Sign in to follow this  
bigmark3333

Why Do People Hate the Pats?

I see all of these threads of people bickering at eachother, and this will probably be another one, but I find them kind've amusing. All of it though, has made me wonder why it really happens. I know the one side is Pats fans getting overly defensive about their beloved team and this causes tons of arguments, but why do so many people feel the need to rag on them in the first place. I mean I am by no means a Pats fan (actually Browns fan), but I think its kind've awesome what they are doing. Watching them absolutely dismantle teams is something that has rarely if ever been seen before in not only football, but all of sports. Watching great players at their best destroying records may not win them a girl scout award, but it is history and cool to watch. I mean people are whining recently about Washington and Buffalo getting destroyed by 50, but are looking past the fact that Washington nearly beat arguably the best team in the NFC last week (whom the Pats also beat by 3 td's), and that Buffalo had won 4 straight and wouldve been 6 straight if they didnt blow that game vs Dallas 5 weeks ago. It is really amazing that good teams are getting beat so bad that there are actually discussions about them being able to run up the score so horribly each week. This reminds me of Jordan and the Bulls at their prime just intimidating and beating the crap out of their opponents and something that is rarely seen.

With all this being said, why is there so much hate against it?

Is it the past cheating that people despise?

Do people hate Bill Belicheck for being a "######"? (Which I can see why people dislike him, but I actually like his attitude that he can and will stick it to the league and doesnt give a ######)

Do people just hate the Pats in general from the past or that Brady's a pretty boy?

Do people hate their cocky attitudes?

Hate Boston sports and Boston in General?

Just hate on very good teams (I hate the Yankees and one of the classiest champs - The Spurs for no apparent reason)

To be quite honest I think most people just hate the Pats fans that come in here and tell how awesome their team is, and because of that people hate the team back.

Now this probalby will turn into a flamefest, which I dont care because I'll only come back to read it quick and probably wont post again, but all the Pats haters who waste so much time on here arguing with the man-love of their fans my question is:

Why do you hate the Pats so much?

Why did everybody hate the Cowboys in the early 90's? Why did everybody hate the Niners in the 80's? The Steelers in the 70's? Jordan's Bulls were the only recent dynasty I can remember that didn't suffer such a backlash...but having possibly the greatest professional athlete of all time playing for them probably had something to do with that.

The whole camera thing, for how much it got blown out of proportion added fuel to the fire, as has the running up of the scores. Also their QB is a pretty boy who seems to always come through in the clutch.

Me personally, I have no ties to New England, I HATE the Red Sox, but every year after the Seahawks get bounced out of the playoffs I root for the Pats. I think Brady might be the best QB ever, Bellichick is one of the best coaches ever, and they have some of the greatest front office people of all time. The entire organization just gets it. And it's fun to hear all the haters b!tch and whine :doublethumbsup:

Just hate the bandwagon fans. HTH :doublethumbsup:

I agree, I think it is more hatred for the fans, not the team. With the NE situation it maybe both.

I agree, I think it is more hatred for the fans, not the team. With the NE situation it maybe both.

Completely the fans. I am from New England and it's awesome to see the Red Sox, Pats and Celtics doing so well. But the fans are driving me nuts.

Some possible reasons:

1. Bill Belichek is unlikeable. He's a smart coach but seems very self-aware of his own intelligence (i.e. egotistical). He's a known adulterer who broke up another man's marriage. He treats opposing coaches like they are completely unworthy of his time/attention/respect. He dresses like an absolute bum -- almost as a kind of F-You to the NFL.

2. Spygate. Whether or not it really gave the Pats an edge in beating other teams, it gave that perception. Furthermore (and probably more damning from a PR perspective), rather than simply admit that he had been cheating, Belichek gave some ridiculous excuse, saying that his interpretations of the NFL's rules allowed for the filming of other team's signals.

3. The Pats offense is extremely pass-happy and successful. As bizarre as it sounds, many NFL fans have an innate love/respect for team's that employ a smashmouth/run-first style offense -- which seems more traditional. Similarly, many NFL fans (for some reason) dislike pass-happy offenses, seeing such teams as "weak" or "finesse."

4. Tom Brady is the QB on the best team in America with multiple SB rings and a string of attractive ladies and endorsement deals. Many NFL fans admire QBs who have proven their toughness/grit over their career (i.e. Brett Favre, John Elway, Steve McNair, etc.). Because NE's OL is soooo good, Brady rarely gets hit and NEVER gets sacked. As a result of his lack of big-hits (combined with his "pretty-boy" persona), Brady is often seen as being "softer" than other QBs.

