Sign in to follow this  
t.j

ESPN poll: Who are you rooting for in the Super Bowl

You're right about CT. During the '86 World Series, I was on travel for work in Middletown, CT (which as its name suggests, is in the middle of the state). I went to a bar to watch Game 3, expecting to be with fellow Sox fans, but 90% of the patrons were rooting for the Mets. I swore off CT right then and there.

From what I've seen, Rhode Island is Sox/Pats/Bruins/Celts, especially Pats. Then again, most of the time I've spent in RI has been in the Providence area. I've been to Newport a couple of times. I think they only care about tennis there, though.

Hartford's closer to the Massachusetts border than the NY border, but Hartford's newspaper, The Courant, covers the NY Giants as the home team of Connecticut. There's still a lot of lingering hate for the Kraft family and the Patriots after Kraft used threatening to move the team to Hartford as leverage for getting a stadium deal to build Gillette.

werent the pats close to moving to st louis in the early 90s?...

and how many states clain the pats as their own? 6?....

either way, im not rooting for the pats or dallas...ill just watch the commercials and drink.... :cheers:

Bill Belichick being suspended or banned would have been a good start, especially given the black eye that is on the organization and the sport because of the unanswered questions that are apparently going to be left for all to see, whether ESPN glosses over it or not.

Does get a bit tiresome, yes.

Thank you.

Not just good fortune, which is fact, not perception. An entire coterie trumpeting his name, and scoffing at people who dare to question his deified status.

See my response.

Not totally untrue, but I think that you're overstating it. Understandable, because of the position you're in. The "dynasty" hatred takes its toll, but it is exacerbated when the status is claimed by its own fans. This is something that you didn't hear the Cowboys or 49ers fans crowing about until they were given the moniker by others. There is an insecurity about the way the Patriots' fans have trumpeted their success that makes it unpalatable, especially in light of significant arguments that they never answer, but rather sidestep. The Internet makes the problem worse, but the Patriots' fans on this site and around town (I live in Maine) starting getting obnoxious the minute the Tuck Rule game was over, and they have never relented.

Unfortunately for you, this is too true, and often the most vocal ones. The belligerence, though, beats the obnoxiousness. "Best Evah" has been thrown around way too often and for way too long.

And you're not entirely accurate. While every team fanbase has its share of idiots, its not a close comparison. If you've been around the board for any length of time, you know this. I get your argument, but it's defensive, not true.

Just some thoughts from a non-Patriots fan (or hater, by the way) to counter your perspective, which certainly is going to be shaded . . .

You're giving yourself too much credit. I'll freely admit that I'm a Pats fan and my opinion on some Patriots topics could be biased, however I think for the most part I can have fairly reasonable discussions about the Patriots without resorting to "best evah" or "where's your team" or other mindless posts like that, but you are far from unbiased. You might not be as anti-Patriot as a lot of people on this site, but to put it mildly you definitely like to play the "devil's advocate" whenever you respond to a pro-Patriot post.

cant remember a SB where i gave less of a shitt.

but i hope to see eli on the sidelines, in the fetal postion, with his thumb in his mouth, crying.

I'm pretty sure the world see's the Patriots as a dynasty and the best team in football.

Dynasty teams don't win Superbowls by the leg of their kicker. As for the best team in football? I'm pretty sure that's still a toss-up between the 85' Bears and the 89' Niners.

either way, im not rooting for the pats or dallas...ill just watch the commercials and drink.... :lol:

I guess you started drinking last week, then?

I was listening to ESPN radio this moring and they were talking about great dynasties since the Super Bowl era.

While I'm the first to admit that New England's success since 2001 is impressive, there's one thing that keeps them from being in the same category as the 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers, or 90's Cowboys.....other than this season, there was never a single year when the Patriots were the consensus 'best team in the league'.

With all the other dynasties, everyone knew damn well who the best team in the league was. New England just always managed to be on the right side of very close games. That's not to say that that is not an impressive feat in its own right, but to me, a dynasty is a team that dominates the league for a few straight years. Even though they had three titles from 2001-2006, I don't think anyone, outside of Boston, ever feared them as a mighty team. The were always 'just good enough'. Just like the Ravens won the Super Bowl a few years ago, and Pittsburgh won two years ago, they just happened to win the year end tournament. They were not everyone's choice as the league's monster team. That can not be said about the three dynasties I listed above.

