Sign in to follow this  
quikpoor

Steven Jackson falling fast.....

This guy is giving me some sleepless nights. (ya know, if i lost sleep over fantasy football)

don't worry...it's ok, most people here lose sleep over FF. We're addicts.

I also am getting a little antsy about taking Sjax at 12. I thought I was gold with Sjax and Owens to start my draft. Now I'm not so sure.

Dude needs to get to camp man....with the quickness.

Had my draft on Friday night and was surprised to see Jackson tumble to the #17 overall pick. Gives you some idea of his value if you are drafting soon. Be prepared to make a decision if you draft late in the first round. Here's how it went:

14 team league

1. LT

2. Peterson

3. Westbrook

4. Addai

5. Brady

6. Portis

7. Barber

8. Romo

9. L.Johnson

10. Lynch

11. Grant

12. Manning

13. Brees

14. Gore

15. Owens

16. Jones-Drew

17. S. Jackson

I had a draft last night, the first 4 are identical. After Addai, I think the next 3 (Brady, Portis and Barber) are a wash, I could see taking anyone of them at #5. I personally lean towards Brady or Barber, but to each his own. The mid-round in the first round of the draft is a real crapshot this year.

Dude needs to get to camp man....with the quickness

And that's really the whole enchilada...if he shows up, gets signed, or simply decides to play, I'd feel a lot better about drafting him.

His team problems are real and won't go away this season, but Jackson is still talented and mostly healthy. But as a holdout...

This contract situation might not get resolved so quickly. He's got one year left on his current deal, but obviously knows he's not going to produce awesome numbers on this squad with all its problems. He wants to get paid up front, to avoid having to negotiate after another bad season. The Rams, however, want to see him in action before they shell out the big bucks he wants. He was hurt last year and still had minor injuries this summer (including the lingering groin issue). If I'm the Rams, I'm in no hurry to give Jackson a huge contract, not until I'm sure he's going to be completely recovered from that groin injury and willing to put in some work with the team. It looks like a pretty bad stalemate right now, and I don't see the Rams budging much.

I've seen Addai go as high as 2. Sitting at 4, I wouldn't even have Jackson on my radar right now. I would be going Addai or Barber (assuming LT, AP, Westbrook are the top 3).

And assuming that your team is playoff bound, Addai has a sweet end-of-the year schedule FF playoff wise:

Week 13: Nov 30 @Cleveland 1:00pm

Week 14: Dec 7 Cincinnati 1:00pm

Week 15: Dec 14 Detroit 1:00pm

Week 16: Dec 18 @Jacksonville 8:15pm

Week 17: Dec 28 Tennessee 1:00pm

While I've argued against taking Jackson somewhere like #6 overall, 17th is a bit of an insult.

Especially when there was some talk last year pre-draft of SJax unseating LT as #1 overall.

And assuming that your team is playoff bound, Addai has a sweet end-of-the year schedule FF playoff wise:

Week 13: Nov 30 @Cleveland 1:00pm

Week 14: Dec 7 Cincinnati 1:00pm

Week 15: Dec 14 Detroit 1:00pm

Week 16: Dec 18 @Jacksonville 8:15pm

Week 17: Dec 28 Tennessee 1:00pm

And assuming that Colts don't have it cinched up and they want to sit a bruised (trust me, he will be aching somewhere) Addai on the bench the last few weeks.

I am in a keeper league and because of his injuries I am able to keep SJax and surrender only a third rounder. The top 3 available RBs after all of the keepers are Portis, McGahee and MJD. At WR Moss, Owens, Fitz and Wayne will all be available.

Two picks are ahead of me. Do I take Portis or MJD (I will not take McGahee...he is on my never ever list) as protection for SJax or take a stud WR and assume he is coming back...Draft is 9/1.

Like most everyone else, I think he will sign and getting him at 26th overall is outstanding value.

Concur.

I had SJax last year and between a torn groin and no Orlando Pace he was essentially a wasted high pick.

Let someone else take the bullet - he's even money to get hurt with no training camp

Why because he's sitting on the couch eating potato chips? The guy has taken hits his whole career, he doesn't need to be in training camp to learn how to take a hit. You ever play football? If your in shape, your in shape. He's an athlete, i doubt he's sitting on his @$$. If you can take a hit, you can take a hit, you don't need to be hit another 100 or so times after being hit thousands to know how to take a hit.

My draft isn't till September 3rd. I am guessing he'll have signed by then. If he hasn't signed by then, I can see him falling very far.

Mine is on the 2nd, but unfortunately keepers have to be submitted by Aug 22nd. I can keep either SJax at 1.06 or Wayne at 2.05 (10 team league). A couple of months ago SJax was the obvious slam dunk. Not so sure anymore. Keeping Wayne in the 2nd and hoping to grab another #1 RB in the 1st might be the better way to go.

Especially with keepers MBIII in the 6th and Grant in the 7th, I'm not super hurting for RB. It's hard to think about after having no doubt that SJax would be there, but cutting ties might be the way to go!

This contract situation might not get resolved so quickly. He's got one year left on his current deal, but obviously knows he's not going to produce awesome numbers on this squad with all its problems. He wants to get paid up front, to avoid having to negotiate after another bad season. The Rams, however, want to see him in action before they shell out the big bucks he wants. He was hurt last year and still had minor injuries this summer (including the lingering groin issue). If I'm the Rams, I'm in no hurry to give Jackson a huge contract, not until I'm sure he's going to be completely recovered from that groin injury and willing to put in some work with the team. It looks like a pretty bad stalemate right now, and I don't see the Rams budging much.

You, sir, are correct. I don't see them being particularly giving at this stage in the game, either. I'm sure the front office people aren't total idiots, and they've got to be able to look at their situation with the injuries they've already incurred, plus the ones that they'll inevitably endur during the season, and they've got to know that they are going to struggle to be competitive. That being said, they know that SJax hurts himself much more than he hurts the team by pulling these shenanigans. The Rams are holding all of the cards here because they know there's no way that they are a playoff contender at this stage of the game.

Why because he's sitting on the couch eating potato chips? The guy has taken hits his whole career, he doesn't need to be in training camp to learn how to take a hit. You ever play football? If your in shape, your in shape. He's an athlete, i doubt he's sitting on his @$$. If you can take a hit, you can take a hit, you don't need to be hit another 100 or so times after being hit thousands to know how to take a hit.

You're missing the point here. First, by not being in camp, he's not working on his timing with the rest of the team. There's a reason why teams run plays and situations over and over and over. Repitition improves the timing, which is just as important at the RB position as it is at any other position on the field. Second, he missing out on time to learn the playbook by actually doing it, making mistakes, and correcting it. You can memorize a playbook all you want, but it's nothing like going through the motions on the field with everyone else. And third, just because he's in shape doesn't mean he's in football shape. Players need that time to get their legs under them. They can run and train all they want to, but there's no way to duplicate the types of cuts they'll need to make at speed. Again, this is where repitition in camp comes into play. You use different muscles when you're actually out there making cuts and accelerating than you do when you're doing sprints, shuttle drills, and the like.

No matter how you slice it, this holdout hurts SJax in a big way.

So how far do you let him fall before you take him? I pick 12/13 and almost hope he isn't there so I don't have to make the decision.

So how far do you let him fall before you take him? I pick 12/13 and almost hope he isn't there so I don't have to make the decision.

Right now, he's on my "avoid" list, at least until he reports to camp. After that, he's going to have to be a great value given ALL of his question marks.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider him at the 12/13 spot. For me, until he shows his face, I wouldn't touch him 'til I had two other starters. Only then would I consider him to be worth the risk. I realize there are many around here who disagree with that, and will prolly lambast me for it, but I just don't think he's worth anything other than a late-middle round "flyer" 'til he shows up in camp.

Let somebody else take on the headache. There are too many other known quantities in the earlier rounds to aim for.

Okay guys in my auction league before the holdout I had Jackson going for 50-55 bucks how much is he worth now if he was worth 50-55 before the holdout? I'm thinking 40-45 would be a pretty good price for him correct?