Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

Proof that PPR leagues are a joke.

What do you care what kind of leagues I play in. I sure don't care about your rules.

By the way I play in 4 leagues, 2 are PPR and 2 are not. I like them both.

I don't.

Because a one yard catch shouldn't be worth more than one yard. In other words, five one yard catches shouldn't be worth more than 2 five yard catches (depending on your scoring, adjust the values accordingly - you get the idea). A catch for negative yards shouldn't be worth anything.

The yards are what is important. That's what is valuable to the real team. The catch itself means nothing.

FF is just a statistical gambling tool. All we are trying to do is quantify stats. If you really want to be technnical, no play that doesn't put points on the board counts. Sure some help with field position more, but maybe that one yard reception just made the defense adjust a linebacker that opened up the middle for T.O. to score a touchdown. FF is already nothing like the game. It just seems silly to nitpick the PPR aspect.

What do you care what kind of leagues I play in. I sure don't care about your rules.

By the way I play in 4 leagues, 2 are PPR and 2 are not. I like them both.

Newbie just read the CBS sportsline update and got all worked up. He's easily worked up in that way.

FF is already nothing like the game. It just seems silly to nitpick the PPR aspect.

whatever... my squad would slaughter the belichicks

totally

It takes more talent to catch a ball than to get it handed off to you. There should be a bonus for doing that, which is why I prefer ppr leagues...we get .5.

Now keeper leagues I can't stand!!

I enjoy have scoring for receptions. I even have them for completions - and it really boils down to your preferences and what value you place on certain aspects of the game. For instance, I think a whole point for a reception is excessive because I try to using TDs as the focal point of the rest of the scoring.

So, a short TD in my league is 6-points and the everything else is centered around what, in my opinion, is the value of anything else.

TD length bonuses are +1 for every 20-yards in length after 19-yards.

I like the QBs having the most value, but not outrageously so. I like RB performances to be in line with WR performances for scoring, yardage, etc.

Completions: .25/completion.

Receptions: .50/reception.

I never quite understood the argument that there shouldn't be a reward for "just" catching a ball (or for that matter, "just" delivering the ball). It takes talent, athletic ability, and high performance.

Reason? Whether you like it or not... I don't think that 6-receptions is worth scoring a TD, even if it's a 1-yard TD. 12-receptions? I can buy that.

Well why are completions .25? Well, because there is only 1 quarterback who gets credit for that category. No one else has the opportunity. Didn't want to overstate QB value, so given that only one person is generally tossing the ball, I chopped it. There are usually 2 or more receivers, a TE, and backs sharing the wealth at receptions and that's why I gave them more credit.

Passing yardage? +1/24-yards.

Rushing & Receiving Yardage (combined): +1/12-yards

The scoring shakes out as I planned it...

QBs are tops.

RBs and WRs fill out the middle.

TEs, Ks, and DSTs are supplemental.

It's just a matter of preference and usually the biggest b!tches are those who perceive that they lost as a result of it... they'll never show up to b!tch about how their guy was that aberration that had a generally crappy overall day but scored well in FF. You can't say that Jamal Lewis had a bad day because most leagues are centered around touchdowns... so I don't care if he had 4-rushes for 4-yards and 4TDs. That's a great focking fantasy day and no amount of your whining is going to change that.

All that said... I think +1 per reception is excessive, but it's all about what you think works. If you don't like it, make your own league or join one that has all the elements you prefer.

I'm looking to join a league where your punter gets you bonus points for long-snaps received. Same principal as PPR. It doesn't matter whether or not it nets his NFL team any yardage or points, it's just a way to add some points to the scoring and give an unfair advantage to players who can't get it through real NFL skills, like gaining yardage and scoring touchdowns.

Anyone know of any leagues like this? TIA

I'm looking to join a league where your punter gets you bonus points for long-snaps received. Same principal as PPR. It doesn't matter whether or not it nets his NFL team any yardage or points, it's just a way to add some points to the scoring and give an unfair advantage to players who can't get it through real NFL skills, like gaining yardage and scoring touchdowns.