Now, of course, if they win the Super Bowl next week, it can definitely be said that they were the undisputed best team in football this year. It just can't be disputed. That would put them in the same company as other one year dominating teams like the '72 Dolphins and the '85 Bears. If they come back next year and are again dominant, then we might be able to put the 'dynasty' tag on them.

You are a moron! If the Pats win the title this year, they are equal if not better than those other Dynasty Teams. I really want to kick your as- for being such a focking moron. Not the consensus best team in the league? Really? They went undefeated and were favored in every game this year. They were the consensus best team in the league this year, and were the top team during their last Superbowl run in 2004. Jesus focking Christ! A Dallas fan coming to the defense of the Patriots. What has the world come to? I had to say something, since there are alot of little kids on here talking sh-t. They have no concept of NFL history and just spout anti New England crap because they are pissed their team lost to the Pats.

Let me break this down for you:

New England is a Dynasty! They will win the title this year and that will be 4 titles in 7 years. The Steelers of the 70's had 4 titles in 6 years and the Cowboys of the 90's had 3 in 4 years. The Pats have done the 3 in 4 wins and are also completing 4 in one more year than it took the Steelers. They now have completed the perfect season and Brady has had the best season in NFL history at the QB position. I don't know what community college you dropped out of, but you really need to get an education. You stupidity is ruining the world and making others dumb simply by listening to you.

I guess you would also tell people I can't hurt you as I am beating the sh-t out of you. This Patriots hate is ridiculous! Please explain how the Pats were not the best team in the league this year! DO you understand the concept of perfection? The 2004 title team that went 14-2 and won the title was not the consensus best team in the NFL? Please my retarded friend, tell us in retard words how your argument is not logical.

You are a moron!

I really want to kick your as- for being such a focking moron. Jesus focking Christ!

I don't know what community college you dropped out of, but you really need to get an education.

You stupidity is ruining the world and making others dumb simply by listening to you.

I guess you would also tell people I can't hurt you as I am beating the sh-t out of you.

Please my retarded friend, tell us in retard words how your argument is not logical.

Post of the week. :thumbsup:

Very articulate. Love the references to kicking my ass.

Also hope you enjoy the fantasy of being smarter than me.

It's a shame you could cram a few more insults and name callings into your post. I think it would have been impressive if you managed to jam an even dozen in there.

Now go back to your dream world where you're intelligent and tough.

And good luck rooting for your New Dallas Patboys next season. :dunno:

You are a moron! If the Pats win the title this year, they are equal if not better than those other Dynasty Teams. I really want to kick your as- for being such a focking moron. Not the consensus best team in the league? Really? They went undefeated and were favored in every game this year. They were the consensus best team in the league this year, and were the top team during their last Superbowl run in 2004. Jesus focking Christ! A Dallas fan coming to the defense of the Patriots. What has the world come to? I had to say something, since there are alot of little kids on here talking sh-t. They have no concept of NFL history and just spout anti New England crap because they are pissed their team lost to the Pats.

Let me break this down for you:

New England is a Dynasty! They will win the title this year and that will be 4 titles in 7 years. The Steelers of the 70's had 4 titles in 6 years and the Cowboys of the 90's had 3 in 4 years. The Pats have done the 3 in 4 wins and are also completing 4 in one more year than it took the Steelers. They now have completed the perfect season and Brady has had the best season in NFL history at the QB position. I don't know what community college you dropped out of, but you really need to get an education. You stupidity is ruining the world and making others dumb simply by listening to you.

I guess you would also tell people I can't hurt you as I am beating the sh-t out of you. This Patriots hate is ridiculous! Please explain how the Pats were not the best team in the league this year! DO you understand the concept of perfection? The 2004 title team that went 14-2 and won the title was not the consensus best team in the NFL? Please my retarded friend, tell us in retard words how your argument is not logical.

Stay gold, Ponyboy. :doublethumbsup:

Stay gold, Ponyboy. :doublethumbsup:

Isn't pimpdaddy adorable? He's so cute when he gets defensive about the team he's liked for 13 days now.

CT isn't really a New England state. The northern half considers themselves new englanders. The souther half considers themselves new yorkers. The southern half is all yankee/NY territory.

It is interesting that on the Pats side there is only one Non-new england state in the top 5. But on the giants side there are 3. I don't know which is the cause; wide spread love for the giants or wide spread hate for the pats. I would assume the latter.

The explanation is simple. Before the Pats came into existence the Giants were the only team to root for. There are still a lot of families in CT, VT that have been Giants fans for generations and never switched allegiances because the Pats were actually the Boston Patriots originally. ALso, there is still a lot of bad blood going back to when Kraft used Hartford to get the politicians in Mass to improve the roads leading to Foxboro. The people in CT are still upset about that one.

How's that for a history lesson?

It's not just people on here. Seemingly everybody in TN hates the Patriots, and they never even played the Titans this season. Everybody liked the Patriots a few years ago. It wasn't just the Spygate thing that made everybody start hating them. In my experience, it was the slap on the wrist that the organization got for Spygate.

The Pats beat TN in the playoffs in '03 and beat that at the end of last season to help keep them out of the playoffs.

Don't you guys feel lucky to have me around to educate all you dumbasses?

You're giving yourself too much credit. I'll freely admit that I'm a Pats fan and my opinion on some Patriots topics could be biased, however I think for the most part I can have fairly reasonable discussions about the Patriots without resorting to "best evah" or "where's your team" or other mindless posts like that, but you are far from unbiased. You might not be as anti-Patriot as a lot of people on this site, but to put it mildly you definitely like to play the "devil's advocate" whenever you respond to a pro-Patriot post.

2 things. I deliberately made sure that I did not specifically point YOU out as a culprit, but just step back a moment and look at the general tenor from Patriots' fans.

And I'll concede that I play "devil's advocate" quite a bit. But part of that is the Patriots perception, and part of it is the simple fact that I'm often caught responding to the "all or nothing" crowd that so dominate the Patriots' fanbase. How should I respond to that? I recognize the balance, but the "points for" the Patriots, or anything related are put forth as deific qualities on which your more vocal fans rant. Trying to find a balance is oftimes difficult.

I readily confess I don't like the Patriots as I used to, and frankly, that bothers me. Biased? Not as much as you think. But I certainly see your point, because I'm rarely in position to defend them. Maybe if the Propaganda Machine ever stopped for 10 minutes consecutively on this board, there would be reason to.

2 things. I deliberately made sure that I did not specifically point YOU out as a culprit, but just step back a moment and look at the general tenor from Patriots' fans.

And I'll concede that I play "devil's advocate" quite a bit. But part of that is the Patriots perception, and part of it is the simple fact that I'm often caught responding to the "all or nothing" crowd that so dominate the Patriots' fanbase. How should I respond to that? I recognize the balance, but the "points for" the Patriots, or anything related are put forth as deific qualities on which your more vocal fans rant. Trying to find a balance is oftimes difficult.

I readily confess I don't like the Patriots as I used to, and frankly, that bothers me. Biased? Not as much as you think. But I certainly see your point, because I'm rarely in position to defend them. Maybe if the Propaganda Machine ever stopped for 10 minutes consecutively on this board, there would be reason to.

There are probably as many anti-Patriot propaganda machines as there are pro-Patriot propaganda machines.

There are probably as many anti-Patriot propaganda machines as there are pro-Patriot propaganda machines.

No, I don't think so. I think more is begun by the Patriots' extremists than by the Anti-Patriots extremists. But I'll give you that are some who are ridiculous in the other direction.

That said, I think it would be hard to suggest that I fall toward the extreme, in any case.

No, I don't think so. I think more is begun by the Patriots' extremists than by the Anti-Patriots extremists. But I'll give you that are some who are ridiculous in the other direction.

That said, I think it would be hard to suggest that I fall toward the extreme, in any case.

Actually my point was that the extremists on both sides tend to cause others in middle to be lumped in with them. I wouldn't say that you are one of the people on that end of the spectrum. You are misguided and wrong on some things, but not an extremist :thumbsup:

Now, of course, if they win the Super Bowl next week, it can definitely be said that they were the undisputed best team in football this year. It just can't be disputed. That would put them in the same company as other one year dominating teams like the '72 Dolphins and the '85 Bears. If they come back next year and are again dominant, then we might be able to put the 'dynasty' tag on them.

Your right a team that will win 4 out of the last 7 years is not considered a dynasty. :thumbsup: There are teams in this league that have not been to the Super Bowl and it is not impressive that they have been there 4 times in 7 years. Some of you Patriot haters are a joke, the Patriots could have been there last year but they finally found out you need a serviceable reciever when the game is on the line. They addressed that need in the off season. They went out and got a player nobody else wanted to touch. Green Bay had a shot at him and decided they did not want to pay that price. What I love is all the Patriot haters saying is coulda, woulda, shoulda. You keep hearing that the NFL wants the Patriots to win, the Refs are handing the Patriots games, their players are mugging other player, they could have lost this game and that game if it was not for........ I am pretty sure if you contacted San Fran they did not just say heyyyyyy lets send the #7 pick to New England.

Here is my take, the Patriots have done a great job replacing players that they loose via free agency. Nobody is forcing teams to trade the Patriots Randy Moss, or Wes Welker (well these trades could be in the conspirocy theory too :dunno: )Nobody is forcing players to come here and accept deals below market value to play for them. Nobody is forcing players out of retirement for a chance to win a Super Bowl. Some of you haters can use terms like Cheaters, and Belicheat or whatever you want to say, the bottom line is this organization took a team that was mediocre and turned them into a team that is the top team of the decade.

Bingo...both sides have contributed just as much to this debacle. On the homerside there are many who flip out with any mention that the Pats aren't perfect and it helps stain the whole fanbase with their tunnel vision. On the basherside there are so many who hide behind the "it's due to spygate" BS when infact they have been bashing since 2001 and will never give the Pats any credit while also making sure to generalize the whole fanbase whenever possible. Unfortunately it's way to late for this dynamic to change and it's only going to get worse regardless of what happens on Sunday because one-side is probably going to come out swinging if the results fall their way.

Actually my point was that the extremists on both sides tend to cause others in middle to be lumped in with them. I wouldn't say that you are one of the people on that end of the spectrum. You are misguided and wrong on some things, but not an extremist :dunno:

So noted.

:thumbsup:

All you Patriot haters are a joke

This guy must be one of the pro-Patriot extremists that Dan was talking about.

NewbieJr is an anti-Patriot extremist, and a joke, for sure. Don't get carried away, though, dd.

This guy must be one of the pro-Patriot extremists that Dan was talking about.

NewbieJr is an anti-Patriot extremist, and a joke, for sure. Don't get carried away, though, dd.

Fixed and you are correct it is not all but rather some of the haters.

Bingo...both sides have contributed just as much to this debacle. On the homerside there are many who flip out with any mention that the Pats aren't perfect and it helps stain the whole fanbase with their tunnel vision. On the basherside there are so many who hide behind the "it's due to spygate" BS when infact they have been bashing since 2001 and will never give the Pats any credit while also making sure to generalize the whole fanbase whenever possible. Unfortunately it's way to late for this dynamic to change and it's only going to get worse regardless of what happens on Sunday because one-side is probably going to come out swinging if the results fall their way.

I agree to a point, but I won't debate the nuances. Neither side is faultless in this, at all. Which came first is never going to be determined, except within the solace of one's own mind. The fact that the extremes keep pounding at each other (and everyone) renders most intelligent conversation regarding the Patriots virtually obsolete.

The bolded part of your quote is what bothers me the most . . . because it's absolutely true. Next Monday morning (Sunday evening at approximately 9:45), this board is going to be virtually unbearable.

The bolded part of your quote is what bothers me the most . . . because it's absolutely true. Next Monday morning (Sunday evening at approximately 9:45), this board is going to be virtually unbearable.

I agree with this point, there are a lot of Bandwagon fans that follow the Patriots. You can not get a ticket for less than twice the face value anymore. They follow the team as long as they are winning and those people are the ones that are trying to convince people how great their team is. It is the same thing with the Celtics. Back in the 80's you could not get a seat in the Garden, if you wanted to go you had to pay through the nose. After the death of Reggie Lewis and Lenny Bias through this year you could not give tickets away, now all of a sudden they start winning and everybody is back to trying to go see them calling WEEI and talking about them.

I would also like to say that this board has been unbearable with Patriots posts for a long time now. The hating and the bragging has reached epic proportions on here.

I would also like to say that this board has been unbearable with Patriots posts for a long time now. The hating and the bragging has reached epic proportions on here.

Nearing apocalyptic.

Your right a team that will win 4 out of the last 7 years is not considered a dynasty. :rolleyes: There are teams in this league that have not been to the Super Bowl and it is not impressive that they have been there 4 times in 7 years. All you Patriot haters are a joke, the Patriots could have been there last year but they finally found out you need a serviceable reciever when the game is on the line. They addressed that need in the off season. They went out and got a player nobody else wanted to touch. Green Bay had a shot at him and decided they did not want to pay that price. What I love is all the Patriot haters saying is coulda, woulda, shoulda. You keep hearing that the NFL wants the Patriots to win, the Refs are handing the Patriots games, their players are mugging other player, they could have lost this game and that game if it was not for........ I am pretty sure if you contacted San Fran they did not just say heyyyyyy lets send the #7 pick to New England.

Here is my take, the Patriots have done a great job replacing players that they loose via free agency. Nobody is forcing teams to trade the Patriots Randy Moss, or Wes Welker (well these trades could be in the conspirocy theory too :rolleyes: )Nobody is forcing players to come here and accept deals below market value to play for them. Nobody is forcing players out of retirement for a chance to win a Super Bowl. You haters can use terms like Cheaters, and Belicheat or whatever you want to say, the bottom line is this organization took a team that was mediocre and turned them into a team that is the top team of the decade.

The Patriots struck gold with Randy Moss. He was considered washed up by many. They rolled the dice and were rewarded greatly for it. Moss single-handedly took New England from a perenial very good team to a great team. Welker is decent, but he was the beneficiary of the attention that Moss garnered. Brandon Stokely or even Troy Brown could have easily filled that role this year.

I am not discrediting the Pats for winning 3 Super Bowls. I'm simply saying that they were never necessarily the league's best team in any of those three point Super Bowl wins. They played just well-enough to win the tournament each of those years. I don't put them in the league, talent-wise, as the Steelers, 49ers, or Cowboys dynasty teams.

This year is a different story. The addition of Moss has made them the league's best team. If they manage to win next week's game, and stay great for another year, I would put them in the same league as the others.

You are a moron! If the Pats win the title this year, they are equal if not better than those other Dynasty Teams. I really want to kick your as- for being such a focking moron.

:rolleyes:

Laughing at, not with

Amusing! I am 100% for the Patriots and want them to complete the perfect season.

No wonder they lost!

http://espn.go.com/

Notable states:

G1. Indiana (Colts) 77% NYG

G2T. New York (Giants*, Jets*, Bills) 74% NYG

G2T. Mississippi (Rebels) 74% NYG

G4T. Tennessee (Titans) 68% NYG

G4T. New Jersey (Giants*, Jets*) 68% NYG

Pennsylvania (Eagles, Steelers) 62% NYG

International 60% NYG

OVERALL 59% NYG

Texas (Cowboys) 59% NYG

P6. Vermont 57% NE

P5. Michigan (Wolverines) 59% NE

P4. Rhode Island 67% NE

P3. Maine 80% NE

P2. New Hampshire 82% NE (Douchebags)

P1. Massachusetts (Patriots) 88% NE

Interestingly, ESPN did a follow-up poll after the Super Bowl.

"Are you glad the Patriots lost?"

The response was something like 73% were glad. That is up from only 59% voting as rooting for the Giants before the Super Bowl. New England was down from having 6 states to about 4 it looked like. I saw this on TV, but couldn't find the poll when I checked ESPN, I guess they're done with it.

Interesting to see who logs in to vote for these things. Obviously more of the Pats fans were active on the internets and watching ESPN and such prior to the big game. Afterward not as interested in this type of stuff.

Actual % of fans pulling for NYG in the game was probably somewhere in between the two numbers (somewhere between 59% and 73%).

Interestingly, ESPN did a follow-up poll after the Super Bowl.

"Are you glad the Patriots lost?"

The response was something like 73% were glad. That is up from only 59% voting as rooting for the Giants before the Super Bowl. New England was down from having 6 states to about 4 it looked like. I saw this on TV, but couldn't find the poll when I checked ESPN, I guess they're done with it.

Interesting to see who logs in to vote for these things. Obviously more of the Pats fans were active on the internets and watching ESPN and such prior to the big game. Afterward not as interested in this type of stuff.

Actual % of fans pulling for NYG in the game was probably somewhere in between the two numbers (somewhere between 59% and 73%).

I hope the celtics lose the finals in 7 :thumbsup: