Sign in to follow this  
Flashover

Bush Vetoes Waterboarding Bill

WASHINGTON - President Bush said Saturday he vetoed legislation that would ban the CIA from using harsh interrogation methods such as waterboarding to break suspected terrorists because it would end practices that have prevented attacks.

"The bill Congress sent me would take away one of the most valuable tools in the war on terror," Bush said in his weekly radio address taped for broadcast Saturday. "So today I vetoed it," Bush said. The bill provides guidelines for intelligence activities for the year and includes the interrogation requirement. It passed the House in December and the Senate last month.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080308/ap_on_...wh/bush_torture

Good or Bad?

Cowards who have no intention of enlisting in the armed forces have no problem with torture.

Pathetic spineless focks!

Cowards who have no intention of enlisting in the armed forces have no problem with torture.

I served my country

I served my country

As did I, my response wasn't directed towards you though :thumbsdown:

As did I, my response wasn't directed towards you though :thumbsdown:

Woot. :headbanger:

Good. Why tie their hands by getting rid of a method that has saved lives each and every time it has been used.................a total of 3 times you whiny puzzies.

But you will cry about it on a FF bored. good for you grandpa. :ninja:

Maybe we should just decapitate them on tv like they do to us. Would that be better?

I'm all for the george carlin solution

If it saves lives, I'm definitely not against it. Besides, we all know that waterboarding and way worse techniques go on in black ops around the world so this really is being blown out of proportion.

If it saves lives, I'm definitely not against it. Besides, we all know that waterboarding and way worse techniques go on in black ops around the world so this really is being blown out of proportion.

So, going by this line of logic, I'm assuming that you wouldn't have been an abolitionist.

I am sure there is a way to a compromise with the libs.

I would be in favor of asking a terrorist bomb maker: "Would you please tell us where you put the bombs and the materials? Pretty please with sugar on top?"

If that doesn't work, then commence water boarding.

Better? :angry:

If we allow the use of these techniques that's fine but don't complain when a US soldier gets his ass waterboarded and tortured.

Can't have it both ways.

If we allow the use of these techniques that's fine but don't complain when a US soldier gets his ass waterboarded and tortured.

Can't have it both ways.

If you are suggesting that terrorists will stop torturing us, for reciprocity sake, if we pass a law banning it - then I want you pass over whatever you are smoking. I don't want a solider to be tortured either. Unfortunately we live in a day and age of fighting fire with fire.

Can't have it both ways.

It's a good thing we don't let our soldiers cut off terrorist's heads on tv or they might start cutting the heads..........oh wait, nevermind.

If you are suggesting that terrorists will stop torturing us, for reciprocity sake, if we pass a law banning it - then I want you pass over whatever you are smoking. I don't want a solider to be tortured either. Unfortunately we live in a day and age of fighting fire with fire.

I am suggesting that if our enemies can be prosecuted under international law for torture of our soldiers and citizens, then we should be subject to the same prosecution. I am not naive enough to believe our enemies will stop torture if we pass a law banning it, but I will say that when a US soldier gets beaten, water boarded and imprisoned indefinitely for crimes (see Guantanamo), then the US has no moral ground to stand on when they complain.

We must lead by example. If we choose to perform acts of torture, regardless of the reason, then we should expect the same in return.

It's a good thing we don't let our soldiers cut off terrorist's heads on tv or they might start cutting the heads..........oh wait, nevermind.

So are you advocating that the US should start cutting off heads? Wouldn't that make us equal to them?

So, going by this line of logic, I'm assuming that you wouldn't have been an abolitionist.

That has absolutely nothing to do with this.

I am suggesting that if our enemies can be prosecuted under international law for torture of our soldiers and citizens, then we should be subject to the same prosecution. I am not naive enough to believe our enemies will stop torture if we pass a law banning it, but I will say that when a US soldier gets beaten, water boarded and imprisoned indefinitely for crimes (see Guantanamo), then the US has no moral ground to stand on when they complain.

We must lead by example. If we choose to perform acts of torture, regardless of the reason, then we should expect the same in return.

Toro brings up a valid point here. Part of the reason we were the leaders of the free world is because we hold ourselves to a high moral & ethical standard. It's harder to lead when you don't maintain this standard. It's harder to criticize others for torturing when we're doing it also. We must lead by example. That being said, it is also very tempting to torture the hell out of these terrorist focks!

So are you advocating that the US should start cutting off heads?

Absolutely not. How would they tell us where to find the other bad guys and what their plans are if we cut off their heads? :angry:

I would be in favor of asking a terrorist bomb maker: "Would you please tell us where you put the bombs and the materials? Pretty please with sugar on top?"

Better? :mad:

:dunno: :lol: :dunno:

And I thought water boarding was giving those smelly Islamic suckers a bath. Want to torture them? Expose them to soap, shampoo, and toilet paper, and watch them scream in terror. They will confess all of their secrets.

Better? :thumbsup:

:pointstosky: :pointstosky:

That has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Oh, but it does. The logic just doesn't fly. If somebody wants to make that argument, then I have every right to point out just how flawed the logic in it is.

I am pretty consevative, but I would like this bill to pass. torture :overhead:

I don't like torture either. Short of Wonder Woman's truth rope/belt not sure what other options we have to extract information out of suspects. I am open to other ideas.

Oh, but it does. The logic just doesn't fly. If somebody wants to make that argument, then I have every right to point out just how flawed the logic in it is.

Torturing terrorists who would willingly kill thousands of innocent lives and aboloishing slavery are two separate entities altogether. I'm not saying we should go and start cutting people limbs off or whatever, but if waterboarding is an affective way of protecting US citizens then Bush did make the right call.

Torturing terrorists who would willingly kill thousands of innocent lives and aboloishing slavery are two separate entities altogether. I'm not saying we should go and start cutting people limbs off or whatever, but if waterboarding is an affective way of protecting US citizens then Bush did make the right call.

Maybe...Maybe not. First of all if Bush had an ounce of credibility this debate would probably be easier. Secondly, look at the arguments against torture, especially ones made by our former POWs. I'm not endorsing one way or the other yet, but I don't think it's as easy as "Torture the motherfockers!". I think when it comes to waterboarding, we either need to take the high road or make it legal. The fact that the Bush administration lied about waterboarding...well it's just weak and disappointing but then again the Bush Administration has been nothing but incompetent & untruthful ("Anytime you hear the United States government talking about wiretap, it requires -- a wiretap requires a court order. Nothing has changed, by the way. When we're talking about chasing down terrorists, we're talking about getting a court order before we do so." - George W. Bush)

Tough topic. Let's hear some more arguments.

Good. Why tie their hands by getting rid of a method that has saved lives each and every time it has been used.................a total of 3 times you whiny puzzies.

Wow. "..each and every time..."?

You link those three times and some people here might take what you spew seriously.

Good luck Alias, I mean rp.

Wow. "..each and every time..."?

You link those three times and some people here might take what you spew seriously.

Good luck Alias, I mean rp.

Here ya go:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The CIA used a widely condemned interrogation technique known as waterboarding on three suspects captured after the September 11 attacks, CIA Director Michael Hayden told Congress on Tuesday.

"Waterboarding has been used on only three detainees," Hayden told the Senate Intelligence Committee. It was the first time a U.S. official publicly specified the number of people subjected to waterboarding and named them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idU...lBrandChannel=0

o'reilly is well on record as saying he'd of waterboarded the hell out of whomever if it would have prevented 9/11, those opposed would have sacrificed the thousands killed in order to protect america's world standing?

what methods would you endorse to extract intelligence?