 8 years, I think I'm going to have to cancel.

They said, OK.

:shocking:

I called back two days later and complained again and straight up asked for something. They gave me $10 off for the next six months to "help offset the raise in price".

I guess it's better than a stick in the eye... :dunno:

One of my friends called and complained and they gave him $10 off his bill each month for the next year.

Another friend called and they gave him a $100 off the package and SuperFan for free.

When I called I said...

:shocking:

I called back two days later and complained again and straight up asked for something. They gave me $10 off for the next six months to "help offset the raise in price".

I guess it's better than a stick in the eye... :dunno:

I actually got poked in the eye with a stick a few weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I went online and changed my package and got the ticket for free even though I have had it since 97. Had to pay for Super Fan package.

Anybody here ever hear of "Free to Air" Satellite? A friend of mine just bought a satellite box/dish, which is Dish Network. Anyhow, he hooks it up, following the instructions given to him, and bingo, he has over 800+ channels, including PPV, etc., etc. for FREE. I have had Sunday Ticket for years, and I thought to myself, I wonder if &*$# gets the local feed for let's say a Steeler vs. Browns game? Yep, my buddy has ALL of the local CBS & FOX affiliates ALL OVER the US on his satellite.........Same place that Direct TV gets their feed! I have read in some places that this "Free to Air" is legal if you own your own equipment. I refuse to pay for Sunday Ticket this year, however, I will be cruising over to my buddies to watch the games on his tube. :angry:

From what I have read, all you get is a bunch of foreign language and Mormon Stations. Doesn't sound like it's worth the $500 to get the receiver. Is it possible your buddy has a bootleg card?

HD receivers are not $500, they are free.
Please explain ow they are free....my old original DST3000 doesn't have HDMI, it looks great, but I can't use my HDMI switcher.

Call them up and explain you have the old receiver, which will not be compatible in 6 months, and they will replace it with a new model. Also ask them for the new 5 prong dish that you need to get locals in HD, this kit comes with a new HD receiver. It's all free

Call them up and explain you have the old receiver, which will not be compatible in 6 months, and they will replace it with a new model. Also ask them for the new 5 prong dish that you need to get locals in HD, this kit comes with a new HD receiver. It's all free
I'm not a yearly subscriber with any commitments of their Regular programming, just the Sunday Ticket, alacarte.

They (CSR on the phone) explained to me that I will get every HD game, just like last year, with the equipment I have now. I suppose I could try another CSR and see what they say. I want HDMI.

My angle was an angry wife that just wanted to go back to cable because I was going to spend $300.00 + on the ticket. Immediately gave me the super fan for free, I didnt even ask for that, I said thats nice but that doesnt relly matter because I didn't even have it last year. Then she said she could take off $60 from the ticket price and I said that probably isn't going to make her happy and I am probably going to have to cancel my whole service (of course I wasnt actually going to cancel), put me on hold and came back with 10 bucks off for 6 months. Chatted about some other packages (I had the most expensive one at the time) I cut down to just hbo and at the end of the conversation she threw in 3 months of free showtime. So I got it for about half price and the super fan for free, it was a really nice conversation actually. I have did this spiel the last two years and got money off every time, it costs them alot to hook up new customers so they try and keep the ones they have.

Anybody here ever hear of "Free to Air" Satellite? A friend of mine just bought a satellite box/dish, which is Dish Network. Anyhow, he hooks it up, following the instructions given to him, and bingo, he has over 800+ channels, including PPV, etc., etc. for FREE. I have had Sunday Ticket for years, and I thought to myself, I wonder if &*$# gets the local feed for let's say a Steeler vs. Browns game? Yep, my buddy has ALL of the local CBS & FOX affiliates ALL OVER the US on his satellite.........Same place that Direct TV gets their feed! I have read in some places that this "Free to Air" is legal if you own your own equipment. I refuse to pay for Sunday Ticket this year, however, I will be cruising over to my buddies to watch the games on his tube. :banana:

Do you have any more information on how this works exactly? I have never heard of this but it sounds like something I'd definitely be interested in. I'm moving from Ohio into an apartment complex in LA that comes with Dish Network. Can I receive these channels by doing something with the receiver itself or do you need to re-position the satellite dish? I would love to get all of the CBS & FOX stations on Sundays...especially for those Browns/Steelers games.

I canceled 3 yrs ago when it really started to go up...don't even miss it. :thumbsup:

No way I'd pay today's rates. :banana:

I have Choice, Starz, HBO and locals for $80 (tax, title and license).

Guess I can't complain...for years they never raised rates but have spiked a few times over the last 3 yrs.

