Sign in to follow this  
itsbigmoni

easy and quick jambalaya recipe

I don't want a recipe that takes 8 hours of preparation and cooking. Does anyone have a recipe that takes only around an hour or so?

I think Sports Illustrated had a yummy sounding recipe by Michael Grant (DE from the Saints). I don't have it handy, but try searching for it.

here's a 2-step recipe that my granny handed down.

1. go to grocery store.

2. buy some jambalaya.

YW

If you dont have time to do justice to one of the south's finest contributions then dont cook it. Fix a ham sammy and call it a day.

I was gonna suggest Zatarain's also. I am a gumbo fanatic and used to make it from scratch stirring a roux for an hour, etc. After discovering Zatarains gumbo in a box, I just add sausage & either shrimp or chicken simmer an hour. The jamalaya mix is equally good. Just make sure you get a loaf of crusty french bread to accompany. Enjoy.

Thanks for the responses. I'll let you know how it turned out. I'll try each one and give a review.

wash it down with a slurpee

I don't want a recipe that takes 8 hours of preparation and cooking. Does anyone have a recipe that takes only around an hour or so?

Boil one package of Zartan's jambalaya mix rice - makes I think about 8 cups.

I typically make a package of fried chicken cutlets using 1 part cajun seasoning to 4 parts bread crumbs and mince it.

Brown in a frying pan one package of spicy italian sausage minced like ground beef.

Fry until deeply browned the veggies - red and green peppers, jalapenos and habeneros, and onions.

Mix meat and veggies into the rice in a large crock pot.

Add in salt and tobasco to taste.

After you've heated it in the pot, add 2-3 bottles of very hoppy beer - Sierra Nevada works well. With the frying oil and cajun mix this makes a spicy, tangy red/brown gravy.

Heat and serve.

Not authentic, but I've made this several times and everybody f'ing loves it. :music_guitarred:

Boil one package of Zartan's jambalaya mix rice - makes I think about 8 cups.

I typically make a package of fried chicken cutlets using 1 part cajun seasoning to 4 parts bread crumbs and mince it.

Brown in a frying pan one package of spicy italian sausage minced like ground beef.

Fry until deeply browned the veggies - red and green peppers, jalapenos and habeneros, and onions.

Mix meat and veggies into the rice in a large crock pot.

Add in salt and tobasco to taste.

After you've heated it in the pot, add 2-3 bottles of very hoppy beer - Sierra Nevada works well. With the frying oil and cajun mix this makes a spicy, tangy red/brown gravy.

Heat and serve.

Not authentic, but I've made this several times and everybody f'ing loves it. :o

WELCHER!

Start with bell pepper, onion, and celery all chopped finally with about 10 cloves of gahlic (Emeril style). Sautee in olive oil until soft and add some tomato paste. Most important part of the whole recipe...Pince the tomato paste...meaning cook it with the vegetables until its almost brown. That cooks out all of the tomato taste and leaves you with a sort of smoky flavor. Add a couple of cans of tomatoes and some broth (chicken or beef or whatever really) and bring to a boil and let it simmer for a little while. Add some cooked chicken (dark meat works best) and andoille sausage and serve over rice. Oh yeah...add some cajun seasoning in there somewhere like Tony's (not even going to try to spell dude's last name) and also some LOUISIANA hot sauce. Also, if you got it, some File wouldn't hurt.

Trust me on the pincing of the tomato paste...if you don't do that the whole pot will taste like a big fat tomato.

I would never consider this Jambalaya, but, take a pound of frozen shrimp (40 count), some kielbasa (cut up into 1/2 inch slices, then quartered) and add them to 3 packages of Mahatma Red Beans and Rice and you have fake Jambalaya in about 25 minutes. To do it even better, take some butter, flour, seasoning, cut up peppers, onions and celery and saute them (DO NOT BURN), then add the aforementioned. That will take about 30-40 minutes total.

I would never consider this Jambalaya, but, take a pound of frozen shrimp (40 count), some kielbasa (cut up into 1/2 inch slices, then quartered) and add them to 3 packages of Mahatma Red Beans and Rice and you have fake Jambalaya in about 25 minutes. To do it even better, take some butter, flour, seasoning, cut up peppers, onions and celery and saute them (DO NOT BURN), then add the aforementioned. That will take about 30-40 minutes total.

:doh: You just made red beans and rice with one pound of shrimp in it. Fake jambalaya?:D