Anyone know of any leagues like this? TIA

I have heard stories of leagues like this. They are made just for guys like you. You have to have frosted hair, enjoy the artistry of Flock of Seagulls, and know very little about football.

How many points did the PPR get KJ in that game that you played against him? At most, he had 4 points, right? I bet you lost by more than 4. You are biotching because he put up a TD and had 30+ yards receiving. Stop the whining and move on to something stupid about the Iggles. OK?

My league is PPR, and I like the way it mixes things up. That being said, I really hate those games in which my opponent's RB catches 8 passes for 2 yards.

Guest _my_2_cents_

PPR may well have knocked me out of a spot in the WCOFF LCG this year. In a must-win week, I faced Westbrook on his 14 reception game. A losing game, where Westy was not blowing up stats-wise except for 14 useless dump-off 0-2 yd receptions.

That said, I love PPR and will endeavor to play in PPR leagues every year. The key is to balance out the rest of the scoring. The league I commission is an IDP and we are working on just this issue. QB scoring seems low compared to WRs. So we bumped the passing yds to .1/2 over .1/2.5, made PaTDs 6 points and next year will likely add .3/completion - then a great day from a QB (22/37 for 320/2/1 will be 34.x points instead of 26 points as in the current scoring. Considering PPR makes a good day from a WR of 7/90/1 = 21 points, it seems right that a QB is better rewarded.

No one in the league suggested eliminating PPR though - they all love it for RB/WR/TE. Just have to find a way to balance it out so that QBs don't become less valuable.

I have heard stories of leagues like this. They are made just for guys like you. You have to have frosted hair, enjoy the artistry of Flock of Seagulls, and know very little about football.

How many points did the PPR get KJ in that game that you played against him? At most, he had 4 points, right? I bet you lost by more than 4. You are biotching because he put up a TD and had 30+ yards receiving. Stop the whining and move on to something stupid about the Iggles. OK?

I didn't play against Kevin Jones. I have him and started him. Only thing is, my league isn't PPR, so he sucked (like he did in teh actual NFL game).

Also, when did you become such an a**hole? :lol:

It takes more talent to catch a ball than to get it handed off to you. There should be a bonus for doing that, which is why I prefer ppr leagues...we get .5.

Now keeper leagues I can't stand!!

Let's go a step further in analyzing why this a BS...

The QB throws a screen pass to the right (forward pass), the RB gets a point for catching it.

The QB throws a screen pass to the right (backward pass), the RB doesn't get a point for catching it.

The QB throws a pitch to the right (backward pass), the RB doesn't get a point for catching.

It's actually a skill to receive the center snap, so next year we're crediting QB's with .5 points per snaps-received. :lol:

I didn't play against Kevin Jones. I have him and started him. Only thing is, my league isn't PPR, so he sucked (like he did in teh actual NFL game).

Also, when did you become such an a**hole? :lol:

If you are going to come out with blanket statements about a league being a "joke", then I am going to call you on it. If that is being an a**hole, then I have no problem being one.

If you started him in a standard scoring league, he got you 9 points. If you played him in a PPR league with .5 PPR, then he got you 13. I don't think that is a big deal and certainly not one worth starting a thread about.

If you are going to come out with blanket statements about a league being a "joke", then I am going to call you on it. If that is being an a**hole, then I have no problem being one.

If you started him in a standard scoring league, he got you 9 points. If you played him in a PPR league with .5 PPR, then he got you 13. I don't think that is a big deal and certainly not one worth starting a thread about.

Send me your email address, Oh Mighty Board God. I'll email all thread ideas for your approval before posting.

Also, PPR leagues ARE, in fact, a joke. They reward players for something that has no contribution to an actual NFL game. If the catch results in positive yardage, the player is already rewarded for the yards. If you can somehow justify rewarding a player for catching a screen pass that loses three yards, I'm more than willing to listen.

HTH

Let's go a step further in analyzing why this a BS...

The QB throws a screen pass to the right (forward pass), the RB gets a point for catching it.

The QB throws a screen pass to the right (backward pass), the RB doesn't get a point for catching it.

The QB throws a pitch to the right (backward pass), the RB doesn't get a point for catching.

Let's further continue to bring situations into the mix that happen so infrequently as to not matter almost at all. :thumbsdown:

The frequency with which people catch 10-passes for 5-yards are rare.

The frequency with which lateral-passes are thrown are rare.

My guess is the poster whining about Kevin Jones DID play against him because he couldn't be possibly that angry about that specific, isolated situation just by sheer coincidence.

Has any jackass brought up the point-per-handoff yet? :shocking:

Lock this load of bullsh!t up, it's getting ridiculous.

Send me your email address, Oh Mighty Board God. I'll email all thread ideas for your approval before posting.

Also, PPR leagues ARE, in fact, a joke. They reward players for something that has no contribution to an actual NFL game. If the catch results in positive yardage, the player is already rewarded for the yards. If you can somehow justify rewarding a player for catching a screen pass that loses three yards, I'm more than willing to listen.

HTH

:thumbsdown:

If you don't want people to comment or you just want people to agree, then perhaps you can just talk to yourself in the mirror all day. I disagreed with your entire premise. Get over yourself.

The yards are what is important. That's what is valuable to the real team. The catch itself means nothing.

If you don't make the catch then you aren't going to get any yards, so in in my opinion the catch is the most important part of the play.

If you don't like PPR leagues then don't play in one. FF is about having fun. For me I don't care what the rules are, just let me know what the rules are far enough ahead of the draft so that i can plan my draft strategy.

They reward players for something that has no contribution to an actual NFL game. If the catch results in positive yardage, the player is already rewarded for the yards.

Says you?

You have to catch the pass first, which is more often than not, rather difficult in the NFL, as is delivering the pass.

If you would start treating yardage gained and passes caught as two separate performance issues, you'd get it.

In my league, you get .5 for making the reception. He loses yardage, it would go against his cumulative yardage total. That reception might result in a net LOSS of a 1/2 point, genius.

You don't have to like PPR leagues, but to say they are a "joke" with dumbass arguments like you posted above is embarrassing to your whole family.

Um, have RB's have .5 pts/catch.

we had a full ppr with RBs, but it skewed the relative value between positions to the point we needed to reduce it.

HTH

Pure jackassery

Says you?

You have to catch the pass first, which is more often than not, rather difficult in the NFL, as is delivering the pass.

Isn't receiving a punt a much harder skill than catching a pass? Why aren't we rewarding special teams for punts received? And you brought up rewarding backs for handoffs received. Why not? Aren't there botched exchanges between QB and RB? Hell, let's just throw points around and make all fantasy games 189-167?

I could care less if people want to inflate scores or make the Reggie Bush's and Kevin Jones's more valuable in fantasy than they really are in the NFL. Just don't come here and pretend that PPR is anything but a made-up piece of crap rule. It's totally irrelevant in an NFL game. You know it and I know it.

Also, I just checked with my family , they are not disgraced by my thread. :thumbsdown:

Now, THAT'S a post I can agree with. :thumbsdown:

I just stumbled across that CD in my desk drawer that you burned and made me listen to. I'm now using it as a coaster for my coffee mug. :shocking:

HTH

I repeat, why do you care what kind of league I play in?

It's actually a skill to receive the center snap, so next year we're crediting QB's with .5 points per snaps-received. :doublethumbsup:

I have actually heard of leagues where RB gets points for carries. Can you imagine that? Points for just receiving the handoff? So 20 carries for 80 yards gets you MORE credit than 10 carries for 80 yards, even though the latter is much more impressive.

I guess it all depends on your tolerance for rules that don't make sense from an NFL perspective. I guess PPR leagues bridge the gap between RBs and WR values, though in today's NFL that gap isn't what it used to be. So maybe it achieves the goal of adding more value to WRs. Strangly, many leagues that use PPR don't also try to adjust the scoring system to give QBs more value. Like the WCOFF. I believe they use PPR, but the QBs only get 4pts per TD pass and -2 for INTs. That makes no sense to me. I guess it also adds more strategy, though you could say that anytime you add complexity to the rules. Even in your example above.

Guys like you and me can't watch a game and rejoice when our player catches a shovel pass and gets dumped for no gain, knowing he just scored a point for our team. If I'm watching a Packer game and the player catches it for no gain, I'm not happy. So it seems strange for me to watch it differently when rooting for my fantasy team. Some can see it completely differently, they see it as a game strickly of numbers, and more power to them. I find it distracts from my enjoyment of fantasy football, so I don't play in PPR leagues.

I repeat, why do you care what kind of league I play in?

Link to where I said I care what kind of league you play in?

I just said that PPR leagues are a joke. Your decisions have absolutely zero impact on my day.

Also, I think people who smoke are idiots and fat people have no self-control, but I don't neccessarily care what their habits are.

See the difference?

Isn't receiving a punt a much harder skill than catching a pass? Why aren't we rewarding special teams for punts received? And you brought up rewarding backs for handoffs received. Why not? Aren't there botched exchanges between QB and RB? Hell, let's just throw points around and make all fantasy games 189-167?

I could care less if people want to inflate scores or make the Reggie Bush's and Kevin Jones's more valuable in fantasy than they really are in the NFL. Just don't come here and pretend that PPR is anything but a made-up piece of crap rule. It's totally irrelevant in an NFL game. You know it and I know it.

Also, I just checked with my family , they are not disgraced by my thread. :doublethumbsup:

Idiot....

If your league has a 'goal' of relative parity in value between major positions (RB & WR) (my league also starts 2QBs and tries to balance with RB/WR), you quickly see that RB's have MUCH more value in traditional scoring leagues

THAT IS BORING. Who wants 3 rounds of RBs taken in order. It makes the league simple.

What you find to neutralize the advantage is to give WRs a PPR.

If you are going to give a WR a PPR, the theory is that a RB should receive the same reward for the same action.

Personally, this puts you right back where you started, with RB's being more valuable. So the savvy people figure a way to keep it more or less even. (.5ppr/RB.)

Bottom line: Regardless of the scoring, it is fair across the league, so adjust your rankings accordingly. It doesn't allow the azzclowns to go pick up some junk magazine the day before the draft and use the generic cheat sheet and be able to evenly compete. Which is what people tend to like.

People on this bored believe research, analysis, and some intuition can give you a leg up on the competition.

I have actually heard of leagues where RB gets points for carries. Can you imagine that? Points for just receiving the handoff? So 20 carries for 80 yards gets you MORE credit than 10 carries for 80 yards, even though the latter is much more impressive.

I guess it all depends on your tolerance for rules that don't make sense from an NFL perspective. I guess PPR leagues bridge the gap between RBs and WR values, though in today's NFL that gap isn't what it used to be. So maybe it achieves the goal of adding more value to WRs. Strangly, many leagues that use PPR don't also try to adjust the scoring system to give QBs more value. Like the WCOFF. I believe they use PPR, but the QBs only get 4pts per TD pass and -2 for INTs. That makes no sense to me. I guess it also adds more strategy, though you could say that anytime you add complexity to the rules. Even in your example above.

Guys like you and me can't watch a game and rejoice when our player catches a shovel pass and gets dumped for no gain, knowing he just scored a point for our team. If I'm watching a Packer game and the player catches it for no gain, I'm not happy. So it seems strange for me to watch it differently when rooting for my fantasy team. Some can see it completely differently, they see it as a game strickly of numbers, and more power to them. I find it distracts from my enjoyment of fantasy football, so I don't play in PPR leagues.

Well put. Finally a voice of reason steps up, instead of all the people who feel insulted because I made them realize how silly their rules are.

Link to where I said I care what kind of league you play in?

I just said that PPR leagues are a joke. Your decisions have absolutely zero impact on my day.

Also, I think people who smoke are idiots and fat people have no self-control, but I don't neccessarily care what their habits are.

See the difference?

You should change your sig. :doublethumbsup:

Bottom line: Regardless of the scoring, it is fair across the league, so adjust your rankings accordingly. It doesn't allow the azzclowns to go pick up some junk magazine the day before the draft and use the generic cheat sheet and be able to evenly compete.

Psssst..... They have magazines that tell you how many reception guys had the previous year now. Also, some even give PPR rankings. I won't tell anyone if you don't. :doublethumbsup:

I just stumbled across that CD in my desk drawer that you burned and made me listen to. I'm now using it as a coaster for my coffee mug. :doublethumbsup:

Dude. If you really did this, you're dead to me. That cd represents some of Rick's finest work. What an injustice. :banana:

Psssst..... They have magazines that tell you how many reception guys had the previous year now. Also, some even give PPR rankings. I won't tell anyone if you don't. :banana:

You find me a magazine that has overall rankings for 2QBs starting, .5ppr/rb, and ppr/WR......

Ohhh.... WAit..... :doublethumbsup:

Then just increase the factor assigned to receiving yards, the same way passing yards are devalued.

Don't just give credit for something that isn't inherently valuable.

If receptions aren't inherently valuable, then why does the NFL keep the stat? WRs are ranked by receptions, not yards. Its just another element to fantasy football. If you like it fine, if you don't then that's ok as well.

Personally both my leagues (re-draft and dynasty) are ppr leagues and I like it. It gives you more options when you are stuck at RB. A guy like Kevin Faulk becomes more valuable. Its also gives you soemthing more to root for while watching the game.

Not sure why everyone needs to attempt to piss all over everyone else's league on these boards.

Newbie, Jr. likes Wham better than Led Zepplin. Do I think that's a joke, sure. However it doesn't bother me one bit that he'd rather sit around listening to "Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go" then "Gallow's Pole". What difference does it make to me?

If receptions aren't inherently valuable, then why does the NFL keep the stat? WRs are ranked by receptions, not yards. Its just another element to fantasy football. If you like it fine, if you don't then that's ok as well.

Personally both my leagues (re-draft and dynasty) are ppr leagues and I like it. It gives you more options when you are stuck at RB. A guy like Kevin Faulk becomes more valuable. Its also gives you soemthing more to root for while watching the game.

Not sure why everyone needs to attempt to piss all over everyone else's league on these boards.

Newbie, Jr. likes Wham better than Led Zepplin. Do I think that's a joke, sure. However it doesn't bother me one bit that he'd rather sit around listening to "Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go" then "Gallow's Pole". What difference does it make to me?

Careless Whisper >> Stairway to Heaven.

HTH

Yes... yes... thanks for walking right into my invitation to most more ludicrous analogies. Much appreciated, you dumbass.

You create a scoring system based on your own personal preferences. No one is arguing that some people prefer to not place values on completions/receptions. I certainly don't have any problem with that. The problem in this debate is the level to which you post your disdain about leagues who do reward those categories and the arguments against you've offered which are just about completely devoid of meaningful reason.

Let's offer you a clue:

- If someone wants to reward punts received... no problem with me. I don't do it in my league and wouldn't join one that does.

- If someone wants to reward for RB carries... no problem with me. I don't do it in my league and wouldn't join one that does.

It's arguments like these that continue to pile up the jackass points for you.

You will find NO "expert" in the NFL that wouldn't tell you that a back like Reggie Bush or Brian Westbrook - both extremely proficient as receivers as they are runners... aren't "more valuable" than backs without such skills (or lesser skills/opportunities in the passing game). You're a donkey for saying the opposite.

More jackassery: Completions/Receptions are "totally irrelevant in an NFL game?" Holy focking retard batman!

They're not crap rules and while I agree that a full point (depending upon the scoring system) is more than I think is necessary, rewarding for completing a pass or catching a pass is hardly "crap."

Hell, there are leagues that award bonus points for completion percentage or yards-per-carry. I don't include them because I don't like them. I think categories like that have a greater chance of skewing FF scores than the very rare "14-catches for 4-yards" scenarios that jackasses like you are trotting out in this very thread.

To each his own, but because DumbassJr says it's a "joke" - especially with some of the lameassed arguments you've trotted out here... only serves to validate their use. :dunno:

Also, I just checked with my family , they are not disgraced by my thread. :thumbsdown:

It's your family. If they're anything like you, they're too focking stupid to realize that they should be embarrassed.

I win this thread.