I'm not a yearly subscriber with any commitments of their Regular programming, just the Sunday Ticket, alacarte.

They (CSR on the phone) explained to me that I will get every HD game, just like last year, with the equipment I have now. I suppose I could try another CSR and see what they say. I want HDMI.

I was wondering if you could do that. Every thing I've seen has them wanting a two year commitment. Able to provide some details on what you're getting and paying for the alacarte Sunday Ticket? Is this something they openly offer to everyone?

I was wondering if you could do that. Every thing I've seen has them wanting a two year commitment. Able to provide some details on what you're getting and paying for the alacarte Sunday Ticket? Is this something they openly offer to everyone?

pretty sure you have to be grandfathered in now to get that deal.

pretty sure you have to be grandfathered in now to get that deal.
Grandfathered is the key...but I'm not that old of a subscriber...I only DirecTv for 1 year in 2002, then cancelled, then started writing my own cards, then moved, and they gave me just the Ticket as I told them I was a previous subscriber and asked over and over and over. Now it just repeats every year....I just need to tell them when to bring me out of suspension.

The CSR reps don't treat me as nice as when I was a subscriber, that's why they won't give me a free HD receiver, I'm only giving them $250 /year.

Even better, that splits in half between me and my best friend.....he has a dish and an HD receiver, and he's my "Basement TV" on my account !

But I would pay alot more....cause if you see my SIG, NFL-HD is the single greatest reason 16 glorious Sundays) why I'm building my Theater, and why I spend so much money in this HD hobby (since 2002). (PGAHD is preety cool too, not mention I lke movies, but NFL is at the top by far).

Anybody here ever hear of "Free to Air" Satellite? A friend of mine just bought a satellite box/dish, which is Dish Network. Anyhow, he hooks it up, following the instructions given to him, and bingo, he has over 800+ channels, including PPV, etc., etc. for FREE. I have had Sunday Ticket for years, and I thought to myself, I wonder if &*$# gets the local feed for let's say a Steeler vs. Browns game? Yep, my buddy has ALL of the local CBS & FOX affiliates ALL OVER the US on his satellite.........Same place that Direct TV gets their feed! I have read in some places that this "Free to Air" is legal if you own your own equipment. I refuse to pay for Sunday Ticket this year, however, I will be cruising over to my buddies to watch the games on his tube. ;)

Don't just write this garbly-gook. Explain it. What the fock do you mean "free to air"? Following what instructions?

Grandfathered is the key...but I'm not that old of a subscriber...I only DirecTv for 1 year in 2002, then cancelled, then started writing my own cards, then moved, and they gave me just the Ticket as I told them I was a previous subscriber and asked over and over and over. Now it just repeats every year....I just need to tell them when to bring me out of suspension.

The CSR reps don't treat me as nice as when I was a subscriber, that's why they won't give me a free HD receiver, I'm only giving them $250 /year.

Even better, that splits in half between me and my best friend.....he has a dish and an HD receiver, and he's my "Basement TV" on my account !

But I would pay alot more....cause if you see my SIG, NFL-HD is the single greatest reason 16 glorious Sundays) why I'm building my Theater, and why I spend so much money in this HD hobby (since 2002). (PGAHD is preety cool too, not mention I lke movies, but NFL is at the top by far).

Nice work on the Thunderdeck so far, George. Enjoy it! I'll gladly fly you out to KC next year when I begin working on mine. :thumbsup:

I've used this trick too many times and they told me at the end of last year no new discounts for a year because I'm abusing it. The thing is, I was only asking for discounts as retribution for their screw ups...I'm talking about bad receivers, techs not showing up when they're supposed to, getting charged for the wrong things etc...Directv totally pisses me off when I used to love it...now the customer service sucks and they price gouge you to death because they have exclusivity on Sunday Ticket. I did get Superfan for free due to an e-mail offer but thats it.

Anybody know when their contract with the NFL is up?

I've used this trick too many times and they told me at the end of last year no new discounts for a year because I'm abusing it. The thing is, I was only asking for discounts as retribution for their screw ups...I'm talking about bad receivers, techs not showing up when they're supposed to, getting charged for the wrong things etc...Directv totally pisses me off when I used to love it...now the customer service sucks and they price gouge you to death because they have exclusivity on Sunday Ticket. I did get Superfan for free due to an e-mail offer but thats it.

Anybody know when their contract with the NFL is up?

It's a tip that their Customer Service has always sucked.

It's a tip that their Customer Service has always sucked.

