Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Starting to see why A Peterson is running so hard

MINNEAPOLIS -- Adrian Peterson is padding his bank account with every yard he gains.

The Minnesota Vikings' rookie earned a one-time, $2.45 million bonus when he passed 701 yards this season. And he can add significantly to his bank account in upcoming seasons if he keeps going. Peterson ran for an NFL record 296 yards last week against San Diego.

Peterson's contract and incentives were broken down by the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Tuesday. Among the nuggets:

• He can add $2.5 million to his 2010 salary (set to start at $2.695 million) if he rushes for more than 1,000 yards in two of his first three seasons.

• If he rushed for 1,300 yards once, he puts another $1 million onto his 2011 salary, set to begin at $3.94 million. If he passes 1,300 yards twice, he adds $3 million to that number.

• Should Peterson rush for 2,000 yards or 20 touchdowns, he adds $1 million each time he does it to the 2011 base salary.

Peterson

• He's also eligible for a $250,000 bonus if he's the rookie of the year, the most valuable player in the league or the Super Bowl MVP.

Add it up, and Peterson could earn $40.5 million through the life of his current five-year deal. He's guaranteed $17 million.

Peterson has rushed for 1,036 yards and nine touchdowns (eight rushing, one receiving) in eight games thus far this season.

espn.com

nice contract by the Vikes, nice work by ADP.

seems like if more rookie contracts were structured like this, there'd be less Charles Rogers, Mike Williams type stories.

Minnesota is going to be over their salary cap once this season is over! :mad:

I like to see a contract like that. The people that keep getting paid $$$ for sucking just because of their name or college stats gets annoying.

seems like if more rookie contracts were structured like this, there'd be less Charles Rogers, Mike Williams type stories.

I think those guys are two prime examples why teams/agents are setting up more and more contracts like th is :mad:. Talk about money down the drain.

I like to see a contract like that. The people that keep getting paid $$$ for sucking just because of their name or college stats gets annoying.

Yeah, I'm all for that. Seems like quite a few owners are sick of getting burned out of 8 figures for a worthless investment too. These guys didn't get to be where they are by being bad businessmen. Definitely a fan of "pay for performance".

Absolutely. Fair for both sides. It's a shame, though, that more contracts aren't structured like that.

Yeah, but won't they just cut him, franchise him, or renegotiate?

I agree that contracts should be incentive based, but I think most people never get all the money in the contract.

You're mostly correct... but a rookie contract that only goes out 5-years, I'd say it's quite possible he's one of the few who are in a position to see through such a contract. The PROBLEM occurs if he gets injured after accomplishing tasks in the early years that earmark a bonus for 2011. That seems weird.

Where you see the guys who "never see the money" that their contract is reported as being - the guys with new contracts... the veterans who sign 8-year deals for 66-million dollars who are gone after the first 2 for 10.

I agree that contracts should be incentive based, but I think most people never get all the money in the contract.

Only thing bad about incentive laced contracts is most players are greedy.... I mean WR's are already ball whores, imagine if they don't get passes thrown their way, and it costs them money on top of that ??? That could cause a lot of turmoil.... I guess it could work with RB's if there isn't a committee thing going on, or DE's geting sacks and stuff, but I fear the ugly side of contracts like this.... just my $.02

Here's the thing, he's only gonna be 27 when his contract expires. If he hits most of those goals, he will become the highest paid player in the league at that time, almost without doubt.

Do the incentives count directly against the cap for the season they're earned in?

Seems like it would be a difficult balancing act if it counts directly against a given years total. If your guys aren't reaching their incentives your team probably sucks, but if they are you're probably in a heap of trouble with the accountants.

i'd like to think he's just running this hard because he's a hungry excited rookie. and i believe that to be absoloulty true.....money to these guys is just a bonus.......a very big bonus

i'd like to think he's just running this hard because he's a hungry excited rookie. and i believe that to be absoloulty true.....money to these guys is just a bonus.......a very big bonus

Two things are true about Peterson that can't be said about pretty much anyone else.

1. It has been said by many in the organization that he run too hard during practice and they have to reign him in.

2. He was one of the very few football players ever thought to have had the possibility of going from high school to the NFL.

Man, good read/find. It's amazing to see how detailed these contracts are. To think of all the back and forth's it takes to strike a deal :mad:

To this point of the season, he deserves the high end of each part of the contract.

When will the real money start to come in? Nike, Gatorade, Hanes, etc :dunno: . He will sign something huge by the end of the season is my prediction. Maybe he has, but I don't remember seeing him in a commercial - yet.

Man, good read/find. It's amazing to see how detailed these contracts are. To think of all the back and forth's it takes to strike a deal :wall:

To this point of the season, he deserves the high end of each part of the contract.

When will the real money start to come in? Nike, Gatorade, Hanes, etc ;) . He will sign something huge by the end of the season is my prediction. Maybe he has, but I don't remember seeing him in a commercial - yet.

He's been in both TV and print ads for Muscle Milk. Pick up a copy of Muscle & Fitness and you'll him in there once or twice pimping their RTD protein shakes. :thumbsup:

Did RB-Ricky Williams have a rookie contract like this? He got hurt & didn't get paid well or something????

Yes, and I believe it was Edge who complained that he was being reigned in so he couldn't reach higher incentives in his contract.

Yes, and I believe it was Edge who complained that he was being reigned in so he couldn't reach higher incentives in his contract.

And in that case I think he was correct. Edge was getting pulled late in one season and it simply didn't make sense, though the details are fuzzy, I distinctly remember it.

And a previous poster clarified the bonus in a future year for achievements reached in prior years - it's about managing the cap.

Of course, none of this will matter because ADP will be on the cover of Madden. :rolleyes:

Money doesn't mean much to these guys...he's pissed about being passed over and doubted in the NFL draft!

Make no mistake about it…it’s not revenge he’s after…it’s the reckoning! :overhead:

Bonus for whoever tells me what movie that is from???

Money doesn't mean much to these guys...he's pissed about being passed over and doubted in the NFL draft!

Make no mistake about it…it’s not revenge he’s after…it’s the reckoning! :wall:

Bonus for whoever tells me what movie that is from???

Tombstone

I think Ricky Williams and Master P might disagree.

Ah yes... the injury issue is what blows up an incentive laden contract.

Tough break... I think 3+ weeks on the shelf could hurt him financially.

I think Ricky Williams and Master P might disagree.

Ricky stood alot to gain if he took his employment in the NFL seriously.