5. Some of the NE players have done things that other teams/players deemed disrespectful. Examples include taunting players/fans from the sidelines or performing mock-dances at the conclusion of games (see: The Pats-Chargers game last year in which Pats' players mocked Shawne Merriman).

6. Despite their rampant success, the Pats' coaches/players seem to have a "woe-is-me" mentality in which everyone (from fans to the NFL to opposing teams) are somehow out to get them -- at least this is the impression given at many of their press-conferences/interviews.

7. The Pats have the perception of running-up-the-score. Rather than kicking FGs on 4th-down, the Patriots often go for the throat -- even when up by huge margins. Perhaps what is worse is that Belichek recently said something to the effect that it's disrespectful to opposing teams to kick FGs when they could give opposing defenses another chance to stop their offense on 4th-down. But does anyone really buy that argument?

I'm not saying that these are all valid reasons for disliking the Pats. Personally, I think most of the Pats negative PR is the result of Belichek. Not only is he unlikeable, but he says things (like the Spygate comment, like the 4th-down comment, etc.) that are complete BS. If Belicheck were more honest with his public statements (by saying: "Yeah, we cheated. I'm sorry." or "We go for it on 4th-down because we want to prove that we're the best team in the NFL."), I think there would be alot less to complain about. However, because he seems to always deflect criticism, he comes across as kind of a scumbag.

It's a shame, really, because I tend to think that, as brilliant of a coach as Belichek is, his personality/behavior sort of negates a lot of the amazing accomplishments of his players.

Just my $.02...

I probably misspelled "Belichek" in this entire post.  I didn't feel like looking up the spelling...

it is more hatred for the fans, not the team.

Completely the fans. I am from New England and it's awesome to see the Red Sox, Pats and Celtics doing so well. But the fans are driving me nuts.

First to the original poster. I don't ever recall the hatred towards a team as bad as it against the Patriots. Not even the yankees have had a period of such national hatred. Part of this is because media is everwhere and the internet, cable, and quick access to news makes it easier to dislike and find reasons to dislike teams. Regarding the Cowboys of the 90's, several members of the team got caught up in a cocaine and prostitution ring?, racket?, scandal?, whatever you want to call it. I could see why so many people disliked them nationally. I for one loved them and it had nothing to do with the coke and hoes. It was the dominant football that I loved.

To Hines 86. Bro I was born in Brighton and lived in Brighton and Watertown my whole life. The Boston and NewEngland fans are real fans, diehard fans, rabid fans, but it is beyond a shadow of a doubt that their is a massive amount of "Pink hats" infiltrating. Pink hats, Noun, definition: people that where pink Red Sox hats, usually those who just became fans the other day, often the loudest and least knowledgable

Last month right here in San Diego I asked this guy where he was from, he said "Boston" I said where, he said "I went to school at Northeastern" I said "where did you grow up" he said "Woodbury Connecticut". I mean are you kidding me? I mean at least Hines had the class to say New England. If you aren't from Mass you aren't from Boston. If you are from Cape Cod or Western Mass you aren't from Boston, unless your family is all from Boston. Be proud of where you are from and just declare I'm from (fill in the blank) it doesn't lessen your membership in Red Sox Nation or Patriots Nation. It's the New England Patriots and we all grew up watching the Sox on NESN. With all of these Boston movies, Good Will Hunting, Fever Pitch, Departed, Gone Baby Gone, Mystic River, Boondock Saints and that show about RI on Showtime, it is sort of in voque to be from Boston.

So that was a long winded way of saying, "as one of the most annoying Boston fans even I get annoyed at us sometimes!!"

POST THANKSGIVING - we have a scale out today. We are weighing each plate we eat and tracking it. Right now my buddy has eaten 2 lbs of food in the last 3 hours. I put like half a pound down and I'm gonna drop. We told my friend if he can eat 5 lbs by the end of the day we'll buy his drinks all weekend.