I disagree...especially in comparison to the cable companies I've gone through. But now I think its deteriorated to the point where its hard to get someone to help you efficiently and effectively.

Nice work on the Thunderdeck so far, George. Enjoy it! I'll gladly fly you out to KC next year when I begin working on mine. :ninja:
Thanks for the kind words...

You're on your own...if you see the first post date, it's March, I actually started in Feb.....so it's been a long road. With 2 kids, it's tough finding time, and I needed to spread the costs out over 6 months ! After carpet and Projector it will be around $4,000, but it doesn't seem that much.

And when I'm done...it's feet up on a coffee table for 17 weeks (plus playoffs). :ninja:

But I showed you AVS where I got most of my ideas.

Don't just write this garbly-gook. Explain it. What the fock do you mean "free to air"? Following what instructions?

Sorry guys, I have been busy and haven't checked in since my last post. This is the deal......Free to air consists of buying your own satellite receiver, Dish (If you have DishNetwork, there dish will work), and the ability to properly position the dish in a specific manner so that you can watch the programming of your choice. For instance, if you screw up and point your dish towards Afghanistan, guess what? You get to watch AlJazera TV! Here is where the internet comes into play.....There are SEVERAL sights & forums that give more than enough information to get your equipment working properly.

The obvious question is......."Isn't this illegal"? I have done a ton of research to see if, in fact, this is illegal. The answer is no, this is not illegal, you cannot be charged for "Air" if your equipment is owned by you and on your property. (I am a total law abiding goober, but, I must say that even if this was a grey area, I could care less because I am sick and tired of paying these disgusting prices to watch my friggin TV!)

Here is how easy my friends installation went...

1. He bought his satellite receiver (Viewsat is the brand name that he bought) and a 30" Dish Network Dish.

2. He installed the dish and receiver by himself, followed the instructions give to him by downloading specific bin files from the companys website, than uploaded them into his receiver. BINGO! My friend now has over 800 channels, including PPV(Including "Spanktravision), HBO, SHowtime, etc., etc.

3. Here is the "Sunday Ticket" connection.....Where do the folks at Sunday Ticket get their feeds on Sunday?? Yep, FOX and CBS. Let's say for instance, my buddy wants to watch the Steelers-Browns game that is not televised in our local market, well, he just goes to either FOX affiliate that is showing the game, whether it is the FOX affiliate in Cleveland or the one in Pittsburgh. It is truly that easy. FYI, Every single affiliate that you could possibly imagine is acessible.

4. Here are the "Negatives" regarding Free to Air: You must be fairly computer literate because you will need to download/upload new bin files on occasion (about every 6-7 months) when the old bin files are expired. When the bin files "Go Down", it normally takes less than 24 hours to acquire the new file and down/upload it. Some companies will charge as much as $100 for a new bin file, but, the internet is a beautiful thing and, once again, the forums I mentioned before have the new bin files for free. You just need to be resourceful. 800+ channels for free and a little tiny bit of work every 6-7 months to keep it up and running? I think the trade off is more than fair.

My friend has had his running for quite some time now, and it is amazing. No Bill every month and 800+ channels, including PPV, the same affiliates that Sunday Ticket uses, etc., etc.

There you go, I think I have described it pretty good. Feel free to peruse the internet, but, be careful of the sites that will try to scare you and tell you that Free to Air is illegal, they are sponsored/owned by Dish Network and DirectTV, they don't want people to know about Free to Air, because they will go belly up in no time. Read the actual laws that are in place and you will see what we have found to be legal. If anyone wants to correct something that I have said, please feel free, I am always willing to listen/learn.

Here is how easy my friends installation went...

1. He bought his satellite receiver (Viewsat is the brand name that he bought) and a 30" Dish Network Dish.

How much does the receiver and dish cost?

I think this "hobby" is Cband ???? and HD equipment doesn't exist, so it's like watching TV in the 80s....free, but you get what you pay for.

This is DirectTV at it's finest. If they didn't have exclusive rights to the Sunday Ticket, they'd be out of business

Dish Network is seriously 10 times better than Direct TV. I feel bad for people that have direct TV just because of the sunday ticket? There are so many bars and places you can watch all the games at the same time, not just one game in your living room. It's unfortunate how many suckers there are in this world.

Dish Network is seriously 10 times better than Direct TV. I feel bad for people that have direct TV just because of the sunday ticket? There are so many bars and places you can watch all the games at the same time, not just one game in your living room. It's unfortunate how many suckers there are in this world.

I've had Dish network in the past and I hated it. There are no advantages and the customer service sucks. I have an entertainment wall with a 50 inch plasma surrounded by five 27inch LCDs and I can watch all the games at once. Much better than the Bar. My buddies come over every sunday and we watch games all day. My wife loves it because I'm not at the bar all day, my kids love it because I'm around all day. My son and I go play catch with the football at halftime, and I have dinner with my family mduring halftime of the late game. Only Directv allows me to do this. I love it! How does that make me a sucker?

I went online and changed my package and got the ticket for free even though I have had it since 97. Had to pay for Super Fan package.

What package did you change from and to? I just called trying to get a break off the price or the superfan package thrown in , got pissed off at the guy and cancelled the whole thing :overhead: That is what I get for having irrational anger issues.

why is that? I thought they were pretty close in price no? What makes them 10x better? just curious....

My 1st year of Sunday Ticket was free because i was a new subscriber.I love it.This year i ran into some financial troubles and could'nt get it because it is pretty expensive.So I figured I'd call them and complain about some of the problems I had with it over the year.After talking to 3 reps. i finally got the package for a grand total of $70. :thumbsup: This will be split up over a seven month period on my bill.I just don't know if I got superfan for free too? Is there a way for me to tell?

My 1st year of Sunday Ticket was free because i was a new subscriber.I love it.This year i ran into some financial troubles and could'nt get it because it is pretty expensive.So I figured I'd call them and complain about some of the problems I had with it over the year.After talking to 3 reps. i finally got the package for a grand total of $70. :overhead: This will be split up over a seven month period on my bill.I just don't know if I got superfan for free too? Is there a way for me to tell?

If you're getting Superfan it should say it on your bill. My Superfan was free but it still shows up on my bill as something I subscribe to.

I have an entertainment wall with a 50 inch plasma surrounded by five 27inch LCDs and I can watch all the games at once.

of COURSE you do. :overhead:

I think this "hobby" is Cband ???? and HD equipment doesn't exist, so it's like watching TV in the 80s....free, but you get what you pay for.

With all due respect, the answer to your two comments are that you are wrong twice. If you are referring to High Definition equipment that can be used, it is out right now. Does my friend have the high def receiver? No, he has the digital receiver which works awesome.

As far as the, "It's like watching TV in the 80's" comment.....Huh? The same exact feed that you or anyone else gets on their satellite is the same feed that my friend gets. (I won't be complaining when we are watching PPV and all of the NFL games for free in a month or so)

Another person asked about the cost of the equipment. A decent receiver will cost around $150 - $250 + a 30" dish , which will cost around $60. The key is to make sure that the dish and satellite positioning is perfect, which is solved by buying a Satellite signal gauge at Radio Shack for $10.00. That is about it for fees. If people only knew how easy this really is.......

I had rabbit ears on my television until my g/f moved in a year ago and demanded that I get regular cable. I now get three games on Sunday afternoon, one Sunday night game, and one Monday night game. Any game I don't get I can watch on the internet for free.

Yes, I'm a cheap bastard. :cheers:

of COURSE you do. :pointstosky:

Still waiting on why you feel Dish Network is 10x better. My dad has Dish Network and although it has improved, he couldn't even get the Indians games (lives in northeast Ohio) 3 or 4 years ago.

And I don't know if that guy has all that equipment or not but I watch NFL Sunday Ticket in Hi Def on my 61 inch tv and on 2 standard definition smaller tvs that I pull in from other rooms. I would much rather watch all these games from my comfortable couch rather than heading to a bar every Sunday where I'd end up spending even more money than I do on Sunday Ticket.

If you're getting Superfan it should say it on your bill. My Superfan was free but it still shows up on my bill as something I subscribe to.
Thanks,Ill do that.

With all due respect, the answer to your two comments are that you are wrong twice. If you are referring to High Definition equipment that can be used, it is out right now. Does my friend have the high def receiver? No, he has the digital receiver which works awesome.

As far as the, "It's like watching TV in the 80's" comment.....Huh? The same exact feed that you or anyone else gets on their satellite is the same feed that my friend gets. (I won't be complaining when we are watching PPV and all of the NFL games for free in a month or so)

Another person asked about the cost of the equipment. A decent receiver will cost around $150 - $250 + a 30" dish , which will cost around $60. The key is to make sure that the dish and satellite positioning is perfect, which is solved by buying a Satellite signal gauge at Radio Shack for $10.00. That is about it for fees. If people only knew how easy this really is.......

I put question marks cause I didn't know, and it sounds like you don't 100% know either.

I thought I read that somewhere, I may be wrong....but, why don't you have it ?

Can you provide a weblink for us to learn ? instead of telling us how much we're missing.