Sign in to follow this  
Joey Gladstone

Have you ever gotten a chance to talk to a pro player?

My HS football team had the whole U of Idaho connection.

During training camp both my junior and senior year John Freisz talked to ask and answered our questions. He went to my high school. Didn't have too much interesting to say, but he was stoked to be starting over Warren Moon on the Seahawks my junior year.

Jeff Robinson from the Rams came over and helped out one of our practices. He was a DE who converted to TE and was also a good long snapper. He won a ring and even caught a few TD passes from Warner during his glory years...He spoke to us a couple years before all that though. VERY cool guy, he spent the entire practice helping out us defensive linemen and gave some pretty sharp pointers. At the end of practice he gave a great speech about how we should savior every game because high school is the purest level of football and things start to get very corrupted as you move up. Great stuff even if he wasn't a big name.

And finally before we played a game in the Kibbie Dome (where U of I plays) Merril Hoge gave us a pep talk. My HS coach played with him in college and still kind of knew him. It was a pretty firey, passionate speech and it got us pumped up pretty good. However, our team sucked and we ended up losing at the last second to a smaller school.

No big names, but all 3 meetings where still pretty cool.

My friend used to date Kyle Johnson. He is a really cool guy, btw. We gave her some crap about her being the reason he got cut this year!!! hahaha

My 2nd cousin married her college boyfriend, who became a backup QB for a couple of teams and was offensive player of the week ONCE. He then introduced her sister to a teamate, that she then married (He's now retired and has a shot at Canton). I have met both players a few times at family events. Nice guys.

My son and I stayed outside the Superdome for awhile Monday night. Since everybody left early few were around and Brees slapped the bill of his cap and told him to hang in there and signed an autograph. Everyone left but he wanted to stay and finally Colston came out and called him a "trooper" for waiting so late and signed his football. Not much, but made a 12 years old night even though the game didn't go our way.

My 2nd cousin married her college boyfriend, who became a backup QB for a couple of teams and was offensive player of the week ONCE. He then introduced her sister to a teamate, that she then married (He's now retired and has a shot at Canton). I have met both players a few times at family events. Nice guys.

huh?

My HS football team had the whole U of Idaho connection.

During training camp both my junior and senior year John Freisz talked to ask and answered our questions. He went to my high school. Didn't have too much interesting to say, but he was stoked to be starting over Warren Moon on the Seahawks my junior year.

Jeff Robinson from the Rams came over and helped out one of our practices. He was a DE who converted to TE and was also a good long snapper. He won a ring and even caught a few TD passes from Warner during his glory years...He spoke to us a couple years before all that though. VERY cool guy, he spent the entire practice helping out us defensive linemen and gave some pretty sharp pointers. At the end of practice he gave a great speech about how we should savior every game because high school is the purest level of football and things start to get very corrupted as you move up. Great stuff even if he wasn't a big name.

And finally before we played a game in the Kibbie Dome (where U of I plays) Merril Hoge gave us a pep talk. My HS coach played with him in college and still kind of knew him. It was a pretty firey, passionate speech and it got us pumped up pretty good. However, our team sucked and we ended up losing at the last second to a smaller school.

No big names, but all 3 meetings where still pretty cool.

Great question. Sorry about the Merril Hoge pep talk. i guess in HS you didn't know any better.

Anyway. i grew up in Dallas and my parents were from Philly. I met the entire Philadelphia Eagles team the year they lost to Oakland in the SB. 1980 i was about 10. I've been an Eagles Fan since.

It's funny because Dallas Cowboys Gary Hogeboom QB and Doug Cosby TE lived in my neighborhood. Hogeboom was super cool and Cosby, we really didn't see that often.

My parents live in Brett Keisels hometown of Greybull, WY. 2 summers ago i took an internship at a Bentonite mine in the area and i worked with his sister in law, so she hooked me up with a meeting! I have lots of keisel signed stuff!

