Sign in to follow this  
urban1

What a meltdown by the Ravens

Meltdown by the Ravens or a gift with a ribbon on top straight from the refs to the Pats?

:overhead:

Rex Ryan - called a heck of a game right up until that point

No team can overcome a determined referee crew.

:first:

Sorry for getting this back on topic, but was it confirmed that Rex Ryan called that timeout?

Yup, ol' Rex was calling the TO. Obviously, he's proven the fact he over-coached the situation, over-managed his defense and clearly did not trust his defense. If he had just trusted the D, the Ravens stoned Brady and would have had the ball with 1:41 left.

Rex cannot control everything even though there are coaches/managers in pro sports who believe they can (Tony LaRussa, Mike Shanahan, etc..) and by calling that timeout when your defense is amped up to stop the Pats, he totally took the teeth out of his team.

I didn't think a TO can be called by anyone other than a Head Coach or a player? :music_guitarred:

That brings up an interesting question- who is allowed to call a timeout?...What if its a special teams coach or DB coach?...how about a towel boy on the team's sideline?...or an inactive practice-squad player?...

I didn't think a TO can be called by anyone other than a Head Coach or a player? :music_guitarred:

They discussed this topic this morning on ESPN. Bottom line is this: Per the Rule Book, only the HC can all a time-out. However, in practice, this makes no sense. The coaches don't wear any distiniguising clothing or insignia and more importantly, on last minute time outs a ref shouldn't be LOOKING at the sideline. He hears "time-out!" and he doesn't have time to check the guy's credentials - he calls time out. Bad coaching on the part of the Ravens. Good teams have protocols and discipline for that kind of thing.

The T.O. was called because the sideline thought, just as it happened, that Brady was gonna do that quick snap sneak play. If the Pats would have gotten it, the coach would have looked like a genius. But since Brady was stopped while the whistle was blowing it is somehow a complete meltdown. Holy hyperbole.

They discussed this topic this morning on ESPN. Bottom line is this: Per the Rule Book, only the HC can all a time-out. However, in practice, this makes no sense. The coaches don't wear any distiniguising clothing or insignia and more importantly, on last minute time outs a ref shouldn't be LOOKING at the sideline. He hears "time-out!" and he doesn't have time to check the guy's credentials - he calls time out. Bad coaching on the part of the Ravens. Good teams have protocols and discipline for that kind of thing.

<_<

Yup. I'm sure Billick said something to Ryan and the rest of his coaches and players after the game.

I don't know why he called the timeout because it appeared they were lined up properly before the snap. Obviously the players on the field were ready for the quick snap.

The second time the Ravens stuffed the Pats on 4th down (not the Rex Ryan one), the play was called back because NE called time out. But I could have sworn that the replays showed it was one of NE coordinators (not Belichick) calling the timeout just before the ball was snapped.

So both times, it wasn't the head coach calling the timeout. Do you remember who actually stated "only the HC can all a time-out"?

The second time the Ravens stuffed the Pats on 4th down (not the Rex Ryan one), the play was called back because NE called time out. But I could have sworn that the replays showed it was one of NE coordinators (not Belichick) calling the timeout just before the ball was snapped.

So both times, it wasn't the head coach calling the timeout. Do you remember who actually stated "only the HC can all a time-out"?

They read from the rule book. If it's true that happen twice, then it's not just Rex's fault - that's crap leadership by the HC. That shiit should have been established one day one.

The second time the Ravens stuffed the Pats it was "no play" because the refs called illegal motion/procedure on the Pats. NO ONE called a timeout. This is why the Pats then had to convert 4th and 6 instead of 4th and 1. Brady then ran for the first down to keep the ball. Just awful luck and timing for the Ravens. And that fact that illegal motion often isn't called if it happens simultaneous to the snap.

The second time the Ravens stuffed the Pats it was "no play" because the refs called illegal motion/procedure on the Pats. NO ONE called a timeout. This is why the Pats then had to convert 4th and 6 instead of 4th and 1. Brady then ran for the first down to keep the ball. Just awful luck and timing for the Ravens. And that fact that illegal motion often isn't called if it happens simultaneous to the snap.

Yes, but I could have sworn that the false start penalty was actually called AFTER the timeout was completed - meaning, the Pats called timeout moments before they got stuffed, then on the ensuing paly, the false start. Maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly. :thumbsup:

I was under the impression they called an illegal motion penalty, and if that's the case, why was the play blown dead at the LOS? The play is always allowed to go on even after a flag for illegal motion is thrown.

I was under the impression they called an illegal motion penalty, and if that's the case, why was the play blown dead at the LOS? The play is always allowed to go on even after a flag for illegal motion is thrown.

I believe it was a false start. The NE right guard started moving forward and to his left before the snap as I remember seeing on the replay.

I believe it was a false start. The NE right guard started moving forward and to his left before the snap as I remember seeing on the replay.

Yep, false start.

But I'm sure backing them up five on fourth and one was all part of helping them along towards winning the game. :doublethumbsup:

Yup, ol' Rex was calling the TO. Obviously, he's proven the fact he over-coached the situation, over-managed his defense and clearly did not trust his defense. If he had just trusted the D, the Ravens stoned Brady and would have had the ball with 1:41 left.

Rex cannot control everything even though there are coaches/managers in pro sports who believe they can (Tony LaRussa, Mike Shanahan, etc..) and by calling that timeout when your defense is amped up to stop the Pats, he totally took the teeth out of his team.

The replay showed Ryan signaling the TO, but that doesn't mean he called it on his own. Billick, in his press conference after the game, took responsibility for the TO, saying they didn't think they were in the right formation. Maybe he was just taking the heat for Ryan, but it's very possible that Billick wanted the timeout and Ryan was just helping to draw the refs' attention.

Yep, false start.

But I'm sure backing them up five on fourth and one was all part of helping them along towards winning the game. :dunno:

Kinda. That short the Pats probably would have still run which the Ravens could have stuffed again. I knew they'd convert it if they dropped back to pass. Especially since for some reason they had stopped bringing the pressure that had been working most of the game.

The T.O. was called because the sideline thought, just as it happened, that Brady was gonna do that quick snap sneak play. If the Pats would have gotten it, the coach would have looked like a genius. But since Brady was stopped while the whistle was blowing it is somehow a complete meltdown. Holy hyperbole.

I agree with this. If they had gotten a first down and if it was then negated by a brilliant time out, he would have been a hero. I can see why they may have wanted to call the TO, but the defense was on a high and looked ready for whatever Brady was ready to throw at them.

I agree. The call is always easy in hindsight.

Anyone happens to notice the Patriots O line stopped blocking when they heard the whistle, which is why Brady was stopped so easily. If you watch the patriots enough, you'll know Brady has never been stopped on a QB sneak on 4th and 1.