Sign in to follow this  
BufordT

one year fluke.....

The top ten wr's (cumulative points) outscored the top ten rb's. The current tally in one of my leagues is as follows....

2007 wr's 1806 points rb's 1739 points ...... a very close battle, but not so close in previous years...rb's blew away the wr's

2006 wr's 1283 points rb's 2295 points

2005 wr's 1363 points rb's 2089 points

2004 wr's 1463 points rb's 2071 points

2003 wr's 1377 points rb's 2168 points

2002 wr's 1359 points rb's 2238 points

What's my point?? Not sure. But the NFL is an offensive game these days and the rules are set up more than ever to favor the wide receiver's.

Most FF leagues require to start 2 rb's and 3 wr's. I'm thinking in years to come it'll be more important to fill quality players in 4 of the 5 slots.

Meaning three good wideouts and 1 good running back could have you a good team. The stud rb theory(which I always favored) will no longer be.

OK.....let me have it.

I think alot of it might have to do with the fact so many early picks that were RB's had terrible seasons, L.Johnson, S.Jackson, S.Alexander, R.Johnson, L.Maroney, T.Henry, D.McAllister, T.Jones, C.Williams, C.Benson, F.Gore. I bet almost all of these guys were drafted in the first 2 rounds and surely within' the first 3. That could have something to do with it...

Peace...

I think alot of it might have to do with the fact so many early picks that were RB's had terrible seasons, L.Johnson, S.Jackson, S.Alexander, R.Johnson, L.Maroney, T.Henry, D.McAllister, T.Jones, C.Williams, C.Benson, F.Gore. I bet almost all of these guys were drafted in the first 2 rounds and surely within' the first 3. That could have something to do with it...

Peace...

That's exactly the reason. I can't ever remember a FF year like this one where so many 1st and 2nd tier RBs went down and out for the entire season. Actually, I can't ever recall there being this many injuries to FF.

The top ten wr's (cumulative points) outscored the top ten rb's. The current tally in one of my leagues is as follows....

2007 wr's 1806 points rb's 1739 points ...... a very close battle, but not so close in previous years...rb's blew away the wr's

What's my point?? Not sure. But the NFL is an offensive game these days and the rules are set up more than ever to favor the wide receiver's.

Most FF leagues require to start 2 rb's and 3 wr's. I'm thinking in years to come it'll be more important to fill quality players in 4 of the 5 slots.

Meaning three good wideouts and 1 good running back could have you a good team. The stud rb theory(which I always favored) will no longer be.

OK.....let me have it.

Trend.

OK.....let me have it.

Are you in a PPR league? I only ask because I ran the tallies for 3 of my 4 leagues, and found the top ten RB's outscored the WR's in all 3 leagues.

TD only league: RB: 853 WR: 849 Difference of 4 points

standard league with decimal scoring: RB: 1425.59 WR: 1290.15 Difference of 135.44

Free NFL.com league: RB: 2055 WR: 1822 difference of 233

Randy Moss and LT were clearly in a tier by themselves this season, so I ran the totals of 2-11 and got even more scoring differential favoring RB's.

TD league RB: 786 WR: 756 Diff 30

Decimal scoring RB: 1329.71 WR: 1195.85 Diff 133.86

NFL.com RB: 2087 WR: 1711 Diff 376

At first I thought maybe my leagues scoring was off, but when I ran the NFL.com free league that a coworker talked me into playing for fun, I found the results were similar. I think NFL.com free leagues have pretty standard scoring don't they? So what is the scoring differences in your league? It must either be PPR or something else that favors WR's.

Randy Moss and LT were clearly in a tier by themselves this season

Westbrook was right behind LT in all of my leagues.

OK.....let me have it.

Kinda answered your own question. In your scoring system this year the RB point total was the lowest ever over the past 6 years. Also the WR point total is at its all time high over the past 6 years. This is clearly not a trend more of a fluke. Using the explanation that NFL is more an offensive game these days can only be put on the depletion of qaulity defenses. I can't think of one single rule change over the past 6 years that would be the reason for such a WR spike in points this year. And like always in these arguments its who ya take. Case in point if you the guy who took Holt and Chad Johnson and M. Harrison and Steve Smith. Those was the easily the top rated WR going into the Year outside of T.O. who actually produced where he was projected to go.

Guest ramrock11

Running Backs by Committee are killing fantasy football

Westbrook was right behind LT in all of my leagues.

NFL.com

Tier 1:

Tomlinson 284

Tier 2:

Westbrook 260

Tier 3:

Addai 220

Peterson 219

Tier 4:

Lewis 195

Portis 190

Barber 187

Fluke. Tomlinson is probably going to win the rushing title with less than 1500 yards. That is very low compared to the last few years. Although, this comparison of top WRs vs top RBs is probably why I finally won a championship in my fantasy league with my WR-heavy team! :dunno:

top 10 RB's in my league.

Tomlinson, LaDainian 335.6

Westbrook, Brian 311.5

Peterson, Adrian 283.3

Addai, Joseph 260.1

Portis, Clinton 224

Lewis, Jamal 223.3

Barber, Marion 218.8

McGahee, Willis 206.8

Gore, Frank 196.3

Graham, Earnest 194.2

Total: 2462.9

Top 10 WR's in my league.

Moss, Randy 316.3

Owens, Terrell 280

Edwards, Braylon 248.2

Wayne, Reggie 229.7

Jennings, Greg 212

Houshmandzadeh, 200.2

Fitzgerald, Larry 190.1

Burress, Plaxico 184.1

Johnson, Chad 182.7

Colston, Marques 176.8

Total: 2220.1

Interesting topic........ :music_guitarred:

I was 5th in scoring in my league yet won the #1 seed. Granted my weekly strength of schedule was the easiest (within 10 points of the toughest though) but my scores were pretty consistent and I left some points on the bench here and there. I made it to the championship match for this coming weekend matched against the #6 seed that was fourth in scoring in our league. Both of us are within 100 points of the league's scoring leader and really close to all the others. This lends itself to the argument that head to head FF has an element of luck but also consistency. I finished 10-4 and he finished 7-7 riding a six game winning streak into the playoffs.

Thinking towards next year's draft, I wondered what my team and the other guy's team had in common. We both had troubles at RB this year (he had MBIII and picked up Graham late on WW) (I had Gore, MJD and WW pickups) and our defenses/kickers were inconsistent. A couple things stood out though.

Both teams had good/great QBs:

Mine were Big Ben and Warner

His were D. Anderson traded late for Brees

Both teams had Stud WRs:

Mine were T.J. and Wayne.

He traded for Coulston and T.O. during the season.

Both teams had Stud TEs:

I had Winslow

He had Tony Gonzales

I think this year, Pats-Brady's 'pass happy' offense has been the proverbial rabbit driving other teams to throw more, hence the greater value of QBs/WRs/TEs this season.

Next year may hold something different but I believe I'll follow this years success by going RB/RB/WR/WR and then shift depending on who's left.

Running Backs by Committee are killing fantasy football

Injuries to top RB's is THE cause, RBBC is a symptom of that.

Randy Moss outscored LT in all three of my leagues...so far...all with very different scoring systems.

The difference between rb and wr is 240, that spread had to be greater in previous years. Can you look that up for me???

KIDDING!!

2007 wr's 1806 points rb's 1739 points

Tomlinson, LaDainian 335.6

Westbrook, Brian 311.5

Peterson, Adrian 283.3

Addai, Joseph 260.1

Portis, Clinton 224

Lewis, Jamal 223.3

Barber, Marion 218.8

McGahee, Willis 206.8

Gore, Frank 196.3

Graham, Earnest 194.2

Moss, Randy 316.3

Owens, Terrell 280

Edwards, Braylon 248.2

Wayne, Reggie 229.7

Jennings, Greg 212

Houshmandzadeh, 200.2

Fitzgerald, Larry 190.1

Burress, Plaxico 184.1

Johnson, Chad 182.7

Colston, Marques 176.8

My league:

2007 wr's 1822 points rb's 2053 points

2006 wr's 1751 points rb's 2537 points

2005 wr's 1854 points rb's 2421 points

I'd take a look at your data again. There is either a sloppy mistake, or you have a seriously flawed scoring system.

There was a slight upward trend this year for the Top Ten WRs, largely attributable to the off the charts season by Moss & Owens.

There was a significant downward trend for Top Ten RBs, and the obvious reasons have been articulated in this thread already.

The trend only appears in your data alone. The fluke is in your numbers.

Trend for 2 reasons:

1) Top wr's are easier to pick out and are easier to predict.

2) Top wr's don't get lost for entire seasons as easily.

Guest ramrock11
Injuries to top RB's is THE cause, RBBC is a symptom of that.

Seems to me that it's the other way around this year.

Randy Moss outscored LT in all three of my leagues...so far...all with very different scoring systems.

The difference between rb and wr is 240, that spread had to be greater in previous years. Can you look that up for me???

KIDDING!!

Tomlinson outscored Moss in 2 of my 3 leagues. The only one Moss outscored LT in was the TD only league. That is because Moss has 21 TD's and LT scored 17. LT has outgained Moss in total yards by almost 500 yards at 1886-1393. The points for 500 yards is more than 4 TD's in most yardage based leagues.

ETA: LT's yards are 1418 rushing and 468 receiving for the total of 1886. Moss has no rushing yards so his total of 1393 is all receiving.