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Tom Brady pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Tom Brady pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

:(

thread winner

My parents live in Brett Keisels hometown of Greybull, WY. 2 summers ago i took an internship at a Bentonite mine in the area and i worked with his sister in law, so she hooked me up with a meeting! I have lots of keisel signed stuff!

Go Cougars! My sister is currently former Pro Bowl TE Chad Lewis's secretary. On a baseball note, I sat right next former MLB MVP Dale Murphy at a high school football game yesterday. I also see Washington Redskin Jason Buck and Raider Todd Christensen all the time. They all live in my area and have kids that play sports with my nephew.

:(

But in all seriousness, I saw Sean Taylor at TGIFridays once. His hands were bigger than my head. Also saw Carlos Rogers at a local bar once, but didn't care much about talking to him.

My younger brother works at Best Buy and has seen pretty much all of the Redskins in there. Carlos Rogers bought 9 PSPs from him. Santana Moss bought a flatscreen from him. The next week Sean Taylor bought $12,000 worth of electronics and sought my brother out for the sale at the advice of Santana Moss (the exact quote was "my boy Santana told me to ask for you").

Patrick Ramsey bought something from my brother too...TurboTax.

I was friends with Bill Halley who was a TE for the Houston Oilers in the late 60's. He had a deep sea fishing boat and he took me out shark fishing many times. He was a real joker but would correct anybody that swore around a lady. We did 155 MPH in his Porche 911 SC. Good times, good times. :thumbsup:

I went to watch a charity basketball game several years ago where the 1986 Giants super bowl team was playing b-ball. In front of the entire Giants team, I asked Zeke Mowatt how much he benched, and he said "200!" and the whole team laughed!!! !#$%#^!@#$@#%!!!!!

"Patrick Ramsey bought something from my brother too...TurboTax."

:thumbsup:

Pro football players have agents and accountants for that!

They have to deal with W2's from every state they play in each year!

"Patrick Ramsey bought something from my brother too...TurboTax."

Pro football players have agents and accountants for that!

They have to deal with W2's from every state they play in each year!

:cheers: Never thought of that.

I guarded Eric Moulds in the turf room for 1 play at Mississippi State

Jerry Rice walked on the courts at the country club I was teaching tennis at in Mississippi. He grabbed my basket of balls and started hitting with his daughter, so I went out there and asked if they wanted to hit. I ended up giving his daughter a 30 minute lesson. He didn't even offer to pay when we were done. :cheers: . I did get him to sign my hat :thumbsup:

Bo Jackson, Danny Tartabull and some other dude from the Royals.

Stood next to them in line for the roller coaster at Boardwalk & Baseball during spring training.

I forgot to ask for autographs, though. :cheers:

Is your 2nd cousin a Prince by chance?

Is your 2nd cousin a Prince by chance?

As I stated above in a follow up post,

Said cousin married Todd Bouman, and he introduced John Randle to her sister, and they got married. Hence I see them both from time to time. Both are nice guys. John is hilarious to talk to.

Both came to my brother's charity golf event when he was fighting cancer. They donated jersies, balls, etc.

John's about the worst golfer I've ever seen. Todd's about the best golfer I've ever seen.

Since I see this is namedropping only:

Have hunted with "allstar (barely)" catcher Greg Olson from MN/Atl

Met and got an autograph from Larence Taylor as a kid via his LB coach at the time, Tom Sweatman. Tom was our neighbor and would bring us into the private team rooms as a Vikings coach, and then intro LT to us when he was visiting as a Giant's coach.

Met coach "uncle" Burnsy and a number of other Vikings at a different golf event for my brother's friend who also died of cancer. That friend used to work for the Vikes, hence the connection.

Mike Tice was a regular at our church. We often annoyed him about not playing Bouman more.

bar guests that i've spent some time talking with over the years:

ricky williams

erik williamson

randy white

isaac holt

michael irvin

julius jones

rayfield wright

chris canty

rocket ismail

al johnson

dan campbell

jeff george

no big names, though.

Mike Alstott hit me a screaming one-hopper that I snagged and threw him out from 3rd base in high school baseball.

Dude barely fit into a baseball uniform, and we got destroyed both games. They grow'em big at Joliet Catholic.

i guarded Dwayne Jarret in a schrimage, he went to New Brunswick HS right by Rutgers University in certral Jersey. Covered him for a couple of series, 0 catches...shut that fool down hahahaha jk they pounded the ball cause they were up 4 tds

When I was a little kid I took my football to a local dealership where Giants LB Brad Van Pelt was doing an appearance.

Yes THE(!!) Brad Van Pelt!! :pointstosky:

I met Robert Smith at a bar in NYC and me and two friends went to Scores with and a buddy.

I partied twice with Glenn Foley and my girls office Christmas party. He was dating the 21 year old scretary (he's divorced).

I talked with Julian Peterson at a DC night club a couple years back in his last year with the Niners. He was a bit bent and was talking a lot of junk about how much Ahmad Plummer was getting in his then new deal and how the Niners didnt respect his game enough to give him a decent contract. He said Plummer was a bum and didn't deserve that much money (he was absolutely right it turns out) A year later.......SEAHAWKS BABY!

Oh yeah I ran into TO a couple times in Miami. He is a cool dude, nothing like you would think......

I talked with Julian Peterson at a DC night club a couple years back in his last year with the Niners. He was a bit bent and was talking a lot of junk about how much Ahmad Plummer was getting in his then new deal and how the Niners didnt respect his game enough to give him a decent contract. He said Plummer was a bum and didn't deserve that much money (he was absolutely right it turns out) A year later.......SEAHAWKS BABY!

Oh yeah I ran into TO a couple times in Miami. He is a cool dude, nothing like you would think......

while I was in college I was a waiter, Mark Brunell came in and sat at one of my tables with a few guests back when he was a starter with the Jags, He seemed nice enough, picked up the tab for the table which was somewhere over 200 bucks, completely stiffed me on the tip.

fuggin prik :wub:

when i used to work at the mall javon walker and tikeo spikes came in and bought some stuff from the store i worked at. i told javon that he was on my fantasy team and that he had helped me win my championship. also, montel williams bought a suit jacket from me.

I caught a game-winning TD pass from Kenny Stabler at Arrowhead Stadium.

True story.

I caught a game-winning TD pass from Kenny Stabler at Arrowhead Stadium.

True story.

Dave Casper...is that you? :thumbsup:

I almost got in a fight with Ryan Krause last summer (the one before this one)

Also, I seen Mike Bell and a bunch of the Broncos at this bar in Greenwood Village, but they were thuggin' so I didn't even say nothin...

Drove with my buddy to Mike Alstotts house in Treasure Island in March. He was in his yard with his kids. He was cleaning his BBQ.....we yelled to him, docked and small talked for 3 minutes.

I used to see Wesley Walker at a NY night club I worked at in the early 90's. He was always coked up and hitting on the white women.

I graduated HS with Jay Fieldler. Very nice guy and extremelly smart.

I graduated college with Wayne Chrebet. He was a little cocky even back @ Hofstra. Turned out to be a solid NFL pro.

I lived across the street from some obscure NY Jets punter. I have no idea what the heck his name was.

I once saw Mark Gastienaeu on the Long Island Railroad. He was all weird and looked strung out. This was in early 90's too.

I have seen John Madden many times in NYC on the Upper West side. He lives across the street from my good buddy. (72nd and Central Park West @ the dakota building). My buddy tells me that Madden sometimes walks around aimlessly in the area and has seen him on occasion go into the public garbage can and look for food ( I wish I was lying about this)

Furthermore, Jason Garrett lived in same area as Madden recently. I have run into him and he was a nice guy. Glad he got opportunity with the cowboys

I also once saw OJ at a knife store.......(ok, that one is BS :unsure: )