Sign in to follow this  
cblue

LT's teammates tell us what they think of his actions last Sunday.

Ultimately, it is LT's teammates that are the best indicator of LT's toughness and leadership qualities. It appears that they were so concerned with the way he acted last Sunday vs. the Patriots that they voted him team MVP and Offensive Player of the Year.

"Chargers players voted on team awards Monday and LT was named MVP and Offensive Player of the Year for the fifth time in his career." http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/que...ns-about-lt.htm

Only the people that LT plays with can truly say whether or not LT is tough. Only LT's teammates can truly say whether or not he is a good leader. None of LT's teammates have questioned his action last Sunday.

Put LT behind that Dallas offensive line and he surpasses Emmits stats and he wins the same number of Superbowls if not more! :headbanger:

Emmit would have been very average if it weren't for that offensive line he had.

Well if his teammates say he's classy that's good enough for me. :headbanger: :wave:

Put LT behind that Dallas offensive line and he surpasses Emmits stats and he wins the same number of Superbowls if not more! :headbanger:

Emmit would have been very average if it weren't for that offensive line he had.

Blah, blah, blah......Isn't there a statement....IF your grandma had balls........

Blah, blah, blah......Isn't there a statement....IF your grandma had balls........

at this point in their careers (7 seasons), LT is right on pace w/ Emmitt Smiff in rushing yards (10650 LT, 10160 Smiff).

however, LT is crushing Emmitt in Total Yds - 14025 v. 12360

these next few seasons will really be telling for LT, as Emmitt started "tailing off" in the next few seasons, but played 8 more years, only having 2 seasons above 1205 rushing yard.

I think Emmitt was great at the beginning of his career, but longevity was really the key to his "greatness" to be the all time leading rusher and 2nd in career yds from scrimmage. LT is sitting roughly 8,000 back in rushing yards, but only 7,000 back in total yards from scrimmage.

if LT keeps up his current pace (roughly 2,000 total yds per year) for even 2 more seasons (which would put him at 30 yrs of age), he'll still have 4,000 more yds to go, but should be able to reach Emmitt if he chooses to continue playing until he is 33 - while Emmitt played til he was 35...

honestly though, i don't think LT will play that long - especially if SD takes a major downturn after 2 years (w/ their youth, i think they should be "good" for at least 2 more years...).

I don't see how anyone can question his toughness. How many games has he missed due to injury in his career? Not many. And for allot of those years he was on crappy teams where he could have quit early in the season.

Either way he still looked like a dork standing on the sidelines like Darth Vader. :headbanger:

Well, his disappearing act came about ten games too late for me. But as a Michael Turner owner, I got a little preview of my feature back for next season... Chicago, Cleveland... I just hope he signs with a team that either has a great O-line, defense, or both.

at this point in their careers (7 seasons), LT is right on pace w/ Emmitt Smiff in rushing yards (10650 LT, 10160 Smiff).

these next few seasons will really be telling for LT, as Emmitt started "tailing off" in the next few seasons, but played 8 more years, only having 2 seasons above 1205 rushing yard.

Ah, the magic 1205 yard barrier. That has been a stumbling block for many backs. :thumbsup:

I couldn't figure out why you named such an arbitrary number, until I saw his stats. In his "tailing off" years he had 1204 yds one year and 1203 yds another. If you want to use a more traditional number; in his last 8 years he went over 1000 yards 5 times and averaged 1,024yds. Or I could try an spin the numbers the way you did and say in his last 8 years he went over 935 yards 7 times.

Chicago, Cleveland... I just hope he signs with a team that either has a great O-line, defense, or both.

I'm thinking these are two locations that Turner won't be. Jamal will be resigned, and Chicago is stuck with Benson. If Turner came to Chicago he'd only go to be the man, what would the Bears do with Benson in that case?

I'm thinking these are two locations that Turner won't be. Jamal will be resigned, and Chicago is stuck with Benson. If Turner came to Chicago he'd only go to be the man, what would the Bears do with Benson in that case?

Michael Turner = Denver

Turner will come home, In regards to what will happen with benson...i duno, but i honestly hope he gets traded, or sits on the bench.

