Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

Just throwing this out there

I just looked at the cheat sheet on FF Today and in a PPR league, what if I took Moss, Wayne, A. Johnson, and B. Marshall 1-4 rounds then get like a Lendale, maybe Forte, Smith, Fred Taylor in 5-6 round leaving myself with the possiblilty of getting Garrard as my QB in the 7th? My argument of not drafting high on RB's so high is every year RB's get hurt and a backup usually takes his spot and does very well. Examples , LJ, Steven Jackson, Duece and Reggie, Ronnie Brown and Ricky, Caddy, and Brenden, AD, and Willie P (late) all got hurt during the season while Ernest Graham, Ryan Grant, Selvin Young, Faragus and Bradshaw did well as replacements. Such a risk is high but I know I would have to hit the waviers hard in order for this to work but I'll do it. Your thoughts?

no way andre and marshall go in rounds 3 and 4 in any draft unless its a 6 teamer...andre could very well be the 3rd-4th wr taken and i rank marshall top 10 so theres a chance marshall will fall...other than that, wrs are the most consistent in ff from year to year, rbs however, theres a new top 10 every year with 4 new members, hit those, and ur gold, however if the rbs u get in rounds 5-6 dont pan out then ur royally screwed

I just looked at the cheat sheet on FF Today and in a PPR league, what if I took Moss, Wayne, A. Johnson, and B. Marshall 1-4 rounds then get like a Lendale, maybe Forte, Smith, Fred Taylor in 5-6 round leaving myself with the possiblilty of getting Garrard as my QB in the 7th? My argument of not drafting high on RB's so high is every year RB's get hurt and a backup usually takes his spot and does very well. Examples , LJ, Steven Jackson, Duece and Reggie, Ronnie Brown and Ricky, Caddy, and Brenden, AD, and Willie P (late) all got hurt during the season while Ernest Graham, Ryan Grant, Selvin Young, Faragus and Bradshaw did well as replacements. Such a risk is high but I know I would have to hit the waviers hard in order for this to work but I'll do it. Your thoughts?

this is the route Im taking this year if i get a low draft pick.

I won't expect to get Moss, Wayne and A.J. but maybe 2 of them and Marshall.

RB injuries were horrible last year and there's a waiver wire wonder every year.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but the idea intrigues me. I'm getting destroyed in PPR dynasty because of the WR I inherited, so the idea of being absolutely loaded with them definitely appeals to me. I don't think I would go 4 rounds though, I'd probably go 3 then hit the RB hard and fast after that. I'd target the rookies who I knew were good pass catchers and guys in situations nobody else wants to touch, like Selvin Young (who is a heck of a pass catcher). IMO if you don't have one of the elite PPR RB (LT, Westbrook, Steven Jackson, maybe Addai) then you load up on WR. I have decent RB in my league but get killed because I don't have possession WR who get minimum 7-8 catches and 50-100 yrds + occassional TD. A guy who catches 8/75 every week and throws in a TD every other week is worth on average 18 pts every damned week, and it's hard to find an RB not named Westbrook, Tomlinson, Jackson or Addai that competes with that.

I'm going to post the results tomorrow of the first FFT Staff Mock Draft that took place a couple days ago and while it isn't a PPR league, one of the owners nabbed Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne, and Steve Smith in the first three rounds. It was a ten team mock and the RBs he ended up with aren't too shabby, Tayor being one of them. I'm still not convinced I would do this in a 12-team redraft league but given the amount of solid running backs this season it may be a year to seriously consider this strategy... especially in a PPR league.

I'm going to post the results tomorrow of the first FFT Staff Mock Draft that took place a couple days ago and while it isn't a PPR league, one of the owners nabbed Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne, and Steve Smith in the first three rounds. It was a ten team mock and the RBs he ended up with aren't too shabby, Tayor being one of them. I'm still not convinced I would do this in a 12-team redraft league but given the amount of solid running backs this season it may be a year to seriously consider this strategy... especially in a PPR league.

and his 4th pick?

I bet it wasn't WR.

and his 4th pick?

I bet it wasn't WR.

that's why I said I could not see my self going over 3 rounds deep before I started a serious loading up on WR. When I was making my earlier post I was think specifically about Fred Taylor as well, he's a much better value than MJD and you get nearly the same production. It would definitely be a gamble but if you ended with 3 WR that get a lot of targets you could probably ride out the RB thinness until later in the season when some of the rookies start to get more time. I'd probably do it once just see what happens.

If I don't get a top5 pick in my 10-team std league (LT, AP, Westy, SJ, Addai), I'll be getting Brady, Peyton then Moss. RB 6-20 is a crapshoot & could get whoever's left after the turn. I can't decide when to pull the triggor on a QB after Brady & Peyton? Only 5-6 top tier QBs IMO.

If I don't get a top5 pick in my 10-team std league (LT, AP, Westy, SJ, Addai), I'll be getting Brady, Peyton then Moss. RB 6-20 is a crapshoot & could get whoever's left after the turn. I can't decide when to pull the triggor on a QB after Brady & Peyton? Only 5-6 top tier QBs IMO.

This is very funny because I was thinking the same thing this year. I have the 8th pick overall this year and I was thinking about grabbing WR with my first three picks. Maybe RB then three WR. I haven't decided yet. Last year I had the ninth pick overall and went with Willie Parker then Travis Henry for the next pick. Lets just say that I didn't have a great year. I did pick up Selvin Young but still what a waste of the first two picks.

I want to wait and see if anyone gets hurt here in preseason before I make any decisions. Does everyone think Marvin harrison is done?

:mad: Well if you are playing in a league that has dumb enough team owners to let those receivers fall to those slots in a PPR league, I hope for your sake that it is a big $ league, because you'd be sitting pretty as long as you draft well the rest of the draft. In most competitive 12 team leagues I'd be surprised to see any of those guys there at the end of round 3 (maybe Marshall) and Moss would most likely be gone in top 10. This all could change of course depending on roster/starting position requirments, but in typical leagues there's no chance of getting this lineup. But if you can get away with it, do some good research on mid to late round runningbacks, grab a bunch of them, and you're going to playoffs unless you have horrible luck. :wub:

There is NOoooo way I go 4 WR's.....EVER!

Last year I did it and it worked out perfect! I went Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Colston, and Moss. Then I got Adrian Peterson in Round 5 and Big Ben in round 6! Also scored Fragile Fred late-everyone was too high on MJD. Needless to say I did well. Won the regular season....got upset in playoffs. (we could start 4 WR with 1 RB - shotgun if desired).

It isn't a new draft stragety per say. It is called "doing the opposite". The guys at KFAN in Minneapolis have been suggesting it for years if you get pick 10, 11 or 12 in a 12 team league.

I should have been clearer about the positions and number of teams. I'm in 10 team leagues with QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, RB/WR, TE, K, D so thats why I said maybe the 1st 4 picks are WR's. I know out of 4 rounds I can get at least 2 tier 1's and a high tier 2. ESPN are doing mock drafts now so I'm going on the site right now to practice the strategy. I'll post the results and the position I picked. I'll do a test run in both 10 and 12 man league.

I should have been clearer about the positions and number of teams. I'm in 10 team leagues with QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, RB/WR, TE, K, D so thats why I said maybe the 1st 4 picks are WR's. I know out of 4 rounds I can get at least 2 tier 1's and a high tier 2. ESPN are doing mock drafts now so I'm going on the site right now to practice the strategy. I'll post the results and the position I picked. I'll do a test run in both 10 and 12 man league.

I would not take 4 WRs in a row b/c you can only start 3. You might try WR, WR, WR, & TE Jason Witten in the 4th - the Cowboys are going to line him up as a WR at times so he'll have more opportunity for more receptions, yards, and TDs.

Step one: tier your cheatsheet

Step two: draft for best available player per your tiers regardless of position

Step three: collect trophy and/or money

HTH

Results of the draft. I had 1st pick in a 10 team mock draft in this order.

LT

Andre Johnson

Braylon Edwards

Wes Welker

Brandon Marshall

Selvin Young

McNabb ( should have picked Forte) and Kevin Smith was available

DeAngelo Will ( Garrard, Bulger, Cutler, Eli was still on the board)

Chester Taylor

Alge Crump

*Auto pick afterwards

I think this strategy will work in a PPR league. I need to try in other positions like 5 or even 10. Regardless it will work. :pointstosky:

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but the idea intrigues me. I'm getting destroyed in PPR dynasty because of the WR I inherited, so the idea of being absolutely loaded with them definitely appeals to me. I don't think I would go 4 rounds though, I'd probably go 3 then hit the RB hard and fast after that. I'd target the rookies who I knew were good pass catchers and guys in situations nobody else wants to touch, like Selvin Young (who is a heck of a pass catcher). IMO if you don't have one of the elite PPR RB (LT, Westbrook, Steven Jackson, maybe Addai) then you load up on WR. I have decent RB in my league but get killed because I don't have possession WR who get minimum 7-8 catches and 50-100 yrds + occassional TD. A guy who catches 8/75 every week and throws in a TD every other week is worth on average 18 pts every damned week, and it's hard to find an RB not named Westbrook, Tomlinson, Jackson or Addai that competes with that.

The only problem with this theory is that guys who get 8 catches every week don't exist. Over a 16-game season, that's 128 catches. That would be good for the second highest season total in NFL history. And that's averaging 8 a week, not a minimum of 8 a week. Even during Marvin Harrison's record setting 2002 campaign (during which he recorded 143 catches, 20 more than Herman Moore's 123), he still had 4 games without 8 catches. It's like when people say they want a stud running back who's guaranteed 25 carries/game, despite the fact that last year's leader (Marshawn Lynch) had just 21.5/game and had 25+ carries just once.

Step one: tier your cheatsheet

Step two: draft for best available player per your tiers regardless of position

Step three: collect trophy and/or money

HTH

:clap:

Exactafockinmundo.

I get so sick of people saying "is this the year to go WR-WR", or "is this the year to grab a QB early" or "in my league nobody has ever won without going RB-RB" or "im thinkin of this great new strategy" :overhead:

Do your rankings with tiers by position, then do an overall cheatsheet, and draft the best player on your board. Every year there will be a high number of busts at EACH position and every year there will be suprise value at EACH position. EVERY fockin year. Nobody knows for sure who they will be but all you can do is create a list based on your best estimates.

If you feel comfortable with a larger number of Rbs this year then you can wait on them. Its not a new strategy. Just do your rankings and draft accordingly. Thats the best and only strategy and it will remain so EVERY FOCKIN YEAR.

Yup. To many people get in a pigeon holed mindset in regards to a draft strategy. Every year I hear "I think WR/QB/WR/WR is the way to go this year", or "RB/RB/RB or bust" ect. While all that is fun to play with in mock drafts, when push comes to shove on draft day it nevah evah works out like you planned. There are to many variables. So don't lock your mind into one strategy as it will hurt you and you will miss out on great value picks. Tier it up and nab all the best picks per your cheatsheet that you worked so hard on (or paid for). :overhead: