Sign in to follow this  
FantasyBowl33

Fake Crowd Noise? UPDATED with Video

From the BOSTON Globe:

Following up on the crowd noise issue in the RCA Dome, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello passes along the following:

"CBS has informed us that the unusual audio moment heard by fans during the Patriots-Colts telecast was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck and was isolated to the CBS broadcast. It was in no way related to any sound within the stadium and could not be heard in the stadium."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr..._checks_in.html

EXACTLY as every non-Pat fan suspected. But then, Pat fans need to deflect away from the whole spy-gate flat-out caught cheating episode and I can understand their baseless hope that this would amount to something.

It didn't.

EAT THAT!!!!!! :dunno:

The video doesn't prove anything, neither does the press release.

I don't think anyone can come to a conclusion besides "the video was somewhat suspicious"

I don't think anyone can come to a conclusion besides "the video was somewhat suspicious"

Let me guess, OJ jury chairman?

:rolleyes:

Let me guess, OJ jury chairman?

Nah... just a 3-year old poster with 71 posts. (aka... aliass.)

Hey, numbnuts. I think that you wanted to be arguing with me. ShoNuff is merely an innocent bystander (Packer fan).

BTW - you may want to log back in as your real identify rather than the alias.

[/quot

Don't know what you mean by alias? .t's been my user name since I joined AND (I'm sure you'll take off on this one) I don't have nuts...You figure it out. Yeah, I'm a rookie and a girl...have at it. How old are you?

Hey, numbnuts. I think that you wanted to be arguing with me. ShoNuff is merely an innocent bystander (Packer fan).

BTW - you may want to log back in as your real identify rather than the alias.

Don't know what you mean by alias? .t's been my user name since I joined AND (I'm sure you'll take off on this one) I don't have nuts...You figure it out. Yeah, I'm a rookie and a girl...have at it. How old are you?

Can size?

I am too old for you. HTH.

Can size?

I am too old for you. HTH.

You may be stupid fock, but you CAN'T be THAT much of a sucker, can you? :dunno:

You may be stupid fock, but you CAN'T be THAT much of a sucker, can you? :dunno:

My stalker is back! :overhead:

MMM is not putting out so you have a stick up your ass this week?

... and no, but if I left that without a can size question I would have to turn in my card.

The Patriots won the game. :doublethumbsup:

...but you almost woulda' never known with how Pats fines are whining and complaining on message boards across the land.

Yep, colts cheated... but it was gamesmanship... trying to get an edge, I don't think they deserve to lose a draft pick just like the pats didn't deserve it.

Yep, colts cheated... but it was gamesmanship... trying to get an edge, I don't think they deserve to lose a draft pick just like the pats didn't deserve it.

Now this is hilarity. Not the kind you were trying to implore, but hilarity none-the-less.

You have got to be kidding or fishing. Nobody is this focking stupid.

Reading is Fundamental. :doublethumbsup:

that does indeed sound like a skipping CD. but here's the problem with that theory--what kind of audio guy would use a CD if he was trying to fake crowd noise?

have any of you guys ever been a professional DJ? i haven't, but as a club manager, i have spent hundreds of hours in the booth working with DJs as they set up and execute audio shows. so don't take this as gospel, but here are my impressions of that idea...

CDs are terribly slow and cumbersome to operate. in an age of sampling and digital audio, the need to physically manipulate a CD is a serious drawback. think about the process--to simulate real crowd noise, the sound guy would have to have a CD with a variety of "applause" spikes (because the sound surges at different points during the play) and would have to have it cued for any eventuality. that's only 1 spike choice per CD player in the booth.

now, there is a possibility that there would just be a noise CD running in the background all the time, and the sound guy racks the volume at appropriate points, but this would bring it's on problems--how would that noise be produced? it isn't like they could record a different game's crowd, because the surges wouldn't align with the on-field action. and chopping/looping it would leave easily detectable splices.

frankly, the most logical choice from an audio production standpoint would be to have everything set up on a computer delivery system such as digital DJ or the like. most non-performer DJs use these for major events because they are much simpler, faster to operate, and eliminate most common problems (like skipping CDs, for example). songs are tagged by genre, sound effects are instantly accessable with single keystrokes, volume modulation can be pre-scaled, and the whole production is completely seamless. this is why very few event DJs use CDs anymore--there are just too many drawbacks compared to computer-based music delivery.

now, with this in mind, it is hard to imagine a stadium sound guy manipulating CDs for any reason, much less for something as inherently problematical as simulating crowd noise. with only 8 events per year, and the fact that computer delivery solves virtually every associated problem, one would think that they would avoid the CD hassle and go with the industry standard for event production.

of course, this doesn't mean that it wasn't a skipping CD--the stadium crew might actually be dumb and inefficient. but i would think that we should know a little more about RCA's audio delivery system before immediately assuming that the crew made such an amateur error.

:overhead:

Hey, Belichick used a guy on the sidelines with a big honking video camera when he could probably have accomplished the same with a hand-held digital camera from a billion miles away.

I vote CD. :thumbsup:

Guest _my_2_cents_
Glad that's over. Colts are innocent. Nothing to see here.

Don't tell DankNuggs....he's done and caught hisself a case of the denial. I hear it might be catchy. :doublethumbsup:

Didn't have time to read every post so I apologize if any of these points have already been stated.

My thought is that one of the shotgun mikes on the sideline malfunctioned. I heard a definite "skipping" sound in the background noise, and then it got quieter while Nantz's and Simms' voices stayed at the same level. I think someone in the production truck noticed the "beat" and just cut off the feed from that microphone.

I think the more damning evidence from the telecast was the observation by Simms or Nantz earlier in the game that they never heard a stadium so loud when the opponent has the ball, and never heard a stadium so quiet when the Colts have the ball.

I think the more damning evidence from the telecast was the observation by Simms or Nantz earlier in the game that they never heard a stadium so loud when the opponent has the ball, and never heard a stadium so quiet when the Colts have the ball.

That's not "evidence," that's their individual opinion at best and a hyperbole proclamation by broadcasters to make the game and/or event sound even bigger than it already was.

In addition to that, every announcer for years has commented similarly about the RCA Dome and many other NFL/college sites: Seattle, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, and KC are the best NFL examples that come to mind and there are, literally, endless examples tossed out there for college crowds.

The only "real" evidence was what the CBS sound crew said that it was NOT piped in sound by the Colts or anyone else.

Case closed!

:music_guitarred:

That's not "evidence," that's their individual opinion at best and a hyperbole proclamation by broadcasters to make the game and/or event sound even bigger than it already was.

In addition to that, every announcer for years has commented similarly about the RCA Dome and many other NFL/college sites: Seattle, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, and KC are the best NFL examples that come to mind and there are, literally, endless examples tossed out there for college crowds.

The only "real" evidence was what the CBS sound crew said that it was NOT piped in sound by the Colts or anyone else.

Case closed!

:music_guitarred:

I've never heard an example of a stadium being both the quietest and the loudest in the same game.

I've never heard an example of a stadium being both the quietest and the loudest in the same game.

I'm pretty sure Simms tosses that "observation" out there every year!

Despite his complete lack of creativity, it does have some foundation. They are VERY loud when their team is on defense and even when their team is on offense, right up to the point Peyton comes up to the line and does his little song and dance routine. Then, it's so quiet you can he his tired line calls and play changes.

:sleep:

...sorry to interrupt the discussion...but I heard I can find some people in this thread that also believe we faked the moon landing, the Holocaust didn't happen, and 9/11 was planned by both Clinton and Bush.

:overhead: