Sign in to follow this  
coyote-kid

Some WR Thoughts for later rounds

My official Hello to the board and hope everyone has a great FF-08 season.

I have been wondering about a few guy's that have not been talked about much but could be huge if stars align in the later rounds of my draft.

1st) DJax who is playing with the Broncos and was hurt good part of last year. I like him as the number 2 guy with Marshall stepping up as the #1 on that team. Big question is he healthy and worth considering as a 3rd WR?

2) J Walk in a Raiders uniform, hmm, just doesn't fit well with me, but if healthy will be the main man there.

However, what does that mean on this very young team just trying to find an identity?

3) Will Dion Branch step up and be the main guy in Seattle? With all that potential and Hass. throwing the ball I see nice numbers.

Big question how is his health? If it is not Branch, then will the ageless Engram remain Sleepless in Seattle, lol? He is 35 yrs old now, but look at his numbers last year (94/1147/6). Not bad for your 3rd WR.

4) Do you see Kevin Curtis performing as well as last year or better (77/1110/8)?

If McNabb is healthy it is a very nice possiblity and a huge value pick. Another guy that would fit nicely as your 3rd WR.

Just looking for your thoughts on these guy's because in all my mocks they are always available in the middle/late rounds of all my mocks.

If you think of some other guy's that should be considered in the later rounds, please mention them.

Thanks...

I don't like any of thoese guys personally. Here is some guys I am looking at as of now.

A.Gonz (not until late 6 early 7th)

N.Burleson (can be had late)

Reggie.Williams (no respect after 10 TD's)

R.Brown (he's worth the risk as late as he goes)

D.Mason (reception machine you can grab late)

B.Engram (goes really late for a productive guy)

I don't like any of thoese guys personally. Here is some guys I am looking at as of now.

:cheers: these are all solid value picks. Also like Cotchery and Coles, Roddy White, D.Driver in the 6th-8th rds

I'd be careful with Mason this year. It seemed that whenever McNair wasn't playing, he didn't do squat. I know he had over 100 catches last year, but they all seemed to be for 6 yards on 3rd and 8. With McNair gone, I'm betting that he will have 50-60 catches max.

I'd be careful with Mason this year. It seemed that whenever McNair wasn't playing, he didn't do squat. I know he had over 100 catches last year, but they all seemed to be for 6 yards on 3rd and 8. With McNair gone, I'm betting that he will have 50-60 catches max.

:cheers: You should probably check your stats before you make posts like these. Not only is your post completely inaccurate, but you're also giving out bad advice.

Mason had 5 receptions for 98 yards and a TD in week 16 with Troy Smith as the starter.

Mason had 6 receptions for 72 yards in week 17 with Troy Smith as a starter.

McNair and Boller were the only other QB's last season for the Ravens, and Mason produced for both QB's. McNair only played 6 games, and he was out for the season after game 9. Mason averaged 10.6 yards per catch. Not great, but certainly not 6 yards a catch.

CBSSportsline

103 receptions - 1087 yards receiving and 5 TD's with 3 different QB's. Pretty impressive IMO.

I like many of the names mentioned in this post, although I'm shying away from DJax and JWalk at this moment (isn't it funny how a few preseason games can make us change our thoughts quite quickly! LOL).

A couple of other guys not mentioned in this post that are worthy of consideration

Dwayne Bowe - probably goes earlier than some of the other guys, I guess

Calvin Johnson - I really think he is going to get more red-zone chances this year. He's just too flippin' big to ignore

Bernard Berrian - Tarvaris Jackons has to complete a few passes a game..might as well be to BB

Vincent Jackson - 18 catches, 300 yds, 2 TDs in 3 playoff games...maybe a sign this 4th year receiver is ready for prime time?

Vincent Jackson - 18 catches, 300 yds, 2 TDs in 3 playoff games...maybe a sign this 4th year receiver is ready for prime time?

Jackson is going to something every year that is just good enough to make a sleeper the following year. He's gonna set a record for number of consecutive years on the sleeper list. If he hasn't done it in three years I doubt he'll do it this year.

To the OP... pretty sure Branch is going to start the season on the PUP. At this point Engram is threatening to sit out camp. Not sure how much money they're arguing over, but he is pretty damn old. Like someone else mentioned, Burleson is a real good value pick late this season. I'm liking Reggie Brown, and DJax as late WR's too (rounds 10 and after). Another guy I've been taking a look at late is Mark Clayton. I'm liking the breakout potential from a 10th-11th round pick more than the 6th-7th round people were taking him last year (bust).

3) Will Dion Branch step up and be the main guy in Seattle? With all that potential and Hass. throwing the ball I see nice numbers.

Big question how is his health? If it is not Branch, then will the ageless Engram remain Sleepless in Seattle, lol? He is 35 yrs old now, but look at his numbers last year (94/1147/6). Not bad for your 3rd WR.

4) Do you see Kevin Curtis performing as well as last year or better (77/1110/8)?

If McNabb is healthy it is a very nice possiblity and a huge value pick. Another guy that would fit nicely as your 3rd WR.

Just looking for your thoughts on these guy's because in all my mocks they are always available in the middle/late rounds of all my mocks.

If you think of some other guy's that should be considered in the later rounds, please mention them.

Thanks...

Buyer beware on both thees guys. I'll start with Curtis. Kevin Curtis finished the # 13 WR in my league last year with 256 points. Sounds good right? Um nope. Curtis is boom or bust. He had four great weeks of : 64.10, 28.10, 25.10, and 25.80. The other 12 weeks of the season his highest output was 12.10. Would I draft Curtis? Yes but I do so knowing he will have a few really great weeks with plenty more medicore ones. I don't want to be that guy trying to catch him on his up week. As 4th WR, to fill in on a bye or for an injury, ok, but I won't draft him as a starter.

Right now Deion Branch has an ADP of 9.05 on FF calculator :cheers: The guy blew his knee out in January and I have heard that he may not even be able to play until week 8 of the regular season :overhead: How can this guy be getting drafted so high? Now, maybe he is ahead of schedule on his rehab and will be ready by September, I don;t know. But unless he is some kind of superman I am not betting on that. In fact, I wouldn't be surpised if his contribution to the Seahawks in 08 is next to nothing. I wouldn't even waste a roster spot on him this year.

I like many of the names mentioned in this post, although I'm shying away from DJax and JWalk at this moment (isn't it funny how a few preseason games can make us change our thoughts quite quickly! LOL).

A couple of other guys not mentioned in this post that are worthy of consideration

Dwayne Bowe - probably goes earlier than some of the other guys, I guess

Calvin Johnson - I really think he is going to get more red-zone chances this year. He's just too flippin' big to ignore

Bernard Berrian - Tarvaris Jackons has to complete a few passes a game..might as well be to BB

Bowe and Johnson arent relevant to this discussion. They have both gone as high as the 4th round in some of the mocks Ive seen and are almost always gone by some time in the 6th. I think this thread is more about LATER round WRs.

And I agree w/ FlaHawker completely on Branch. At this point Im not even considering him unitl maybe the absolutely last round of my 12 team 20 round draft. Just too big a chance that he doesnt contribute at all this year. Ands its not like he has ever been a good FF WR to begin with.

Jackson is going to something every year that is just good enough to make a sleeper the following year. He's gonna set a record for number of consecutive years on the sleeper list. If he hasn't done it in three years I doubt he'll do it this year.

Note that my statement ended in a question mark. As we were discussing later round WRs, I still would have no problem grabbing him late in the draft (or for $1-2 in an auction)...depending on how many roster spots you have.

Those Curtis totals are very unrealiabe. Take out the game against Detroit when he had 11 rec for 200+yards and 3 tds. Also take away those 2 freak plays where he recovered fumbles in the red zone for TD's and your left with 66 rec for 900 yards and 3 tds.

Dont take him unless he is your 4th/5th WR

Note that my statement ended in a question mark. As we were discussing later round WRs, I still would have no problem grabbing him late in the draft (or for $1-2 in an auction)...depending on how many roster spots you have.

I hear ya. I'm disagreeing with your opinion too much, Jackson is a huge target and a perfect compliment to Chambers and Gates. He should put up nice numbers, but he don't. Last year he was inconsistant, only scored three TD's and never topped 100 yds. I don't know if it's that they don't use him right or he just doesn't get the looks, but it seems like he'll continue to under achieve...at least in the fantasy world.

He was a sleeper after catching 6 TD's on only 27 receptions two years ago. Now after a good playoff showing he will once again be an intrigueing pick to breakout. We can't forget though he put up those good numbers without Gates and without or with a gimpy Tomlinson. Add those two at full strength and Jackson goes from the #2 option to #4.

:thumbsup: these are all solid value picks. Also like Cotchery and Coles, Roddy White, D.Driver in the 6th-8th rds

Yeah I have been grabbing Driver in mocks. I have the number 1 pick and he falls to me at 6.12 all the time. I love him there. White scares me a little but has lots of upside.

Even though he is a Jet I would take Jerico if he fell far enough!

:thumbsup: You should probably check your stats before you make posts like these. Not only is your post completely inaccurate, but you're also giving out bad advice.

Mason had 5 receptions for 98 yards and a TD in week 16 with Troy Smith as the starter.

Mason had 6 receptions for 72 yards in week 17 with Troy Smith as a starter.

McNair and Boller were the only other QB's last season for the Ravens, and Mason produced for both QB's. McNair only played 6 games, and he was out for the season after game 9. Mason averaged 10.6 yards per catch. Not great, but certainly not 6 yards a catch.

CBSSportsline

103 receptions - 1087 yards receiving and 5 TD's with 3 different QB's. Pretty impressive IMO.

Mason can be had so late for a guy who is top 5 in receptions over the past 3 years. he gets open and catches passes. What are you really risking? A round 8-10 pick?

Mason should not be ignored. If you have a PPR league, he should be ranked a little higher. He won't catch those 80 yard bombs anymore, but he will still be solid in catches.

What about Patrick Crayton? Everyone is ignoring him, but the Dallas offense will be explosive again. T Glenn won't be much of a factor unless he gets into camp. Even if he does, he had a very serious knee injury, which might mean he won't be the same Glenn from 2006. He can be had for a late pick, and will be even better if TO does something to implode or get hurt.

I'll throw out there Ernest Wilford. The Tuna needed a solid posession reciever similar to Keyshawn, and Wilford fits the mold. I think that he might not approach Key like numbers, but he will be solid in the red zone, and will post a good number of receptions.

Mason should not be ignored. If you have a PPR league, he should be ranked a little higher. He won't catch those 80 yard bombs anymore, but he will still be solid in catches.

What about Patrick Crayton? Everyone is ignoring him, but the Dallas offense will be explosive again. T Glenn won't be much of a factor unless he gets into camp. Even if he does, he had a very serious knee injury, which might mean he won't be the same Glenn from 2006. He can be had for a late pick, and will be even better if TO does something to implode or get hurt.

I'll throw out there Ernest Wilford. The Tuna needed a solid posession reciever similar to Keyshawn, and Wilford fits the mold. I think that he might not approach Key like numbers, but he will be solid in the red zone, and will post a good number of receptions.

I forget about Crayton. He is on my list as a late round WR3 to grab. He could improve it is not like he is old.

We will see with Wilford. I hope he steps up and is a good possesion reciever. My Fins need him too. It will only make life easier for Ginn to be the deep threat we drafted him to be.

Mason can be had so late for a guy who is top 5 in receptions over the past 3 years. he gets open and catches passes. What are you really risking? A round 8-10 pick?

8 would be early from what I've seen, but he's worth an 8th round pick IMO. I believe the 10th, 11th round was about where Mason was going in the mocks I've participated in. I draft Mason and Coles about every year it seems like. Great value guys.

I think everyone knows about Bruce and Johnson in San Fran, but the winner between Battle and Hill for the #3 spot could prove to have some value. Something to keep an eye on anyway.

in deep leagues with big rosters people should keep an eye on C.Taylor and B.Obamanu in Seattle. I think one of those wrs rises to fantasy relevance this season. Also like Chad Jackson who seems to be finally getting some good press. If he wins the #3 WR spot he could have some value. Definitely a decent buy low in a dynasty league

What do you guys think about DJ Hackett in Carolina? He was injured most of last year, but seems like a solid red-zone target and Jake Delhomme is the type of QB that will throw up a jump ball.

Some guys that I like late this year. Some have been mentioned some havent.

Burleson

Sidney Rice

Justin Gage

Gaffney

Wilford

Jacoby Jones

Mark Clayton

These are guys that could have some value as spot starters and depth. I agree with the above comments on guys like Mason, Coles, and Cothcery and they have really fallen to ridiculous value in some of the mocks Ive seen. But I consider them more mid round guys than LATE. Maybe b/c my main league is pretty deep. 12 teams 20 rounds.

Hackett has monster upside.

Burleson is going late in the mocks I've done.

Steve Smith (NYG) can be had in the last couple rounds.

Ronald Curry in the last couple rounds.

I'd still take Stokely over DJax.

Ben Obomenu, you wont even have to draft him.

Shaun McDonald isn't even getting drafted. They wont throw as much as last year, but Kitna is still there and he seemed to really like him

Not sure how old you are, and how long you've been doing fantasy football... but J.J. Stokes has this record on lock down... :dunno:

I hear ya. I'm disagreeing with your opinion too much, Jackson is a huge target and a perfect compliment to Chambers and Gates. He should put up nice numbers, but he don't. Last year he was inconsistant, only scored three TD's and never topped 100 yds. I don't know if it's that they don't use him right or he just doesn't get the looks, but it seems like he'll continue to under achieve...at least in the fantasy world.

He was a sleeper after catching 6 TD's on only 27 receptions two years ago. Now after a good playoff showing he will once again be an intrigueing pick to breakout. We can't forget though he put up those good numbers without Gates and without or with a gimpy Tomlinson. Add those two at full strength and Jackson goes from the #2 option to #4.

After Rudi Johnson, Vinny Jackson was my most disappointing draft pick last year. He still has a ton of potential, but with Chambers more familiar with his surroundings he'll now be the 4th option in a run-oriented offense.

And then there is the fact that all San Diego Chargers are Fairy schlong-gobblers.

Tyrone Calico was inducted in the Hall of Sleepers years ago... Vince is making his case.

Tyrone Calico was inducted in the Hall of Sleepers years ago... Vince is making his case.

Jerry Porter must be in there from past years. Oh, and I see him on allot of sleeper lists this year too. Looks like he's going for the record!

Those touting Mark Clayton be aware that from all acounts Demetrius Williams is tearing it up in OTCs and offseason workouts and is in line to start this year. Even FFToday's own "scherber" who is fighting for a roster spot there has stated the same.

Those touting Mark Clayton be aware that from all acounts Demetrius Williams is tearing it up in OTCs and offseason workouts and is in line to start this year. Even FFToday's own "scherber" who is fighting for a roster spot there has stated the same.

Good point. I almost forgot about Williams.

Wont do much for his FF value but if Williams actually developing as much as the reports say then Clayton could really do well in the slot where he is prolly best suited in the NFL. With Mason, Williams, Clayton, and Heap the Ravens actually have some weapons in the passing game.

But who is gonna get them the football?

Good point. I almost forgot about Williams.

Wont do much for his FF value but if Williams actually developing as much as the reports say then Clayton could really do well in the slot where he is prolly best suited in the NFL. With Mason, Williams, Clayton, and Heap the Ravens actually have some weapons in the passing game.

But who is gonna get them the football?

Troy Smith looked OK last season and is having a good off-season. I actually alway though Kyle Boeller has some potential as well and was starting to put it together until washed up Steve McNair was brought in.

On topic some real late round guys I like:

Devard Darling: put together some nice games down he strecth for the Ravens and signed with KC and is in line to start opposite Bowe. Has nice deep speed.

Drew Carter: fits in perfectly with the Oakland's deep down field attack. I don't have alot of faith in Walker and Curry has trouble staying healthy (as does Carter though).

Demetrius Williams: As mentioned above.

Amani Toomer: Everyone wants to kick him to the curb, except for Eli who really likes finding him when he needs a catch.

Devin Thomas: Good size and speed and fits in great with the WCO that will be implemented bu Zorn. Randle- El is better suited for the slot so Thomas has a legit chance to start.

Gaffney

:overhead:

Gaffney is the #3 WR on one of the best passing attacks in the league.

It wasn't long ago that Randy Moss was considered injury prone and Wes Welker was considered "too small" to be an every down slot/possession receiver.

Gaffney will get some catches as a #3 and may get even more if his playing time increases because of starters' injuries.

Bryant Johnson.

size, speed, and pedigree, just always overshadowed by Fitz/Boldin. Love him going to a Martz offense.

:overhead:

Gaffney is the #3 WR on one of the best passing attacks in the league.

It wasn't long ago that Randy Moss was considered injury prone and Wes Welker was considered "too small" to be an every down slot/possession receiver.

Gaffney will get some catches as a #3 and may get even more if his playing time increases because of starters' injuries.

Bryant Johnson.

size, speed, and pedigree, just always overshadowed by Fitz/Boldin. Love him going to a Martz offense.

I've read Chad Jackson has been lining up with the first team in OTCs. I think he'd be a real sleeper across from Moss with Wleker in the slot. He is much more talented than Gafney - injuries have kept him off the field so far - but may not have the chemistry and experience that Gafney does.

I've read Chad Jackson has been lining up with the first team in OTCs. I think he'd be a real sleeper across from Moss with Wleker in the slot. He is much more talented than Gafney - injuries have kept him off the field so far - but may not have the chemistry and experience that Gafney does.

can't say your info is wrong Dr. Oc.

I'll be at Pats training camp in a few weeks, I'll keep you posted on anything I see there.

Right now, Chad Jackson is an enigma to me. I really don't know what to expect from him. Injuries and some maturity issues are what have held him back. Gaffney is the guy who's proven to be reliable whenever called on.

I guess Chad Jax has all the talent and Gaffney has all the intangibles but even then, they were both 2nd round draft picks, so I don't know how much of a talent gap there really is. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

can't say your info is wrong Dr. Oc.

I'll be at Pats training camp in a few weeks, I'll keep you posted on anything I see there.

Right now, Chad Jackson is an enigma to me. I really don't know what to expect from him. Injuries and some maturity issues are what have held him back. Gaffney is the guy who's proven to be reliable whenever called on.

I guess Chad Jax has all the talent and Gaffney has all the intangibles but even then, they were both 2nd round draft picks, so I don't know how much of a talent gap there really is. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Good point, I guess its more perceived talent/upside based on what Gafney has become a solid but unspectcular pro.

Keep us posted, either one that wins the job is a nice late round pick.

Buyer beware on both thees guys. I'll start with Curtis. Kevin Curtis finished the # 13 WR in my league last year with 256 points. Sounds good right? Um nope. Curtis is boom or bust. He had four great weeks of : 64.10, 28.10, 25.10, and 25.80. The other 12 weeks of the season his highest output was 12.10. Would I draft Curtis? Yes but I do so knowing he will have a few really great weeks with plenty more medicore ones. I don't want to be that guy trying to catch him on his up week. As 4th WR, to fill in on a bye or for an injury, ok, but I won't draft him as a starter.
Those Curtis totals are very unrealiabe. Take out the game against Detroit when he had 11 rec for 200+yards and 3 tds. Also take away those 2 freak plays where he recovered fumbles in the red zone for TD's and your left with 66 rec for 900 yards and 3 tds.

Dont take him unless he is your 4th/5th WR

There are a few things that you have to remember with K. Curtis:

1. It was his first year in the WCO and as a starter, so he was still learning throughout the year

2. McNabb was NOT healthy until later in the year

3. LJ Smith was hurt, so there was no reliable TE presence in the middle of the field to draw coverage away from the WRs

With more experience in the offense, a helathy McNabb and Smith, Curtis should be much more consistent and should have more room to make plays. Take it for what it's worth, but just looking at last year's prodcution is a big mistake, for anyone not just Curtis, but it is especially true in his situation.

Chad Jackson is a guy I'm going to have on my radar.

Also, let me tout a guy from my favorite team who has been going far too late in every mock I've done so far: Nate Burleson

With Hackett gone and Branch on the mend, he will start every week for the Seahawks. Now hopefully I can get some confirmation on this from Viking fans, but I view Burleson as a fantastic athletic specimen who just isn't that bright. The west coast offense can be very difficult for WR's to learn, so this being his 3rd year on the team, he might finally have it down. He caught 9 TD's last season, which he could match again, and I can see his catches and yardage moving up significantly as he'll be the youngest and healthiest of the established veterans on the team. He had 50 catches for just under 700 yards last season, so that number should only go up.

He's also a pretty good punt returner, who could tack on a couple extra TD's there if your league counts them.

I've done 13 mocks in the last week+ (Im a loser, I know) all in a 12 team format, drafting from various spots. I've drafted him 5 times, 4 of them in the 11th round and once in the 10th. Every draft I've been in he's gone no earlier then the 10th and has fallen as late as early 13th round. People are drafting the likes of Jerry Porter, Berrian and Rice, and Vincent Jackson over him.

A guy with his talent, in his situation is a steal and would make an excellent 4th or 5th WR on any fantasy team.