Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Jared Allen's days numbered in KC?

Jared Allen has said the Chiefs have been in trade talks with both the Vikes and Bucs, and estimates a deal will be worked out by next week. Allen has scheduled a visit with Minnesota, and is setting up a visit to TB as well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8043460...h-Vikings,-Bucs

Top stories | Rumors | Video | Photos

Allen, the NFL's reigning sack leader, told FOXSports.com that the Vikings and Buccaneers have held trade talks with the Chiefs and he anticipates a deal will get done prior to next week's draft.

"It's a situation that works out best for both sides," Allen told FOXSports.com. "I can go to a team that is competing for a championship right now. The Chiefs can get valuable draft picks to rebuild with."

Allen said he had a visit set up with the Vikings this weekend in Minnesota and is tentatively scheduled to meet with Tampa Bay next week as well.

The Pro Bowl defensive end is the Chiefs' franchise player, but re-signing in Kansas City will be a problem as the team is looking to stockpile draft picks.

Allen said the two sticking points are working out terms of a deal with a new team and the Chiefs agreeing to compensation for a trade. A package of first- and second-round picks or one of first- and third-round picks in the upcoming draft have been discussed as possible terms. It's unclear at this point what it will take to get the deal done.

Vikes get Allen and our D line is top 3, defense overall becomes top 5.

:banana:

As a KC fan, I would love to see Allen go in a heartbeat. Considering where KC is at right now, 2 extra #1's is far better than Allen. As great of a player as he is, he is a headache to some degree.

This would allow KC to pick up the 2nd tier Tackle that they need in middle of the 2nd, and be able to pick up another standout with the #5 pick.

I say go for it.

What do you think the vikes will have to give up? would their first and one of their thirds be enough? I would love if the Vikes picked him up

What do you think the vikes will have to give up? would their first and one of their thirds be enough? I would love if the Vikes picked him up

There's no way the Chiefs get 2 1st round picks for him. He's too much of a headache player to get that.

I could see a 1st and 3rd, or McKinnie and a 3rd, but I can't imagine we'd give up more than that for a guy who's got DUI problems.

There's no way the Chiefs get 2 1st round picks for him. He's too much of a headache player to get that.

I could see a 1st and 3rd, or McKinnie and a 3rd, but I can't imagine we'd give up more than that for a guy who's got DUI problems.

im all for giving up mckinnie and a 3rd, then with the 17th pick grab a tackle (if there is one worth it that is available) or brohm

im all for giving up mckinnie and a 3rd, then with the 17th pick grab a tackle (if there is one worth it that is available) or brohm

mckinnie and a 3rd might not be enough to get him, but id do that in a heartbeat if i were the vikes.

then they can draft Otah, Cherlius, or whoever at 17 and dominate some a$$ this year.

Can you imagine trying to block Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, and Allen if you are an OLine??? Sprinkle in some Ray Edwards and you have a nice DLine.

If we can get Allen and Brohm, you spend at least 2 picks on Left Tackles, and 1 pick on a WR.

McKinnie is NOT unreplaceable, but he is a solid LT. He's not a pro bowler, but he could be if he wasn't so lazy.

i dont think mckinnie and the 3rd would work, kc would want their 1st plus something else. They're more interested in draft picks than players

Isn't Allen one violation away from a year suspension?

Yes. Which is why they cannot ask for 2-1st rounders.

Nobody is going to do it, and Allen wants out. KC has no choice but to take the best deal they can find.

Nobody is going to do it, and Allen wants out. KC has no choice but to take the best deal they can find.

He doesn't necessarily want out of KC, he wants a long-term deal. He's cleaned up his act, and the suspension was reduced from 4 to 2 games so its apparent he's changing his ways. Still a risk, but seems to be less of a risk.

Still the Chiefs dont care, they franchised him and he has to play for them. He probably went to Carl and carl probably said look you guys need to go out, work out a deal, and the team needs to give us adaquate compensation and we'll make it work.

I wouldn't be so quick to trade for a guy with problems like this. He is going to command a huge payday and then is one bad choice from a year long suspension.. Sure he's good, but his value probably doesn't compensate for the amount of money and risk he comes with.

1st and 3rd (if not more) plus a huge contract. If he does screw up, he would make Minnesota the laughing stock of the league. Is it worth it for a few extra sacks a season?

$.02

I wouldn't be so quick to trade for a guy with problems like this. He is going to command a huge payday and then is one bad choice from a year long suspension.. Sure he's good, but his value probably doesn't compensate for the amount of money and risk he comes with.

1st and 3rd (if not more) plus a huge contract. If he does screw up, he would make Minnesota the laughing stock of the league. Is it worth it for a few extra sacks a season?

$.02

I'd love to see the Vikings trade for him. Give them our 1st and Mckinnie. Double win for the Vikes. A starting DE and we get rid of Mckinnie :overhead:

As far as a risk signing this guy, sure there is a risk, not too many players in this league with out significant risk.

No guts no glory :music_guitarred:

I'd love to see the Vikings trade for him. Give them our 1st and Mckinnie. Double win for the Vikes. A starting DE and we get rid of Mckinnie :overhead:

As far as a risk signing this guy, sure there is a risk, not too many players in this league with out significant risk.

No guts no glory :music_guitarred:

Sure, everyone comes with risk. But one bad judgement call in a bar parking lot, and you just ponied up 50 mil and a 1st and 3rd for a player not able to suit up. He's a bigger risk that I think his sack value provides.

to each their own. :cheers:

Sure, everyone comes with risk. But one bad judgement call in a bar parking lot, and you just ponied up 50 mil and a 1st and 3rd for a player not able to suit up. He's a bigger risk that I think his sack value provides.

to each their own. :overhead:

He'll fit rite in up north :music_guitarred:

to each their own. :bandana:

I see your point, but I think you equate sack numbers to his production.

It's MUCH more. It's the fact he will either be single teamed, or open a standard double team off Pat or Kevin Williams, which automatically puts immediate pressure on the opposing QB. That pressure allows less blitzing, which allows more men in coverage, which allows a team that has the #1 rated rush defense and the #31 rated pass defense the ability to stop the pass.

IE - One good DE, ultimately through inadvertent ripples, effects the entire defense, and could significantly improve them all around.

THAT is what MN homers are looking at.

Now, whether he'll do that or not...who knows.

I hope the Bucs don't land him and give up the picks. This town is a DUI magnet; everything is so sprawled out and the law has been cracking down on offenders for the past years really hard. The lack of good taxi support in the places where a lot of people go to drink spells out a recipe for suspension for Allen. I know he is a great talent and the exact thing the Tampa-2 defense needs, but the risk is too great.

While I'd love to have a player like him, a big contract + suspension risk + giving up at least one early draft pick = pass

If they trade Allen, would it not seem more likely that the Chiefs then go for DL with the #5 pick as opposed to OL (or something else)?

He shouldn't have to go too far.

I'm sure St. Louis is in the market for another drunken drivin' DE

vikes d line would be sick with Allen.. Their D will make Giants D look like Cincinnati.

Of course without a QB they still will not get to the superbowl.

vikes d line would be sick with Allen.. Their D will make Giants D look like Cincinnati.

Of course without a QB they still will not get to the superbowl.

Chicago did just a few years ago, why can't we?

The Vikings would be vastly improved with Allen, and I think he's worth the 1st and 3rd. How many high picks have they blown on the position with no success.

As a Packer fan, I'm hoping he leaves Minny without a contract. :music_guitarred:

Isn't Allen one violation away from a year suspension?

I don't know if that is correct or not. His suspension was reduced from 4 games to 2 games by the commissioners office. Being the severity was reduced, I couldn't find anywhere whether his standing in the league drug program was also and if he were to violate it again whether it would be 4 games or a year.

While I'd love to have a player like him, a big contract + suspension risk + giving up at least one early draft pick = pass

The one thing you can be completely sure of though is that his contract will be cap firendly and have the risks at a minimum. If there is one thing the Vikings are very well served in, it is the front office.

A friend of mine knows someone in the Vikes organization(that should have some idea of what may happen), and he has heard its pretty much a done deal of Allen to Minny for their 1st and 3rd rounder, pending working out a contract.

Just some second hand info, take it for what its worth. (not much at this point I guess?) but thats the deal we have been told.

Allen does come with some risk, but you are getting a premier pass rusher in his prime and any time you have an opportunity to get a player like that, you go and get him.

A friend of mine knows someone in the Vikes organization(that should have some idea of what may happen), and he has heard its pretty much a done deal of Allen to Minny for their 1st and 3rd rounder, pending working out a contract.

Just some second hand info, take it for what its worth. (not much at this point I guess?) but thats the deal we have been told.

If that's the case, and the trade goes through, I will be VERY interested in watching the draft Saturday to see if Brian Brohm makes it to 47. If he does, I think you pull the trigger.

http://kan.scout.com/2/747951.html

In the discussion of a likely trade of Pro-Bowl defensive end Jared Allen, not many people are talking about Clark Hunt. After a disappointing 2007 season, Hunt made it known he wants to see improvement and also made it clear he wants KC’s best player to remain a Chief for a long time.

Back in January, Hunt and I sat down in his Owner’s Suite to discuss the 2007 season, the future of head coach Herm Edwards, and his relationship with general manager Carl Peterson. We also talked about Allen.

“Jared and I have a very good relationship,” said Hunt. “I know he knows that I want him to be a Chief for many years and hopefully retire a Chief. I’m very hopeful that we’ll be able to work out a long-term contract for him this offseason because it is our intent for Jared to be here for many years.”

Hunt now has an opportunity to make good on that intention.

He has a difficult task following in the footsteps of his father, Lamar. He has shoes to fill that many men would shy away from.

Lamar groomed his son for this very moment - the moment where he must use his power and decide to trade Allen or rebuild the franchise with younger players who can potentially make the Chiefs competitive in a short amount of time.

Hunt will wrestle with that dilemma over the next 24 hours. As of Saturday, Allen remains in lockdown in Minnesota, with plans to leave town and head to Tampa Bay to meet with the Buccaneers.

The Vikings are in panic mode because they know if Allen leaves town, the chance to secure his services will diminish significantly. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf told the Minnesota Tribune last week that the team has done their homework on Allen and has no intention of signing him to an offer sheet. Wilf indicated that sending the Vikings 2008 and 2009 first-round draft picks was too steep a price to pay for Allen.

Wilf appears to have a lot to learn about the price of winning.

Meanwhile, Hunt has seen first-hand the price of winning and losing. In the last two years, he’s seen the Chiefs reach the playoffs before tumbling to 4-12.

Hunt hates losing, but signed off on the decision by Edwards and Peterson to rebuild through the draft. By doing that, he almost guaranteed it would take a perfect offseason for the Chiefs to increase the number of wins they managed a year ago.

The bigger issue for Hunt concerns the rest of the football team. Every other player on KC’s roster is watching the Allen situation with great interest at the moment. Some will become stars and might eventually be faced with the exact same situation Allen is in now – trying to get a long term deal from the Chiefs.

Hunt has to make the right decision, because he’s the only person with enough power to make this trade or get Allen back into the Chiefs’ family.

That’s not a knock against Peterson or Edwards, but the buck stops with Clark Hunt.

Today he must weigh the potential gain for his franchise if the Vikings overpay for Allen. But on the flip side of the coin, he has to understand the impact of trading one of the most beloved players in franchise history.

Allen has had his ups and downs in Kansas City, but there is no mistaking the fact that he’s the leader of the defense. Based on the interest level of the four teams pursuing him at the moment, it’s not a stretch to consider him an elite player.

I can see the merit in trading Allen for draft picks. As much as I like him - and I’ve been fortunate to get to know him on a personal level - it’s probably the right thing to do.

However, it’s not often a team finds players with this much talent. But in Allen’s eyes the bridge has been burned. His relationship with Peterson is ultimately the primary factor in this stalemate.

But before we blame Peterson, it should be noted that signing Allen to an enormous contract might not be wise.

Allen is a great player, but has holes in his game. I can show you the stats concerning his lack of sacks in the fourth quarter – where most games are decided. It’s common knowledge he isn’t the league’s most prolific run defender.

So Hunt has a tough decision to make, because no matter what happens, it will be his first major move since his father passed away.

That’s a lot of pressure, but I expect Hunt will make the right decision. Either way, Chiefs fans should feel secure he’s the one making the call.

Allen departs, but for how long?

The Kansas City defensive end left impressed after a weekend visit. A visit to Tampa Bay looms, but the Vikings can offer more than the Bucs in compensation.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: April 20, 2008 - 8:56 PM

Jared Allen

Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen returned home on Sunday, but the Vikings remained optimistic he will be wearing purple before next weekend's NFL draft.

Allen completed his two-day visit with the Vikings on Saturday -- NFL rules allow the team to have him in town for only 48 hours -- and clearly things went well. "I can't really go into anything now outside of how impressed [Jared] has been with the organization here," Allen's agent, Ken Harris, wrote in an e-mail. "Myself, too."

Allen reportedly is scheduled tentatively to meet with the Buccaneers in the early to middle part of the week in Tampa, Fla.

Allen, 26, who led the NFL with 15.5 sacks last season despite missing two games, remains property of the Kansas City Chiefs, who placed the organization's franchise tag on him. The Vikings, thus, must not only work out a multiyear contract with Allen that will make him one of the league's highest-paid defensive players but also are trying to complete a deal to obtain his rights from the Chiefs.

The Vikings appear willing to send the 17th overall pick in the first round, as well as the first of their two third-round selections (No. 73), to Kansas City to get one of the league's premier pass-rushing ends.

The Vikings might have to wait for a few days to see if this deal gets done -- especially if Allen heads to Tampa for his visit. Keep in mind that trip might not happen; it's likely the Chiefs are already trying to play the Vikings against the Buccaneers in trade talks.

The Bucs, however, are not positioned as well as the Vikings to give up 2008 picks to a Chiefs team that is rebuilding after a 4-12 finish last season and is attempting to stockpile selections. Kansas City has 10 picks in the upcoming draft, including two in the fifth, sixth and seventh rounds.

While the Vikings have nine selections, the Buccaneers have only five. Tampa Bay's first-round pick, which certainly would have to go to Kansas City in any deal for Allen, falls three selections after the Vikings'.

if the vikes bring allen in...he'll take out rodgers in the opening game and favre will be back by week 2...

Credit Kansas City Star---

Defensive end Jared Allen left Minnesota on Sunday without agreeing on a contract with the Vikings.

The Chiefs and Vikings also had not agreed to terms of a trade that would send the discontented Allen to Minnesota in return for draft picks.

The trade terms appear to be the bigger impediment. An NFL source indicated that Allen and the Vikings were close enough to an agreement that one could likely be hammered out if the two teams agree on the draft-pick compensation.

Allen could make a visit this week to see the Buccaneers in Tampa.

Allen, who led the NFL in sacks last season with 15 1/2 , has wanted out of Kansas City since negotiations for a long-term contract broke down last year.

The Chiefs made Allen their franchise player this year and are obligated to offer him a one-year, $8.9 million contract.

He is free to sign a contract offer sheet with the Vikings, Bucs or any other team. The Chiefs would have the right to match.

If they decline, they would receive two first-round draft picks from Allen's new team. Vikings coach Brad Childress told reporters in Minnesota last week the Vikings would not trade two first-round picks for Allen.

it would appear to me that after reading this, the Chiefs are content offering Allen the top 5 position average to play the year as their franchise player. And letting him shop around, it appears the Chiefs are suggesting a team would need to sign him to an offer sheet the Chiefs wouldn't match and then get the 2 1st rounders as compensation. And obviously, it doesn't appear the Vikes are willing to give that much up. It will be interesting to see how this all goes down.

if the vikes bring allen in...he'll take out rodgers in the opening game and favre will be back by week 2...

His half a sack going to do it?

Week 9...2007....J. Allen 2-1 0.5 0 0

Now...with him over there Id be much more worried about one of the fatty Williams boys beating one of the guards to get to Rodgers.

http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&...2%2f748330.html

Source: Vikings Increase Offer

By Tim Yotter

Date: Apr 21, 2008

The Vikings increased their offer to the Chiefs in attempting to land defensive end Jared Allen in a trade, according to a league source. Find our more inside.

Nice detail Toofy.... <_<

Source: Vikings Increase Offer

Jared Allen (Brian Bahr/Getty)

By Tim Yotter

Posted Apr 21, 2008

The Vikings increased their offer to the Chiefs in attempting to land defensive end Jared Allen in a trade, according to a league source. Find our more inside.

The Vikings late Monday morning increased their offer to the Kansas City Chiefs in an attempt to land Jared Allen, according to what a league source told Nick Athan of WarpaintIllustrated.com on the Scout.com network.

Minnesota originally offered its first- and one of its two third-round draft choices this year to the Chiefs to secure the NFL’s 2007 sack leader. Now the Vikings are offering their first- and one of their third-round picks in 2008, along with their second-round pick in the 2009 draft, according to the source.

The Chiefs are said to be contemplating the deal while gauging the interest level of five other teams, the Jacksonville Jaguars, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Oakland Raiders also inquired about Allen, but the Chiefs said no to their AFC West rivals, according to the source.

A different source told VikingUpdate.com on Sunday that the Vikings might consider a second-round pick in 2009 as part of the deal because the team figured it would be a lower second-round pick if the Vikings can improve upon their 8-8 record from 2007. Acquiring Allen, who had 15½ sacks in 14 games last year, would likely help them do that while filling their most glaring need with a proven veteran right now.

The Vikings are believed to have agreed with Allen to the general parameters of six-year, $55 million contract that would include about $25 million in guarantees. The Colts’ Dwight Freeney signed a six-year, $72 million deal in 2007 that included a $15 million signing bonus and $15 million in option bonuses.

According to one source, the Vikings were expected to have language written into the contract that would help protect the team financially if Allen were to be suspended by the league for any more games for violating its player conduct policy. He received a four-game suspension that was later reduced to two games to start the 2007 season because of two arrests for drunk driving. However, Allen has said he quit drinking alcohol after his last arrest in September 2006 and others attest to him turning a corner in his life since then.

“I doubt very highly that he would ever put himself in that position again, not only for himself but he doesn’t want to let down his teammates again,” Athan said.

Ultimately, the decision to trade Allen rests with Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, who is taking an active role in the decision. The Chiefs are looking to build through the draft, but Allen is a crowd favorite at Arrowhead Stadium.

From the Vikings’ perspective, Allen would immediately infuse the team with a proven pass-rushing talent at defensive end that they have been lacking for the last decade. Although the Vikings increased their sack total to 38 in 2007 (up from 30 in 2006), no one player had more than five sacks last year and many sacks came as a result of blitzes. In the Vikings’ Tampa-2 defense, quarterback pressure from the defensive ends is considered critical to the success of stopping the opponent’s passing game and the acquisition of Allen would undoubtedly help that.

Should the Vikings complete the trade with those latest parameters, they would be left with picks in every round except the first in 2008, with an additional sixth-round pick, and in 2009 would only be missing a second-round pick.