To Hines 86. Bro I was born in Brighton and lived in Brighton and Watertown my whole life. The Boston and NewEngland fans are real fans, diehard fans, rabid fans, but it is beyond a shadow of a doubt that their is a massive amount of "Pink hats" infiltrating. Pink hats, Noun, definition: people that where pink Red Sox hats, usually those who just became fans the other day, often the loudest and least knowledgable

It is the bandwagoner's that draw my hatred. Of Sox too. The pink hat wearing one's are the worst. I now live in CT, but grew up in the same town where Jim Rice, Larry Bird and Yaz all had homes when they played. I think the fact that Boston has so many colleges makes fans out of these 19 year old morons who act like they have been fans for 30 years.

By the way diehard Sox and C's fan :pointstosky:

people don't hate the pats, they're just tired of them. same thing happened to the 70s/90s cowboys, 90s bulls, and 80s lakers. after a period of dominance, it becomes trendy to find fault with a team.

plus, there's a very large pool of fans who have watched the pats crush their own team's dreams.

It's the damn fans. EVERYTHING has to be about the Patriots. You can't have any sort of differing opinion, or say anything somewhat negative. Even things that aren't "negative" like saying that you think Manning is the better QB between he and Brady means you're just a Pats hater and don't know anything. I've never seen a more defensive group and it just gets tiring that any mention of anyone the Pats have played or will play gets completely hijacked where everyone will undoubtedly watch Sho Nuff spend three pages refuting the same nonsense as before. If they' just kind of shut up and talk about things in threads that don't involve the Patriots, they'd be much more tolerable.

Some possible reasons:

4. Tom Brady is the QB on the best team in America with multiple SB rings and a string of attractive ladies and endorsement deals. Many NFL fans admire QBs who have proven their toughness/grit over their career (i.e. Brett Favre, John Elway, Steve McNair, etc.). Because NE's OL is soooo good, Brady rarely gets hit and NEVER gets sacked. As a result of his lack of big-hits (combined with his "pretty-boy" persona), Brady is often seen as being "softer" than other QBs.

Brady soft? I've never heard that before.

I thought you were a Steelers fan.

If games are never in doubt, they are most certainly boring.

Absolute dominance is terrible, in any league, real or Fantasy.

I don't hate the Pats, who are most certainly the least likeable dominant team, in any sport, in my memory.

80's Celtics and/Lakers - at least there was a rivalry.

90's Bulls - many of those playoff games were close, at least.

70's Islanders, 80's Oilers - I despised them both after their 2nd Championships. That's it - two Championships in an era and you are no longer capable of being the sentimental favorite.

90's Yankees - yawn

It goes on and on - wholesale dominance creates nothing but polarization - love (bandwagoners!) and hate (I would venture to say here - 'real sports fans', who enjoy competitive games).

I cheered for the Pats once, in the Superbowl against the Greatest Show - and yes, that was a fantastic Superbowl - great 2nd half, anyway.

After that - pure hate - of non-parity.

Any Given Sunday !!!!!!

almost always jealousy. no-one likes other fans shoving it in their face but then, when their team is on top, they shove it in other people's faces. nature of the game. i've been a colt & celtic fan for a gazillion years. seen more bad than good. as a colt fan, just happy to be here. we'll be healthy in the playoffs. might sneak up on the pats. might not. love what the celtics are finally doing. remember, god calls this a game. cancer is serious, games are not. but still o.k. to dish out the sh!t. by the way, this season is ending way too soon.

Because Randy Moss should still be a Viking if not for that bastard used car salesman Red McCombs.

Plus my Boston hatred extends to hoops (Garnett) and MLB (Ortiz), Boston can basically lick my balls. Boston is Minnesota sports East.

The fans have become the biggest d0uchebags this side of Eagles or Raiders fans. Talk about a town that doesn't deserve a single championship it wins, yet they just keep winning them. Brady could throw for 100 TDs in a season; good for him. But his fans make you wish his arm would come flying off...literally.

Perhaps if they were less arrogant, and you know, actually appreciated their success rather than throw it in others' faces, maybe the hatred wouldn't be as deep.

I thought you were a Steelers fan.

I am but the success of Boston is great. I have never said I hate the Pats. I grew up going to games in the late 70s/early 80s at Schaffer Stadium. I just hate the new breed of Pats fan.

Because Randy Moss should still be a Viking if not for that bastard used car salesman Red McCombs.

Plus my Boston hatred extends to hoops (Garnett) and MLB (Ortiz), Boston can basically lick my balls. Boston is Minnesota sports East.

Don't forget when the Sox get Santana!! :thumbsup:

i am from new england as well. i don't hate the patriots but i do hate bill belichek and i hate humble pie. it's nice to have a hometown team win but as much as i love football there games aren't watchable.

also i think the red sox have more bandwagon fans than the patriots.

I would say the biggest thing is all the throwing on 4th down in opponents' territory when they are up big. I have been watching NFL games passionately for about 25 or so years and I never recall a team doing this to this extent. I have seen lots of talented offenses that could have done it but chose not to.

Without passing judgment, it's just different.

Don't forget when the Sox get Santana!! :thumbsup:

I'm officially done with baseball if (and when) this happens.

If the Mets don't get him, they didn't try hard enough.

Brady soft? I've never heard that before.

I don't actually agree with that criticism of the Pats; but I've definitely heard it.

I've heard several people say something to the effect of: "Well, yeah...it's easy for Tom Brady to put up all those points when no teams are hitting/pressuring him and when he rarely gets sacked." As a result of Brady not being hit/sacked alot, some people equate that with him being "soft." But, IMO, this shouldn't be a criticism of Brady -- it simply speaks to how excellent the Pats' OL has played this season...

I do agree, their coach has brought most of the heat upon the entire team. Many people have stated over the years that Bellichik is not very out going and personable. I say BS to that, He is a NFL Coach and reguardless has to deal with the media.

As any other type of Head Coach, from College back to Little Leagues, you need a thick skin to deal with all aspects of the game. I'll give Bellichik and Big middle finger and stick it up his Arse.

I do follow them,since having a local area player on their team with Dan Koppen from Whitehall,Pa. Most Lehigh Valley residences that I know,will follow local atheletes and support them. Even the Media created Hype, seems directed towards the Coach. The blame for it IMO lays directly at his feet. I've never heard any of their players really talk a ton of trash,disrespect other teams publicly. Kudos to them, For anyone who as ever played any football,College down to little leagues, they are a great example of how to act and play. Screw the whining pussies about running up the score. Go take that cr@p back to the soccer games.

There are only 2 choices, win or lose, the only problem stems from how that is taken and viewed publicly, from a player's view, to coach and as a team. Again, Bellichik's fault for not publicly displaying the dignity after the game.

I am but the success of Boston is great. I have never said I hate the Pats. I grew up going to games in the late 70s/early 80s at Schaffer Stadium. I just hate the new breed of Pats fan.

Did you become a Steelers fan because of the "new breed" of Pats fan?

First off I have been the brunt of many Mephisto's rants, and the fact is he is a riot.

Some personalities were built here long ago. If you cant beat em' and can't join em' , lurk and learn.

Too many people post here that should be watching.

Posting these kind of threads is actually a good way to get yourself "kicked off the island".

:pointstosky:

People hate the Pats for the same reason they hate the Yankees, the Cowboys and every team that has a history of winning. They are jealous losers and have nothing better to do. :pointstosky:

This is why I hate the Pats. Every Raider fan knows that Brady pulled the ball back down after a pump fake and FUMBLED the ball. :thumbsdown:

BS Call -- Snow Job

It is the tuck rule! The raiders got owned the next season in the Superbowl, so it is not like they would have won against the Rams if that play was not called. The cornerstone of the Patriots Dynasty is that call. :music_guitarred:

It is the tuck rule! The raiders got owned the next season in the Superbowl, so it is not like they would have won against the Rams if that play was not called. The cornerstone of the Patriots Dynasty is that call. :music_guitarred:

Which was dead wrong. Pats got the hometown call. Had that play been on an opposing field, they'd only have two championships (which is still impressive).

Pats got two things handed to them that year: the call in the Raiders game AND Brady unjustly getting Super Bowl MVP (he was the 4th MVP on that team at best).

Which was dead wrong. Pats got the hometown call. Had that play been on an opposing field, they'd only have two championships (which is still impressive).

Pats got two things handed to them that year: the call in the Raiders game AND Brady unjustly getting Super Bowl MVP (he was the 4th MVP on that team at best).

"NFL Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2, Note 2: When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble."

This is an NFL rule, and I bring facts to this discussion. Stop whining! :music_guitarred:

"NFL Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2, Note 2: When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble."

This is an NFL rule, and I bring facts to this discussion. Stop whining! :music_guitarred:

The rule is right. The play wasn't.

The raiders got owned the next season in the Superbowl, so it is not like they would have won against the Rams if that play was not called.

God, you are a focking idiot. :cry: