Sign in to follow this  
bigmark3333

Why Do People Hate the Pats?

Pats got two things handed to them that year: the call in the Raiders game AND Brady unjustly getting Super Bowl MVP (he was the 4th MVP on that team at best).

How does Brady getting the Super Bowl MVP mean the Pats got something handed to them????

6. Despite their rampant success, the Pats' coaches/players seem to have a "woe-is-me" mentality in which everyone (from fans to the NFL to opposing teams) are somehow out to get them -- at least this is the impression given at many of their press-conferences/interviews.

A good list all around, but I think this is the one that irritates me the most. They're always talking as if they're the victims of everything. Spygate is the most recent and rediculous example. They got caught cheating red handed, and the coach and team were punished accordingly. Many would say they even got off easy. But are they contrite? No. They're pissed. What? Oh, pissed at their coach, right? Nope. Pissed at the media, the haters, whatever. What? You were not the victims here. You were the perpetrators. Take responsibility for it. Stop being the victim all the time. For all their greatness, they're extremely thin skinned. I guess on some level I respect their ability to turn any perceived slight into even more greatness on the field, but stop whining already.

How does Brady getting the Super Bowl MVP mean the Pats got something handed to them????

I think the point was that from the beginning the media has been twisting things in favor of the great story involving Brady. It started as the 7th round back up QB that comes in and leads the team through the snow, etc and against a high-powered Rams offense and all that. When in reality it was the defensive side of the ball, and a freaking amazing kicker that were the true heroes of that game/postseason. Since then it's been all about "The Golden Boy" as they like to portray him with the great looks, supermodel girlfriends, etc. The guy can play, no doubt. But even when he couldn't, he got a ton of the glory that you can argue he didn't deserve at the time. He feels manufactured.

...and every Raider fan who is old enough to remember 1976 should shut the fock up.....

I'm not old enough, but I just read about it on Wikipedia. Touche'.

It's 3 things for me....

1) Bob Kraft oozes the "snake" archetype. (Also see: Jerry Jones)

2) I used to like Tom Brady, but now I think he's a sniveling, spoiled little weasel.

3) I tend to get sick of teams that win so much year-after-year that they make the season almost a pointless endeavor for other teams. The salary cap was supposed to prevent this. The cheating scandal does nothing but amplify my disdain for them. Those who argue that it didn't matter are flat-out wrong.

I hate the Pats because first, I'm a Dolphins fan. So, I actually hate the Jets and Bills too. Used to hate the Colts as well when they were all in the same division. Second, up until this year they've won when they shouldn't have. They always caught breaks and even cheated. Look, if the tuck rule call never happened, the Pats wouldn't even be in any discussions. Lucky. Third, this year I hate them because they ARE good. They don't need luck, or cheating. They will go undefeated and now my beloved Dolphins will have to share the record with a team I despise, and theirs will be better because it will be 19-0. Plus, the Dolph's will be the only 0-16 team ever (remember TB was 0-14). Along with that, Moss doesn't deserve to win. He doesn't respect the game unless he's winning. Same with TO, but that's another story.

I don't know, I just hate them.

Which was dead wrong. Pats got the hometown call. Had that play been on an opposing field, they'd only have two championships (which is still impressive).

Pats got two things handed to them that year: the call in the Raiders game AND Brady unjustly getting Super Bowl MVP (he was the 4th MVP on that team at best).

So the Raiders refs would have cheated?

It's 3 things for me....

1) Bob Kraft oozes the "snake" archetype. (Also see: Jerry Jones)

2) I used to like Tom Brady, but now I think he's a sniveling, spoiled little weasel.

3) I tend to get sick of teams that win so much year-after-year that they make the season almost a pointless endeavor for other teams. The salary cap was supposed to prevent this. The cheating scandal does nothing but amplify my disdain for them. Those who argue that it didn't matter are flat-out wrong.

Like I said, people of losing teams are jealous of the Pats, and they are just hating. Pathetic, since they would not care if their team was the dominant team. :unsure:

Definitely the bandwagoning fans. As a huge NFL fan in the 80s and 90s, I don't remember one Pats fan I ever ran into. After 2001, they were coming out of the woodwork, acting like they'd been there all along, when in actuality, they probably gave up on 2001 when they started 0-2 and Bledsoe went down. I bet most Pats fans these days don't even know who Steve Grogan, Tony Eason or Andre Tippett are.

As for me, I sort of liked the Pats in 2001, as that was my first year in fantasy football, and I got Brady off the waiver wire that year and rode him and Air McNair to the Super Bowl. I also loved that they beat the Raiders and Rams during that Super Bowl run after they abandoned Los Angeles.

Definitely the bandwagoning fans. As a huge NFL fan in the 80s and 90s, I don't remember one Pats fan I ever ran into. After 2001, they were coming out of the woodwork, acting like they'd been there all along, when in actuality, they probably gave up on 2001 when they started 0-2 and Bledsoe went down. I bet most Pats fans these days don't even know who Steve Grogan, Tony Eason or Andre Tippett are.

I bet most do....

3. The Pats offense is extremely pass-happy and successful. As bizarre as it sounds, many NFL fans have an innate love/respect for team's that employ a smashmouth/run-first style offense -- which seems more traditional. Similarly, many NFL fans (for some reason) dislike pass-happy offenses, seeing such teams as "weak" or "finesse."

Where is the hatred for the Colts then? If I remember correctly noone was saying anything bad about the Colts three or four years ago when they burst onto the scene with their pass happy offense. There might be a lot of reasons to hate the Patriots but this is not one of them.

As for me, I sort of liked the Pats in 2001, as that was my first year in fantasy football, and I got Brady off the waiver wire that year and rode him and Air McNair to the Super Bowl. I also loved that they beat the Raiders and Rams during that Super Bowl run after they abandoned Los Angeles.

It seems people want to label all fans of winning teams as bandwagon fans. Some idiot called me that on this site. I hate to break the news, but I have always been a Cowboys fan and endured three 5-11 seasons not too long ago. Watched every game and didn't complain because they were my team. You can never tell who is a true bandwagon fan, and to say a person on this site is a bandwagon simply because you don't appreciate their die hard support is wrong. I think the main reason for the hatred is jealousy. The Cowboys, Yankees, Patriots, Lakers even the Spurs all have haters and they only hate them because their teams lost to them. All winning teams have fans who are proud of their team and come off as arrogant. Who cares? The people who label all die hard fans as bandwagon are just trying to steal their enjoyment. It seems to be the last resort of the person who can't knock the winning team, so he starts calling people bandwagon in an attempt to marginalize them. Most bandwagon fans are not posting on FF sites on a Saturday. I think most, if not all of the people on this site are true fans. You can never tell how many losing seasons a fan has endured, and maybe they have earned the right to be happy in their teams success. :sleep:

It seems people want to label all fans of winning teams as bandwagon fans. Some idiot called me that on this site. I hate to break the news, but I have always been a Cowboys fan and endured three 5-11 seasons not too long ago. Watched every game and didn't complain because they were my team. You can never tell who is a true bandwagon fan, and to say a person on this site is a bandwagon simply because you don't appreciate their die hard support is wrong. I think the main reason for the hatred is jealousy. The Cowboys, Yankees, Patriots, Lakers even the Spurs all have haters and they only hate them because their teams lost to them. All winning teams have fans who are proud of their team and come off as arrogant. Who cares? The people who label all die hard fans as bandwagon are just trying to steal their enjoyment. It seems to be the last resort of the person who can't knock the winning team, so he starts calling people bandwagon in an attempt to marginalize them. Most bandwagon fans are not posting on FF sites on a Saturday. I think most, if not all of the people on this site are true fans. You can never tell how many losing seasons a fan has endured, and maybe they have earned the right to be happy in their teams success. :wacko:

Well, I put bandwagon fans in a couple different catagories. First there's the fan of teams from other areas. People who latched onto the Cowboys, Steelers or 49ers when they were kids because they were winners at the time. Even though they may have stayed loyal doesn't mean they're not bandwagon fans. If you're not from Texas, I might consider you a bandwagon Cowboys fan even though you suffered though a few bad seasons. I also wouldn't consider them "your team" since they belong to the people of Dallas. But I have no idea where you're from, so I don't know. Just using that as an example.

The other is the lukewarm fan, who suddenly became diehard when their team started to be successful. They're the ones who have technically been Pats fans (or whomever) all their life, but really couldn't give two shakes about them until they started becoming winners. Then all of a sudden they're lifelong, diehard fans. I guess that's also what you'd call a fairweather fan. But they are bandwagoners of sorts. Indifferent one minute, "passionate" the next. Since there was a time when the Pats couldn't sell out their stadium, it's safe to assume a great number of these people exist.

And then there's the "I have a 2nd favorite team" group that it appears you might fall into. 'In case my teams sucks for a while, I've got this other team to fall back on so my self esteem won't suffer during the lean years.' That's a bandwagon group also.

There may be one or two more.

The fans I respect are the ones who have lived and died with their hometown team since they were knee high to a grasshopper and never deviated from their loyalty, never had eyes for another team, and never cooled in their interest for that team. That, IMO, is the definition of a true fan.

I have had the chance to meet several people from Boston, I even have relatives from Boston and I have to say that they all come across as arrogant a$$es. I wouldn't say that I hate them but watching them succeed at anything makes me nauseous. There is definately a "Boston against the world" kind of thing going on these days but I think it is good for sports.

Well, I put bandwagon fans in a couple different catagories. First there's the fan of teams from other areas. People who latched onto the Cowboys, Steelers or 49ers when they were kids because they were winners at the time. Even though they may have stayed loyal doesn't mean they're not bandwagon fans. If you're not from Texas, I might consider you a bandwagon Cowboys fan even though you suffered though a few bad seasons. I also wouldn't consider them "your team" since they belong to the people of Dallas. But I have no idea where you're from, so I don't know. Just using that as an example.

The other is the lukewarm fan, who suddenly became diehard when their team started to be successful. They're the ones who have technically been Pats fans (or whomever) all their life, but really couldn't give two shakes about them until they started becoming winners. Then all of a sudden they're lifelong, diehard fans. I guess that's also what you'd call a fairweather fan. But they are bandwagoners of sorts. Indifferent one minute, "passionate" the next. Since there was a time when the Pats couldn't sell out their stadium, it's safe to assume a great number of these people exist.

And then there's the "I have a 2nd favorite team" group that it appears you might fall into. 'In case my teams sucks for a while, I've got this other team to fall back on so my self esteem won't suffer during the lean years.' That's a bandwagon group also.

There may be one or two more.

The fans I respect are the ones who have lived and died with their hometown team since they were knee high to a grasshopper and never deviated from their loyalty, never had eyes for another team, and never cooled in their interest for that team. That, IMO, is the definition of a true fan.

Interesting, so why am I an second favorite team again? You claim I might fall into that group? Curious, since I actually live in Dallas, TX and have been a Cowboys fan my entire life. Guess that makes me the true Cowboys fan. Seriously, why did you think I was a second favorite team person? Was it my mention of the other teams like the Lakers, Spurs and Patriots in my post? I was only illustrating the fact that most successful franchises have haters.

So the Raiders refs would have cheated?

If by cheating, you mean made the right call, then yes. The Raiders refs would have cheated.

I have had the chance to meet several people from Boston, I even have relatives from Boston and I have to say that they all come across as arrogant a$$es. I wouldn't say that I hate them but watching them succeed at anything makes me nauseous. There is definately a "Boston against the world" kind of thing going on these days but I think it is good for sports.

If the Pats win the Superbowl and the Celtics go deep in the NBA Playoffs, they will be intolerable, since the Red Sox won the title as well.

Where is the hatred for the Colts then? If I remember correctly noone was saying anything bad about the Colts three or four years ago when they burst onto the scene with their pass happy offense. There might be a lot of reasons to hate the Patriots but this is not one of them.

HOLY SH!T! WERE YOU FVCKING BLIND OR DEAF?

If you're able to pull up threads on message boards from 2004, you'll see nothing but Pats fans bashing Manning, calling him a stat padder and a guy that's blatantly running up the score, and ripping on him anytime he lost a big game.

You just showed another reason why Pats fans are so fvcking hatable! Let me guess, your team is going to play the "underdog, no respect" angle again? Those plucky Patriots and their never-say-die attitude. :rolleyes:

Like I said, people of losing teams are jealous of the Pats, and they are just hating. Pathetic, since they would not care if their team was the dominant team. :rolleyes:

Dominance via any means? No, I would be ashamed. Although I do not blame the players, the Patriots as a franchise sold their soul. They are now the enemy.

HOLY SH!T! WERE YOU FVCKING BLIND OR DEAF?

If you're able to pull up threads on message boards from 2004, you'll see nothing but Pats fans bashing Manning, calling him a stat padder and a guy that's blatantly running up the score, and ripping on him anytime he lost a big game.

You just showed another reason why Pats fans are so fvcking hatable! Let me guess, your team is going to play the "underdog, no respect" angle again? Those plucky Patriots and their never-say-die attitude. :rolleyes:

I like your style GiantsRule. :thumbsdown:

Take no prisoners!