Put LT behind that Dallas offensive line and he surpasses Emmits stats and he wins the same number of Superbowls if not more! :dunno:

he might have surpassed emmit's stats, but the cowboys would not have seen as much team success. say what you want about smith's abilities as a pure runner, but he was first and foremost a team leader. did you ever, ever see smith malingering on the sidelines while nursing a minor injury?

no--you saw him put up 200+ combined yards while toughing out a significant shoulder seperation because the team needed him.

Maybe.

This sh1t with Emmit Smith being one of the best RBs is focking ridiculous. Emmit is not even the best RB to play for the Cowboys.

Maybe.

This sh1t with Emmit Smith being one of the best RBs is focking ridiculous. Emmit is not even the best RB to play for the Cowboys.

:doh:

he might have surpassed emmit's stats, but the cowboys would not have seen as much team success. say what you want about smith's abilities as a pure runner, but he was first and foremost a team leader. did you ever, ever see smith malingering on the sidelines while nursing a minor injury?

no--you saw him put up 200+ combined yards while toughing out a significant shoulder seperation because the team needed him.

Emmit sustained minor injuries that allow you to continue to play.That shoulder injury had zero effect on his running and cutting ability-sure it hurt but it didn't slow him down. LT has played through injury too, he has only missed one game in his whole career due to injury- that's damn good.

Following your logic, Aikman is a poor leader because he didn't play through his injury (headache) when the team needed him.

LT> Emmit

Like I said, LT would obliterate Emmits stats if he played behind that Dallas offensive line. A lot of people don't think about that when they rank players. The offensive line is an important part of a RB's succes and their perfomance has to be taken into account.

I think Emmitt was great at the beginning of his career, but longevity was really the key to his "greatness" to be the all time leading rusher and 2nd in career yds from scrimmage. LT is sitting roughly 8,000 back in rushing yards, but only 7,000 back in total yards from scrimmage.

if LT keeps up his current pace (roughly 2,000 total yds per year) for even 2 more seasons (which would put him at 30 yrs of age), he'll still have 4,000 more yds to go, but should be able to reach Emmitt if he chooses to continue playing until he is 33 - while Emmitt played til he was 35...

honestly though, i don't think LT will play that long - especially if SD takes a major downturn after 2 years (w/ their youth, i think they should be "good" for at least 2 more years...).

I will say this about Emmit Smiff, he played for a long time. Most RB won't play that long and Emmits stats reflect that longevity. I would still rather have Sanders, Payton, Brown, Bo, Dickerson, LT or Sayers. :banana:

Ultimately, it is LT's teammates that are the best indicator of LT's toughness and leadership qualities. It appears that they were so concerned with the way he acted last Sunday vs. the Patriots that they voted him team MVP and Offensive Player of the Year.

"Chargers players voted on team awards Monday and LT was named MVP and Offensive Player of the Year for the fifth time in his career." http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/que...ns-about-lt.htm

Only the people that LT plays with can truly say whether or not LT is tough. Only LT's teammates can truly say whether or not he is a good leader. None of LT's teammates have questioned his action last Sunday.

Put LT behind that Dallas offensive line and he surpasses Emmits stats and he wins the same number of Superbowls if not more! :cheers:

Emmitt Smith is the 3rd best RB of all time. Let it go! It is obvious you are jealous of America's Team!

Emmitt Smith is the 3rd best RB of all time. Let it go! It is obvious you are jealous of America's Team!

The more I think of it, if I were to rank RB's on pure running ability, Emmit is definately NOT in my top 9 all-time. Emmit was a good RB, but he is not a great RB. That Dallas team was GREAT, but Emmit was just above average- a product of that great team and an unbelievable offensive line.

Maybe.

Great point! Dorsett was a hell of a running back! :music_guitarred:

Emmitt Smith is the 3rd best RB of all time.

Thanks to one of the greatest O-lines in NFL history. From 91-95, there was none greater. Check the numbers for Emmitt during those years. The stats don't lie. No coincidence that those were the 5 best seasons of Smiths' career.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitEm00.htm

I also found this quote to be quite humorous......

"The 25-year NFL assistant held the same position from 1993-2001, coaching a Cowboys line which paved gaping holes for Emmitt Smith on two Super Bowl teams." :music_guitarred:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=8...D93063761A13973

Ah, the magic 1205 yard barrier. That has been a stumbling block for many backs. :)

I couldn't figure out why you named such an arbitrary number, until I saw his stats. In his "tailing off" years he had 1204 yds one year and 1203 yds another. If you want to use a more traditional number; in his last 8 years he went over 1000 yards 5 times and averaged 1,024yds. Or I could try an spin the numbers the way you did and say in his last 8 years he went over 935 yards 7 times.

i purposefully picked 1205 not to make it sound like he didn't have any good seasons in his last 8 years, but saying he had 4 seasons over 1200 yds - when two of them were 1204 and 1203 is more misleading because he didn't go significantly over 1200... each year was 1 rush away from being under 1200...

so my use of the data worked, and actually made you look up his stats and realize what he really did...

Emmit sustained minor injuries that allow you to continue to play.That shoulder injury had zero effect on his running and cutting ability-sure it hurt but it didn't slow him down. LT has played through injury too, he has only missed one game in his whole career due to injury- that's damn good.

Following your logic, Aikman is a poor leader because he didn't play through his injury (headache) when the team needed him.

LT> Emmit

Like I said, LT would obliterate Emmits stats if he played behind that Dallas offensive line. A lot of people don't think about that when they rank players. The offensive line is an important part of a RB's succes and their perfomance has to be taken into account.

:rolleyes:

i take it you've never had a shoulder seperation or a concussion-induced migrane. this is the most ridiculous post i've seen on FFT in a long, long time, and that's saying something.

quoted for posterity.

People that try to dismiss what Emmitt did due to the line are flat out ignorant.

In high school: Escambie High School

He ran for 8,804 yds, 106 TD's.

Lead his team to two state titles.....a school that had one winning season in 18 years prior to him.

In 2001 headed the list of the 20th All-USA team.

In college: Florida Gators

Has the top two single season rushing seasons in school history.

Holds career records for rush ypg, TD's, 100 yd games, longest run in school history.

Led SEC in rushing twice.

In Pros: Dallas Cowboys

All-time leading rusher and TD's.

My point of putting HS and college highlights are simply to show he did it everywhere he was at. It's not like he was a pretty good HS running back.....he may be the greatest ever in HS. He didn't play for a ho hum university. He played for an SEC school and lit it up while there. So to see him come into the NFL and do what he did is not a surprize.

You can't dismiss what a player does on the field due to his surroundings. Did his line have a tremendous impact on his career, absolutley! Having Aikman, Irvin, Novecek and Harper was also very rewarding to his career. The fact is that is what he played with. Judging from everything he did before he joined the Cowboys I think he would have put up great numbers where ever he went. I'm not going to say he is the best ever, but he's right there.

For those of you who say he's not even in the top nine...c'mon?! "His best season came in 91-95....no coincidence", are you serious. You mean to tell me that during a running backs prime years he put up the best numbers of his career....uh, doesn't that make perfect sense? Don't just about all rb's play the best during their primes? "Product of a great team....great line", if you read above, he wasn't a product of anything but he was born with a gift to play football.

Bottom line is Emmitt Smith was great without a doubt! Without the cast around him he goes into the HOF. With the cast around him he goes into the HOF as the #1 all-time leading rusher and TD scorer. Anyone who wants to argue Barry, Walter or Jim Brown is better....you have legit arguements. Anyone you try to put in there other than those three you are reaching. LT is great, but he's no Emmitt.

I'm not saying Emmitt isn't one of the best RB's of all time. I was just pointing out that he had his best years, with arguably the best Oline in the history of the NFL. Look at his numbers after the '95 season. Once the salary cap came into play, and he lost his lineman, his stats decreased by quite a bit.

Who else are they gonna vote for?

Rivers is the only other one even worth consideration, but he didn't have a great year by any means. Just cause they voted him for this doesn't mean they think his actions last week weren't strange and not what a leader would do.

Great point! Dorsett was a hell of a running back! :unsure:

That is one of the RBs Dallas had that was better than Emmit. There is another as well.

That is one of the RBs Dallas had that was better than Emmit. There is another as well.

Dorsett was great, but not as good as Emmitt. They had similar talent all around them. Dorsett was definitly more fun to watch though.

Emmitt is better than Dorsett. Stick to talking about Peyton's commercials and cutting that meat!

People that try to dismiss what Emmitt did due to the line are flat out ignorant.

Lead his team to two state titles.....a school that had one winning season in 18 years prior to him.

Holds career records for rush ypg, TD's, 100 yd games, longest run in school history.

My point of putting HS and college highlights are simply to show he did it everywhere he was at. It's not like he was a pretty good HS running back.....he may be the greatest ever in HS. He didn't play for a ho hum university. He played for an SEC school and lit it up while there. So to see him come into the NFL and do what he did is not a surprize.

You can't dismiss what a player does on the field due to his surroundings. Did his line have a tremendous impact on his career, absolutley! Having Aikman, Irvin, Novecek and Harper was also very rewarding to his career. The fact is that is what he played with. Judging from everything he did before he joined the Cowboys I think he would have put up great numbers where ever he went. I'm not going to say he is the best ever, but he's right there.

For those of you who say he's not even in the top nine...c'mon?! "His best season came in 91-95....no coincidence", are you serious. You mean to tell me that during a running backs prime years he put up the best numbers of his career....uh, doesn't that make perfect sense? Don't just about all rb's play the best during their primes? "Product of a great team....great line", if you read above, he wasn't a product of anything but he was born with a gift to play football.

Bottom line is Emmitt Smith was great without a doubt! Without the cast around him he goes into the HOF. With the cast around him he goes into the HOF as the #1 all-time leading rusher and TD scorer. Anyone who wants to argue Barry, Walter or Jim Brown is better....you have legit arguements. Anyone you try to put in there other than those three you are reaching. LT is great, but he's no Emmitt.

You speak the truth!

Top Three RBs all time are

1) Jim Brown

2) Walter Payton

3) Emmit Smith

Ah, the magic 1205 yard barrier. That has been a stumbling block for many backs. :music_guitarred:

How many yards did Emmitt get after almost breaking his neck against the Bears? Say what you want about Emmitt, but he was one tough SOB.

I would guess that 99% of all NFL RB's have kick arse High School stats, so that doesn't prove anything. Emmit was surrounded by great talent in college as well. So, I don't see your point.

When I think of Emmit Smiff, I think of a guy who always had a hole to run through. What respectable NFL RB wouldn't produce in that environment.

C'mon, Bo Jackson would have put Emmit to shame if he played with Dallas instead of Emmit?

Do you really think that O.J. would not have produced just as much or more than Emmit.

Do you really think that Sayers would not have produced just as well as Emmit behind that line?

Do you really think that M. Allen would not have produced just as much behing that o-line?

Sanders?

Brown?

Payton?

Dickerson?

Van Buren?

Cambell?

T. Thomas?

LT already has him beat stat wise (after 7 years) and he plays on a lesser team than Emmit.

Emmit has the stats and the rings, but most, if not all of the RB's listed above would have produced the same, if not better, results.

Emmit was a product of his environment.

Emmit is not a top 3 RB. Emmit is not a top 5 RB. Whether Emmit is a top 8-10 is debatable. And no stats are not the bottom line. If that was the case, then everyone would be saying that Farve is the best QB ever. :music_guitarred:

Ah, the magic 1205 yard barrier. That has been a stumbling block for many backs. :music_guitarred:

Don't fock with my boy Famousb. :lol:

You have been warned :pointstosky:

I would guess that 99% of all NFL RB's have kick arse High School stats, so that doesn't prove anything. Emmit was surrounded by great talent in college as well. So, I don't see your point.

When I think of Emmit Smiff, I think of a guy who always had a hole to run through. What respectable NFL RB wouldn't produce in that environment.

C'mon, Bo Jackson would have put Emmit to shame if he played with Dallas instead of Emmit?

Do you really think that O.J. would not have produced just as much or more than Emmit.

Do you really think that Sayers would not have produced just as well as Emmit behind that line?

Do you really think that M. Allen would not have produced just as much behing that o-line?

Sanders?

Brown?

Payton?

Dickerson?

Van Buren?

Cambell?

T. Thomas?

LT already has him beat stat wise (after 7 years) and he plays on a lesser team than Emmit.

Emmit has the stats and the rings, but most, if not all of the RB's listed above would have produced the same, if not better, results.

Emmit is not a top 3 RB. Emmit is not a top 5 RB. Whether Emmit is a top 8-10 is debatable. And no stats are not the bottom line. If that was the case, then everyone would be saying that Farve is the best QB ever. :music_guitarred:

Emmitt is top 3! America's Team owns you!

Sanders?

Brown?

Payton?

Dickerson?

Van Buren?

Cambell?

T. Thomas?

Emmit is not a top 3 RB. Emmit is not a top 5 RB. Whether Emmit is a top 8-10 is debatable. And no stats are not the bottom line. If that was the case, then everyone would be saying that Farve is the best QB ever. :nono:

Faulk would have set records if he played with that Dallas team. :pointstosky:

Faulk would have set records if he played with that Dallas team. :pointstosky:

You have alot of respect for the Dallas Dynasty of the 1990's. I bet you wish your team was as dominant. Go jump off a cliff and take Donhass and Shonuff with you.! :nono:

I loved watching that Dallas team in their dominant years. Those battles with the Niners were awesome. I think that Dallas team should have ranked higher on the NFL's Greatest Team Countdown (NFL Network). Their dynasty ranks up there with the best of them.

But as a pure football enthusiast, I am not blindly devoted to Emmit Smiff when ranking/comparing him to the great running backs in the history of the NFL. I understand how Dallas fans can get caught up in all the Dynasty talk and statistical hype when trying to rationally compare their players to true NFL Greats. Much like the M. Irving comparison to truly great WR's in the history of the NFL, Emmit just doesn't rank that high when you talk about pure ability. Take their environment away and they are just good players.

But if you put Barry Sanders on any team he will still be a great player. Put Brown on any team and he will be a great player. Gayle Sayers, OJ, Dickerson, Payton and those are just the ones that are not even debatable (IMO). There are a quite a few more that are debatable (Faulk, Cambell, T. Thomas, M. Allen, Bo....). Emmit did not have the kind of pure RB talent to be considered one of the best.

Sure, if you go purely on stats and rings, then Emmit Smiff is up there. But if you do that, you have to say that T. Dilfer is better that Marino, cause Dilfer has a ring. :shocking: That C. Dillon and K. Faulk are better than B. Sanders because they have a ring. :unsure: You would also have to say that Joe Perry and Warrick Dunn were better RB's than BO Jackson because they have more career rushing yards. :nono: You would also have to say that M. Allen was better than Payton cause Allen has more TD's. :nono: But none of these statements are true, so ranking players by stats and rings is not the way to go. :pointstosky:

So I understand where you are coming from. You are wrong, but I understand.

So I understand where you are coming from. You are wrong, but I understand.

no, you are wrong, simply because you don't understand that the team comes first. there are a million guys who were and are more naturally gifted than emmitt.

there are faster guys,

and stronger guys,

and guys with better vision,

and guys with better moves in the hole,

and guys with better moves in the open field,

and guys with better hands,

and guys who pick up the blitz better,

and guys who are more vocal in the huddle,

and guys who are better with the press...

...but no running back in history has combined all these elements better than emmitt smith. you talk about his offensive line--fine. then don't forget to mention the 9-man fronts he always, always had to play against. you say sanders was a better runner? remember, sanders spent his entire career playing against a nickel defense. and what kind of team leader was sanders? other than a quitter, that is.

speaking of quitters, there is no lower form of life on this planet. even cockroaches don't quit. but LT did. LT was so concerned about himself that he spent the entire game on the bench instead of even just standing up while his teammates sweated and bled on the field of battle.

there is no doubt that tomlinson is a great NFL running back. but as a football player, he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as one of the league's greatest warriors.